Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

Vehicles
      MK6 JSW 2.5L / 71 Squareback / Suzuki M109R
      09-28-2011 12:09 PM #101
      I will be taking in my CC soon for the same problem. it started a few months ago and I only have 18k on it.
      gone: 07 Rabbit, 07 A4, 08 R32, 10 CC, 81 Rabbit

EVAC

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Rising Blue Golf R 4DR
      09-28-2011 03:01 PM #102
      Just got a call from the dealer, they want to pull the transmission to see what's going on. Apparently there is oil getting into somewhere it is not supposed to be and they need to have a better look to diagnose. He forewarned me it could be a few more days before things get taken care of.
      Anyway, will see what happens and keep everyone posted.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-29-2011 09:44 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew323 View Post
      Just got a call from the dealer, they want to pull the transmission to see what's going on. Apparently there is oil getting into somewhere it is not supposed to be and they need to have a better look to diagnose. He forewarned me it could be a few more days before things get taken care of.
      Anyway, will see what happens and keep everyone posted.
      Andrew, they said the same thing to me. Ask them to e-mail/fax you a list of the parts that they will be replacing BEFORE they actually do any work. You need to ensure that TOB/Slave Cylinder is listed on the part list.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 02:33 PM #104
      The advisor there called me this AM and said there were some "leaky seals" that need replacing and since the oil was inside the area where the clutch is (not sure of the term on FWD car - bellhousing?) they were going to be changing that.

Why do you say the TOB/Slave cylinder need to be changed? Are they the defective parts? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this topic, I understand the general workings of transmissions but not some of these technical details

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      09-29-2011 11:30 PM #105
      Hey Andrew, I highly recommend you read pages 1 and 2. I've posted my entire ordeal here - make a long story short, it may be a faulty TOB/Slave Cylinder that's sprung a leak.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2011 11:22 AM #106
      So got the car back yesterday and everything now seems good. There was delay picking the cart up howeve because reverse was not engaging. It was like it didn't even exist. I guess they had to remove the shift linkage on the transmission and didn't get things fully adjusted before I picked it up.

Anyway, the notes made on the invoice include replacement of slave cylinder, release bearing, input seal and shifter. The parts list includes a clutch kit and miscelanious parts (bolts, selas, sleeves, etc)

As I said, everything seems good, just want to get things broken in over the next week or so. My only regret is I didn't have more time when they had things apart and order up a heavier duty clutch so I can get flashed later on down the line.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help, especially the info Cobra King provided.

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      10-04-2011 11:54 AM #107
      Can you post a scan of the receipt or the parts list?

8. 10-09-2011 03:31 PM #108
      Had mine checked out at the dealer. Took the transmission out and checked everything out. Everything looked fine. No leaks or anything. They replaced the TOB and it's still making the noise. So, the TOB itself does not appear to be the fix.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2011 03:50 PM #109
      Am going to scan now and try. I have never poseted anything but looks simple enough.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      10-14-2011 12:38 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
      Had mine checked out at the dealer. Took the transmission out and checked everything out. Everything looked fine. No leaks or anything. They replaced the TOB and it's still making the noise. So, the TOB itself does not appear to be the fix.
      Yikes! So you either get all the pieces replaced or none at all!

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      10-14-2011 12:39 AM #111
      Andrew, any updates? It's been a week now, is your car driving OK? No more chirping?

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      10-14-2011 08:15 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Yikes! So you either get all the pieces replaced or none at all!
      Well, the TOB and slave cylinder are one unit, so they get replaced at the same time
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2011 04:56 PM #113
      Sorry, I got lazy with the invoice when it seemed I needed webhosting to post a photocopy. I do have a PDF version if anyone wants to see it/me to send it to them.

Everything else is good, I followed this sort of break-in with the new unit: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ind-break.html
      and have had good luck.

Everything seems to be the same as new and working well. No noise or weird behaviour. Maybe it is just me, temps are getting cooler, or my tires are wearing but the car seems stronger in lower gears (spins more in 1st and 2nd). Other than that everything else seems normal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

14. 10-17-2011 05:57 PM #114
      My car is still with VW. I called the head office place and said I was disappointed in the car and the face it's been in so many times for the same problem... they got onto the dealer straight away and authorized them to fix whatever was wrong. The dealer ordered a new clutch but called earlier today and said I now need a new flywheel too and they're trying to source one... That'll be slave, release bearing, clutch and flywheel... I think this is week 5, to replace what I said was wrong to begin with.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      10-17-2011 06:47 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by dunc_b View Post
      My car is still with VW. I called the head office place and said I was disappointed in the car and the face it's been in so many times for the same problem... they got onto the dealer straight away and authorized them to fix whatever was wrong. The dealer ordered a new clutch but called earlier today and said I now need a new flywheel too and they're trying to source one... That'll be slave, release bearing, clutch and flywheel... I think this is week 5, to replace what I said was wrong to begin with.
      dunc_b, from what everyone is saying you have to get every component replaced. Not just the TOB/Slave cylinder OR the flywheel.

I'm going to be taking my car in soon, as the colder weather has made the noise more prominent. I'll be give you guys updates.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      10-17-2011 06:48 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew323 View Post
      Sorry, I got lazy with the invoice when it seemed I needed webhosting to post a photocopy. I do have a PDF version if anyone wants to see it/me to send it to them.

Everything else is good, I followed this sort of break-in with the new unit: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ind-break.html
      and have had good luck.

Everything seems to be the same as new and working well. No noise or weird behaviour. Maybe it is just me, temps are getting cooler, or my tires are wearing but the car seems stronger in lower gears (spins more in 1st and 2nd). Other than that everything else seems normal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
      andrew, can you please do some tests with the car under load? ie. Hill start, full passengers.

17. 10-17-2011 07:02 PM #117
      If I can a decent amount trade in I think my VW days might be numbered... I was discussing it with the other half last night and we both said we can deal with Audi/VW niggles, it's the taking it back 5 times for the same problem that gets old! My family has a long history with VW's - I've had 5 golfs and a touareg myself but I'm running out of patience.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2011 08:35 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      andrew, can you please do some tests with the car under load? ie. Hill start, full passengers.
      Everything seems good, my daily commute doesn't take me on any hills but I will keep an eye out. Launches seem good with no noise and positive hookup. I should have a few friends in the car this weekend but like I said, when the problem first reared its head, the issue only happened in the morning under the first or second launch of the day. The rest were fine even after sitting for 10 -12 hours.

19. 10-19-2011 01:18 PM #119
      Picked my car up yesterday, new clutch, flywheel, release bearing and slave... so far no noises and everything is working as it should. Thankyou VW of America.

20. 10-22-2011 12:20 PM #120
      Completely normal. A good friend is the service department for vw in toronto and he explained that it cant be prevented. In cold weather especially...nothin to worry about mine did it when it was bone stock and now still does it. No worries man.

Quote Originally Posted by txbdan View Post
      hey guys,

i'm a little nervous...

I have a 2010 gti with 15500 miles on it. It's been apr stage i chipped from 1500 miles. The only mods are the chip software and an s3 intercooler, nothing else. I've driving the car on a lot of road trips, but i also drive a good bit in the city in traffic every day.

This doesn't happen every time, it sort of comes and goes. Normally when it does happen, it'll happen for that entire trip. It seems to happen more when its cold, but that could be a coincidence.

What happens is when i release the clutch, just as i'm about to release it all the way at the top of the pedal, it will chirp. It sounds almost like an owl going hoooo. Sort of a highish freq resonance sort of sound and i can almost feel the resonance through the pedal. It only lasts for the length of time the clutch is at the top of the release so not long. Its pretty loud, anyone in the car can hear it no problem.

Its been happening for the past 3500 miles or so. Its not really getting any more frequent, sort of hit or miss really.

I'm thinking its either some sort of clutch chatter or resonance or mabye even a heat shield or something resonating.

I had the car in before 12k for service (door alignment) and had them listen for it but of course they couldnt replicate. I'm beyond my wear and tear warranty if it is the clutch, but they said they might be able to help me out since i reported it early.

Any ideas?

21. 10-22-2011 10:01 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      Well, the TOB and slave cylinder are one unit, so they get replaced at the same time
      Only my TOB was replaced and not my slave cylinder. If they are one unit, they can be separated easily.
      Last edited by FliGi7; 10-23-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      10-23-2011 10:08 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by cdpiersa View Post
      Completely normal. A good friend is the service department for vw in toronto and he explained that it cant be prevented. In cold weather especially...nothin to worry about mine did it when it was bone stock and now still does it. No worries man.
      Are you a dealer? Would your friend accept the same response if a CEL came on?

No offense but my 2007 Civic 5MT, parked outside never made any squeaking or chirping noises. And what about VW's other MT vehicles? Is it normal for them to make noises like this? What about VW's older manual transmissions? Can anyone with an older MT VW product chime in?

I'm sorry man but it gets pretty darn cold in Germany and there's no reason for our cars to be making noises like this. Also, the chirping/squeaking/hooting happens in warmer weather too - especially after heavy clutch use - i.e. stop/start traffic in downtown Toronto.

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      10-23-2011 10:20 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
      Only my TOB was replaced and not my slave cylinder. If they are one unit, they can be separated easily.
      I don't think they can be split, When I did mine it seemed like an all in one unit
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

24. 10-23-2011 11:56 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      I don't think they can be split, When I did mine it seemed like an all in one unit
      I asked the tech (a friend of mine) who did the replacement and that's what he told me. Only my TOB was replaced.

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      10-24-2011 05:46 AM #125
      It's one unit for sure.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast