VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Would you buy a Scirocco in the US if it came with a 1.4 TSI engine?

12K views 50 replies 39 participants last post by  AeonNovro 
#1 ·
Just something to ponder . . .

Here in the US we don't have any version of the Scirocco available. It's been said that VWoA wouldn't want to cannibalize GTI or Golf sales and that the car would be too expensive if imported.

What if VWoA imported the Scirocco with only the 1.4 TSI 160 PS engine available? Note - this engine would provide the Scirocco with about an 8 second 0-60 time.

What about the 1.4 TSI 122 PS version with around a 9.5 second 0-60 time and billed as a fuel miser?

The idea would be to differentiate the Scirocco enough from the rest of the VWoA product offerings where it might have a chance of increasing sales instead of simply expanding the product mix with no increase in revenue. I don't believe the 1.4 TSI engine is currently available in North America but thought I'd throw this out to see what others might think.

#2 ·
I don't care what motor it comes with, I would buy one 100%.

I had the pleasure of driving and tuning the suspension on one in 2009 at KW Germany and loved every minute of it.

Besides, my first car was a 78 Scirocco & a 79 when the 78's floor pan decided it needed to compost ;). There something to be said for nostalgia, and the lengths we will go for a taste of the past :beer:

Glen @ AMI

#5 ·
wow

lately Vw has been disappointing me
they only put their good motors in Audi now. smh
since mk5 i havent liked much that ive seen..including the r32 which I preferred the mk4 version
with the scirocco should have been sold in the us i believe. It would have made more overall sales
and with such a tiny motor would be sad... i would have like to see the scirocco made with tdi's 2.5t's and 3.6 vr6's
My love for VW is in the mk4 and older generations..and i prefer the mk5 rabbit over any other mk5 and newer models

#11 · (Edited)
The 160HP - 170HP 1.4 TSI is both Super & Turbo charged (I hear they call this version "twincharged"). This same engine produces around 177 lbs/ft between 1750 - 3500 rpms.

There is another version of the 1.4 Tsi that is just turbo charged that produces about 125HP. And the naturally aspirated version that produces about 70-80HP.

On a related note regarding turbocharging a VR6. HPA has done as such and has produced interesting results with the naturally aspirated as well as the single and bi-turbos all based on the 3.6 VR6 engine. HP ranging from 300 HP (naturally aspirated VR6) to 640 for the bi-turbos.

You still can't compare an engine with more litres and cylinders vs. such a small motor. My point was that for such a small engine, they've squeezed alot from it despite how small it is. I mean, face it, 1.4 litres is bearly anything to work with. That they've pushed 170hp from it is pretty impressive.

#10 ·
if it came and i had the money i would so buy one

#14 · (Edited)
I've actually driven a turbo'd 3.2L VR6. Car was evil fast! I had to get used to it as it thrusted me into the seat lol. I do not doubt the potential that VR6 engine has. I am still rather impressed with the numbers they came up with on the 1.4. I'd kill to drive one just to see how it fairs on vehicles of such weight such as the Sirocco, GTI, and Eos.

#26 ·
Heck Yes!! My first US Scirroco was the 78 1.5 75HP and it was plenty fast enough with the US emissions. Of course than it weighed only 1990 Lbs:) But the TSI engine is more than enough power and economically great!! Bring it On!!

Spidey
11 GTI 4dr
6sp, SR Navi, Xenons
Black:cool:

#33 ·
I would def buy one:thumbup: not with a 1.4 though:screwy: mk3 gti's would eat it with 172 hp stock... Y downgrade such a beautiful car? Fuk that stupid a$$ new r and bring the Rocco over in limited numbers:thumbup: people are gunna pay an extra 10 g's for a haladex system and a bodykit:screwy::thumbdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.