VWVortex

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      04-12-2012 09:48 AM #246
      Thanks for posting.... GOOD LUCK!
      I hope they find something... fixable
      2009 GTI 2.0TSI CBFA 6spd, APR2, APR Downpipe, BSH RACE, NGK-PFR7Q plugs, VAGCOM,

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      04-13-2012 12:40 AM #247
      well i had the tranny out today while installing the south bend stg2 endurance clutch. i had the old 2 piece TOB in there still but the new one piece went in.

cars still up on stands till tomorrow while i install some other goodies. its still chilly here in NY at night so i can try and replicate it with the new clutch and see what happens. if not, i suggest talking to your dealer about them replacing the TOB to the one piece version

3. 04-13-2012 02:55 PM #248
      Dealer called me today after they spoke with VWoA - entire repair to be covered under warranty. Yahtzee!

I confirmed they will install these part versions:

06-j-141-015-jx - clutch kit
      oa5-141-671-f - TOB/Slave Cylinder
      06j-105-266-h - flywheel

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      04-13-2012 03:00 PM #249
      Quote Originally Posted by ride106 View Post
      Dealer called me today after they spoke with VWoA - entire repair to be covered under warranty. Yahtzee!

I confirmed they will install these part versions:

06j-105-266-h - flywheel
      How many miles do you have?

5. 04-13-2012 03:02 PM #250
      About 35,000 now.

I started hearing it around 24,000 though. Worst in the cold and under heavy loads.

6. 04-13-2012 03:26 PM #251
      Just wanted to thank you all for posting your experience on this thread and bringing this issue to light. Traded my wrangler in last week for a 2010 GTI 6MT with 16,000 and immediately noticed the hoo'ing/squeaking when I released the clutch in 1st or reverse (little pissed i didnt notice it on the test drive).

Google searched it and this thread popped up immediately. Made appt at the VW dealer for yesterday and was able to reproduce the noise perfectly when I drove the tech over to a hill in the back parking lot.

Service manager called me today and said they spoke with VW who said this was case #6 in the country of an issue that they have identified as issue with the clutch kit. So they are replacing the clutch kit with the JX version under warranty. I asked if they were gonna replace the TOB, slave cylinder or fly wheel. He said no and that the clutch kit replacement fixes the problem.

Those of you who have had the problem permanently fixed...you think replacing the clutch kit only will do the trick?

Thanks for the education

7. 04-13-2012 03:31 PM #252
      I would push for the TOB. There have been several drivers with different combinations of stock and aftermarket clutch kits to determine that the newest revision of the TOB (ends with -F) will make the noise go away.

On the other hand, some drivers have found that the flywheel and clutch kit had to be replaced in combination with the TOB.

Long story short, the TOB may not be the only cause of the noise but from process of elimination, it is ONE cause of the noise.

EDIT: The TOB and slave cylinder are one piece in the MK6, FYI.

EDIT 2: See this thread. Its long but the last few pages have the answers. Golfmk6.com

8. 04-13-2012 03:51 PM #253
      thank you sir. Just talk to service, they are ordering the TOB as well (part # ending in F)

Ill be sure to let you all know if the issue recurs after this fix

Vehicles
      2009 Touareg , 2011 4dr GTI
      04-14-2012 02:19 PM #254
      I'm a little confused.

I have a "hoot" sound when I release the clutch after taking off in 1st gear on my 2011 GTI

Not while the clutch is being engaged but as I'm shifting to 2nd.
      It's not the sound of the DV.. It was very obvious while I was in Canada for the winter (-20C)

It went away when I came back to California. I heard the sound again this morning again when it was 5C.

Order of events:

Stopped
      1st..
      Slipping clutch
      Clutch fully engaged
      Disengage clutch.... "hoot"
      into 2nd

This is something that I only notice when taking off on an incline. It doesnt need to be a very steep one either.

Vehicles
      04-17-2012 09:42 PM #255
      bump

I can try and take a video of the sound if that would help anyone with the diagnosis. I'd like to be sure before taking it in to the local dealership.

It is very faint and does sound like a similar to a DV but it only does it when disengaging the clutch in 1st gear.

11. 04-18-2012 08:10 AM #256
      User Allset made this video of the TOB sound. There are others but this is the one I can find most readily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfCZ...layer_embedded

The "hoot" is right around 0:06.

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      04-18-2012 11:43 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by ride106 View Post
      User Allset made this video of the TOB sound. There are others but this is the one I can find most readily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfCZ...layer_embedded

The "hoot" is right around 0:06.
      yup...thats exactly it. annoying as ****!

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      04-22-2012 01:28 AM #258
      so with the TSI stg2 endurance silent design and the new one piece TOB there is currently and so far no hooing noise

14. 05-10-2012 12:56 PM #259
      I've taken my car to Dublin VW once about 2-3 years ago when the noise first started and most recently about 2 months ago. They contacted VWoA and I just heard back that they won't do anything for it unless there's some sort of actual failure that impacts the ability to drive the vehicle. A noise to them doesn't mean anything is wrong in there, just that there's a noise. To me, a healthy driveline doesn't produce any noises, thus a noise would infer that something is not healthy, but that's just my opinion. I was also relayed a statement from a shop tech that just because something is on the vortex doesn't make it true. But, I won't get into that can of worms. I guess that just suffices to say they didn't actually look at this thread that I provided to them for background information.

Bottom line, Dublin VW noted that I've brought it in but aren't willing to replace anything in an attempt to fix the noise as they don't consider anything wrong with the vehicle. I really like my service adviser and she has been great for pretty much all other issues I've brought the car in for. So, don't write off Dublin VW for this, just be aware of their stance on the matter.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      05-11-2012 10:54 AM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
      I've taken my car to Dublin VW once about 2-3 years ago when the noise first started and most recently about 2 months ago. They contacted VWoA and I just heard back that they won't do anything for it unless there's some sort of actual failure that impacts the ability to drive the vehicle. A noise to them doesn't mean anything is wrong in there, just that there's a noise. To me, a healthy driveline doesn't produce any noises, thus a noise would infer that something is not healthy, but that's just my opinion. I was also relayed a statement from a shop tech that just because something is on the vortex doesn't make it true. But, I won't get into that can of worms. I guess that just suffices to say they didn't actually look at this thread that I provided to them for background information.

Bottom line, Dublin VW noted that I've brought it in but aren't willing to replace anything in an attempt to fix the noise as they don't consider anything wrong with the vehicle. I really like my service adviser and she has been great for pretty much all other issues I've brought the car in for. So, don't write off Dublin VW for this, just be aware of their stance on the matter.
      You personally need to call VWoA and raise hell. There is a revised clutch kit, TOB and flywheel that eliminates this noise for good.

I had to complain to my dealer and VWoC for a year and half before they finally called Germany and got a solution. Within the year they tore down my transmission twice (all under warranty) and they were trying to give me the same drivability BS that you're getting.

I'm not sure what your affilition with Dublin VW is and why you're defending their stance but they are clearly giving you the shaft - at the very least they need to tear down your transmission and have a look at it. Go to www.golfmk6.com and have a look in the 2.0T TFSI forum. Search for the same thread title - there are work orders posted too.

16. 05-11-2012 01:36 PM #261
      Oh, I'm not defending their decision to not do the replacement, but I'm not really in a position to know where the decision is coming from (whether it's VWoA giving kibosh on this or the dealership). I just wanted to throw out there that they've been pretty good to me with everything else outside of this, so I didn't want it to appear as if they suck in all regards just because I am not happy with how the clutch situation is working out. Per any dealership, they have their pro's and con's and I just didn't want anyone to avoid giving them business outright because of this particularly argued situation. That's all.

I should call VWoA and personally speak with them about it. You are right. It's just been one of those things that I've been dealing with for so long that it has moved down the totem pole of things I'd like to spend my time doing at the moment. I've put it on a short list, though, for when I do get time.

Can you link to the Golfmk6 thread you're referring to?

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      05-12-2012 01:25 AM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
      Oh, I'm not defending their decision to not do the replacement, but I'm not really in a position to know where the decision is coming from (whether it's VWoA giving kibosh on this or the dealership). I just wanted to throw out there that they've been pretty good to me with everything else outside of this, so I didn't want it to appear as if they suck in all regards just because I am not happy with how the clutch situation is working out. Per any dealership, they have their pro's and con's and I just didn't want anyone to avoid giving them business outright because of this particularly argued situation. That's all.

I should call VWoA and personally speak with them about it. You are right. It's just been one of those things that I've been dealing with for so long that it has moved down the totem pole of things I'd like to spend my time doing at the moment. I've put it on a short list, though, for when I do get time.

Can you link to the Golfmk6 thread you're referring to?
      So one or 2 people on the Vortex don't give the dealer business - what's the impact on their bottom line? They probably have hundreds of clients who know nothing of car discussion forums or are simply leasing the vehicles and don't give a damn.

The only ones shafted are those who actually own the car. ride106 posted the link and there's a ton of info there.

Definitely give them a call and say that you're concerned about the safety of the vehicle and you're embarrassed by it. You'll have to escalate and pull teeth but don't let it die. Good luck!

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 08:27 PM #264
      So my car finally made the infamous clutch hoot last night at 40,013 miles (went away as the car warmed up)

I took the car in a week ago for a chirp the transmission makes when shifting into 2nd gear from 1st but the service advisor said that it would be $900 to take apart the trans if they find that its not an internal transmission problem I asked them to hold off on that..

I wonder if these two sounds are somehow related.
      Last edited by dub*man; 05-25-2012 at 08:30 PM.
      My Michelin Pilot Super Sport Experience: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-The-25th-Hour

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      05-26-2012 12:33 PM #265
      south bend stg2 silent holding strong and still no more noise

20. 05-29-2012 08:58 AM #266
      Dubman, if you have this sound: http://youtu.be/9mfCZzT8qwQ

when shifting INTO first gear, make no mistake - VW should repair this. I think the powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60,000 but I'm not sure.

Most of us, including me, have had the dealer threaten with teardown costs if they determine the problem to be my fault. More still have had VW almost refuse to repair it with upgraded parts.

You definitely need to keep the heat on VW and open a case with VWoA if you have to because this is a relatively common problem. There are revised versions of the Throw-out bearing, clutch kit and flywheel that have eliminated the clutch hoot for everyone so far. See this thread (and the golfmk6.com one as well) for the part list and good luck. Keep us posted

Also, update: No noise for me after about 4500 miles.
      Last edited by ride106; 05-29-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: update

21. 05-29-2012 01:28 PM #267
      2010 GTI. had the "noise" last 6 months when starting in first after reversing in the mornings. Didn't think too much of it. Cluth started slipping last week. This week its slipping regularly. Don't think it'll be driveable come next week. 63k miles. WTF.

22. 05-29-2012 02:03 PM #268
      I was just driving by the stealership on 27 in Edison so I decided to stop and ask if they are aware of this issue. I was told not to pay attention to "that vortex stuff it's just people complaining"

23. 05-29-2012 04:19 PM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by mr.raz View Post
      I was just driving by the stealership on 27 in Edison so I decided to stop and ask if they are aware of this issue. I was told not to pay attention to "that vortex stuff it's just people complaining"
      I can understand somewhat this kind of sentiment among mechanics. Its probably similar to what doctors experience when patients come in after a few days on WebMD. In this particular case though, web forums are the only way to expose an issue like this. There might be a few hundred cars out of several thousand sold, and each dealer may only see a case like this once or never.

That aside, the issue exists... if the dealership is not familiar with it, VWoA will be. There are several users who have fought tooth and nail to get their stuff resolved with corporate and I think that's the only reason the rest of us have seen revised clutch parts.

Not sure about your 63k on the odometer though regarding warranty repair. Keep us posted.

24. 05-29-2012 04:26 PM #270
      I don't think the noise and clutch slipping are related. Mine has been making the noise intermittently for the last 40k miles, and regularly the last 20k. The transmission only slips in 6th gear, deep torque pulls on Stage 2 tune, does not slip stock, which seems to be another issue all together. My dealer essentially laughed at me when I had 40k miles and asked them to explore the issue under warranty. I figured I am going to let it ride it out until clutch gives up the ghost. I'll install the revised TOB when I do the clutch this winter. I find, once the transmission and car heat up, the noise goes away. For me, having a 2008.5 wi/ 66k on it, I've given up trying to get help from the dealer/VWOA. For you mk6 guys, I would demand remediation.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 04:52 PM #271
      I made a video of the chirp I get when shifting into 2nd. There's no clutch hoot as the car was already warm by the time I took this video.

The tire noises muffle most of the sounds.. its very faint in the video but you can still kind of hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoeRo8Pipto

I've e-mailed VWoA and gotten a response from them. They want to coordinate with the dealership and have me take the car in again
      My Michelin Pilot Super Sport Experience: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-The-25th-Hour

26. 05-29-2012 04:56 PM #272
      Kinda sounds like its related to a synchro

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 04:53 PM #273
      I just dropped the car off. (for the 2nd time) They're going to be holding onto it until Monday.
      I got the regional case manager involved with my case already, hopefully everything will work out!

UPDATE:

Just picked the car up, they didn't take a look at it yet and since they're not going to be able to look at it until monday, the rental wouldn't be covered for over the weekend.

I spoke with the RCM, Nancy. She seems like a nice lady. She told me that she would pay for the todays rental since I was min-informed by the dealer but they wouldn't be touching my car until Monday and therefor vw could not cover a rental over the weekend.

She also told me that the clutch will not be covered under any warranty whatsoever since it is a manual transmission.

I'm planning to take the car in again on Monday - how do I handle the warranty issue with the clutch?
      Last edited by dub*man; 06-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.

28. 06-01-2012 08:59 PM #274
      All you can do is keep climbing the ladder. Ask to speak to her supervisor, that's really an unacceptable answer without them even assessing the situation. A shame the regional tech already claims that clutches never fall under warranty - even the service techs will explain that its hit or miss.

Obviously, the m/t is a gray area. The techs have a point when they say "we weren't there for the last 25xxx miles so we don't know how you drive it", but if there's a defect (which there is) than it needs to be replaced under the powertrain warranty.

You may to have to explain that you can't in good conscience purchase another VW if they refuse to honor their warranties, let alone recommend one to a friend or family member. PM either me, CobraKing, Allset, or Hyde16 to hear our tales in excessive detail. We've all been through it.

Frankly, I think the fact that VW has developed revised versions of clutch parts - especially the throw-out bearing - indicates that they are at least aware of the issue and they should honor warranties on it. I want to believe that all of the regional managers just aren't familiar with the issue (rather than VW actively trying to screw us). Good luck

Also, there are many of us who have kept and scanned our work orders showing what was replaced under warranty. I had the clutch kit (ending in -jx), TOB (ending in -f) and flywheel (ending in -h) "replaced by VW during a one-time good-faith repair". Whatever that means.
      Last edited by ride106; 06-01-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: other thoughts

29. 06-07-2012 01:40 PM #275
      so what's the part # on the updated TOB again?

30. 06-07-2012 01:48 PM #276
      just called the parts dept. I was told 0A5141671F but he couldn't tell me if this is an updated part or the same one that's on my car already because VW only keeps the most recent part #'s in the system.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 UG GTI 4dr w/ Bi-Xenon, LED DRL, Nav
      06-07-2012 01:55 PM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by mr.raz View Post
      just called the parts dept. I was told 0A5141671F but he couldn't tell me if this is an updated part or the same one that's on my car already because VW only keeps the most recent part #'s in the system.

these are the current (updated) parts...

06j-105-266-h - flywheel

good luck

32. 06-07-2012 02:21 PM #278
      thanks!

33. 06-13-2012 07:37 PM #279
      I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. The information in it was really helpful to me when dealing with my VW dealer about this problem with my 2010 CC.

It took me three visits to get them to do anything about it! First time, I demonstrated the sound to a technician. The service manager wasn't there to deal with it that day so they told me come back when he is there to hear it. I returned to the dealer but could not reproduce the sound for the manager. At that point I was really frustrated. Then I found this thread, realized it was the same problem and that it was worse when the clutch was under heavy load like starting on a hill. Today, I took a tech out on a hill and reproduced the sound multiple times and then he drove it and did it himself. THEN, after three times in their service department, they found a service bulletin about the problem (I am shocked they didn't find it sooner! Proof that they were just shining me and not trying to dig into the issue at all) and will be putting a new JX clutch kit in tomorrow. I'm worried though because they won't put in a revised TOB or flywheel since the bulletin only instructs them to replace the clutch kit! Their attitude towards forums is equally as dismissive as other users' experiences expressed on this thread. So I guess I just have to hope the sound doesn't stick around after I get the car back. The manager says VW has identified the problem as the springs in the clutch disc.

Wish me luck. I'll post the results.

34. 06-13-2012 07:39 PM #280
      I forgot to say that my CC has 34k on it, stage 1 GIAC software. I first noticed the noise a few months after buying it certified pre-owned last July.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast