Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      04-21-2011 08:33 AM #51
      Harry please keep us posted, I'm very interested in this part if it truly is the upgraded version.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-21-2011 09:48 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      Harry please keep us posted, I'm very interested in this part if it truly is the upgraded version.

I just called the dealer and was told that the TOB replaced in the car is a new one. They are not sure if it is a revised part or not, but they told me they'll find out for certain if it is or isn't and give me a call later on. I'll post up the news.
      BALKAN MOTORSPORTS - "YOUR EITHER A CRUISER OR A BRUISER"

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      04-21-2011 10:31 AM #53
      Just talked to JC@DouglasVW, here's what he said about the part number.

"VW has used the same 6spd release bearing since 2002 with the 337 all the way up to present 6spd manuals. The part number has changed several times and we have always seen one let go here and their but I wouldn't worry about it. We use a factory release bearing on all our twin disc clutch cars that make over 1000whp so you guys have nothing to worry about. "

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      04-21-2011 12:28 PM #54
      I’m getting conflicting info, now Paul@KefferVW said:

“The F is the most current revision of this part #"

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-21-2011 03:05 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      I’m getting conflicting info, now Paul@KefferVW said:

“The F is the most current revision of this part #"
      Hyde thanks for the research, I just got off the phone with Compass VW and they've told me the same thing. So for now, were good it seems. Keep Dubbin my friends.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      04-22-2011 10:00 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by HarryBMS View Post
      Hyde- to be honest, the only way of knowing really would be to just wait. You'll know you need it replaced the second you start getting an annoying high pitched/howl/whine/screech coming from your clutch. About 98% of us all hear it engaging into first gear, usually with the clutched depressed half way up engaging into first gear. You can't miss it. For me I heard it the second I would engage into first AND reverse. I highly recommend you just bring into the dealer and tell them your hearing it. (even if you aren't) in and out of this thread many just about most MK5/MK6 drivers are experiencing this. It's a good thing you replaced your clutch, the clutches on these cars are horrible.
      And cobra if you aren't to far from Middletown, NY (upstate) I can have my VW dealer check it out for you, just let me know.

COBRA-- your welcome on the info bro. And it is DEFF. A warrantied part, do not let the dealer turn into a stealer and have you pay for it. Bring it to different VW dealers if you can, most will actually co-operate with you the car being modified or not and warranty it.
      HarryBMS, the 'stealer' is insisting that I take the car back to them so they hear the damn hoot/chirp again before they initiate any further work. The problem now is that I only hear it few and far between so I can't consistently replicate it, whereas in January it was unbearable and easily replicated in first and reverse. My damn service invoice says the part was on 'Back Order' but they're saying the mechanic 'looked' at the part when doing the warranty work and didn't need to replace it. My theory is that they replaced my clutch/flywheel and left out the TOB as it was on back order. I've actually contacted VW Canada regarding this issue but I'm getting nowhere. It's unnerving for me as I know my car is not fixed properly...

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      04-23-2011 11:52 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      HarryBMS, the 'stealer' is insisting that I take the car back to them so they hear the damn hoot/chirp again before they initiate any further work. The problem now is that I only hear it few and far between so I can't consistently replicate it, whereas in January it was unbearable and easily replicated in first and reverse. My damn service invoice says the part was on 'Back Order' but they're saying the mechanic 'looked' at the part when doing the warranty work and didn't need to replace it. My theory is that they replaced my clutch/flywheel and left out the TOB as it was on back order. I've actually contacted VW Canada regarding this issue but I'm getting nowhere. It's unnerving for me as I know my car is not fixed properly...
      Being that they replaced your clutch/flywheel it will be hard for the sound to be replicated. BUT!! Being that they did have the TOB on back order for your car, they have to replace it. They are the the ones that ordered it for the car in the first place and them not installing it, they've only done have the job. You should call VW of Canada again and explain the situation to them. Tell them how only half the job was completed and that your still hearing the noise, tell them they had ordered the part and are not installing it because "they" cannot replicate the noise because of the clutch/flywheel being installed. In the long run when the noise does come back even worse, you'll have to replace the intended TOB, and the most likely the clutch and flywheel again. By the time this all happens you'll probably be out of warranty and that won't be fun. So I suggest you be persistent with VW if Canada and bring it to another dealer. Chances are the dealer that did the work already won't want to bother with it again. Dont let up bro keep at it, they'll keep refusing until you give up.

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      05-02-2011 04:49 PM #58

Vehicles
      2010 Wolfsburg / TSI / 6MT
      05-03-2011 06:34 PM #59
      Guys I had this issue and I got it resolved. Please reference my posts on the first page of this thread to see EXACTLY what happened.

PS many of you are describing different noises, some of which AREN'T the noise I experienced. My noise was more of a nasty grind, that always occurred when going uphill. The noise was very audible and the dealership had no problem acknowledging something was wrong. If you have this problem, I suggested you get it fixed immediately if your car is still under warranty. See my posts on page 1 hopefully this helps.

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI
      05-04-2011 10:12 AM #60
      Question, i'm at 53K miles on my TSI. I've heard this sound since I bought the car back in 08, but thought nothing of it. I have the extended warranty, so should this be covered under that or will they say there's just too many miles on my car and it's falling on my shoulders?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      05-08-2011 01:36 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      Question, i'm at 53K miles on my TSI. I've heard this sound since I bought the car back in 08, but thought nothing of it. I have the extended warranty, so should this be covered under that or will they say there's just too many miles on my car and it's falling on my shoulders?

It shoulddeff. be covered under the extended warranty, and you should deff. bring it in.

12. 05-18-2011 06:25 PM #62
      From what I'm told, pressure plate, clutch, and TOB are considered wear items and not covered under warranty.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      05-19-2011 12:18 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
      From what I'm told, pressure plate, clutch, and TOB are considered wear items and not covered under warranty.
      I had my TOB replaced under warranty, i even asked if theyd be willing to replace my clutch with a stage 1 SBC under warranty, and they said they would. i know that this wouldnt be considered warranty but considering the amount of work i bring them, they didnt have a problem with it. some dealers arent all stealers. lol

Vehicles
      metropass
      05-19-2011 10:43 AM #64
      They are part of the powertrain. Wear items are tires, brake disks and pads, oil, light bulbs, etc...

15. 05-19-2011 04:34 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by HarryBMS View Post
      I had my TOB replaced under warranty, i even asked if theyd be willing to replace my clutch with a stage 1 SBC under warranty, and they said they would. i know that this wouldnt be considered warranty but considering the amount of work i bring them, they didnt have a problem with it. some dealers arent all stealers. lol
      The TOB might be under warranty since "bearings" are covered, but wear and tear items like the clutch disc, pressure plate, and springs are not covered under the powertrain warranty from what I know. It sounds like you got lucky rather than it explicitly being covered under warranty.

16. 05-19-2011 04:35 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by O_o View Post
      They are part of the powertrain. Wear items are tires, brake disks and pads, oil, light bulbs, etc...
      They might be part of the powertrain but they are still wear and tear items.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Stage 2+, 2007 Z4M Coupe
      05-20-2011 06:21 AM #67

Vehicles
      metropass
      05-20-2011 09:49 AM #68
      They might be part of the powertrain but they are still wear and tear items.
      Sorry. The clutch disks are wear & tear items. The rest of the clutch (including TOB) is covered under the powertrain warranty.

Vehicles
      metropass
      05-20-2011 09:55 AM #69
      @plasmasd: that sounds like just the vacuum vent, which is normal.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Rising Blue Golf R 4DR
      08-14-2011 05:35 PM #70
      Mine just started making this noise too. I might have noticed it this winter on one or 2 very seperate occasions. It seems to be becoming a regular thing as it has done it the past 2 mornings when leaving for work (first few starts coming out of my neighborhood in the am). Car has 35xxx km or 20 000 +/- miles.

Bone stock except for mods listed. No drop clutch launches but have been known to drive spirited on a daily basis once everything comes up to temp.

I will keep an eye on it, mention it at the next service at the dealer and see where it goes from there. I will keep in the loop as things develop...

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      08-15-2011 08:41 AM #71
      I think some of you guys are getting a few things mixed up here.. On this thread and the golfmk6.com thread people are mentioning a howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load.. If you have an aftermarket intake with a cone filter, they will make that noise. It's harmonics created by the turbulent air going ito the filter. A TOB would make noise when you are actually using the clutch (takeoff, shift, etc)
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      08-15-2011 08:59 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      I think some of you guys are getting a few things mixed up here.. On this thread and the golfmk6.com thread people are mentioning a howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load.. If you have an aftermarket intake with a cone filter, they will make that noise. It's harmonics created by the turbulent air going ito the filter. A TOB would make noise when you are actually using the clutch (takeoff, shift, etc)
      Great response....I have this howling / whistle at WOT or heavy load due to my Forge Motorsports Twintake system. Now, the noise that I do have that I can't figure out is a quick high pitch squeal at start-up which only lasts 3-4 seconds. Clutch in to start car or off clutch to let idle, the sound is not affected by the clutch. I do have the SBC plate installed. At Waterfest, the SB representative said its the clutch plate warming up.

Does anyone else have this?

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      08-15-2011 09:11 AM #73
      Find out if there's a way to jump the clutch pedal switch so that you could start the car in neutral without the clutch pedal being pushed. If it starts and still makes the noise that way, it isn't the clutch disk as it would be spinning with the flywheel instead of sitting stationary and possibly dragging? like when you have the clutch in and start it now
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      08-15-2011 09:27 AM #74
      how can I start it this way? have someone push the car and push down the start button while rolling?

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      08-15-2011 11:04 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew323 View Post
      Mine just started making this noise too. I might have noticed it this winter on one or 2 very seperate occasions. It seems to be becoming a regular thing as it has done it the past 2 mornings when leaving for work (first few starts coming out of my neighborhood in the am). Car has 35xxx km or 20 000 +/- miles.

Bone stock except for mods listed. No drop clutch launches but have been known to drive spirited on a daily basis once everything comes up to temp.

I will keep an eye on it, mention it at the next service at the dealer and see where it goes from there. I will keep in the loop as things develop...
      Hey brother, I've been having the same issue for the past year. The noise is most prevalent in the colder weather and when the clutch is under load (hill start, full passenger load) after being driven for a while in start/stop traffic.

One of the challenges is that the dealer will want to hear the sound so you have to replicate it. For me this would involve taking a day off work, driving around the city and getting to the dealer before the service dept. closes - frustrating!!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast