Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      08-15-2011 08:41 AM #71
      I think some of you guys are getting a few things mixed up here.. On this thread and the golfmk6.com thread people are mentioning a howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load.. If you have an aftermarket intake with a cone filter, they will make that noise. It's harmonics created by the turbulent air going ito the filter. A TOB would make noise when you are actually using the clutch (takeoff, shift, etc)
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      08-15-2011 08:59 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      I think some of you guys are getting a few things mixed up here.. On this thread and the golfmk6.com thread people are mentioning a howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load.. If you have an aftermarket intake with a cone filter, they will make that noise. It's harmonics created by the turbulent air going ito the filter. A TOB would make noise when you are actually using the clutch (takeoff, shift, etc)
      Great response....I have this howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load due to my Forge Motorsports Twintake system. Now, the noise that I do have that I can't figure out is a quick high pitch squeal at start-up which only lasts 3-4 seconds. Clutch in to start car or off clutch to let idle, the sound is not affected by the clutch. I do have the SBC plate installed. At Waterfest, the SB representative said its the clutch plate warming up.

Does anyone else have this?

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 09:11 AM #73
      Find out if there's a way to jump the clutch pedal switch so that you could start the car in neutral without the clutch pedal being pushed. If it starts and still makes the noise that way, it isn't the clutch disk as it would be spinning with the flywheel instead of sitting stationary and possibly dragging? like when you have the clutch in and start it now
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      08-15-2011 09:27 AM #74
      how can I start it this way? have someone push the car and push down the start button while rolling?

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      08-15-2011 11:04 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew323 View Post
      Mine just started making this noise too. I might have noticed it this winter on one or 2 very seperate occasions. It seems to be becoming a regular thing as it has done it the past 2 mornings when leaving for work (first few starts coming out of my neighborhood in the am). Car has 35xxx km or 20 000 +/- miles.

Bone stock except for mods listed. No drop clutch launches but have been known to drive spirited on a daily basis once everything comes up to temp.

I will keep an eye on it, mention it at the next service at the dealer and see where it goes from there. I will keep in the loop as things develop...
      Hey brother, I've been having the same issue for the past year. The noise is most prevalent in the colder weather and when the clutch is under load (hill start, full passenger load) after being driven for a while in start/stop traffic.

One of the challenges is that the dealer will want to hear the sound so you have to replicate it. For me this would involve taking a day off work, driving around the city and getting to the dealer before the service dept. closes - frustrating!!

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 11:57 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      how can I start it this way? have someone push the car and push down the start button while rolling?
      no, the switch on the pedal probably completes or opens a circuit (on / off), so you may be able to unplug the wires going to it and jump the two pins on the wiring. if you take a multimeter and check the pins on the switch, it may show 0v going through, but when you push the pedal it may show the voltage going through it (completing the circuit). If that's the case, you could put a small piece of wire between the pins on the clip on the harness so it always reads voltage (thinks its pressed), and just start in neutral with the clutch out.

What I said above is just an example, so check / look online before attempting it. I don't know exactly how vw has the clutch switch setup, but basically to test that theory you'd be faking out the car so it thinks the clutch is pressed. If you do it, make sure you aren't in gear when you try to start, or the car will lurch forward. That's pretty much why they have the switch there to begin with

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      08-15-2011 12:24 PM #77
      Got it, thank you.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Rising Blue Golf R 4DR
      08-20-2011 07:11 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Hey brother, I've been having the same issue for the past year. The noise is most prevalent in the colder weather and when the clutch is under load (hill start, full passenger load) after being driven for a while in start/stop traffic.

One of the challenges is that the dealer will want to hear the sound so you have to replicate it. For me this would involve taking a day off work, driving around the city and getting to the dealer before the service dept. closes - frustrating!!
      Exactly, mine seems to have been better since posting, didn't notice it at all this week. The frustrating part is it only does it in the AM on the first few starts of the day so hypothetically I could have left the car at the dealer all week and they would have found nothing.
      As mentioned I will just keep on going as is and see/wait for it to get worse.

OT: which part of Ontario are you from, I am in Ottawa!

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      08-22-2011 11:08 AM #79
      Exactly, mine seems to have been better since posting, didn't notice it at all this week. The frustrating part is it only does it in the AM on the first few starts of the day so hypothetically I could have left the car at the dealer all week and they would have found nothing.
      As mentioned I will just keep on going as is and see/wait for it to get worse.

OT: which part of Ontario are you from, I am in Ottawa!
      Andrew, I'm in Toronto, Ontario. The weather's dipped a little around my area due to the thunderstorm yesterday. Drove into work this morning and I was greeted with the squealing/grinding for the first few starts. I've dealt with this before and it only gets worse as the weather gets colder.

I'm driving to the US this weekend so I will probably drop by the dealership this weekend on my way back home as the round trip should be fair enough to generate the noise for the service technicians.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      09-16-2011 06:22 PM #82
      I now have 30,000 on the car and fortunately, my clutch noise went away. i hope it doesn't return with the cold, though. :/

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-18-2011 12:40 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
      I now have 30,000 on the car and fortunately, my clutch noise went away. i hope it doesn't return with the cold, though. :/
      It will brother - temps have dropped in Toronto and I'm getting the chirp/squeak on the regular.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-18-2011 07:34 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      It will brother - temps have dropped in Toronto and I'm getting the chirp/squeak on the regular.
      Yeah, mine is back now and seems to be getting worse now that temps are cooler. Usually only the first 1-3 lauches of the day and then nothing, even after sitting at work untouched for 10+ hours. I think for the past 5-6 mornings it has done it every day.

I am due for an oil service in about a week and will speak to them about it. I will see what kind of hoops they make me jump through to diagnose it and let you and everyone know. I have a feeling this is going to be tricky

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-19-2011 10:17 AM #85
      Yeah, mine is back now and seems to be getting worse now that temps are cooler. Usually only the first 1-3 lauches of the day and then nothing, even after sitting at work untouched for 10+ hours. I think for the past 5-6 mornings it has done it every day.

I am due for an oil service in about a week and will speak to them about it. I will see what kind of hoops they make me jump through to diagnose it and let you and everyone know. I have a feeling this is going to be tricky
      Keep us posted andrew323, I had 3 'chirps' this morning.l

14. 09-19-2011 11:01 AM #86
      My noise is becoming more severe and more regular as the temps drop. Screeching in morning on the first couple launches right @ the friction point in the clutch throw. Then it’s gone for the rest of the day. Took it to the dealer over the summer to try and replicate with no such luck… The event is still a bit sporadic… my hope is that as it gets cooler it will become more frequent and that replicating will be cake. My warranty expired between my summer attempt and now… hope they honor the documented issue!

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-20-2011 11:05 AM #87
      ^^^
      If you're out of warranty they might say it's a wear and tear issue. Point to this thread for reference and good luck.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2011 10:31 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by BM 20 View Post
      My noise is becoming more severe and more regular as the temps drop. Screeching in morning on the first couple launches right @ the friction point in the clutch throw. Then it’s gone for the rest of the day. Took it to the dealer over the summer to try and replicate with no such luck… The event is still a bit sporadic… my hope is that as it gets cooler it will become more frequent and that replicating will be cake. My warranty expired between my summer attempt and now… hope they honor the documented issue!
      Mine sounds the exact same! Same problem and same sound. I am going for service next week so we will see.

17. 09-21-2011 12:27 AM #89
      Problem is replicating the noise @ the dealer ... I took my car in over the summer, even left it over night and tried to replicate the noise... nothing happened in the morning w/ the tech. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of leaving it there for a week to catch the day it will screech like a banshie... Anyway, hope it gets more regular and I can replicate it for them / they take care of it??? We'll see. It's soo strange that it happens so intermittently. And something is clearly wrong, I mean it's loud and I can feel it in the clutch pedal when it happens. It's metal on metal, makes me cringe when it happens!

18. 09-21-2011 12:57 PM #90
      I have a stock 2010 and I'm having my third clutch release bearing fitted in 26k...

My VR6 clutch system lasted well over 100,000 miles.

This one hasn't been abused, they just don't make them like they used to...

19. 09-21-2011 01:42 PM #91
      Problem is replicating the noise @ the dealer ...
      I had this problem too - thankfully it was singing this morning...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      09-21-2011 09:43 PM #92
      ha, it chirped the other morning when it was cooler out. :bang head:

I have my 30,000 service next Friday, hopefully it'll be cold then, i'll ask them to listen for it.

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      09-22-2011 12:07 AM #93
      same thing for me since last winter...but only when its cold!...i dont get it...im gonna have it checked out when i get hom eform H2o...hopefully like everyone else i can replicate it when i go in..

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-22-2011 08:57 AM #94
      And something is clearly wrong, I mean it's loud and I can feel it in the clutch pedal when it happens. It's metal on metal, makes me cringe when it happens!
      Sounds like it is exactly the same issue as mine!

23. 09-28-2011 02:19 AM #95
      They've "adjusted my slave cylinder and it's stopped making the noise" sounds like bs to me. I doubt they ever changed the bearing either. I have a feeling I'll be back there in a week, assuming I can get the car back tomorrow.

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      09-28-2011 06:35 AM #96
      adjusted? there's not adjustment, it only fits in one way.
      If anyone is looking to replace their slave cylinder & TOB, order the TRW one off of ECS Tuning.

Vehicles
      09-28-2011 08:56 AM #97
      yeah it only fits in one place.. it's got 3 bolt flanges and slides over the top of the input shaft inside the bellhousing of the transmission. There is no adjustment.. plus with all the work to get to it, you'd just replace it

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-28-2011 09:45 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      yeah it only fits in one place.. it's got 3 bolt flanges and slides over the top of the input shaft inside the bellhousing of the transmission. There is no adjustment.. plus with all the work to get to it, you'd just replace it
      I suspect that the dealers are being shady and billing VW each time the car is brought in for warranty work. No sense for them to get it right the first time, particularly if VW is paying for it. I believe that this what my dealer is up to as I've had to take my car up to 2-3X for obvious warranty work.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-28-2011 10:03 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      adjusted? there's not adjustment, it only fits in one way.
      If anyone is looking to replace their slave cylinder & TOB, order the TRW one off of ECS Tuning.
      Hyde, are you running the TRW part on your car?

HarryBMS, how is your F revision TOB holding out now that the weather is cooler?

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      09-28-2011 10:09 AM #100
      Yes, when I installed my new silent design clutch kit, my shop used the TRW version over the OEM VW.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...3#post73569503

Vehicles
      MK6 JSW 2.5L
      09-28-2011 12:09 PM #101
      I will be taking in my CC soon for the same problem. it started a few months ago and I only have 18k on it.
      gone: 07 Rabbit, 07 A4, 08 R32, 10 CC, 81 Rabbit

EVAC

30. Member
      Vehicles
      09-28-2011 03:01 PM #102
      Just got a call from the dealer, they want to pull the transmission to see what's going on. Apparently there is oil getting into somewhere it is not supposed to be and they need to have a better look to diagnose. He forewarned me it could be a few more days before things get taken care of.
      Anyway, will see what happens and keep everyone posted.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-29-2011 09:44 AM #103
      Just got a call from the dealer, they want to pull the transmission to see what's going on. Apparently there is oil getting into somewhere it is not supposed to be and they need to have a better look to diagnose. He forewarned me it could be a few more days before things get taken care of.
      Anyway, will see what happens and keep everyone posted.
      Andrew, they said the same thing to me. Ask them to e-mail/fax you a list of the parts that they will be replacing BEFORE they actually do any work. You need to ensure that TOB/Slave Cylinder is listed on the part list.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 02:33 PM #104
      The advisor there called me this AM and said there were some "leaky seals" that need replacing and since the oil was inside the area where the clutch is (not sure of the term on FWD car - bellhousing?) they were going to be changing that.

Why do you say the TOB/Slave cylinder need to be changed? Are they the defective parts? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this topic, I understand the general workings of transmissions but not some of these technical details

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-29-2011 11:30 PM #105
      Hey Andrew, I highly recommend you read pages 1 and 2. I've posted my entire ordeal here - make a long story short, it may be a faulty TOB/Slave Cylinder that's sprung a leak.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast