Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What's the dumbest thing you've done working on your mk3

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Porcelain Blue MK3
      02-22-2011 06:07 PM #101
      grinding down the paint on the floor to prep for welding. the sparks hit some insulation and caught it on fire thank god it was a small section still glued on

Vehicles
      B5 A4
      02-22-2011 06:25 PM #102
      I got the game changer here boys.

A couple months after I bought my car, I put power steering fluid into my coolant reservoir...had to have the whole system flushed. Thankfully it was at the dealer.

...not explanation as to why I did this.

Vehicles
      84 gti 98 golf 01 Dakota
      02-22-2011 06:48 PM #103
      Used the widow maker to hold the car up while I changed the driver side fender. Had to do some mild tweaking to get the fit right... so with my legs partially under the car like an idiot, I push on the fender and the car falls. Luckily my ninja skills were on point that day and I rolled out of the way. The car made out with not much more than a dented pinch weld from landing on the jack, the rotor missed the ground by millimeters :phew:
      -Dave-

R.I.P. Alexi

f**k subtlety

4. Member
      Vehicles
      I got fiiiiiiiives on it.
      02-22-2011 06:50 PM #104
      knock the speed sensor off when replacing an axle. twice.

Vehicles
      97 2.0
      02-22-2011 06:52 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by rubbinNdubbin21 View Post
      Luckily my ninja skills were on point that day and I rolled out of the way.
      ninja skills have saved a many great mechanics from a horrible fate.

Vehicles
      Couple A3 Jettas, A4 Jetta, B5.5 Passat, A6 Jetta Sport
      02-22-2011 07:53 PM #106
      Pick up a perfect (except for one little dent) VR with a blown engine for $500. Engine was already removed and in the back of my 4Runner. Towing it home (where I have a waiting good engine in beat to sh!t shell I also got for $500) on U-haul two wheeler. Snow storm so I'm going pretty slow for first 40 miles. 20 miles from home perfect hood flips up and bends like hell and busts the windshield. No engine means no rad support etc and no hood latch...

I will never forget to tie the hood down again.

Vehicles
      Mk3 Soft top..
      02-22-2011 08:22 PM #107
      for those using the widow maker get a scion xb jack, goes lower and doesn't fall.

I have years of these but will stick with the mk3 ones.

after cleaning the Cabrio engine bay a go to toss the little plastic brush across the garage to a bucket, it hits the ceiling then falls and smashes the back window of my mk2 coupe out.

after my buddy helping me put coils on my car, he told me, its all on and tight but you might wanna check the height. I said it was fine, he put the wheel on. next day about 10 miles into a cruise to a bbq gtg I went to get of a 15mph exit at 75-80 and had no brakes. he never put the line in the holder and it rubbed on the axle and drained all the fluid. that was fun since his corrado was in front of me getting off the exit. luckily my rally car youtube watching training came into play. My girl next to me was white knuckled.

when putting my car up on the lift I couldn't find my 6pack of pbr... drove me crazy. I even lowered the car enough to look in the seat area. When I was all done it was sitting on the roof. warm.. nothing sucks like warm Peeber

Vehicles
      Mk1 cabriolet on boost
      02-22-2011 08:43 PM #108
      i replaced the sun roof with a new on then put the head liner back in and realized i didnt put one of the hoses on to the drain from the sunroof... epic fail... still havent felt like taken it all back apart to fix it
      A wise man once said forgiveness is devine but never pay full price for late pizza DUDE

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta GLS, 1992 Corrado SLC
      02-22-2011 09:14 PM #109
      Went to put a new headunit in and when i was finished, went to connect the battery and the damn horn went off scarred the s*** out of me and i smashed my head on the hood

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1996 Golf
      02-22-2011 09:29 PM #110
      left an angle grinder up on the raintray closed the hood and it cracked it

tried to use a bufffer when i was 16 alill to impatient to start out with clay, you all can guess what happend.

paid 450 for a ****ty parts car only to use the tranny
      ALL DUBS NEED LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_White_A3_GTI View Post
      "Yes, when it doubt, always rip off the "little rubber thingy"

Vehicles
      Bagged TT
      02-22-2011 11:04 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Almost1 View Post
      Went to put a new headunit in and when i was finished, went to connect the battery and the damn horn went off scarred the s*** out of me and i smashed my head on the hood

the vw horn trick gets people everytime

Vehicles
      98 Golf
      02-22-2011 11:15 PM #112
      Putting my old BFI lip without knowing you have to cut the corner things out of the actual lip.. tried to force it in by hitting it and snap, brand new lip cracked. I now have an OEM one which has been holding up through a ton of abuse.
      Instagram: @anthonydamario

Vehicles
      '97 GTI 2.0T (v2.0) // '94 Golf LC5P // '83 Rabbit Diesel
      02-23-2011 08:42 AM #113
      lets see i can add a ton to this seeing as i started this project as a total mechanic nub

- Tried to mount a euro grill and head lights to a NA rad supprt and rebar.
      - Believed the label when the coolant says "mixes with all colors".
      - Went hunting for rust holes in the floorpans and exspected that I wouldn't find any.
      - Thought that because I had a DIY on how to do it that replacing the rear beam bushings would
      be a smooth project. All I can say is thank god for donor parts cars.
      - Bought rim's thinking that because they were 4x100 they would fit without a bit of work
      - Ran too many LED's in my cluster and fried the board

I am sure I can think if plenty more and I am sure before the end of this I will do a few more stupid things.

Vehicles
      '91 C2 964, '80 Rabbit L
      02-23-2011 09:55 AM #114
      Biggest mistake? Trying to use the Widowmaker to get my car up on a floor jack.

Started cranking up my car with the widowmaker, apparently the ground was slightly uneven and the car moved over just enough that the widow maker's base moved and basically made the rocker rest on the widowmaker, thus putting a huuuuge gash and dent in my perfect rocker
      Instagram -> @farklefitment
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      ...cretinx tried to touch on this point above but if you check his post history it is fairly easy to tell that he is an imbecile. I have doubts that he can drive a nail, much less a car.

Vehicles
      MK3 VR6's
      02-23-2011 10:58 AM #115
      Bought a used cam gear that had been taken apart and reassembled with the TDC marking 180* off. I didn't think to make sure the timing marks were correct so i put it on, lined everything up, cranked the car, and bent my #3 exhaust valve within 5 seconds of the car running.

It sucked.

Vehicles
      (1996 VW GTI)
      02-23-2011 04:21 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by AlexTFoley93 View Post
      i found a ton of water in my spare tire area and decided to just put a little hole in and let it drain in stead of scooping it out. oh yeah a small hole right in to my freaking gas tank.
      haha smooth

17. 02-23-2011 04:37 PM #117
      misted my coil with a spray bottle to test for defective coil...when i didn't see any sparks, i got my big ole' hands and gave it a good grab.

... i won't be doing that again

Vehicles
      96 Golf 83 Scirocco
      02-23-2011 05:36 PM #118
      I hit myself in the cheekbone with a prybar once while doing an intensely stupid double prybar maneuver with my face conveniently between them. Scar on my face because i was too pissed off to get stitches, yea, not my best moment.

Danza Ian and i were pulling a truck back in the shop, he was guiding me in, and i drove through the shop door with the ladder rack. That was a good one to explain to dad.

I had just got my car running, didn't even have a frontend. Somebody had given me a set of those kumho red smoke tires, so you know, HAD to do a big ass burnout. Left 2 ridiculous 15 foot RED streaks on the shop parking lot. I don't know what i was thinking.

Ian and i went for a ride in his car with the hood ziptied shut. That lasted about halfway down the onramp. Phone call: "Hey man, can you meet us on the ramp to rt. 10? Bring a 13."

Waiting until the night before a race to finish a wiring harness was really dumb.
      Last edited by root beer; 02-23-2011 at 05:39 PM.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1996 VW Golf GTI VR6
      03-05-2012 11:49 PM #119
      I was replacing the Main waterpump, I pulled the front motor mount bolt out, and loosened the rear mount jacked the motor up and couldn't figure out why, I didn't have more space to remove it.

Then oh sh!t, I should loosened the rear mount more.... BAD IDEA, VERY BAD. Now the car is on a jack stand, or rather WAS it's was jacked up 2" or 3" above the stand.

Vehicles
      '95 Jetta III GL
      03-06-2012 12:35 AM #120
      Finished putting my wheels back on, decided to go for a test drive. Come back and get ready to put my hubcaps back on and my hand brushes one of the wheel bolts. F*cker falls out.

Had my fuel pump take a sh*t while visiting my brother in VA. Finally got up, bought my new one and got to work. Spent way too much time getting pissed while laying in the trunk until the last 5 minutes of getting the new pump in. Then the realization sets in...put the f*cking rear seats down. Now I'm not high as balls off gas fumes and can see what I'm doing.

Drove half a mile without realizing the e-brake wasn't released. Good reason to replace my cables since they were frozen.
      "You're not billing me for this, are you?" Bitch, I am a professional. Ass, cash or grass, NO One rides for free.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin_87
      Hell, you could run soda through your cooling system and you would get heat until you destroyed the engine.

Vehicles
      97' VW Golf 2.0
      03-06-2012 01:41 AM #121
      Snapped my rear wiper arm in half, 14 years of punishment does that, then when I put the new one on and released the arm to contact the window, the Cap of the arm cracks and splits in half...**** wipers....
      There Are Three Types of People; Those Who Can Count and Those Who Can't.

Vehicles
      mk3 glx, mk3 trek, mk2 coupe, mk4 golf, mk4 gti, mk2 coupe
      03-06-2012 02:10 AM #122
      Drove around for over a month with my rear wheel bearing on its death-bed...damn thing nearly threw me off the road and down a cliff on the side of the road on the way to work one day.
      To make the story better: going to replace both rear wheel bearings (and brakes while I'm at it) and I managed to snap off 2 of the bolts and strip the other 2 bolts that hold the caliper carriers on. Now I have to take everything apart so I can remove the damn things.
      Where is Lehighton, PA?
      Follow/add me @baskutkayz

23. Member
      Vehicles
      mk4 jetta vr6
      03-06-2012 02:24 AM #123
      ...thought it was going to be an easy and quick and my dub would luv me and never act up again.
      Quote Originally Posted by SirSpectre View Post
      I need a beer and a hooker.

Me oh my oh me and guy oh free'er than a bird cause were rockin Ohio
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta, 95 LeBaron Convertible
      03-06-2012 02:36 AM #124
      jacked my car up to change my oil, and while standing over my car i leaned forward some and pushed my car off the jack. forgot my ebrake didnt work, and i didnt chock the rear wheels.

after draining the oil i reach for an old bottle of oil i had lying around, start putting it in to 'rinse' the old crud out and notice its not a golden color, but a blood red color. here i grabbed ATF. luckily i found the real bottle of oil and dumped that through before putting my good oil in.

forgotten to tighten lugs.

theres a nice hole in my floorboard where i though my jack under the rear axle.

put the ground in the posi and posi in the ground on my amp when i was like 16 and couldnt figure out why all my fuses on my amp were blowing every time i tried to connect the posi.

working under my car with a lit cigarette.

Vehicles
      95 Jetta VR
      03-06-2012 02:50 AM #125
      decided to try and re-install my tranny in my old 2L. Put the tranny side axels up and tucked them on something so i could get the tranny into place. The axel fell right into my mouth and broke my front tooth in half.
      United States Air Force
      PHILLIES
      Facebook
      Cars

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast