Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Had the new Touareg Hybrid Off Road

1. 01-07-2011 01:33 PM #1

It’s safe to say we were the only hybrid on the dusty off-road trails just off California’s Highway 138 near Silverwood Lake. In fact, we were just about the only vehicle at all that day, save for a Ford F-150 that we encountered a couple miles in. The trails out here exist primarily so that the railroads and the gas and electric utilities can access various remote service locations sprinkled throughout the rough hilly terrain that separates the Los Angeles basin from the vast desert of eastern California. In other words, it’s not a place for wimpy vehicles. Luckily, we were in a Volkswagen Touareg...FULL STORY AND GALLERY

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      01-07-2011 08:58 PM #2
      Nice review. Looks like a fun trip! Wish we had more offroad trails like that near my place...

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      01-07-2011 10:24 PM #3
      Dude that's extreme!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GT500 and 2013 C-Max Energi
      01-09-2011 03:43 PM #4
      thank god the water pump didn't go up while you were out there

Vehicles
      2000/VW/Jetta GLX
      01-10-2011 04:17 PM #5
      dont think the price is justified by the mpg gain, although the power gains deff make it sting a little less. id really like to see a tdi hybrid, especialy in the touareg. now that i wouldnt mind dropping 60k on
      ahhhhhh, the sweet smell of show season
      see you at waterfest

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      01-11-2011 01:57 PM #6
      Doesn't the Touareg-TDI net better EPA estimates and costs a bit less all without damage or impact to the environment like the Hybrid?

7. 01-11-2011 02:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TREGinginCO View Post
      Doesn't the Touareg-TDI net better EPA estimates and costs a bit less all without damage or impact to the environment like the Hybrid?
      Yes

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-11-2011 02:46 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TREGinginCO View Post
      I know I've mentioned this to you before, but hybrids have no more impact to the environment than a diesel, or any other type of vehicle for that matter.

The cost argument is valid, and so is the assertion that in highway use a Touareg TDI is going to get a few more MPG at the cost of some performance...but the argument that hybrids are harmful to the environment is poorly informed in the extreme. I'll just copy in my standard response to this sort of assertion:

Most manufacturers will buy back a worn-out hybrid battery pack - Toyota makes a big point of pasting a big sticker with a number you can call on the pack itself. However, instances of a hybrid's battery wearing out are exceedingly few and far between - Toyota reports that not one single Prius of any generation has required a battery replacement for any reason except for accident repairs. (source) And, in the case that one does wear out, neither lithium-ion batteries like the Touareg uses, nor Ni-MH batteries like the Prius uses, are classified as toxic waste by the EPA - so even if they're not remanufactured or salvaged, and they just go straight to the dump, they're not exceptionally harmful. Tossing a few AAs is likely to be more of an environmental problem. (source) And there are numerous organizations dedicated to recycling batteries and other E-waste, so if it's still a concern, they'll take 'em off your hands.

That's not to say that there's not a certain amount of environmental impact tied up in ANY two ton hunk of steel, plastic, rubber, and aluminum, but I don't see any reason to single out hybrids.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 01-11-2011 at 03:01 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

9. 02-10-2011 10:58 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Kilometer Magazine View Post

It’s safe to say we were the only hybrid on the dusty off-road trails just off California’s Highway 138 near Silverwood Lake. In fact, we were just about the only vehicle at all that day, save for a Ford F-150 that we encountered a couple Car parts miles in. The trails out here exist primarily so that the railroads and the gas and electric utilities can access various remote service locations sprinkled throughout the rough hilly terrain that separates the Los Angeles basin from the vast desert of eastern California. In other words, it’s not a place for wimpy vehicles. Luckily, we were in a Volkswagen Touareg...FULL STORY AND GALLERY
      That's pretty awesome dude! Great picture of the car too!