Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2007 Passat 2.0t Wagon, 1991 8v GTi
      01-06-2011 07:08 PM #1
      Hey guys...

I bought a new battery tonight at my local VW dealership and after replacing it in the parking lot I got into my car, started it up, and saw 'Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual'. Seeing as I dont have an owners manual as when I bought it used, it didn't come with one - The car is still driveable but does not shift out of gear and when I go to engage (automatic) Drive, Reverse, or Sport, from the Parked position it makes a hard clunk and small jerk before it engages. The MFD is as if I am still parked because I can access all the comfort sections, and all transmission selections are highlighted. Im not sure if it was in Neutral or Park when I engaged the Parking Brake before I changed the battery so maybe and Im hoping when I took the old battery out, and put the new one in, that something wasnt set correctly when the car started up after having no battery power???

I am curious to know what possible ways I can rectify this. Its sitting in the VW dealership parking lot and Im hoping they will be able to take a look at at it in the morning but of course I wanted to check here. Also, what does it say in the Owners Manual about a Parking Brake Fault??? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,
      Ian

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      01-06-2011 08:19 PM #2
      Probably need the brakes readapted. Low voltage to sensors and such can cause a lot of issues or false issues with VW's.

Vehicles
      13' S5 Coupe 3.0T 6spd APR Stg 2+, 09 VW GTI 2dr, 11 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion SE APR k04, 14 Jetta TDI
      01-07-2011 10:14 AM #3
      all the gears are selected? thats bad. When i had something like that, my steering column control module died...

Hopefully yours is just something simple.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 R32t, 2007 Passat 2.0t Wagon, 1991 8v GTi
      01-07-2011 02:23 PM #4
      well it turned out to be something very simple. apparently when the battery dies and you 'jump' the car, the factory settings need to be reset sometimes. VW called and told me that when they took it in, the ECU had re-learned it itself and apparently that wasn't an issue anymore. I had them take care of a breather valve for me and put a new resistor in for the fan control module (both unrelated to my initial problem) and I should be picking it up this afternoon. I just dont get why when I first had to jump the battery in order to get over to VW that I didnt have this issue... Maybe because I still had enough power for lights and the CD player etc but enough cold crank amp's. Who knows.... Volkswagens....

5. 05-12-2011 06:12 AM #5
      Hello everyone!
      COuld not post a new thread, may be you guys try posting for me? Will appreciate.

Used to have parking brake fault code sometimes. It used to go away itself, reappear and go again.
      Couple days ago I took my car for mileage correction[do not ask why], right before and after everything was working fine. Took my car home and left in garage for two days. And today I wanted to drive it around town and took it out from garage. I noticed the tripometer and clock were reset. After driving half a mile from home a saw it reset again, and after couple of minutes the whole dashboard went off! I took and put back the key couple of times and had the dashboard on but with parking brake fauld code again. And flashing ABS and drifting car symbol on dashboard.
      So I tryed to do resetting as I have read it before on one of forums, as follows:
      - battery disconnect for 10 min.
      - connect battery back
      - put key ON[or star the car??omg dont remember]
      - press brake pedal for 10 sec[or 30 sec??] and press P[electronic parking] button. On that forum lot of people were saying they 've tried and problem's gone, however it brought me many other problems.
      They are:
      dash goes off and fuel, temperature gauges show some strange values, tacho is left showing 900rpm even when I remove the key out. ANd the most unpleasant one is when shifting the gears to R and D the car gives a strange sound like someone is hummering[only once per every shiftin to R or D, no sound or shaking at P or N] the bottom of my car and car shakes to back and forward.
      When I was connecting the - terminal of battery it did some sparking, may be I blew something? But the dash was gome before that, so may be mileage corrector guys messed up something?
      Any help any suggestion??

Vehicles
      Mine: 2010 Passat Hers: 2012 B8 A4
      05-12-2011 08:36 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mazdak View Post
      Hello everyone!
      COuld not post a new thread, may be you guys try posting for me? Will appreciate.

Used to have parking brake fault code sometimes. It used to go away itself, reappear and go again.
      Couple days ago I took my car for mileage correction[do not ask why], right before and after everything was working fine. Took my car home and left in garage for two days. And today I wanted to drive it around town and took it out from garage. I noticed the tripometer and clock were reset. After driving half a mile from home a saw it reset again, and after couple of minutes the whole dashboard went off! I took and put back the key couple of times and had the dashboard on but with parking brake fauld code again. And flashing ABS and drifting car symbol on dashboard.
      So I tryed to do resetting as I have read it before on one of forums, as follows:
      - battery disconnect for 10 min.
      - connect battery back
      - put key ON[or star the car??omg dont remember]
      - press brake pedal for 10 sec[or 30 sec??] and press P[electronic parking] button. On that forum lot of people were saying they 've tried and problem's gone, however it brought me many other problems.
      They are:
      dash goes off and fuel, temperature gauges show some strange values, tacho is left showing 900rpm even when I remove the key out. ANd the most unpleasant one is when shifting the gears to R and D the car gives a strange sound like someone is hummering[only once per every shiftin to R or D, no sound or shaking at P or N] the bottom of my car and car shakes to back and forward.
      When I was connecting the - terminal of battery it did some sparking, may be I blew something? But the dash was gome before that, so may be mileage corrector guys messed up something?
      Any help any suggestion??
      You have 3 new threads...

Try securing your battery terminals and drive the car for a few miles
      Unitronic > APR Switched from APR to UNI and never looking back
      CW '10 Passat 2.0TSI: UNI Stage 2 VMR V705 19x8.5 et45 Podi Boost gauge/pod AWE DV, Turbo Outlet Pipe BSH Boost Tap BillyBoat 3" TBE BFI Stg2 Dogbone/motor mount/trans. mount KW V2 coils Forge Twintake(1st on Passat/CC) JBL W12GTi MKII HEX+CAN vagcom, Podi.ca podi free ship code: NINOSHIP, VMR | Wheels velocitymotoring.com, VolksBHAN in September