VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

**Wookies in the Woods 2011**

271K views 5K replies 161 participants last post by  RRRRR32 
#1 · (Edited)

Follow us on Twitter for up to date info and specific information on sponsors and exclusive offers.

http://twitter.com/WiTW11

Why Wookies?

Wookies started as a reference to the ever so sweet sound of the R32 exhaust note echoing through the Great Smokey Mountains on a a dark, desolate night.

What is Wookies In The Woods?

Wookies In The Woods is an annual gathering of .:R32 and Volkswagen enthusiasts at the ever so infamous Dragon, US129, in Robbinsville, NC. The Dragon, which is known internationally for its 318 curves in eleven miles, is the United States’ number one motorcycle and sports car road. The weekend event kicks off with small get-together meets on Friday, small group runs through the Dragon and concludes with a big group barbecue on Saturday as well as a bonfire.

Come out and see what the Dragon has to offer, and you will surely not be disappointed. However, please be sure to remember to stay on your side of the road at all times and to NEVER out drive yourself or your car. Most importantly, stay safe and be courteous to all. See you in April.

Dates: April 21, 22, 23, 24th 2011.
Place: Fontana Village
Lodge room w/ 2 queen beds or w/ 1 king bed - $85 per night.
2 bedroom 1 bath Laurel Cabin - $119 per night
3 bedroom 2 bath Azalea Cabin - $249 per night

Reservations must be paid by March 1, 2011 for special group rate.

This year will be less formally organized. We noticed over the past events that the sub groups are much better at organizing their own drives. The big drive has become to large to keep together so we encourage individuals to organize their own "parties" to explore some of the roads away from the Dragon. Please do not start new threads to do this. Do it in here. This has been requested of us to keep the event in 1 thread.

Instead of being a fully sponsored event we will be selling some apparel for funding. More details to come. We are looking for sponsors of raffle items.

A banquet or RBQ is possible. If Tapoco becomes available we may be able to do something there. Fontana is an options as well as Dragons Rest Motorcycle Resort. More details to follow.

We will have a Facebook page up for the event. This will be announced soon.

Anyone interested in designing a Wookie logo can contact us. Email is preferred and those links are in our profiles. You can contact Harepower, Mooney, or PSU.

Rules of the event
1. Stay on your side of the road.
2. Don't out drive yourself.
3. Be courteous to all.
4. Be there or be square.

List of Attendees
01. Mooney (MKIV) Brian
02. Gdown (MKIV) Grant
03. Harepower +2 (MKIV) Chris
04. PSU +1 (MKV) Armando
05. VWTechR32 (MKIV) Don
06. The Sage +1 (MKIV) Jesse
07. vdub_jetta (MKIV)
08. Rmetiz167 (MKIV)
09. Aures (S4) Joe
10. CopeXXX (MKIV)T
11. L_I_V_I_N (MKIV)
12. DubR32G (MKIV) Johannes
13. benyates (MIKIV) Ben
14. shinnersVR6 (MKIV)
15. ZPrime (MKV) Braden
16. motoo344 (MKIV GLI)
17. AbeR +1 (MKV) Abe
18. Rajuncajun37 +1 (MKIV)
19. Raveyn (MKIV) Teresa
20. blueduece (MKIV)
21. lil_kano (MKIV)
22. Hotdog453 (Evo X)
22a. TN.:RThirtyTwo +1 (MKV) Nathan
23. RRRRR32 (MKV) David
24. meechelle (MKV GTI) Michelle
25. R32dub88 (MKIV) Joel
26. BigRed32 (MKV) Pat
27. Boudah (MKIV) Ellery
31. VRptstyly (MKIV)
32. OrlandoR +1 (MKIV)
33. big byrd (MKV)
34. LiquidCipher (S4) Scott
35. luckypenney (MKIV)
36. willbarnes2 (MKV) William
37. ADK RS4 (Carrera S) Jesse
38. CSlowR32 (MKV) Al
39. MisradR32 (MKIV)
40. Gotsol (MKV)
41. Doedrums (MKIV)
42. Austrian Beauty (MKIV)
43. SEE YA (MKIV)
44. RepulsiveSalvation +1 (MKIV R)
45. vdubnhead (MKV) Brian
46. turbogti03 (MKIV)
47. Skela +1 (SKELATOR!!!!!)
48. C2 Motorsports +3 (Turbo R's) Chris
49. Cortexiphan +1 (MKIV) Tim
50. blue.:32s (MKIV)
51. Kman Veedub Guy (MKIV)
52. Austrianbeauty (MKIV)
53. pawa_k2001 (MKIV GTI)
54. Think-ur-fast (MKV GTI)
55. dubcc (MKIV)
56. Rhodesman (335i)
57. Airy32 (MKIV)
58. ValleyGTI (Mini)
59. ThatVdub (MKIV)
60. Paint_By_Numbers (MKIV) Mark
61. rabbitgtibbar (MKIV)
62. oldracer +1 (MKV) John
63. dubnick32 (MKV) Nick
64. gabe@bwperformance +1 (MKIV R32) Gabe
69. Basil Fawlty (01 Golf 3.2 AWD)

See less See more
#3,586 ·
T-minus 3 hours... I'll see you guys late tonight.. for those of you who might still be awake..:beer::beer:

#3,602 ·
Greetings!

I am new vortex and totally stoked about this event! I have had my MKV since October after trading my MKV Rabbit. Looking forward to meeting everybody when when I head out tomorrow (if anyone is still awake when I get there...)!

I can't head out until tomorrow due to work, and I have to leave Saturday evening due to family/Easter things... but I'm thinking this is still going to be awesome! :thumbup:

#3,605 ·
Here are a few more shots from the night run we did through the skyline drive.

Link on Flickr

Link on Flickr

Link on Flickr

Link on Flickr

Link on Flickr

Car update: It's running at about 50-60% what it can be. Mooney discovered my radiator fan is not cooling like it should which is causing it to overheat which messes with the vanos (variable valve timing) which throws a code and sends my car to limp mode (or thats what our best educated guess is). I found sticking to under 5k RPMs (negating the vanos system) and every time I stop, popping the hood to cool the engine, works well. Only two limp modes today (both times I was being a bit too agressive). And in case you were curious, I'm still able to keep pace. :D :peace:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.