Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 394

    Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

    1. 11-05-2011 05:25 PM #141
      Since I had my TOB replaced it makes more noise in reverse on a decline than before. I suppose the upside is that it's more reproducible should I decide to take it in again.

    2. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-06-2011 11:20 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by stevenchkim View Post
      This car is has multiple personality disorder - or I'm crazy. Last night after I took out the dogbone mount insert, I was still getting the hooing noise, so I made an appointment with the dealer to see what they'd say. This morning I go on a 40mile trip with lots of city driving, and I got the noise like twice... I'm pretty sure the dealer won't notice on their test drive. I kind of hope the thing resolved itself, but know that's wishful thinking. WTF!
      Steve - I should have clarified, but I suggested that you remove the torque insert and stage II pipe so that the dealer is less likely to complain about powertrain mods.

      Ask the technician or foreman who's test driving your car to take it on a hill or incline. Make sure that you sit in the passenger seat. The more 'load' on the transmission the more likelier for the 'chirping/hooing'.

      If you have warranty, use it - don't upgrade your clutch with money out of your pocket.

    3. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-06-2011 11:32 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      As for the sound, it seems to be the TOB. I've had mine replaced once I put this SBC in but I still got the noise the other day for the first time and this is my 2nd winter. It only happens at 40 degrees or colder. I had the original VW TOB in last winter and now I have the TRW version from LUK (sold on ECS Tuning) which still makes the noise. My dealership will cover the TOB so I may have them install the original OEM VW TOB again to see if it goes away.
      Hyde - the TRW version is an older revision of the TOB/Slave Cylinder. The OEM part # is 0A5141671E while the current revision is 0A5141671F
      . It is my understanding that LUK is the official manufacturer for the part so you don't have a knock off - however ECS should really not be carrying an older revision.

    4. Junior Member stevenchkim's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI CW 2D 6MT
      11-07-2011 12:20 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Steve - I should have clarified, but I suggested that you remove the torque insert and stage II pipe so that the dealer is less likely to complain about powertrain mods.

      Ask the technician or foreman who's test driving your car to take it on a hill or incline. Make sure that you sit in the passenger seat. The more 'load' on the transmission the more likelier for the 'chirping/hooing'.

      If you have warranty, use it - don't upgrade your clutch with money out of your pocket.
      I understood you. I took out the insert b/c it was something I could do easily. I don't know if there was a causal relationship, but yesterday and today, after the insert came out, I can't readily duplicate the noise I had all last week. I tried to, and couldn't. At this point, maybe I don't have a problems that VW can remedy. I guess I'll just wait to see if it returns.

      Without the maddening hhoing, I can now look forward to the S3 IC install this Friday, and maybe I'll tackle the 2010 noisemaker delete the weekend after that.
      CTS K04 + APR | Carbonio 1+2 | UR TBE | S3 IC | S3 SS | P3 Gauge | KW V2 | SB S3 Daily | RB 4pot BBK | RSe07 18x8 et45 | Hankook Evo V12
      Flickr

    5. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-07-2011 05:24 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Hyde - the TRW version is an older revision of the TOB/Slave Cylinder. The OEM part # is 0A5141671E while the current revision is 0A5141671F
      . It is my understanding that LUK is the official manufacturer for the part so you don't have a knock off - however ECS should really not be carrying an older revision.
      Ahh crapola, that would be my issue then.....

      I had the original part in the car and didn't have the noise....

      Now I have the noise after installing the TRW verion....

      The dealership ordered the revised "F" part for me and will install soon....

      This will be the 3rd tear down of my clutch (2 at tuning shop / 1 at dealership).

    6. Member dwagner88's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Chattanooga, TN
      Posts
      792
      Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
      11-09-2011 04:33 PM #146
      I have a very slight chirp when I start from 1st. It only happens on the first time I pull away, and I can only hear it when the window is down. The car has APR stage 1, and has 26k on it. Clutch is otherwise fine, no slipping. I honestly didn't think much of it. It doesn't seem to affect driveability at all.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)

    7. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-09-2011 04:34 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Hyde - the TRW version is an older revision of the TOB/Slave Cylinder. The OEM part # is 0A5141671E while the current revision is 0A5141671F
      . It is my understanding that LUK is the official manufacturer for the part so you don't have a knock off - however ECS should really not be carrying an older revision.
      My GTI is at the dealership now for this latest TOB.

    8. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-11-2011 04:19 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Hyde - the TRW version is an older revision of the TOB/Slave Cylinder. The OEM part # is 0A5141671E while the current revision is 0A5141671F
      . It is my understanding that LUK is the official manufacturer for the part so you don't have a knock off - however ECS should really not be carrying an older revision.
      Got my car back from the dealer last night with two issues corrected.

      1) Initially, I brought the car in to address a squeal when I started the car. Many people thought it may be the belts, tensioner or water pump. It turns out my 2011 CCTA MKVI GTI already had the latest revised water pump (latest version includes metal fins instead of plastic fins in the pump). The startup squeal happened to be the starter. They replaced the old starter (part number 02M911023G) with a brand new starter (part number 02M911023GX). Now the car starts up like new, no squeals at all. I forgot how nice it was to hear the engine noise and not a squeal.

      2) A few days before my appointment the temperatures dropped below 40 degrees and I experienced the well-known and dreaded "Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo" noise when engaging the car in 1st gear or reverse. Without a doubt I knew it was my slave cylinder & throw out bearing (TOB). A few months back I installed the latest South Bend Stage 2 Daily Driver Silent Design Clutch Kit and thought I should replace the TOB while the transmission was down. Turns out the TOB that was installed was the older version which came in the 2010 models and was prone to this noise (part number 0A5141671E). For some reason, ECS still to this day sells this outdated part number but under the manufacturer name TRW even though all VW / Audi TOB's are supposedly produced by LUK. I made sure that my VW dealership ordered the latest revised TOB (part number 0A5141671F) to fix this issue. I'm happy to report that even though the temperatures are in the mid 40's today, I have had not one peep from the TOB. I will circle back to confirm 100% as soon as the temperatures drop well below 40 degrees (when I first noticed the issue).

      So note to self, avoid installing or replacing your TOB with this ECS part: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tch/ES1831913/

      Install or replace your TOB with this ECS / Dealership part: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tch/ES1851810/

      All in all I want to let everyone know that all of this work was warrantied and free of charge to the customer. Below is my recent statement of work with "NoCharge" for Total-Customer.

      Feel free to use this customer copy to show your dealerships that the work should be warrantied with no cost to you.


    9. Member SIMPLE_JOHN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2010
      Location
      Nutley NJ
      Posts
      365
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI K04-1
      11-12-2011 07:38 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
      I recorded the noise I get when its cold. It sounds like a clunk and then warms up a little and hoots a little. It happens when its less than about 40 degrees.

      Is this similar to what people have been experiencing?


      Damn! I have this squeaks long time ago.. just putting Lubs .. it happends during cold.

    10. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-12-2011 07:40 AM #150
      Charles take my service receipt to your dealer to get the TOB warrantied. If you have a 2010 gti you most likely have the old TOB.

    11. Member Ricky Bobby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2005
      Location
      Martinsville, NJ
      Posts
      2,307
      Vehicles
      2003 X5 3.0i 5SPD, 07 SV1Ks
      11-12-2011 10:52 PM #151
      which dealer do you go to? i usually deal with bernardsville but may be going to yours, for some reason i feel like my 08.5 has all these noises and could use a new TOB, starter, and water pump! and im at 46k haha
      Quote Originally Posted by Senor Pelligro
      It's a car for a fashion forward, style conscious guy that's always looking for the season's hottest accessory. A guy that watches Project Runway, reads TMZ, and drinks Cosmos.

      It's simply fabulous, sweetie.

    12. Member SIMPLE_JOHN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2010
      Location
      Nutley NJ
      Posts
      365
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI K04-1
      11-13-2011 04:08 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      Charles take my service receipt to your dealer to get the TOB warrantied. If you have a 2010 gti you most likely have the old TOB.
      Yes, I will - thanks man.

    13. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-16-2011 08:52 AM #153
      Everyone getting this noise - can you try the following (in a safe open area naturally)?

      Passat/CC - with the car stopped. Press the parking brake button and take off your seatbelt. Put the car in first and let off the clutch slowly. Do you hear the scraping/screetching as your car tries to move?

      GTI - engage the parking break fully and do the same as above.

      I hear of people getting multiple TOBs and Flywheels replaced but still having the chirping/screeching present. Is it possible that it's another component causing the noise? Engine mount?

      I'm looking for ideas here as I've done the above steps and I get the screeching/scraping noises.

      Thanks.

    14. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-16-2011 09:08 AM #154
      Tested my 2011 CCTA GTI with the latest (recently installed) "F" version throw out bearing in 1st and reverse, no noise.

    15. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-16-2011 11:24 AM #155
      Thanks HYDE. If I recall correctly you have the SBC kit and Revision F TOB.

      I'm on the OEM clutch with Revision F TOB.


    16. Senior Member MFZERO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2002
      Location
      Haverhill, Ma.
      Posts
      33,187
      Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      11-16-2011 04:42 PM #157
      I just want to point something out here.
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      They replaced the old starter (part number 02M911023G) with a brand new starter (part number 02M911023GX).
      That X means the part is rebuilt. It's not new.

    17. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-17-2011 02:13 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by MFZERO View Post
      I just want to point something out here.

      That X means the part is rebuilt. It's not new.
      Multiple revisions of a TOB floating around (D,E,F) and rebuilt parts being installed on a '11 model year car. Good job VAG!

    18. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-18-2011 08:10 AM #159
      I just wanted to circle back since my issue originally started when the November temperatures dropped below 40 degrees. Well this morning was crisp at 35 degrees. I started my car and let it warm up until the RPMs stepped down. I eased out of my driveway in reverse with the least amount of gas -> NO NOISE!

      I eased into 1st gear several times over the next 20 minute commute to work -> NO NOISE!

      I have no TOB noise anymore after getting this latest version installed.

      Keep in mind this is only one day of testing but the conditions were exactly the same as when it first occurred (same drive to work, below 40 degrees, using more clutch than gas to start moving forward).

      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      Got my car back from the dealer last night with two issues corrected.

      1) Initially, I brought the car in to address a squeal when I started the car. Many people thought it may be the belts, tensioner or water pump. It turns out my 2011 CCTA MKVI GTI already had the latest revised water pump (latest version includes metal fins instead of plastic fins in the pump). The startup squeal happened to be the starter. They replaced the old starter (part number 02M911023G) with a brand new starter (part number 02M911023GX). Now the car starts up like new, no squeals at all. I forgot how nice it was to hear the engine noise and not a squeal.

      2) A few days before my appointment the temperatures dropped below 40 degrees and I experienced the well-known and dreaded "Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo" noise when engaging the car in 1st gear or reverse. Without a doubt I knew it was my slave cylinder & throw out bearing (TOB). A few months back I installed the latest South Bend Stage 2 Daily Driver Silent Design Clutch Kit and thought I should replace the TOB while the transmission was down. Turns out the TOB that was installed was the older version which came in the 2010 models and was prone to this noise (part number 0A5141671E). For some reason, ECS still to this day sells this outdated part number but under the manufacturer name TRW even though all VW / Audi TOB's are supposedly produced by LUK. I made sure that my VW dealership ordered the latest revised TOB (part number 0A5141671F) to fix this issue. I'm happy to report that even though the temperatures are in the mid 40's today, I have had not one peep from the TOB. I will circle back to confirm 100% as soon as the temperatures drop well below 40 degrees (when I first noticed the issue).

      So note to self, avoid installing or replacing your TOB with this ECS part: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tch/ES1831913/

      Install or replace your TOB with this ECS / Dealership part: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tch/ES1851810/

      All in all I want to let everyone know that all of this work was warrantied and free of charge to the customer. Below is my recent statement of work with "NoCharge" for Total-Customer.

      Feel free to use this customer copy to show your dealerships that the work should be warrantied with no cost to you.


    19. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      11-18-2011 09:05 AM #160
      ^^^
      Hyde, I'm glad all your issues are resolved. I'm quite certain at this stage that if the car won't make the noise with the PARKING BRAKE engaged it probably won't make it at all. I hope that someone else can try what I suggested and get back to me.

    20. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      11-18-2011 09:07 AM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      ^^^
      Hyde, I'm glad all your issues are resolved. I'm quite certain at this stage that if the car won't make the noise with the PARKING BRAKE engaged it probably won't make it at all. I hope that someone else can try what I suggested and get back to me.
      Come on guys, he may be on to something, either way he's looking to see if people have a similar issue.
      Test this on your way out the door.

    21. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      12-12-2011 10:47 AM #162
      To all having this problem, there is currently NO fix. It appears to be specific to the CCTA/CBFA engine types with the 6MT transmission. Your dealer (depending on how much they care about after sales service) will either replace your clutch, flywheel & TOB under warranty (to no avail) or threaten you with $100+/hour diagnostic fees.

      VW (US/Canada) may not be aware of this, so we have to escalate this issue. Our cars are at the upper echelon in price of their segments and '09-'11 model vehicles should NOT be making any transmission noises period!

      Your dealer/technicians/salespeople will try to spin this off as a 'characteristic' but why didn't the '06-'08 models have this 'characteristic'? Furthermore why don't all manual/standard transmission vehicles (VW/non-VW) have this 'characteristic'?

      Please contact VW Canada/US as soon as possible. They have your service history based on your VIN.

      VW Canada

      Volkswagen Customer Relations
      Call: 1-800-822-8987
      Hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm EST, Monday to Friday

      VW of America

      Call 1-800-822-8987
      8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
      Local time in the contiguous United States
      Last edited by CobraKing; 12-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.

    22. Member Slayer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2000
      Location
      Windham CT
      Posts
      10,795
      Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      12-12-2011 04:49 PM #163
      Think this could have anything to do with the hill hold function and it dragging the brakes? would make sense that it only makes noise upon takeoff from a dead stop. I would think if it was a TOB, that it would make noise just about any time you used the clutch, since it's always putting the same amount of pressure on the TOB, no matter the gear
      Check out my Garage build thread -2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR stage2, 42DD 3" dp w/cat, 2 RAI o2 spacers, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Carbonio Stg1+2 intake, AWE dv relocation w/ GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, APR IC, South Bend Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, Dieselgeek SS, FFM shift bracket bushings, Forge big knob shifter, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection & USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's

    23. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-12-2011 04:50 PM #164
      That's a possibility, but there are some cars with this issue even after they disable the auto-hold/brake function (aka hill assist).

    24. Member sum41kid861's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2006
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      919
      Vehicles
      08 GTI
      12-12-2011 07:08 PM #165
      my car doesn't have auto hold...good ol 6spd lol

      either way my cars at the dealer right now for this and the water pump so i should know exactly what in the next couple days

    25. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-12-2011 08:40 PM #166
      Keep us posted on what they find or if they fix the noise.

    26. 12-13-2011 09:46 AM #167
      My TOB didn't start making noise until I hit the 45k mark, so just because you had the part replaced under warranty, does not mean it wont arise again in the future.

    27. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-13-2011 09:47 AM #168
      Correct, but more and more we feel it may not be the TOB.

    28. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      12-13-2011 11:33 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by sum41kid861 View Post
      my car doesn't have auto hold...good ol 6spd lol

      either way my cars at the dealer right now for this and the water pump so i should know exactly what in the next couple days
      Give us an update when you get the car back and please call VW of America when the clutch noise returns.

    29. Member CobraKing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      384
      12-13-2011 11:35 AM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
      My TOB didn't start making noise until I hit the 45k mark, so just because you had the part replaced under warranty, does not mean it wont arise again in the future.
      Hate to sound like a warped record but please take the car in for servicing and call VW of America.

    30. 12-13-2011 12:25 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Hate to sound like a warped record but please take the car in for servicing and call VW of America.
      Not going to bother. I am at the end of my power-train warranty and my car is highly modified. I am sure if I brought the car in the would blame in on my air ride, or engine mods etc. I plan on replacing the clutch/flywheel/friction plate with an upgraded set, so I will just replace tob/slave/fluid when I have the transmission dropped. I've had the noise in the cold for over a year, and prob about 15-20k miles, I feel as if it was going to fail, it would have already. To me, it's just no more than a mild annoyance and goes away once the transmission is warmed.

      I am done with VW warranty work. It was always a hassle, even for parts that had a TSB. I had to fight to have my intake manifold replaced, and even after 3 different visits at 2 different dealers, they still haven't gotten it right yet. My car will be maintained by myself and my trusted shop from here on out.

    31. Member sum41kid861's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2006
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      919
      Vehicles
      08 GTI
      12-13-2011 05:34 PM #172
      so they gave me a call this morning...
      they replaced my flywheel. im going tomorrow to pick it up so ill scan the printout for you guys. have to go back in a week or so when they get in the water pump cuz it was back ordered from VW so well c what happens between now and then. (about a week they say).

    32. Member heimbachae's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2009
      Posts
      2,960
      Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      12-14-2011 10:37 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by sum41kid861 View Post
      so they gave me a call this morning...
      they replaced my flywheel. im going tomorrow to pick it up so ill scan the printout for you guys. have to go back in a week or so when they get in the water pump cuz it was back ordered from VW so well c what happens between now and then. (about a week they say).
      I've had this issue from day 1 with this car at 15 miles. it's now over 3 years old and nearing 70K and it STILL has this problem. I'm riding it until it dies!!!
      girls dig when i play with the V

    33. Member sum41kid861's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2006
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      919
      Vehicles
      08 GTI
      12-15-2011 01:49 AM #174


      where the red box is it continues on page 2 to say:

      "OK. tech found excessive play in flywheel. replaced flywheel. installed all removed parts. road tested car. the noise is no long there. set clock and one touch windows. performed throttle adaptation.

      i havent heard the noise while driving today but i will keep posted on any new or further findings (if any...knocks on wood)

    34. Member HYDE16's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2010
      Location
      Morris County, NJ
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-15-2011 07:41 AM #175
      Please keep us posted on your results, seems others have had their flywheel replaced and the noise was not eliminated. Not saying that your repair will not fix it, we're eager to see if this solved the issue for you.

    Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •