Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2007 Passat with stock Bi-Xenons - bulb replacement

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg
      01-10-2011 05:28 PM #1
      First post here!

I'm trying to confirm the procedure for replacing the stock HID Bi-Xenon bulbs on a 2007 B6 Passat Wolfsberg Edition (over 70k miles currently-now out of warranty)...

I've searched here on VWVortex (and PW forums) a good bit. I'm not finding much info on replacing the stock HID Bi-Xenon bulbs.....most everything is targeted at those changing to an aftermarket HID system and it's installation. Hence my post....

I do have the VAG-COM and Bentley eBahn reader (I 'm mostly self servicing this vehicle). I had turned of the DRLs about a year ago with the VAG-COM.

So...looking at the Bentley it's basically...for my setup......

1-remove bumper grill
      2-remove front fender liner (the forward/front pieces)
      3-remove bumper cover
      4-remove headlight assembly(s) (which now I can replace the stock Bi-Xenon bulbs)

5-the ever so famous 'installation is the reverse of removal'

I've also found several different versions of the bulb (D1S). Sylvania, Hella, etc. on Amazon that are much less than even RockAuto, Autozone, the dealer, etc. But, some have a base on them, and some don't.....

Here is the Hella replacement from Amazon that supposedly fits.....http://amzn.com/B00265FXTA (Hella H83074001 D1S 35W High Intensity Discharge Capsule)

So....my questions...

1-Any confirmation on the procedure, or maybe a shorter work around?

2-Is that the correct bulb (with the base)?

3-What about re-aligning? There's no way I have the official VW roll around tool....

Any and all replies greatly appreciated.
      -stww1fa
      2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition

Vehicles
      07 Passat SP2
      01-10-2011 05:52 PM #2
      Welcome!

That process looks correct, it's what I did. The bulb looks good as well. You need the one with that base. (D1S)

You should look into replacing the HID harness clips as well. I had a shop do mine so I don't know much about them, but after I had my bulbs replaced, they went out again due to the old harness clips. There is a TSB about it. There is a new part # for them.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-10-2011 06:22 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by xturboexpress View Post
      Welcome!

That process looks correct, it's what I did. The bulb looks good as well. You need the one with that base. (D1S)

You should look into replacing the HID harness clips as well. I had a shop do mine so I don't know much about them, but after I had my bulbs replaced, they went out again due to the old harness clips. There is a TSB about it. There is a new part # for them.
      First, Thanks for the reply!

Is this the TSB?

TSB-2007.05.10_headlight_afs_autolevel_inoperative

I had stumbled across it with my earlier searching....but wondered how it may apply to a car that's out of warranty at 70k miles, and only one HID is now working (which may or may not be a bulb out, or may or may not be this TSB issue)?

So, if I end up DIY'ing, basically I'd need the two updated clips, and two bulbs, and half a day to change 2 bulbs (thanks VW! ).
      -stww1fa

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-10-2011 06:31 PM #4
      How did you get a Wolfsburg Edition with Bi-Xenons? You are the first person I've ever seen reference having them on a Wolfsburg.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-10-2011 06:55 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by B6 Passat View Post
      How did you get a Wolfsburg Edition with Bi-Xenons? You are the first person I've ever seen reference having them on a Wolfsburg.
      Ya know.....I'm not sure. I could be wrong on that.....but that's what I thought they were based on what the PO told me. I'll also admit that since this is a family (wife's) car, I don't/haven't looked into every technical detail about it.....like I do with 'my' car and 'my' truck

The short version is I bought it used for the family car (actually our 4th VW though) back in May 2009 with ~30k miles on it. A great deal at the time, but now a bunch of little service items cropping up, which is why I spent the $ on the Bentley e-reader and VAG-COM last year. Not afraid of much with working on a car (even to the point of rebuilding motors/head myself).....but, didn't know about the work possibly required on just changing a bulb on this VW.

How would I absolutely check? And if so....does that change anything procedure wise?

Thanks again for the responses!
      -stww1fa

Vehicles
      '07 Passat Wagon
      01-10-2011 07:12 PM #6
      Check DDM Tuning's website for inexpensive bulbs. Here is a link: DDM Tuning

Also, although I am sure Passat HID headlamps are completely different than my Volvo HID headlamps, here is a link to the installation in my Volvo. It includes many photos of the difference in color temperatures that might be useful to you...
      How-To-change-foglamp-and-headlamp-bulbs.-Tons-of-photos-including-difference-between-OE-and-2500K-5000K-and-6000K.
      '07 Passat wagon 2.0T tiptronic | Deep Black | Taupe leather
      '06 Volvo V70 R Magic Blue | Atacama | 300 bhp, AWD, manual transmission Q-ship.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | Hardtop | 15k miles - garage queen

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-10-2011 07:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by B6 Passat View Post
      OMGosh. So....you have me (and the wife) scrambling to double check what we were 'sold' 1.5 years ago. It's a semi involved story....found on AutoTrader (not an eBay transaction)....bought out of state....had to fly one way to go pick it up.....was very comfortable with the whole deal.....talked via email and phone many times with the PO......but I didn't have time to check 'every' detail when I picked it up and then drive it back 14 hours....

Add in the fact that it's a family/wife daily driver 'non upgrade' car I'd never doubted or double checked.

Found the original window sticker.....absolutely nothing on it about HID at all, not even in the options (different from what I was told!).

So...I'm now holding a Low Beam Phillips H7 12v 55w bulb.

Awfully embarrassed....but glad at the same time!
      -stww1fa

Vehicles
      07 Passat SP2
      01-10-2011 07:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by stww1fa View Post
      First, Thanks for the reply!

Is this the TSB?

TSB-2007.05.10_headlight_afs_autolevel_inoperative

I had stumbled across it with my earlier searching....but wondered how it may apply to a car that's out of warranty at 70k miles, and only one HID is now working (which may or may not be a bulb out, or may or may not be this TSB issue)?

So, if I end up DIY'ing, basically I'd need the two updated clips, and two bulbs, and half a day to change 2 bulbs (thanks VW! ).
      Yep, that's the TSB I was referring to. From what I got out of it, until you have a bulb out they aren't going to cause any issues. The problem they cause is that after you disconnect the harness from the bulbs to replace them and reassemble, the fail in a way that causes the AFS movement to basically unplug the bulb from the harness. Basically, they are just a couple bucks - replace them with the updated part # while your in there so you don't have to take it all apart a second time.

Removing the front bumper is actually pretty easy. I've had mine apart 3 times. The last time to do a ballast only took about 30min for the whole job and buttoned back up.

Vehicles
      07 Passat SP2
      01-10-2011 07:56 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by stww1fa View Post
      OMGosh. So....you have me (and the wife) scrambling to double check what we were 'sold' 1.5 years ago. It's a semi involved story....found on AutoTrader (not an eBay transaction)....bought out of state....had to fly one way to go pick it up.....was very comfortable with the whole deal.....talked via email and phone many times with the PO......but I didn't have time to check 'every' detail when I picked it up and then drive it back 14 hours....

Add in the fact that it's a family/wife daily driver 'non upgrade' car I'd never doubted or double checked.

Found the original window sticker.....absolutely nothing on it about HID at all, not even in the options (different from what I was told!).

So...I'm now holding a Low Beam Phillips H7 12v 55w bulb.

Awfully embarrassed....but glad at the same time!
      All xenon cars are equipped with AFS (bulb movement). When you start the car with the lights on, the lights should do a conductor like movement - down, out, in, up. If you can't really tell the diff between HID and not, or by looking at the light assemby, this would be your sign.

Bixenons look like this:

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-10-2011 08:45 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by xturboexpress View Post
      All xenon cars are equipped with AFS (bulb movement). When you start the car with the lights on, the lights should do a conductor like movement - down, out, in, up. If you can't really tell the diff between HID and not, or by looking at the light assemby, this would be your sign.

Bixenons look like this:

Definitely not what's on ours....

Thoroughly embarrassed (and obviously wrong) here....on several levels. But, that's OK.

I'm more mad at myself with the purchase process now, and the fact that I didn't double check the details I was told. When buying cars for the family (or wife), it's more of a 'necessity' purchase and all that, rather than a 'want' purchase, which is usually a 'research' 'go fast toy' purchase. I did check out all the 'history' on the car and all, but obviously not every 'detail' of amenities included.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again for the quick and accurate info!
      -stww1fa

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-10-2011 09:15 PM #11
      it happens, better you found out now than after you spent money on D1S bulbs...if you want to add an HID kit you will find a million threads here and Passatworld about them. I'd say the majority of the people here have gone with DDM Tuning slim ballast kit. You really can't beat them for the price, $40. Easy install, but it it does need a couple of changes via vag-com to prevent flicker and prolong bulb life.

I recommend the H7 35w/5000K kit

and just an fyi regarding your signiture...it Wolfsburg
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta GLI
      01-21-2011 05:51 PM #12
      Not totally related, but along the same lines.

My daughter's 2007 Jetta GLI has the driver side xenon bulb not working. All wires look connected as far as I can tell, but when the lights come on, the driver side flickers 2 or 3 times, then goes dark. Hard to tell if it is the ballast or the bulb.

Is there a documented step just to remove the HID bulbs easily? I want to swap the passenger side bulb to the driver side bulb to see if it is the bulb as a problem or the ballast (hoping bulb at this point).

If it IS the ballast, is there a good place to get replacement ballasts or do I have to go OEM?

I have HID's on my Avalanche, Audi, and BMW, but haven't messed with the Audi or BMW at this point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I don't want my daughter driving with inadequate lighting!!!