Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acura RDX's turbo...what is it?

Vehicles
      Truck that runs on smug fuel
      01-01-2011 06:09 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Totally agree
      Tiguan would be my choice or even the XC60. The Acura doesn't have the name or the prestige to be charging almost $40k for a fully loaded one. The XC60 embarrasses this car in power, etc and the Tiguan is only a flash away from 240hp.

A loaded Tiguan SEL is about $39k also and you get a more technologically advanced car compared to the Acura. Bi-xenons with AFS, rain sensors, Pano roof, HDD nav. 6 speed auto (5 speed on the RDX, is this 2005?), DI engine, etc

EDIT:

You can get a base 2.0T Q5 for about $35,000 also, hands down better car than the Acura
      Last edited by AutoUnion32; 01-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      01-01-2011 06:15 PM #37
      Ah, I see the rabid fanboys are out.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      01-01-2011 06:19 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoUnion32 View Post
      Tiguan would be my choice or even the XC60. The Acura doesn't have the name or the prestige to be charging almost $40k for a fully loaded one. The XC60 embarrasses this car in power, etc and the Tiguan is only a flash away from 240hp.

A loaded Tiguan SEL is about $39k also and you get a more technologically advanced car compared to the Acura. Bi-xenons with AFS, rain sensors, Pano roof, HDD nav. 6 speed auto (5 speed on the RDX, is this 2005?), DI engine, etc

EDIT:

You can get a base 2.0T Q5 for about $35,000 also, hands down better car than the Acura
      I wouldn't pay nearly $40k for an RDX, I'm looking at preowned in the $28-30k range ('09-10 with <20k miles.) I agree that the tech package is overpriced as well.

And as far as technology, you can compare features, but I was thinking about the SH-AWD and the 2.3T engine (which I prefer to VW's 2.0T as I don't trust DI.

Edit: and BTW, as the owner of a VW and the former owner of an Acura, I'd argue that Acura has much more business selling a $39k CUT than VW does. Acura has a lot more prestige than VW if that sort of thing matters to you.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 06:26 PM #39

EDIT:

So Acura doesn't have "prestige", but VW does?

Have you driven any of these cars?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DIAF View Post
      So Acura doesn't have "prestige", but VW does?

Have you driven any of these cars?
      When I was referring to prestige, I was talking about the XC60 and Q5. Not the Tiguan, even then I'd much rather be driving a Tiguan/XC60/Q5 than an RDX

For those who think I've haven't driven them, I've driven the Tiguan, RDX, XC60, Q5, X3, GLK extensively and still think the best 2 are the Q5 and XC60

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:35 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I wouldn't pay nearly $40k for an RDX, I'm looking at preowned in the $28-30k range ('09-10 with <20k miles.) I agree that the tech package is overpriced as well.
      If we're talking CPO, then a CPO RDX might potentially be a great deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see CPO X3s, RXs for that amount of money. The tech package for both the RDX and Tiguan is just overpriced. Essentially throwing away $4-5k just for a NAV/Sunroof, etc

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:36 PM #42
      When I was referring to prestige, I was talking about the XC60 and Q5. Not the Tiguan, even then I'd much rather be driving a Tiguan/XC60/Q5 than an RDX

For those who think I've haven't driven them, I've driven the Tiguan, RDX, XC60, Q5, X3, GLK extensively and still think the best 2 are the Q5 and XC60
      That's fair, but what does it cost to get a Q5 or XC60 equipped with leather, HIDs, AWD, and Bluetooth? I'm guessing quite a bit more than the street price of an SH-AWD RDX (around $32k.) If I was looking to spend around $40k, I'd b looking at the Q5 and XC60 too, but at the low-$30s, I don't think they are really an option.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:37 PM #43
      If we're talking CPO, then a CPO RDX might potentially be a great deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see CPO X3s, RXs for that amount of money. The tech package for both the RDX and Tiguan is just overpriced. Essentially throwing away $4-5k just for a NAV/Sunroof, etc
      RXs are waaaaay overpriced CPO; to get near $30k you're talking probably 50k miles or 4 years old or both. The X3, I just don't like and wouldn't pay the BMW tax for. And a sunroof is a must for me, is it optional on a Tiguan?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:39 PM #44

And as far as technology, you can compare features, but I was thinking about the SH-AWD and the 2.3T engine (which I prefer to VW's 2.0T as I don't trust DI.

Edit: and BTW, as the owner of a VW and the former owner of an Acura, I'd argue that Acura has much more business selling a $39k CUT than VW does. Acura has a lot more prestige than VW if that sort of thing matters to you.
      I could argue that besides the SH-AWD, Acura has no technology to be putting an almost $40k price tag on the RDX. It's even built right here in the US. The Tiguan starts at $23k and it's built in Europe. When you add premium features, it loads up the price to almost $40k.

Some would also argue that an almost $60k Toureag shouldn't be sold by VW, but sales have been good. Dealers can't even keep '11s in stock at this point

10. 01-01-2011 06:42 PM #45
      Acura RDX's turbo...what is it?

Well, it's this sort of roundish thingy about this (cups hands) big that has something inside going 'round, 'round, & 'round... (you asked).

FWIW, years ago, (05 or 06) an Acura rep told me that it was an in house unit built under license to Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch, but I have no proof of fact.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500e, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi, 2004 Acura TSX
      01-01-2011 06:42 PM #46

EDIT:

Let's establish a few facts to counter your statements. First a fully loaded RDX is $38.5K. Second a comparable equipped (but still fewer features) XC60 is $3K more. The fully loaded version you speak of (300hp awd) is $7500 more than an RDX. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The Tiguan is less technologically advanced not more. Simpler less advanced AWD, smaller less powerful engine. Less cargo room, less pasanger room, worse dealer experience, worse warranty, worse resale, etc.

Last the Q5 you speak of is the halogen headlight, no navi, no moonroof, no heated seats version. While a great suv, a stripped version is nothing to write home about. Comparable equipped it is $44K which is $55oo more than the RDX. Whether it's worth that much more is up to each person. To me it would be worth it, but to me no cute ute is worth $40K. At least the MDX, FX, and RX class have some value at $42-45K.
      This huge gap between HP and torque on Honda engines absolutely pisses me off, it's downright ridiculous
      Is this a joke? You drive a diesel which has the same curve inverted. I would hate to drive a 140hp car that had 250ft lbs of torque. I'd rather drive a 250 hp car with 140 ft lbs of torque. At least you can gear that to multiply the torque. No way to overcome only 140hp.

And just for the record.
      IS350 306 hp @ 6400 rpm 277 lb-ft @ 4,800
      G37 328 hp @ 7,000 rpm 269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm
      CTS 304 @ 6400 273 lb ft @ 5200
      TL 305 @ 6300 rpm 273 lb ft @ 5000 rpm
      Notice any similarities?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:43 PM #47
      And a sunroof is a must for me, is it optional on a Tiguan?

Yup, Pano Roof is optional of the SE and up

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:43 PM #48
      I could argue that besides the SH-AWD, Acura has no technology to be putting an almost $40k price tag on the RDX.
      But again, dude, if you skip the overpriced technology package, an RDX with SH-AWD stickers at $34k or so, and are available all day long for around $32k. So yeah, I agree it has no business at $40k, but it isn't priced there either....

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:49 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post

To me it would be worth it, but to me no cute ute is worth $40K. At least the MDX, FX, and RX class have some value at $42-45K.
      Agree with this 100x, spend slightly more and get a larger, more powerful car, like the MDX versus the RDX. The only way I'd be in a Q5 would be if they put it a diesel in it. Yes it might be best in the cute-ute class, but it's just not worth it. a TDI would make it worth it for me

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 06:52 PM #50
      Agree with this 100x, spend slightly more and get a larger, more powerful car, like the MDX versus the RDX.
      No, no, no.

RDX (base, SH-AWD): $34,520
      MDX (base, SH-AWD standard): $42,580

"Slightly more" is $8k, or almost 25%?

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:01 PM #51
      No, no, no.

RDX (base, SH-AWD): $34,520
      MDX (base, SH-AWD standard): $42,580

"Slightly more" is $8k, or almost 25%?
      Maybe it's just me but I'd gladly spend the money to buy the MDX (just not the new beak version ) It's bigger, more powerful, holds more people.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:03 PM #52
      Maybe it's just me but I'd gladly spend the money to buy the MDX (just not the new beak version ) It's bigger, more powerful, holds more people.
      I'd spend the extra money too, if I could afford it, which I can't reasonably. My point is that it's not a case of spending "slightly" more, it's an extra $8k or 25%, putting it in a whole other price bracket.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:09 PM #53
      I'd spend the extra money too, if I could afford it, which I can't reasonably. My point is that it's not a case of spending "slightly" more, it's an extra $8k or 25%, putting it in a whole other price bracket.
      I wonder if Acura/Honda are still doing their very good lease deals on these cars. There were some intriguing offers before for both the RDX and MDX and both monthly payments were near each other.

Since you're saying you want a used one, I really can't argue against the RDX for a CPO car. The X3 is there, but I'm not a fan of the old X3 either. For around $28k-30k, you will probably be getting a great deal on this. My major gripes with Acura nowadays are the stupid beak and the lack of dealers in Maine. Within 15 miles, I have 2 VW dealers, Audi, Porsche, MB, BMW, Infiniti, Cadilliac, Lexus, even Suzuzki, but no Acura

I'd have to drive an hour just for issues and go to my local Honda dealer for service (something I would not want to do after hearing some horror stories from my family with Hondas), especially since this car is unlike any Honda and has a turbo.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:12 PM #54
      I wonder if Acura/Honda are still doing their very good lease deals on these cars. There were some intriguing offers before for both the RDX and MDX and both monthly payments were near each other.
      I drive too much to lease, and to me, unless I could write off the lease payments (which I can't) there's no point. I hope to keep whatever I buy for about 10 years (paid off for 6 or so of them) so leasing just doesn't do it for me.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 07:15 PM #55

Define extensively.

Also, these CUV's are all so good that it really comes down to personal preference and appeal. Best to worst isn't a matter of FXX to Pinto.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:18 PM #56
      I drive too much to lease, and to me, unless I could write off the lease payments (which I can't) there's no point. I hope to keep whatever I buy for about 10 years (paid off for 6 or so of them) so leasing just doesn't do it for me.
      Sounds reasonable why you want a slightly used one and CPO, so you get an extended warranty

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      01-01-2011 07:21 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      Ah, I see the rabid fanboys are out.
      Jesus Christ, tell me about it.

I thought the Honda guys were supposed to be the immature ones.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 07:23 PM #58
      Sounds reasonable why you want a slightly used one and CPO, so you get an extended warranty
      We got ours CPO with 40k on it (no tech package) for $22k out the door.

There was nothing close in terms of value per dollar when we got it.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      01-01-2011 07:25 PM #59
      We got ours CPO with 40k on it (no tech package) for $22k out the door.

There was nothing close in terms of value per dollar when we got it.
      B-b-but you could have gotten a used Tiguan or a CX-7! Direct Injection, man! Technology, man!
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:27 PM #60
      Define extensively.

Also, these CUV's are all so good that it really comes down to personal preference and appeal. Best to worst isn't a matter of FXX to Pinto.
      Was thinking of downsizing the Q7 to something smaller over the summer and took each one out on on my own "test-drive" route for a little over an hour alone. It's about 35 miles. Traffic, country, highway, curvy roads, everything.

Had to drove an hour to the Acura dealer and drive the RDX on some roads around Portsmouth, NH.

Conclusions for each car:
      XC60: Amazing powertain, great seats, POS Nav system
      Q5: The sportiest of the bunch, felt like an A4, but slightly higher. Didn't drive like an SUV at all
      Tiguan: love the 2.0T, but too small. Handled very well also
      X3: Not a fan, cheap interior, not comfortable at all, too old at this point, hopefully the new one fixed the issues?
      GLK: lease specials for college girls, the 'cutest" cute-ute and the fact it was 1st introduced in Sex In The City doesn't help its case. The interior is not up to MB standards, like the E
      RDX: Handled well, hate the look

All these CUTs (except the X3) are great, can't go wrong with any of them. It really is personal preference. I was very annoyed that loaded versions of the XC60, X3, GLK, Q5 were nearing $50k, why not spend a little more and get the X5, ML, Q7 at that point?

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 07:30 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      B-b-but you could have gotten a used Tiguan or a CX-7! Direct Injection, man! Technology, man!
      I was thinking about the injector technology over the past few days as I drove it around in the snow with the seat heaters on, XM cranking, enjoying the precise steering (for what it is), and the firm, comfortable, thick leather seats. Direct injection would have made it so much better!

Seriously, it's a cute ute. It's my wife's DD. It's never going to see a performance driving event, and it's got all the gusto needed to pass anything in the way.

It has exactly one modification, a rear view camera.

Let's keep some perspective here

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:35 PM #62
      I was thinking about the injector technology over the past few days as I drove it around in the snow with the seat heaters on, XM cranking, enjoying the precise steering (for what it is), and the firm, comfortable, thick leather seats. Direct injection would have made it so much better!

Seriously, it's a cute ute. It's my wife's DD. It's never going to see a performance driving event, and it's got all the gusto needed to pass anything in the way.

It has exactly one modification, a rear view camera.

Let's keep some perspective here
      I really think it's the perfect foil to my S2000; a fun-to-drive, fairly compact, relatively fast/good handling pseudo-luxo SUV with enough toys to keep me interested and enough cargo space for the little homeowner-type stuff I do. Really, a CRV would be a smarter buy, but I "NEED" that turbo and extra 80hp and torks.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:39 PM #63
      I really think it's the perfect foil to my S2000; a fun-to-drive, fairly compact, relatively fast/good handling pseudo-luxo SUV with enough toys to keep me interested and enough cargo space for the little homeowner-type stuff I do. Really, a CRV would be a smarter buy, but I "NEED" that turbo and extra 80hp and torks.

How about a RAV4 V6? Yes, it doesn't handle that well, but that V6 is just out of this world in such a small car. I was shocked to see how quick it really was (You might actually be onto something when you say the RDX is a value at that price CPO)

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 07:42 PM #64
      It has just enough space for homeowner stuff. A new 36" screen door will fit with the tailgate up, much more than that and the $20 truck from Home Depot gets the call.

My wife is already eyeing the MDX for when we have children, at which point I'll likely inherit the RDX. I will be in no way disappointed with it.

I would think it'd be quite complimentary to an S2000.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:43 PM #65
      How about a RAV4 V6? Yes, it doesn't handle that well, but that V6 is just out of this world in such a small car. I was shocked to see how quick it really was (You might actually be onto something when you say the RDX is a value at that price CPO)
      RAV4 styling doesn't do it for me, inside or out, and I think loaded up with the toys it isn't any cheaper than the CPO RDX. I was actually looking at a Highlander also, but the crappy fit and finish (see the Camry Hybrid thread) has really put me off Toyotas. I also like that the RDX is a little more rare; it's not a Lambo or anything, but there aren't 15 of them cluttering up every high school parking lot around here like the RAV4 and CRV do.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:45 PM #66
      It has just enough space for homeowner stuff. A new 36" screen door will fit with the tailgate up, much more than that and the $20 truck from Home Depot gets the call.
      I'm plotting to build a small (4x8'?) utility trailer for hauling mulch and firewood and furniture and stuff. RDX only tows 1500lbs, but I don't plan on towing much or going very far.

Vehicles
      01-01-2011 07:46 PM #67
      RAV4 styling doesn't do it for me, inside or out, and I think loaded up with the toys it isn't any cheaper than the CPO RDX. I was actually looking at a Highlander also, but the crappy fit and finish (see the Camry Hybrid thread) has really put me off Toyotas.
      I really like the front-end of the facelifted model, very sharp. My uncle has a loaded 08 Highlander Limited and yeah, the fit and finish is not on par with a $40K+ price tag that he paid.

33. 01-01-2011 07:50 PM #68

EDIT:

so let met get this straight. You're saying a $40K RDX is overpriced, but a $39K Tiguan is not?

I'm not a fan of the RDX, but it runs circles around the Tiguan in just about everything.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      01-01-2011 07:51 PM #69
      I'm plotting to build a small (4x8'?) utility trailer for hauling mulch and firewood and furniture and stuff. RDX only tows 1500lbs, but I don't plan on towing much or going very far.
      That'd do the trick for sure.

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      01-01-2011 07:52 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
      I was thinking (and I think most Honda guys were) that this new turbo (when it debuted) was going to be really easy to mod and easy to retrofit into other old/future vehicles. I remember the TSX rumors until it became obvious with a top mount, it ain't going anywhere.

Honda usually designs engines to be used in other models, it really is shocking this is a RDX only unit.

We all know its reliable. I'm reading on Porsche Cayenne's now and there seems to be a serious design flaw with the coolant pipes (which can lead to more repairs). So at least no one has to worry about reliability here.

I had wet dreams of buying a 1st gen TSX with the RDX motor, or even a CR-V, Accord a real USDM Type-R Civic with this motor. Heck I might even be able to get over the beak in the new TSX if I could have the RDX turbo- four in say a 2011 TSX wagon with a 6-speed manual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast