Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Heater Core on 2003 Jetta GLX

1. 01-04-2011 05:52 PM #1
      Happy New year!!

Anyone here has some pictures or instructions on how to replace a heater core on a Jetta?? A link would be great too.

Thank you in advance.

Jay

Vehicles
      04 GTI 24vT, 2013 FR-S
      01-04-2011 08:45 PM #2
      go buy a Bentley manual. its all in there, along with almost every other maintenance/repair procedure. its a great book to own. and pulling the dash for the heater core is not a tough job, it just takes some time if its your first attempt at a job like this

3. 01-04-2011 08:59 PM #3
      did you need to replace yours? is the heater core teh same as the climatronic box? if so i got a complete spare if you need
      formerly TVarmy04 & DUBMANG
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      04 GTI 24vT, 2013 FR-S
      01-04-2011 09:10 PM #4
      i did not have to replace mine but ive had the dash/basically everything under it removed before. the heater core is part of the climatronic unit. its one section inside of it.

5. 01-04-2011 09:20 PM #5
      so what are you asking?

once the dash is off the whole unit is right their. i can look in the garage and count how many mounting points their are and location if you need?

the toughest part i had when i did my climatronic swap were the bolts behind the fire wall inside the engine bay. after that its just electric plugs and the big brass clamp that has the 2 metal hoses going from inside the car >> inside engine bay.
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      04 GTI 24vT, 2013 FR-S
      01-04-2011 09:25 PM #6
      im not asking anything. i was telling him the best way to go about replacing it

7. 01-04-2011 09:35 PM #7
      haha i fail... i thot u were the OP

listen kids, dont browse forums from your phone
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Vehicles
      04 GTI 24vT, 2013 FR-S
      01-04-2011 09:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by DUB_MANGv2 View Post
      haha i fail... i thot u were the OP

listen kids, dont browse forums from your phone

9. 01-05-2011 12:32 AM #9
      That's what I was afraid of... The symptom that I'm having now is that the windows gets frosted up after the heater has been used. So far, no leakage that I can detect at this point (knock on wood).

I just hope this heater core can make it until spring or summer so that I can do the swap, since the damn weather here is about 0 degree.

Please let me know what you guys got spare parts and I possibly can buy it from you.

Thanks,

Jay

10. 01-05-2011 11:58 AM #10
      i have a complete climatronic setup from my glx no cut wires.
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

11. 01-05-2011 01:05 PM #11
      Is this part of the heater core? If so, how much? You can also send me e-mail directly if you need to and it's xmdms@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Jay

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      01-06-2011 01:58 AM #12
      Can you smell coolant? If your core is leaking, then you WILL smell the coolant.

If your windows are fogging up then you need to turn recirculation OFF and make sure to turn the fan up pretty high and on full heat. I usually rock somewhere between front window defrost and feet. Then if it gets too hot you can tilt open the sunroof to let out some hot air. Also another good tech is to turn the vent control partially to the face vents (like just about halfway between face and feet) but close the middle two and then aim the 2 side ones right at the windows.

If your car straight up doesn't blow hot air, then there are several things that might be the problem. (Including a blocked/clogged heater core), or if your car ever overheats (when heat is on full, and in the winter), then it's probably the water pump.
      Last edited by PhReE; 01-06-2011 at 02:00 AM.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

13. 01-06-2011 02:16 AM #13
      i remembr when i bugged phree many years ago when i did my swap lol... i think i was texting up your phone pretty bad that nite..
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      01-10-2011 04:51 PM #14
      Haha I can't remember that specifically but I know I have helped LOTS of ppl with weird/random stuff either over IM, phone, txt, etc, lol.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

15. 01-13-2011 09:50 AM #15
      Ok, here's the latest status of the heater core issue as I thought previously.

1. The heater core is still good. No smell or leakage. I get plenty of heat once the motor is at operating temperature.

2. The "recycle" button does displayed with an arrow when pressed and off when pressed again.

3. Try to have the air output to all different positions by pressing the buttons on the climate control panel while adjusting the vents as you've recommended. All worked as it should.

4. Drove the car for 30 mins with the heat on "high" position.

5. Parked the car with the fan & climate control unit off.

6. Came out to check the car after it has been parked for 8 hours and see no condensation or frost.

Ok, I am not sure what I did or how it did not frost up this time. It usually, frost up in 5 mins of driving with the heat on. Is my climate control unit is not functioning properly or the blend vent door is not functioning correctly??

I am lost on this. I was thinking of buying a jar of the silica gel and place that in the car to soak up the condensation - Who knows....

Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Can you smell coolant? If your core is leaking, then you WILL smell the coolant.

If your windows are fogging up then you need to turn recirculation OFF and make sure to turn the fan up pretty high and on full heat. I usually rock somewhere between front window defrost and feet. Then if it gets too hot you can tilt open the sunroof to let out some hot air. Also another good tech is to turn the vent control partially to the face vents (like just about halfway between face and feet) but close the middle two and then aim the 2 side ones right at the windows.

If your car straight up doesn't blow hot air, then there are several things that might be the problem. (Including a blocked/clogged heater core), or if your car ever overheats (when heat is on full, and in the winter), then it's probably the water pump.

Vehicles
      '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 un-ko4'd gti... '03 gli in the past
      01-13-2011 04:03 PM #16
      any moisture in the car will fog up the windows, wet feet, carpet, snow etc will do it. if i leave my snowboard in the trunk with some snow on it by the morning usually the inside glass would be frozen.
      BILLY BOAT, H&R , SOUTHBEND , UNITRONIC & VMR WHEELS at Vw of South Charlotte NC
      VSC Tuning
      Chapter 11 dubs

17. 01-13-2011 06:03 PM #17
      That's funny and a bad design. Unfortunately, I got one of those cars. I just bought this car for my teen driver - I personally, drive a Saab 9-5. My Saab 9-5 is one year older than this VW, but doesn't any of these issues. I guess, I'll get for what you paid for.

Thanks,

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      01-13-2011 06:14 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Jat007 View Post
      That's funny and a bad design. Unfortunately, I got one of those cars. I just bought this car for my teen driver - I personally, drive a Saab 9-5. My Saab 9-5 is one year older than this VW, but doesn't any of these issues. I guess, I'll get for what you paid for.

Thanks,
      Well, its nothing to do with the design of the car. It's really physics, when the windows are cold and there is warm wet air in the car the water in the air will condense on the windows. The goal is to get warm DRY air in the car. This applies to ANY car, although a car that is larger, and with more interior space, will be less susceptible.
      -James