VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the s4 worth it?????

1. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-01-2011 08:29 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by schmoopy View Post
      FWIW, i paid 260 to have my belt changed and my gaskets changed and motor cleaned at my indy VW shop. If you avoid the dealer you will be much much happier with this car. My quote from the dealer for those 2 items was 830 lol.
      you supplied the parts i assume?

Even 260 bucks in labor seems very very low

They had to remove the bumper to do the belt no? Did you change the tensioner.

I aski because I will be doing mine soone.

Vehicles
      V8 $4
      02-01-2011 06:28 PM #27
      I didnt need to change the tensioner, and the belt actually still looked good. Its taking the bumper off, plus about 25 more minutes of work, its really not bad. Since they had to remove the air box stuff to get the belt off, they just did the gaskets at the same time. I think the billed time was 2.5 hours. I did supply parts, I got a mitsuboshi belt from carquest and oem gaskets, but it wasnt bad for parts.

I also changed spark plugs, oem bosch are not to expensive at any parts place. I changed the air filter to a K&N, I am running motul diff and engine oils now.

I did break a motor mount however. New thru the dealer is kinda pricey, 165 was the cheapest i found online. The car had a code for a broken passenger mount (it was probably on there from before I bought the car, shady audi dealer) and labor on that is looking like it will be 300ish. I will let you know.

3. 02-01-2011 08:39 PM #28
      Everything you have heard about S4 maintenance is true. It costs an arm and a leg to keep up, I have a very close relationship with my Indy mechanic but I still love the car. It makes me happy every time I get in it. I feed it 94 octane every other day but I love it. The sounds, the feel, the heft.. All of it rocks.

To make things better, tuning for the chain driven 4.2 has come a long long way in the past year or so.

So, to recap. Buying one is one thing, keeping it/running it is another. If you can do it, do it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-03-2011 09:02 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by schmoopy View Post
      I didnt need to change the tensioner, and the belt actually still looked good. Its taking the bumper off, plus about 25 more minutes of work, its really not bad. Since they had to remove the air box stuff to get the belt off, they just did the gaskets at the same time. I think the billed time was 2.5 hours. I did supply parts, I got a mitsuboshi belt from carquest and oem gaskets, but it wasnt bad for parts.

I also changed spark plugs, oem bosch are not to expensive at any parts place. I changed the air filter to a K&N, I am running motul diff and engine oils now.

I did break a motor mount however. New thru the dealer is kinda pricey, 165 was the cheapest i found online. The car had a code for a broken passenger mount (it was probably on there from before I bought the car, shady audi dealer) and labor on that is looking like it will be 300ish. I will let you know.
      How many miles were on the belt?

Vehicles
      V8 $4
      02-03-2011 01:27 PM #30
      The belt was previously changed at 35k, so approx 40k miles on the belt.

To add about the motor mount, I found that 034 and Stern Both make non-oem street style motor mounts for a little less than brand new OEM ones. I went with Stern mounts, the pair was 270, vs 165 for one oem.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-04-2011 09:28 AM #31
      My belt has 71k miles on it still looks fine so I will hold off to the recommended 75k. Hopefully that coincides with warmer weather. Not looking foward to pulling the bumper in the cold garage lol.

Vehicles
      V8 $4
      02-04-2011 11:28 AM #32
      Shine a flash light down there and see if you can see the back side of the belt. If it fails, the worst that will happen is your battery will drain and you'll need a tow. You wont really mess anything up since it only drives the alternator.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 3.6 Lux Pack #2, 2004 BMW 330CI Vert, 1994 Toyota Landcruiser
      02-08-2011 08:58 PM #33
      I to am looking to sell my 20th GTi..and towards an S4. I am looking at a 04 S4..70 thousand miles..Price is looking to be around 19k. It would not be a daily. Prob 5k a year or so max..more of a weekend car. Is it worth 19k? I have not driven one yet..i cant wait to. Will it hold that value well. Even on into higher mileage as well as say an M3 would?

9. 03-03-2011 05:33 PM #34
      In for next year when I go for a purchase.

Vehicles
      B6 S4, '00 CBR 929, 64 Pontiac Lemans
      03-08-2011 11:51 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by engineerd18t View Post
      I read on an audi forum (audizine I believe) that it's common for the clutches to go around 50k on the 2004's...any truth to this?
      I have over 100k on my original clutch...

Quote Originally Posted by owenjp View Post
      Everything you have heard about S4 maintenance is true. It costs an arm and a leg to keep up, I have a very close relationship with my Indy mechanic but I still love the car. It makes me happy every time I get in it. I feed it 94 octane every other day but I love it. The sounds, the feel, the heft.. All of it rocks.
      Maintenance is a bit of a thorn on my side... so far most of the problems i had were right after 50k mi. which were my fuel amount sending unit, bad AC pump, bad ignition coils, bad battery, and a pricey motor mount ( i never new they had sensors in them!). All in all, i feel that the S4 is a very solid car. On the annoying side, the plastic tabs for the reflective triangle broke from the constant shutting of the trunk door. Gotta keep an eye on the front control arm bushings though. When they wear out, your front tires will rub on the strut while turning and cost you new tires. BTW, owenjp, i hope you have a program on your car for that octane because there is no power to be gained from 94 octane fuel on a 91 octane program.
      "If no one has been offended by what you have done, you need a larger audience."

11. 03-09-2011 09:39 PM #36
      i just bought my 1st s4 80,000 miles drives great its a 4.2 v8 i knew what i was expecting on gas.. can't complain.. btw third party warranty is a must.. and i opted for it! just in case!!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      03-10-2011 12:55 PM #37
      I HATE red cars. Cannot stress that enough HAAAAATTTEEE. But some how on an S4 its just bad arse. Good looking car man.

I may be dumping my s4 though

For an avant S4

13. 03-10-2011 09:02 PM #38
      lol i love red!!! and thanks for the compliment!

14. 03-16-2011 09:26 PM #39
      Honestly?

Yes.

BKM

Vehicles
      90 G60 93 SLC, 99/5GLS, 00 GLXT,03GLI
      09-26-2012 01:27 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by shawny0123 View Post
      I love mine but I think it depends on your situation. It gets horrible gas mileage, but I drive 6 miles to work, so if you are worried about gas mileage it might not be for you. Also I live were winter time means a chance of snow so rear wheel drive was out of the question. If I lived somewhere warmer I might have considered a 335i or 135i but as my only car quatro was a must. I also found one with low miles (34,000) on a 2004 and would not have bought one with say 75,000 miles without a full maintenance history due to the huge service bills that come up as the miles go up. I would also hope you understand nothing is cheap in or on this car to work on so be prepared for that. I mean just taking the battery out of this beast is an undertaking all of itself. But at the end of the day when I hop in a full heated leather recaro interior and crank the big V8 and mash the peddle and the thing just grips like a beast crafted in the dark depths of a Bavarian forest that eats babies for lunch, there isn't another car on the planet that would make me happier.
      Fun hilarious im in the market toooooo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12