Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the dumbest thing you've done working on your mk3

Vehicles
      95 GTI,98 Jetta glx,98 528i,b7 A4,99 Chevy z71
      03-06-2012 08:35 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3vr97 View Post
      Forgot my toolbox was in the back of the car. Backed up and ran it right over
      haha ive done that!!
      /Oo==\X/==oO\

Vehicles
      83 GTi, 97 GTi VR6 DE, 09 Touareg
      03-06-2012 09:03 PM #142
      drained tranny fluid on my t-reg while changing oil? yay 600$ to top off tranny fluid... Mk3 wise... same old widowmaker story as everyone else.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 Jetta GLX VR6
      03-06-2012 10:58 PM #143
      First coolant flush I did, it war still pretty warm. I was trying to see the drain plug of the VR crackpipe. I wound up with nice hot green stuff sprayed all over my face and shirt
      Quote Originally Posted by X37 View Post
      I'm drunk and your thread annoys me.
      Quote Originally Posted by swirvtheman View Post
      And then when im on the on ramp to the highway I punch it and wind out 3rd gear and hear that intake and the exhaust together in perfect harmony as it rips a humongous hole in the ozone layer and causes the spontaneous explosions of tree huggers faces.

Vehicles
      96 GTI(sold),99.5 A4(sold),98 GTI(sold),00 GTI(sold),98 Jetta(sold),97 Jetta(sold),96 GTI
      03-06-2012 11:08 PM #144
      Was trying to ground out some stuff in my trunk area while installing air and drilled into my gas tank after looking under the car checking for clearance!!

Didn't happen while working on my car but driving, had my first air set up set too low and rubbed a hole through one of my front bags at 40mph going around a corner, that was a fun night!

Vehicles
      mk3 glx, mk3 trek, mk2 coupe, mk4 golf, mk4 gti, mk2 coupe
      03-06-2012 11:33 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by bagged_hag View Post
      Was trying to ground out some stuff in my trunk area while installing air and drilled into my gas tank after looking under the car checking for clearance!!

Didn't happen while working on my car but driving, had my first air set up set too low and rubbed a hole through one of my front bags at 40mph going around a corner, that was a fun night!
      Read: "I bought air ride...doh!!!"
      Lol
      Where is Lehighton, PA?
      Follow/add me @baskutkayz

Vehicles
      94 golf, 95 jetta, 70 baja bug, 70 convertible bug, 89 van, 85 van, 94 jetta
      08-07-2012 09:14 PM #146
      tried to replace the heater controls with a junk yard set... the clips were broke but figured i could just set it where i needed. worked till dad borrows car and changes it. lol

7. 08-19-2012 06:56 PM #147
      While installing a new %*#@ coilpack on my VR, I somehow managed to plug the 'lead' (not sure what the wires do?) in upside down?! When I tried to start the car, the ignition switch was toast!
      This of course happened as I was picking up my fiancee from school (500km from home) and we had tickets to fly to meet my family in three days! The dealership really did bend over backwards to get my dumbass back on the road and we made our flights!

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      08-20-2012 09:56 PM #148
      There's probably a lot more answers in the MK4 forum.

Vehicles
      1997 VW Golf 4 door K2
      08-21-2012 12:01 AM #149
      two things.
      first one: cranked an oil pan bolt crooked, and cross threaded it.
      second one: putting the door back on, and let the door fall closed and crushed the plug on the pillar.
      Also, dat early VW fuel injection. Have fun OP, you'll need the VW special fuel injection adjustment tool set: A box containing a hammer for hitting the FI setup with, and a gun for shooting yourself in the head with when that doesn't work. - 4chan.org/o/

Vehicles
      '98 & '97 vr (gone)
      09-15-2012 03:32 PM #150
      tightened my adapters down with a chisel "it'll be good for now".....
      Longboards and Volkswagens

Vehicles
      95 2.0 turbo, 97 vr6
      09-15-2012 04:11 PM #151
      got 5 stiches in my lip from pulling a distributer out
      OG suede

I survived epic thread 2011 never forget 11/11/11
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      You have a harness you forgot to plug back in, and you want to know where it goes? Back where you found it would be my guess..

12. 09-15-2012 05:52 PM #152
      Unscrewed the power connectors,(speaker wires,vacuum locks etc) from the drivers side and shut the door off and it broke. 3 days later did the same sh!et to the passenger's side.

Ps. I lmao @ all the posts. hilarious!
      Last edited by E-RustBox'er; 09-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta GL
      09-15-2012 08:06 PM #153
      I disconnected the MAF sensor one night and in the morning thought my car was broken. Ended up driving all the way to work, but at each stop, Id get out of gear and press the brake with left foot while trying to stay on the gas to keep the engine on with my right foot. Felt like slapping myself when I got to work and realized it was unplugged

Vehicles
      98' GLX
      09-16-2012 01:38 AM #154
      Drained my billet crack pipe without releasing pressure by opening the cap first. lucky I didn't get coolant in my eyes...no safety glasses. Double whammy I guess.

15. 09-16-2012 02:10 AM #155
      Oh this list

Slightly smashed rocker from jack.
      almost destroyed inter cooler that stopped the engine from falling on top of me when taking the core mount off
      Snaped ear off the alternator PIC HERE, was praying against it and the bolt was still partially in. Funny thing, i am still driving it as is, the ear that is broke is jsut a big washer now. truly so beefy that i dont think it matters, will weld it up some time when i care enough

THEN I UPGRADED TO the 130 PD intake , ima TDI btw, Put it in BBQ to get the crud out, crud turned to fuel and melted the intake and destryed my $400 grills electronit part on its side. good thing i came out to check on it, would have burned down the deck.

wil post more when i think of them, had the tire lose bolts ect, but got it in time before any damage.

Vehicles
      95 golf sport
      09-16-2012 02:12 AM #156
      checked oil level one night before a 100+ mile cruise, and add oil accordingly. Park half way through the next morning, and see oil drips next after 50 miles. Realize Im a bonehead, and forgot to put oil cap back on, but find said cap dangling from shift linkage. Lucky save, and stupid mistake. No harm made, thankfully.
      TBS Fo Life!
      psn: PandaGti
      I can't wait for Oktoberfest!!!

Vehicles
      '98 GTI VR6, '99 A4 Avant
      09-16-2012 03:47 AM #157
      -over tightened the belt tensioner on a vr6, and cracked the casting. Because I couldn't get it loose it cost me an entire assembly with pulley as well as a new belt.

-stripped out two of the bolts on a vr6 steel pan.. two that are deep in between the pan and the transmission.
      p o r s c h e n v y

Vehicles
      Was a 97 GLX jetta vr6 black/black
      09-16-2012 05:36 AM #158
      mushroomed the axle yesterday. seems my cv axle is in with the power of hulk. IN it stays, then and no more hammers on axles!

overtightened steering column cover screws and broke....both sides.

decided to drive home after getting a bit tipsy. who knows how my oil pan got dented, strut/tie rod got bent, 2 wheels chunked up, brake line frayed, fender hashed and only guy around here that has vr6 parts thinks the parts are worth gold. just a giant brilliant decision I made
      Watch out for shady sketchy crooked guy kevin goddard. '2dr.jetta'

"All these little kiddies don't really get what is "tasteful". More interested in scene points, tight fitting jeans, ugly painted wheels, stickers, and flat brimmed hats."

Vehicles
      MK3 VR6's
      09-16-2012 09:36 AM #159
      ****ty decisions have ****ty consequences.
      SoWo

BHC- It's not about who we are, it's just how we feel.

Roll Tide.

Vehicles
      1994 Alpine White Golf
      12-05-2012 05:21 PM #160
      While replacing a leaky heater hose, I broke the inlet nipple while yanking and twisting on the hose to get it off. I really should have cut in and peeled it like a banana since it was going in the trash anyways.. Lesson learned (while I'm still driving around with no heat).

Vehicles
      '83 TD Rabbit, 98 Jetta wolfy, '06 TDI Golf
      12-05-2012 07:47 PM #161
      Took a big old swig of brake fluid out of a beer can I drained it into a month prior. Tastes just like it smells, delicious!
      Diesel>Sex

22. 12-05-2012 08:06 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by snowyroads View Post
      Took a big old swig of brake fluid out of a beer can I drained it into a month prior. Tastes just like it smells, delicious!

Seriously that sucks .

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 Golf Harlequin, '90 Corrado G60
      12-05-2012 08:14 PM #163
      The worst ive done and am still trying to fix to this day, while re-installing my engine and trans, i connected the positive from the battery to the trans housing and the negive to the starter and then fried my ecu and some sensors.

The reason i had to take my engine and trans out is because my clutch literally blew up when i was going 40 and locked up the engine and i came to a screeching halt.

When trying to just pull the trans i stripped every single triple square on the axles.

The reason my clutch blew is because the green plastic cover wasnt pushed in and that damned plastic coolant flange dry rotted and cracked and spewed coolant down all over my cluch and anti-freeze and the clutch material apparently disagree with each other.

I was buffing the car to remove oxidation and burnt through the paint on one of my pillars

I bought a ford as a daily driver.
      Her name is Skiddles. When you see her, you'll know why

Vehicles
      95 Cabrio TDI, 01 Beetle TDI, 96 B4V TDI on air
      12-05-2012 09:38 PM #164
      I gotta get in on this.

3 months ago I supported the rear beam on the beam itself with jack stands (in a hurry). Popped the last bolt out of bottom of strut without thinking (it was kinda hard to get out). I was sitting inside wheel well a little when the rear axle swung up and the brake rotor ****ing smashed my face.

Broke my front toof, ripped my nose completely open, and ripped a dime sized hole in my chin that actually went all the way through to my gums. I could pull my lip out and see the roots of my bottom teeth.

Lucky me I had the VA stitch me up. Cost me $500 to fix the tooth and I look better for it (tooth was a little crooked, not any more!).

Got stitches all over my face without anasthetic. Been a long time since I worked on spring-equipped cars so I was a bit rusty on safety protocol. Oy.

Last edited by GreasySideDown; 12-06-2012 at 03:13 AM.
      I am Lord of The Crab People, bow to me.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta GL
      12-05-2012 09:42 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by GreasySideDown View Post
      I gotta get in on this.

3 months ago I supported the rear beam on the beam itself with jack stands (in a hurry). Popped the last bolt out of bottom of strut without thinking (it was kinda hard to get out). I was sitting inside wheel well a little when the rear axle swung up and the brake rotor ****ing smashed my face.

Broke my front toof, ripped my nose completely open, and ripped a dime sized hole in my chin that actually went all the way through to my gums. I could pull my lip out and see the roots of my bottom teeth.

Lucky me I had the VA stitch me up. Cost me $500 to fix the tooth and I look better for it (tooth was a little crooked, not any more!).

Got stitches all over my face without anasthetic. Been a long time since I worked on spring-equipped cars so I was a bit rusty on safety protocol. Oy.
      **** that sounds painful

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      '97 GTI VR6, '97 Golf 2.slow
      12-05-2012 10:03 PM #166
      Lost my temper fixing something, punched a bunch of dents in my hood.

Bought replacement window regulator and broke it as soon as I took the old one out. My driver side window now has a crank
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      Something something haters something YOLO, etc.
      @Spiller337

Vehicles
      s2, mk4
      12-05-2012 11:19 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Spiller337 View Post
      Lost my temper fixing something, punched a bunch of dents in my hood.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      what happened to just building a car for you, not for attention

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta 2.0 LL1L
      12-05-2012 11:32 PM #168
      i used the OE jack in my driveway that has an incline.

Vehicles
      1996 Jetta GLS
      12-06-2012 01:02 AM #169
      This thread is full of awesome.

Dumbest thing I've done was an oil change while working @ Firestone. Drained oil, changed filter, added oil, turned on car... 5 qts of 5w-30 on the ground. The drain plug was sitting on the rolling oil drain barrel.
      ( . Y . )
      Quote Originally Posted by Sallad View Post
      ...if you find a penis in your bum, ya, you're screwed.

...just re-tap it.

Vehicles
      1987 GLI *sold* 97 gti vr6
      12-06-2012 03:39 AM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by GreasySideDown View Post
      I gotta get in on this.

YUP, I've done that too, luckily I didn't get hurt

31. Member
      12-06-2012 06:21 AM #171
      Was working on changing the lower intake manifold gasket. What a pain in the ass that is.

Disconnected fuel lines, fuel rail and getting the SRI off took a bit. So after I put everything back together I went to drive it around to make sure nothing went wrong when driving to work the next day.

Riding around and it smelt like gas and eventually the car came to a stop at the red light near my house. It was late so I put it in neutral, skateboard pushed the car across the intersection and coasted down a small hill into the Food Lion parking lot. Popped the hood and smelled gas. Kept the hood open and cranked the car and saw what looked like arterial spray coming from the engine bay. One of the fuel hoses cracked and an injector was leaking.

In a rage I walked the mile back to my house and left the car overnight. Called in sick to work the next day and went to get new fuel hoses and fixed the car in the Food Lion parking lot in the middle of summer.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      'You gotta fast car'

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 jetta 1997 GTI
      06-11-2014 08:51 PM #172
      i left a rag after doing engine work , caught fire 20 minutes into driving , no damage

ran a car going to scrap with no oil

my buddy put washer fluid in his coolant and power steering in his oil

about 3 times forgot to tighten a wheel

ive seen someone get zapped connecting battery terminals with their wrench

welded a plumbing pipe when my buddies exhaust fell off , melted to the whole underbody

not my fault * buddys wheel well hit my head cause jacks werent on properly

33. 06-11-2014 09:12 PM #173
      I took the HVAC controls out and lost 2 of those horrible clamps, then spent even more time trying to get them back in because I had them backwards. I did find one of those clamps, but I had to zip tie the temp control cable if I remember correctly

34. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Golf Turbo Diesel Rat
      06-11-2014 10:03 PM #174
      Trying to get plastic clips out of the hood to remove the insulation at 3am with a flash light in my mouth, hood prop jumped ship, hood came down on my face, cut my upper lip through to my gums, 5 stitches later..

.... And cranked the engine over with breaker bar still on the crank bolt after replacing it, had to order another tty bolt
      My 2.0L gas automatic to 1.9L turbo diesel 5 speed swap thread -- http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...bo-diesel-swap

Vehicles
      96 Trek ABA
      06-12-2014 12:01 AM #175
      Someone brought this back up like the Walking Dead OnDemand, so I might as well comment. I am ridiculously anal about checking/double checking things when I do maintenance, so this was my big one.

Mistake #1: Let my dumb ass wife drive the MK3 thinking it could hold up to her ineptitude.

Mistake #2: Didn't ask her every week how the car was doing or drive it myself (yes, it is that serious with her)

Mistake #3: I got to decipher "Sounds like a helicopter when I drive for a while now" several months later when I asked her how long that noise was happening when I took it to the store by random chance one day.

Mistake #4: Grabbed 2 knuckle assemblies with bearing, hubs, all GTG for install. Vaguely remember installing them due to copious amounts of whiskey, and the following test drive had the same sound. Ended up buying axles, another trans, and clutch parts (thanks for that one too wifey). It took me awhile to get new control arms, poly bushings, and a bunch of other new parts installed. Fast forward a year later and it is still apart, I am missing a ton of hardware which requires multiple trips to the yard, and I finally get it all back together.

When I went to sort out the installation of the DS suspension, I realize that I never actually changed that side, and the wheel bearing was fragged the whole time. I did the PS and never did the DS.

Good news, just about everything in the car is brand new

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast