Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch release noise/chirp/squeak/hooo

Vehicles
      2003 X5 3.0i 5SPD, '14 JSW TDI DSG, '11 Triumph Thunderbird Storm
      12-15-2011 07:45 AM #176
      awesome! i like how you go in right before 50k, i'm at 478xx right now and garaging my car for the winter, when it gets warm again i'm taking it in at 49xxx to get water pump, clutch, and intake manifold looked at before my bumper to bumper expires (i took delivery of my car 7 days after you in 2008!) lol

hope you dont get the noise back and let us know how it goes with the water pump replacement!
      Quote Originally Posted by Senor Pelligro
      It's a car for a fashion forward, style conscious guy that's always looking for the season's hottest accessory. A guy that watches Project Runway, reads TMZ, and drinks Cosmos.

It's simply fabulous, sweetie.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-15-2011 10:12 AM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by sum41kid861 View Post

where the red box is it continues on page 2 to say:

"OK. tech found excessive play in flywheel. replaced flywheel. installed all removed parts. road tested car. the noise is no long there. set clock and one touch windows. performed throttle adaptation.

i havent heard the noise while driving today but i will keep posted on any new or further findings (if any...knocks on wood)
      Good luck bro! I had my Flywheel+TOB replaced about a month ago and the 'hoot/chirp/squeal' came back within a week. Dealer themselves advised me that there's no fix at present, have to open a dispute with VW.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-15-2011 04:02 PM #178
      Posted in the other thread but no one really responded so ill post here too.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubJ011 View Post
      I just took mine to the dealer as well. In fact it is still there (just got a ride home from the shuttle service).

I have a 2011 GTI with 21k and have been hearing the noise for a few months now in reverse and in first when there is a load on the clutch, just as everyone has described. I insisted on taking a tech for a ride to show them the noise and I showed them the video posted above before hand to give them an idea of what sound to be looking for. I was thankfully able to get the sound to replicate 6 or 7 times. I then came back with the tech and they asked to take a different tech for a ride, where I did the same with the video, but was unable to replicate the sound again .

They said they are most likely keeping it over night, so i guess I will see what happens.
      Good news guys.... The dealership just called and said that they put it up on the lift in the shop and were able to not only hear the noise, but they also saw clutch fluid dripping. They are replacing the throw-out bearing and slave cylinder under warranty and free of charge. Im taking it in next week for them to pull the tranny and get everything replaced. I really thought they were gonna give me more hassle than this. Im surprised and thankful that it was this easy.

My only worry is that I'm thinking they will probably replace it with the same part. Which means its just a matter of time before it happens again. Does anyone know if its actually a revised part?
      Just dropped my car off today to get the repairs done. I get a call from the dealer later in the day to hear that they had already dropped the transmission and found a number of things. For one, they said my actual clutch was in great condition. However, they said the flywheel is pretty much trashed. Apparently it has been loose??? Is what they told me. Anyway, they said that it will be covered under warranty, but they cannot get the part shipped here until monday. Which means I wont have my car for a week. Sucks, but im glad they found the problem now. So they will be replacing the flywheel, TOB, and slave cylinder. Looking forward to getting it back with virtually a brand new clutch set up.
      2011 Volkswagen GTI- 6MT/Autobahn/LED Tails/GIAC Stage 1/OEM Revision "D" Valve/AWE Turbo Discharge Pipe/Forge Twintake/Euro Short Shifter/Forge Twintercooler

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-15-2011 11:20 PM #179
      ^^^
      So what happened? Is your car fixed? Is the noise back?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-16-2011 03:35 AM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      ^^^
      So what happened? Is your car fixed? Is the noise back?
      Haven't gotten it back yet. Its still at the dealership. The flywheel should be here Monday and then they are installing the TOB and putting everything back together.. will let you guys know what happens when I get it back
      2011 Volkswagen GTI- 6MT/Autobahn/LED Tails/GIAC Stage 1/OEM Revision "D" Valve/AWE Turbo Discharge Pipe/Forge Twintake/Euro Short Shifter/Forge Twintercooler

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-16-2011 09:40 AM #181
      Haven't gotten it back yet. Its still at the dealership. The flywheel should be here Monday and then they are installing the TOB and putting everything back together.. will let you guys know what happens when I get it back
      Definitely give us an update after 1 week of getting the car back. I had the 'chirp/hoo/squeak' return within a week of having my TOB & Flywheel replaced.

Vehicles
      09 GLI APR K04
      12-16-2011 10:28 AM #182
      Just to add this info for any one that had the clutch/tob and other parts replaced and still getting the chirp wondering if it might be the engine mounts (I think somebody asked about it in this thread) - I have the full set of BSH engine/trans mounts and still get the chirping noise. My car is 09 GLI (CBFA) and it's been doing this for more than a year now. I'm at 65k miles so do you guys think I could still have any chance to get this done under warranty or I'm out of luck? I had my second intake manifold replaced recently under warranty but only after I called WVoA and complained - they were extra helpful and nice to me.

And just one more thing, when I want it to go away for a while I ride the clutch for like a quick second and after that I'm fine for the day or at least half of the day. Could that then be related to glazing of the clutch disk or flywheel? Why would it go away after I rev up and do a slow release in 1st gear? Wouldn't the clutch surface get glazed and chirp even more after I do that - but in my case it acts totally oposite and it's quiet after that for a whole day? I did this once when I got really pissed with the sound and I wanted to burn the clutch to hel, that's how anoying the chirping was! It smelled bad for a few seconds and that's normal but after that there were no chirping what so ever for the whole day. Next day it came back of course but I can't be doing this all the time. I drive stick shifts my whole life (more than 26 years now) and I never had a problem like this.

So a little advice for the people that go to dealership and want to reproduce the problem in front of the mechanics do not do what I just described because the chirping will be gone for a while after that.
      Last edited by bokiNY; 12-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-16-2011 11:46 AM #183
      bokiNY - thank you for posting and welcome to the growing club of VW owners being driven mad by transmission noises! This noise affects CCTA/CBFA engine types with the 02Q transmission. (Can someone please clarify if it's 02Q though?)

You're 100% correct that this is not an engine mount issue. If you have the parking brake fully engaged, you or a friend can accelerate and look at the engine rocking back and forth. In my case, a buddy of mine stuck a mechanics stethoscope in the engine bay and the noise eminated from the transmission. In fact the noise in my car is so loud that you can hear it even with the hood closed. Besides engine mounts would make noise in second and third gears too!

I like your theory re: clutch/flywheel glazing however my case is the opposite. If I load the transmission as you suggested and 'burn' the clutch then the noise gets even worse. My car might be an extreme case though as I have absolutely NO difficutly reproducing this 'noise'. Infact I have to try my best to NOT reproduce it just to stave off embarassment.

I'm asking everyone to please contact VW Client Relations as this is a known issue and nothing's been done about it.

Vehicles
      08 B6 TSI M/T
      12-16-2011 12:06 PM #184
      I have heard this dreaded noise as well, but am still trying to figure out how to replicate it so I can make it happen at the dealership. I get it from time to time, but can't narrow down the specifics of the scenario. Anyone have a good description of how to "make it happen" at the right time? I know, "that's what she said!" ha ha

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-16-2011 12:10 PM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by GR8FL DAD View Post
      I have heard this dreaded noise as well, but am still trying to figure out how to replicate it so I can make it happen at the dealership. I get it from time to time, but can't narrow down the specifics of the scenario. Anyone have a good description of how to "make it happen" at the right time? I know, "that's what she said!" ha ha
      What car do you own bud and is it safe to assume that it's a 6MT?

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-16-2011 12:12 PM #186
      Seems to replicate the most on a hill at the most load, least gas to get moving. Mine occurs at this point but has been happening after the car warns up from the 30-40 degree temps or after its been driven a few minutes.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-16-2011 12:24 PM #187
      NVM, I checked your profile and see that you have a B6 Passat like me. Do the following in a safe and open area:

1. Turn on the car, don't buckle up.
      2. Engage the electronic parking brake by press the button (if it's not already engaged).
      3. Put your car in first gear.
      4. Slowly let off the clutch until you feel the car wanting to move.
      5. Accelerate.

It might take a try or 2 to replicate the noise but you'll get it. Pop the hood if you need to hear it better. In your daily driving you'll probably hear the noise the most if you let off/ride the clutch a little longer while accelerating. Post here with your results and complain to VWoA/VWoC.
      Last edited by CobraKing; 12-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-16-2011 12:54 PM #188
      Definitely give us an update after 1 week of getting the car back. I had the 'chirp/hoo/squeak' return within a week of having my TOB & Flywheel replaced.
      Will do

But that is definitely not good news. I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about this again. Is there anyone who has gotten it replaced and not heard the noise again??

14. 12-16-2011 01:01 PM #189
      Just thinking out loud. Could this noise be coming from a cold DMF? I wonder if people who have converted to a SMF have the same problem. I would think, if they are using the same TOB on SMF applications, if it was the TOB, wouldn't the noise remain?

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-16-2011 01:10 PM #190
      Will do

But that is definitely not good news. I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about this again. Is there anyone who has gotten it replaced and not heard the noise again??
      Between Vortex and GolfMK6, a few people had full clutches, flywheels and TOBs replaced and they still have the noise. Not to be a bummer dude.... yours still could be different.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
      Just thinking out loud. Could this noise be coming from a cold DMF? I wonder if people who have converted to a SMF have the same problem. I would think, if they are using the same TOB on SMF applications, if it was the TOB, wouldn't the noise remain?
      I still have the problem after going with a SMF in South Bend Clutch’s latest Volkwagen / Audi “Silent Design” Clutch Kit.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...3#post73569503

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-16-2011 01:18 PM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
      Between Vortex and GolfMK6, a few people had full clutches, flywheels and TOBs replaced and they still have the noise. Not to be a bummer dude.... yours still could be different.

I still have the problem after going with a SMF in South Bend Clutch’s latest Volkwagen / Audi “Silent Design” Clutch Kit.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...3#post73569503
      Have you had the TOB replaced too?

Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI MK6
      12-16-2011 01:21 PM #192
      Yes when they installed the clutch my shop installed a new “E” version TOB and the noise came about.
      I went back to my dealership and had the latest “F” version installed and the noise is still there.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-16-2011 01:28 PM #193
      Yes when they installed the clutch my shop installed a new “E” version TOB and the noise came about.
      I went back to my dealership and had the latest “F” version installed and the noise is still there.
      Man that really sucks. Well honestly I am really ok with the noise being there, as long as nothing is wrong with the car. I mean if they put brand new parts in and the car makes the noise again instantly, than it might just be the way the parts sound? If that is the case, then ill be fine. I just dont want to have to continuously return to the dealer to get the same part replaced over and over because it keeps failing. Then when warranty ends, I'll have to replace it on my own...Thats is cause for selling the car in my opinion so i hope thats not it.

19. 12-16-2011 01:39 PM #194

Thanks for the reply!

Vehicles
      08 B6 TSI M/T
      12-16-2011 01:59 PM #195
      What car do you own bud and is it safe to assume that it's a 6MT?
      Yeah, I have an 08.5 Passat 6MT with the TSI.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-16-2011 02:08 PM #196
      Man that really sucks. Well honestly I am really ok with the noise being there, as long as nothing is wrong with the car. I mean if they put brand new parts in and the car makes the noise again instantly, than it might just be the way the parts sound? If that is the case, then ill be fine. I just dont want to have to continuously return to the dealer to get the same part replaced over and over because it keeps failing. Then when warranty ends, I'll have to replace it on my own...Thats is cause for selling the car in my opinion so i hope thats not it.
      Please don't take this as a personal attack, but your thinking is part of the reason why VW has not given a damn about this problem. When I purchased my car, neither was I informed nor did my contract say that transmission noise was to be expected. I would never have bought the car if that was the case.

I DO agree with you that going repeatedly to the dealer is fruitless and a royal PITA but we are all leasing, financing or have outright purchased our vehicles. Additionally, this problem is affecting MYs 08+ and there's no end in sight.

Like you, I do worry about the longevity of my vehicle BUT I'm afraid that I may not be able to sell it as a simple test drive from a potential buyer will reveal the 'clutch/chirp/squeak/hoo'.

If you have an unmodified or stock car, I urge you to contact VWoA/VWoC to complain and at least get some sort of confirmation from them that engineering is looking into this issue.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-16-2011 03:37 PM #197
      Please don't take this as a personal attack, but your thinking is part of the reason why VW has not given a damn about this problem. When I purchased my car, neither was I informed nor did my contract say that transmission noise was to be expected. I would never have bought the car if that was the case.

I DO agree with you that going repeatedly to the dealer is fruitless and a royal PITA but we are all leasing, financing or have outright purchased our vehicles. Additionally, this problem is affecting MYs 08+ and there's no end in sight.

Like you, I do worry about the longevity of my vehicle BUT I'm afraid that I may not be able to sell it as a simple test drive from a potential buyer will reveal the 'clutch/chirp/squeak/hoo'.

If you have an unmodified or stock car, I urge you to contact VWoA/VWoC to complain and at least get some sort of confirmation from them that engineering is looking into this issue.
      No I dont take that as an attack at all.

Maybe I should rephrase my statement. I am extremely worried and irritated with the situation as well and i do intend on calling VW. It is ridiculous that a fix for this has not arisen yet. What i meant is, IF i have to live with the sound and no fix is made, i want to make sure that it is JUST a sound and not damaging something. I cannot afford to continuously replace these parts after warranty goes out. Honestly, if i even have to replace them again within a short amount a time, i will be pretty fed up.

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008/VW/GTI
      12-19-2011 01:45 PM #198
      Sorry I am new to this thread, but i have an '08 GTI and just started experiencing the same problem about a week ago. Did some searching and found that a lot of people have this going on. I have the extended warranty, anyone happen to know if this is covered??

Vehicles
      '10 Passat 6MT
      12-20-2011 10:55 AM #199
      ^^^
      You *may* get coverage bro, but the challenge is that there's NO fix presently. The noise will come back in a little bit.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DBM GTI
      12-20-2011 07:48 PM #200
      Got my car back today. Put about 30 miles on it so far. The noise is no longer there and the car drives great! So hopefully it stays that way and the noise does not come back.

Installing my "d" revision diverter and going GIAC stage 1 tomorrow!

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast