The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acura RDX's turbo...what is it?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2000, '13 TSXW, '06 Accord EX-L
      01-01-2011 02:54 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
      I thought you were maybe lonely or drunk posting on New Years but seeing your posting the same crap today I guess not. Not to mention your great threads here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=RICEY

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=RICEY

Actually, I had the flu for a couple of days. Went to the neighborhood New Year's Eve party last night. Nothing really exciting, threw the football around with some kids. Popped the cork at midnight. Didn't start until 7, wasn't feeling well, but the wifey and everyone else wanted me to go, so I did. Thanks for caring, though.

Then again you do call yourself "ricey" so it will be hard to have a serious conversation with you.
      You're right, it's silly. But my real name is something like 1sixlex. It's Karl Osmus. Look me up on the Georgia Bar website. I do admit, though, Judge Walker continues to call me "Mr. Osmos." Maybe I should tell him to call me ricey? What's in a name?

No one brought up Lexus but you and it really is a contest you don't want to bring up as there is no contest. Not sure why you are bringing up Toyota engines here?

I and many others know its a good engine but its not really that great. It will likely be replaced by a V-6 next generation. So sorry you are upset about it.
      Hmm. I'm not really upset, and I didn't start this argument. I just know some stuff. I don't own any Honda stock. I don't sell cars for a living. I like cars, and I call it like I see it.

You are also wrong about sales as Acura had to bring a FWD model to help sales, which wasn't originally planned.
      Uhh, RDX sales are up about a billion percent? I never said anything about FWD. I don't care, I like the RDX but I don't plan on buying one. And if I did, I wouldn't spend any time justifying it to an obvious douche like you.

You are also wrong about Lotus as they picked the Toyota engine over the Honda unit and they are now going to use Lexus V-8s in the new models (unless that changes). Though not sure what that has to do with the RDX.
      You keep telling yourself that until you believe it.

This is about the RDX, do you really want to lose a pissing contest about engines? You're stuck on V-6s, how about show me those V-8s, V-10s or hybrids so we can compare those.

Oh yeah, you can't.

Keep this on the RDX.
      Showing you what? Honda made V-10s for years. IN FORMULA ONE CARS, YOU JACKASS. AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO HIRE YAMAHA TO DESIGN THEM.

Honda has mismanaged their hybrids. But they didn't really ask me for my advice, so I don't feel married to their success or failure.

Granted, Honda hasn't had any F1 success since the Senna days, but Toyota pretty much sucked a big log on that one too, didn't they?

But, still. the J series may well be the best six cylinder engine since the Japanese stopped overbuilding their engines in the mid '90s.

Also, Acura + 20% sales this year.

Toyota, massive recalls, -% sales, and they still have to hire Yamaha to design their engines. Remember the Celica GT-S? Who designed that engine? YAMAHA. And it still sucked compared to the B18C. Like, it sucked so much, they started re-flashing ECUs to lower the rev limiter because it couldn't take the abuse.

Thanks for playing, I'm going to shred my x-mas tree.

BRGDS,

ricey
      "Three generations of imbeciles are enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, circa 1927

Vehicles
      Beige hybrid fancy Toyota and other fancy dumb Toyotas
      01-01-2011 02:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post

Actually, I had the flu for a couple of days. Went to the neighborhood New Year's Eve party last night. Nothing really exciting, threw the football around with some kids. Popped the cork at midnight. Didn't start until 7, wasn't feeling well, but the wifey and everyone else wanted me to go, so I did. Thanks for caring, though.

You're right, it's silly. But my real name is something like 1sixlex. It's Karl Osmus. Look me up on the Georgia Bar website. I do admit, though, Judge Walker continues to call me "Mr. Osmos." Maybe I should tell him to call me ricey? What's in a name?

Hmm. I'm not really upset, and I didn't start this argument. I just know some stuff. I don't own any Honda stock. I don't sell cars for a living. I like cars, and I call it like I see it.

Uhh, RDX sales are up about a billion percent? I never said anything about FWD. I don't care, I like the RDX but I don't plan on buying one. And if I did, I wouldn't spend any time justifying it to an obvious douche like you.

You keep telling yourself that until you believe it.

Showing you what? Honda made V-10s for years. IN FORMULA ONE CARS, YOU JACKASS. AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO HIRE YAMAHA TO DESIGN THEM.

Honda has mismanaged their hybrids. But they didn't really ask me for my advice, so I don't feel married to their success or failure.

Granted, Honda hasn't had any F1 success since the Senna days, but Toyota pretty much sucked a big log on that one too, didn't they?

But, still. the J series may well be the best six cylinder engine since the Japanese stopped overbuilding their engines in the mid '90s.

Also, Acura + 20% sales this year.

Toyota, massive recalls, -% sales, and they still have to hire Yamaha to design their engines. Remember the Celica GT-S? Who designed that engine? YAMAHA. And it still sucked compared to the B18C. Like, it sucked so much, they started re-flashing ECUs to lower the rev limiter because it couldn't take the abuse.

Thanks for playing, I'm going to shred my x-mas tree.

BRGDS,

ricey
      Are you okay?

Not sure why you are still making this a Toyota vs Honda issue, the OP is asking about the RDX. You also seem to only include what you CAN include, please argue about PRODUCTION V-8s, hybrids, V-10s. You can't, so you bring up F1 and bring up the Celica GT-S

You seem angry, you need to look at your own pic having made multiple personal attacks here. I haven't called you anything.

Again likely this engine will be dropped after this generation. Outside of 3 people mentioned, most don't mod the engine and it hasn't been a great unit. Your own 2.0 liter I-4 makes the same HP rating.

Notice I am not making this a "vs" argument b/c while we can argue about engines past, you can't argue about much anything present and it wouldn't be a fair fight.
      Last edited by 1SICKLEX; 01-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 135i, 2013 Fiat 500e, 2004 Acura TSX
      01-01-2011 03:16 PM #28
      Again likely this engine will be dropped after this generation. Outside of 3 people mentioned, most don't mod the engine and it hasn't been a great unit. Your own 2.0 liter I-4 makes the same HP rating.
      I'm sure most people don't mod most SUV's at all, but there are plenty of people modding this engine. Already there are intakes, exhausts, hondata reflashes, and downpipes are being developed right now. The engine itself is great. I don't think anyone can argue against that. The reason it doesn't seem great is the 4000lb fulltime awd suv it's in.

If that same engine was in a sedan it would get great mileage. But ina 4000lb fulltime awd suv you can only get so good of mileage. That isn't a knock on the engine though.

Vehicles
      Beige hybrid fancy Toyota and other fancy dumb Toyotas
      01-01-2011 03:23 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      I'm sure most people don't mod most SUV's at all, but there are plenty of people modding this engine. Already there are intakes, exhausts, hondata reflashes, and downpipes are being developed right now. The engine itself is great. I don't think anyone can argue against that. The reason it doesn't seem great is the 4000lb fulltime awd suv it's in.

If that same engine was in a sedan it would get great mileage. But ina 4000lb fulltime awd suv you can only get so good of mileage. That isn't a knock on the engine though.
      I was thinking (and I think most Honda guys were) that this new turbo (when it debuted) was going to be really easy to mod and easy to retrofit into other old/future vehicles. I remember the TSX rumors until it became obvious with a top mount, it ain't going anywhere.

Honda usually designs engines to be used in other models, it really is shocking this is a RDX only unit.

We all know its reliable. I'm reading on Porsche Cayenne's now and there seems to be a serious design flaw with the coolant pipes (which can lead to more repairs). So at least no one has to worry about reliability here.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01-01-2011 03:58 PM #30
      I was thinking (and I think most Honda guys were) that this new turbo (when it debuted) was going to be really easy to mod and easy to retrofit into other old/future vehicles. I remember the TSX rumors until it became obvious with a top mount, it ain't going anywhere.

Honda usually designs engines to be used in other models, it really is shocking this is a RDX only unit.

We all know its reliable. I'm reading on Porsche Cayenne's now and there seems to be a serious design flaw with the coolant pipes (which can lead to more repairs). So at least no one has to worry about reliability here.
      I think the thing limiting it is the proprietary turbo that makes it very expensive to purchase. You can't just buy the turbo and manifold off the shelf from garrett or some other turbo maker and slap it on another model.

I would love to find out what the thinking was on this engine. You're right in that Honda/Acura always share engines. So what happened here? Were there plans that were scrapped? Was it always a one-off engine? Did it not meet design goals for another model?

About swapping it to other models, it would be much easier to either swap the TSX/Accord/CRV bottom end onto K20 heads, or swap the heads onto an existing bottom end.

For someone with a K20, you could swap the bottom end and a Jackson Racing supercharger, and for approximately $3500 you could have this .

That would still be much less than swapping over the RDX motor.

Vehicles
      Truck that runs on smug fuel
      01-01-2011 05:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post

Every time Toyota needs a REAL engine they hire Yamaha. Well, their pianos sure sound nice.
      Where's Honda when they need to make competitive engines? They make the same POS engines over and over again. let me know when they have a V8, V10, and a superior hybrid system compared Toyota, k?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 05:23 PM #32
      I think the thing limiting it is the proprietary turbo that makes it very expensive to purchase. You can't just buy the turbo and manifold off the shelf from garrett or some other turbo maker and slap it on another model.

I would love to find out what the thinking was on this engine. You're right in that Honda/Acura always share engines. So what happened here? Were there plans that were scrapped? Was it always a one-off engine? Did it not meet design goals for another model?

About swapping it to other models, it would be much easier to either swap the TSX/Accord/CRV bottom end onto K20 heads, or swap the heads onto an existing bottom end.

For someone with a K20, you could swap the bottom end and a Jackson Racing supercharger, and for approximately $3500 you could have this .

That would still be much less than swapping over the RDX motor.
      This huge gap between HP and torque on Honda engines absolutely pisses me off, it's downright ridiculous

Vehicles
      '14 FiST, '02 996
      01-01-2011 05:30 PM #33
      I like Rice.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      01-01-2011 05:48 PM #34
      I personally really like the RDX (beak aside, it's about the only Honda product left I like) and I am still considering buying one. I said before, it's basically a 150% scale GTI: fun, fairly fast, and great handling. Isn't huge inside, but for my uses (commuter and occasional cargo hauler) it's plenty big enough. Idle quality of the 4cyl is kinda off, but compared to basically every other SUV in the

Vehicles
      2009 Acura RL
      01-01-2011 06:01 PM #35
      [QUOTE=Chris Stack;69235024]I personally really like the RDX (beak aside, it's about the only Honda product left I like) and I am still considering buying one. I said before, it's basically a 150% scale GTI: fun, fairly fast, and great handling. Isn't huge inside, but for my uses (commuter and occasional cargo hauler) it's plenty big enough. Idle quality of the 4cyl is kinda off, but compared to basically every other SUV in the

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:09 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Totally agree
      Tiguan would be my choice or even the XC60. The Acura doesn't have the name or the prestige to be charging almost $40k for a fully loaded one. The XC60 embarrasses this car in power, etc and the Tiguan is only a flash away from 240hp.

A loaded Tiguan SEL is about $39k also and you get a more technologically advanced car compared to the Acura. Bi-xenons with AFS, rain sensors, Pano roof, HDD nav. 6 speed auto (5 speed on the RDX, is this 2005?), DI engine, etc

EDIT:

You can get a base 2.0T Q5 for about $35,000 also, hands down better car than the Acura
      Last edited by AutoUnion32; 01-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Vehicles
      Crosstrek
      01-01-2011 06:15 PM #37
      Ah, I see the rabid fanboys are out.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:19 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoUnion32 View Post
      Tiguan would be my choice or even the XC60. The Acura doesn't have the name or the prestige to be charging almost $40k for a fully loaded one. The XC60 embarrasses this car in power, etc and the Tiguan is only a flash away from 240hp.

A loaded Tiguan SEL is about $39k also and you get a more technologically advanced car compared to the Acura. Bi-xenons with AFS, rain sensors, Pano roof, HDD nav. 6 speed auto (5 speed on the RDX, is this 2005?), DI engine, etc

EDIT:

You can get a base 2.0T Q5 for about $35,000 also, hands down better car than the Acura
      I wouldn't pay nearly $40k for an RDX, I'm looking at preowned in the $28-30k range ('09-10 with

14. 01-01-2011 06:26 PM #39

EDIT:

So Acura doesn't have "prestige", but VW does?

Have you driven any of these cars?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      So Acura doesn't have "prestige", but VW does?

Have you driven any of these cars?
      When I was referring to prestige, I was talking about the XC60 and Q5. Not the Tiguan, even then I'd much rather be driving a Tiguan/XC60/Q5 than an RDX

For those who think I've haven't driven them, I've driven the Tiguan, RDX, XC60, Q5, X3, GLK extensively and still think the best 2 are the Q5 and XC60

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:35 PM #41
      [QUOTE=Chris Stack;69235329]I wouldn't pay nearly $40k for an RDX, I'm looking at preowned in the $28-30k range ('09-10 with

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:36 PM #42
      When I was referring to prestige, I was talking about the XC60 and Q5. Not the Tiguan, even then I'd much rather be driving a Tiguan/XC60/Q5 than an RDX

For those who think I've haven't driven them, I've driven the Tiguan, RDX, XC60, Q5, X3, GLK extensively and still think the best 2 are the Q5 and XC60
      That's fair, but what does it cost to get a Q5 or XC60 equipped with leather, HIDs, AWD, and Bluetooth? I'm guessing quite a bit more than the street price of an SH-AWD RDX (around $32k.) If I was looking to spend around $40k, I'd b looking at the Q5 and XC60 too, but at the low-$30s, I don't think they are really an option.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:37 PM #43
      If we're talking CPO, then a CPO RDX might potentially be a great deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see CPO X3s, RXs for that amount of money. The tech package for both the RDX and Tiguan is just overpriced. Essentially throwing away $4-5k just for a NAV/Sunroof, etc
      RXs are waaaaay overpriced CPO; to get near $30k you're talking probably 50k miles or 4 years old or both. The X3, I just don't like and wouldn't pay the BMW tax for. And a sunroof is a must for me, is it optional on a Tiguan?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:39 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post

And as far as technology, you can compare features, but I was thinking about the SH-AWD and the 2.3T engine (which I prefer to VW's 2.0T as I don't trust DI.

Edit: and BTW, as the owner of a VW and the former owner of an Acura, I'd argue that Acura has much more business selling a $39k CUT than VW does. Acura has a lot more prestige than VW if that sort of thing matters to you.
      I could argue that besides the SH-AWD, Acura has no technology to be putting an almost $40k price tag on the RDX. It's even built right here in the US. The Tiguan starts at $23k and it's built in Europe. When you add premium features, it loads up the price to almost $40k.

Some would also argue that an almost $60k Toureag shouldn't be sold by VW, but sales have been good. Dealers can't even keep '11s in stock at this point

20. 01-01-2011 06:42 PM #45
      Acura RDX's turbo...what is it?

Well, it's this sort of roundish thingy about this (cups hands) big that has something inside going 'round, 'round, & 'round... (you asked).

FWIW, years ago, (05 or 06) an Acura rep told me that it was an in house unit built under license to Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch, but I have no proof of fact.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:42 PM #46

EDIT:

Let's establish a few facts to counter your statements. First a fully loaded RDX is $38.5K. Second a comparable equipped (but still fewer features) XC60 is $3K more. The fully loaded version you speak of (300hp awd) is $7500 more than an RDX. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The Tiguan is less technologically advanced not more. Simpler less advanced AWD, smaller less powerful engine. Less cargo room, less pasanger room, worse dealer experience, worse warranty, worse resale, etc.

Last the Q5 you speak of is the halogen headlight, no navi, no moonroof, no heated seats version. While a great suv, a stripped version is nothing to write home about. Comparable equipped it is $44K which is $55oo more than the RDX. Whether it's worth that much more is up to each person. To me it would be worth it, but to me no cute ute is worth $40K. At least the MDX, FX, and RX class have some value at $42-45K.
      This huge gap between HP and torque on Honda engines absolutely pisses me off, it's downright ridiculous
      Is this a joke? You drive a diesel which has the same curve inverted. I would hate to drive a 140hp car that had 250ft lbs of torque. I'd rather drive a 250 hp car with 140 ft lbs of torque. At least you can gear that to multiply the torque. No way to overcome only 140hp.

And just for the record.
      IS350 306 hp @ 6400 rpm 277 lb-ft @ 4,800
      G37 328 hp @ 7,000 rpm 269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm
      CTS 304 @ 6400 273 lb ft @ 5200
      TL 305 @ 6300 rpm 273 lb ft @ 5000 rpm
      Notice any similarities?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:43 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      And a sunroof is a must for me, is it optional on a Tiguan?

Yup, Pano Roof is optional of the SE and up

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:43 PM #48
      I could argue that besides the SH-AWD, Acura has no technology to be putting an almost $40k price tag on the RDX.
      But again, dude, if you skip the overpriced technology package, an RDX with SH-AWD stickers at $34k or so, and are available all day long for around $32k. So yeah, I agree it has no business at $40k, but it isn't priced there either....

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:49 PM #49

To me it would be worth it, but to me no cute ute is worth $40K. At least the MDX, FX, and RX class have some value at $42-45K.
      Agree with this 100x, spend slightly more and get a larger, more powerful car, like the MDX versus the RDX. The only way I'd be in a Q5 would be if they put it a diesel in it. Yes it might be best in the cute-ute class, but it's just not worth it. a TDI would make it worth it for me

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:52 PM #50
      Agree with this 100x, spend slightly more and get a larger, more powerful car, like the MDX versus the RDX.
      No, no, no.

RDX (base, SH-AWD): $34,520
      MDX (base, SH-AWD standard): $42,580

"Slightly more" is $8k, or almost 25%?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast