Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How do you add engine coolant 2001 eurovan

1. 12-31-2010 02:41 PM #1
      I have a 2001 eurovan weekender.
      My coolant in my reservoir is below the min line and I am not sure where I should add more coolant.
      The coolant is orange so I am assuming it is Dexcool??
      If I cannot confirm it is Dexcool should I do a complete flush?
      How do you do a flush on a eurovan 2001 weekender?
      I cannot find any "How to's" on the net for this.

2. 01-02-2011 12:43 AM #2
      You add it into the same container as the max/min line. However do it when cold because it'll be pressurized when hot.

I would just add distilled water since it's just a small amount rather than worry about the right coolant. The small amount you put in now will not have a significant effect on the overall percentage since the Eurovan's cooling system is quite large.

However there is a variation of Peak antifreeze in a gold bottle and I forget what it's called, but it's a very light amber color (like light beer) and it mixes with anything (allegedly, and hence the light color that is not supposed to change the color of what's in there now).

However, if you are losing coolant fairly quickly (if it goes down again to below min in say 3-4 weeks or less) start looking for a small leak somewhere.
      Last edited by gti_matt; 01-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.

3. 01-03-2011 03:09 PM #3
      Agree with Matt to just add distilled water.

The pink fluid is likely VW G11-G12. If your system is not leaking, and you do want to do a full flush, just buy the real stuff(small bottle, but is concentrate), as it is only a bit more money. It takes the guess work out of it and is good for 5+ years.

If you add to a hot engine, just be aware and cautious when removing the cap off the reservoir bowl, and steam will come out.

4. 01-06-2011 07:32 PM #4
      Just checked and the stuff I'm using is Peak Global Lifetime.
      http://www.peakantifreeze.com/antifr...lifetime.shtml

A little hard to find (not everybody has it) but I found it at Napa.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 Trakka Camper 2.5TDI Syncro, '06 Golf TDI 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI CR manual
      01-07-2011 08:04 AM #5
      [QUOTE=rensho;69261486]The pink fluid is likely VW G11-G12. QUOTE]

It won't be G11, thats blue/green colour. I would ,if it was mine, drain what's there & fill again with pure water, run for a while & drain. Do this a couple of times until you are confident that there is no remaining old coolant in the system. According to VW, this is important.
      Fill system with the correct ratio mix of VWs latest product which I think is G12+. If no leaks, this will last for many years. No recommended time for changing is specified, only a check on antifreeze strength.