Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Changing rear brake light bulb - 2009 Jetta TDI

1. 12-26-2010 09:00 PM #1
      Hi all,

This may sound silly but I have trouble changing a light bulb for my wife's 2009 Jetta TDI, and need some help.

One of the rear brake lights on the driver's side is blown and needs a replacement. Usually the owner's manual will tell you how to change a light bulb. However, I am very surprise to find the manual telling you to take the car to an authorized dealer to change any light bulb!?!?

Anyway, I was able to locate the tab covering the rear light panel, removed the two connectors, and reach the two tabs underneath the bulb housing. However, I can't pull out the housing with bulbs.

Is there any service manual or diagram showing the assembly? I am not sure if I am pulling the right tabs to get the bulbs out. I only found the PDF found showing how to switch to LED rear light.

Thank you all… and Happy New Year.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      12-27-2010 05:05 PM #2
      Bump
      Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 1997 Jetta Sedan (RIP), 1995 Passat GLX, too many Air-cooleds (Beetles)
      12-27-2010 05:42 PM #3
      I think yours will still be like my '06 GLI. Once you've removed the carpeted panel the lamp housing is right there. What I had to do was work with the two retaining clip sections to get the bulb-holding assembly out...it will pull straight back. Swap out the bad bulb and then the bulb holder section should then essentially "snap" back in. Have needed to do this twice so far, lots of backed-up traffic and holding brakes on!