Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Which would you buy... Loaded/modded GTI DSG vs 'base' Golf R 6spd

Voters
    60. You may not vote on this poll
    • Cant do without the DSG... GTI DSG with $ for mods

7 11.67%
    • Are you crazy? The Golf R is the only option to consider...

50 83.33%
    • I don't like either! Give me a...

3 5.00%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded w/ mods DSG GTI or base Golf R?

1. 01-12-2011 07:23 PM #1
      To me the biggest debate is between the loaded GTI with a DSG and money left for mods to make up the HP difference or a base Golf R.

If the R came with the DSG then it would be a no brainer as I am a huge fan of the AWD and the factory power boost. But without the DSG it becomes an issue as to which car I would be happier with long term...

Cast a vote!

2. 01-12-2011 09:32 PM #2
      What is so dumb about the question?
      The GTI can be had with the DSG which even the euro tests on the golf R show make it consistantly quicker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

Add in the money savings and you would have plenty of cash to spend on mods for the GTI which would bridge the 60hp difference. Plus the GTI would have Navi and the R wouldn't. Tell me why this is a dumb question?

To me the R AWD is a HUGE plus. But the price is high for what you get...
      The GTI would be loaded with navi and mods and still cost less... But you don't get the AWD.
      However the GTI can be had with a DSG which really is the point of this poll.

If you could have a LOADED GTI with the DSG and the same power for less money would you take it over a R? Is the AWD worth it?

I guess I am really just ticked we are not getting the DSG R...

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      01-12-2011 09:50 PM #3
      People who are buying the goRf are doing so because it's an AWD hothatch

The GTI you speak of really is not an option for most who are in the market

Get over the DSG thing

Buy an MKV if you need DSG and AWD

Sorry
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

4. 01-12-2011 10:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
      If you could have a LOADED GTI with the DSG and the same power for less money would you take it over a R? Is the AWD worth it?

I guess I am really just ticked we are not getting the DSG R...
      gti is a nice car, i was in my friends a4 today and it felt big and sloppy in comparison. I'm in the same boat and suppose i will wait and test drive. DSG with the vr6 blows, that was not the answer for me

5. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-12-2011 10:20 PM #5
      I cleaned up the thread, and removed some posts. Let's keep it clean and troll free, ok folks?

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      01-12-2011 10:22 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      People who are buying the goRf are doing so because it's an AWD hothatch

The GTI you speak of really is not an option for most who are in the market

Get over the DSG thing

Buy an MKV if you need DSG and AWD

Sorry
      seriously. the whole reason this car is coming here is because it's a manual. they are trying to keep the price low and didnt think the dsg would sell well. just look at the mkv.
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

7. 01-12-2011 10:28 PM #7
      I voted you get a gti cause since you had to ask, the r is not for you.

8. 01-12-2011 10:33 PM #8
      I have to disagree... True the mkv dsg R was a waste. But this new R is a whole different beast. It deserves the DSG tranny just look at what the euro guys are saying about it as posted above. While cost may have been the issue thats not what this thread is about. I would have paid more for a DSG golf R but it isn't going to happen. So is it worth settling for the 6spd R? Right now the poll is 30/70 for the R...

9. 01-12-2011 10:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Motohip View Post
      I voted you get a gti cause since you had to ask, the r is not for you.
      You must not know me... I am a HUGE awd turbo car kinda guy. But I am just debating if the awd is worth losing the DSG...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MKV R32
      01-13-2011 12:20 AM #10
      If I don't go R, I will more than likely not go VW. As of now there is nothing from VW I would buy instead.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      CW MKVI GTI
      01-13-2011 01:17 AM #11
      Guys, the R is not coming with DSG because they can't sell it for $37,500 with the economy the way it is. Maybe if this limited test run works out they will offer the DSG if they do a second run. I too am very annoyed by this since I was in the market for a DSG R. Looks like it's a loaded GTI for me as well. Not a bad second option though!

Vehicles
      MY11 RB Golf R Stage 1 Custome Tune
      01-13-2011 01:49 AM #12
      This is classic, this debate started in Australia a year ago, the die hard MKVI GTI owners were up in arms and hammering on about the bang for buck the GTI had over the R and the R owners and to be owners were sledging the GTI owners about FWD, lack of Xenons and AWD.

The argument still rages with the R having the advantage because on the track it will still eat a GTI and the $ spent on mods will take it way beyond GTI capability.

Though more are coming online there appears to be a beef about the DSG, so for all of those wanting a DSG be careful what you wish for, the turbo lag is far more pronounced than the GTI and it runs up the gears in D far too quickly and holds on far too long in S mode. I think you have to get used to how it works mated to the R Engine. The GTI has no issue as it is a smaller turbo and is a lot more responsive around town whereas the R is a GT cruiser.

The issue with this debate is those that run with the logical debate of value for money will see the GTI as a hands down winner, those with the emotional " just want it" cause it is the best and fastest Golf ever made are prepared to ignore the paper stats for the seat of the pants stats which in the end will win cause both the R owner and the GTI owner will know which one is the best and only one will wish they had the other.

I look forward to reading your experiences as they come on line ( hopefully mine will have arrived by then and we can have a robust debate on the nuances)

This thread I predict will also go for about 180 pages

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG CSG
      01-13-2011 03:24 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by SilvRFoxX View Post
      Though more are coming online there appears to be a beef about the DSG, so for all of those wanting a DSG be careful what you wish for, the turbo lag is far more pronounced than the GTI and it runs up the gears in D far too quickly and holds on far too long in S mode.
      You hit it right on the head. The S mode shift points in the current DSG hangs near redline far too long wasting time, power, and fuel; the shift points are too far out of the power band to be useful. Bring on the manual!

Vehicles
      01-13-2011 03:35 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by randy915 View Post
      You hit it right on the head. The S mode shift points in the current DSG hangs near redline far too long wasting time, power, and fuel; the shift points are too far out of the power band to be useful. Bring on the manual!
      I would suggest that there is some some truth in time and power but not fuel, the whole setup of the gearing is around fuel efficiency.

15. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-13-2011 08:40 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by FreshieMedia View Post
      Maybe if this limited test run works out they will offer the DSG if they do a second run.
      I don't want to be a party pooper, but there is about 0% chance of this happening. We're going to get the one configuration, and that's it.

-Tim

"When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      01-13-2011 09:23 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by randy915 View Post
      I would prefer to have D set up for fuel efficiency, despite what most people like to think the majority of driving is done in traffic or at least in areas when speed and handling don't make a lot of difference. I'm not looking for ultimate performance when going stop light to stop light or slowly moving forward in traffic and when you can get going hit the down paddle once or twice and take off.

For the rest of the time when you can use it, I always use the paddles, then it shifts when you want and ultra quick.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      01-13-2011 09:39 AM #17
      Get the VW.

18. 01-13-2011 10:11 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      I don't want to be a party pooper, but there is about 0% chance of this happening. We're going to get the one configuration, and that's it.

-Tim
      Thats is what I understand as well. So that is the reason for the discussion... I am a VW guy so for some I see going the Subi route or even the BMW route but for me it really is do I want to lose the DSG for the AWD...

19. 01-13-2011 10:14 AM #19
      The argument still rages with the R having the advantage because on the track it will still eat a GTI and the $ spent on mods will take it way beyond GTI capability.

The issue with this debate is those that run with the logical debate of value for money will see the GTI as a hands down winner, those with the emotional " just want it" cause it is the best and fastest Golf ever made are prepared to ignore the paper stats

This thread I predict will also go for about 180 pages
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      Get the VW.
      This ^^^

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      01-13-2011 12:07 PM #20
      Thats is what I understand as well. So that is the reason for the discussion... I am a VW guy so for some I see going the Subi route or even the BMW route but for me it really is do I want to lose the DSG for the AWD...
      Do you normally drive manuals or automatics?

If you normally drive autos then go with the GTI DSG or a 08 R32.

However if you enjoy maual and have driven the exclusively or a majority then pass on the DSG.

I was a early adopter to DSG... I bought one of the first MK5 GTI's on the ground in Feb 2006 and it was DSG.

I was fascinated with the tech and addicted to the fast shifts.

It was my first two pedal car ever.

Months 1-3 were fun... Months 4-6 were getting annoying... Months 6-12 I was looking to trade for a 6MT.

I am not the only one... lots of manual guys fell in love with the tech but grew bored with it over time.

Here is my thread from WAAAAAAY back in the day:

Bored with my DSG

Vehicles
      2002 BMW 330xi
      01-13-2011 12:53 PM #21
      I've thought about this too, mainly b/c I often wonder whether I truly "need" AWD. I live in the mountains of Colorado, but we have a second AWD car so I could probably live with FWD.

If AWD isn't a necessity, you'd rightly consider a GTI.

22. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-13-2011 01:08 PM #22
      I suppose that the answer to that depends on a couple of things:

What are you worried about loosing with the DSG? What do you think you'd gain with the AWD? Finally, how do those two things weigh against each other with you personally?

For me, when it was time to buy my latest car, I knew that I wanted a GTI. At that time, I was coming from a B5 Audi A4 that had a fair amount of work done to it, including a Spec Stg 2 clutch and a lightened flywheel. While that car was fun to drive, the combination of heavy clutch and light flywheel made it annoying and sometimes downright difficult to drive in traffic, and I spend a fair amount of time in traffic. I was really interested in DSG and what it had to offer (the speed of shifts, the feel of shifts and power delivery, and the theroetical extra speed for the car on track and such), and after a couple of test drives, I made my choice, and I bought a DSG GTI.

Now, almost four years on, I still like DSG, it's still nice in traffic, but I think my next car is going to be a 6MT again. This was spurred by a couple of things. One is that while DSG would be my choice for a track car, my car is not a track car, and the extra on track speed from DSG just doesn't get used enough. Secondly, I got to spend a bunch of time in some nice 6MT cars this year - the VWVortex long-term MKVI GTI, the Fourtitude long-term B8 S4, and a TT-RS. All of them were 6MT, and driving them reminded me a) how much I like driving a stick, and b) stock clutches and flywheels are a LOT easier to drive than my old Audi was.

Because of this, my next car, whether it's a Golf R or another GTI or something else, will be a 6MT. That's me, though, and you need to make your own choice, obviously.

-Tim

23. 01-13-2011 01:17 PM #23
      I agree with some of the other posters here....what is most important to you?

This is how I would order them....

1. 6MT
      2. AWD
      3. Performance
      4. Cost
      5. VW brand
      6. ROI on mods
      7. Exclusivity

With this order it is clearly the R. If your order is different then maybe a GTI is better for you.

P.S. I am also comparing to other cars as well.

Vehicles
      01-13-2011 04:34 PM #24
      Wait till you drive the R, the decision will have no logic or formula attached.. bit like buying a Ferrari ( please do not construe the statement with a comparison of VW Golf to a Ferrari just a thought process)

Vehicles
      96 JETTA, 06 GLI, 06 JETTA 2.5, 07 4DR GTI, 07 TOUAREG. 07 RABBIT 4DR, 08 R32, 08 audi A3
      01-13-2011 08:20 PM #25
      You don't buy the Golf R with common sense, you buy it with emotion.

Vehicles
      98 AUDI A4 1.8TQM
      01-13-2011 08:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 liter weedeater T View Post
      You don't buy the Golf R with common sense, you buy it with emotion.

OMG i think I'm going to cry.... that was so beautiful it like express how i feel inside when ever vw anounces something new about the golf r... i think when i finally see my R I'm going to drop a deuce

please god don't let that happen
      “A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”

Vehicles
      01-13-2011 09:13 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Trict GTi View Post
      OMG i think I'm going to cry.... that was so beautiful it like express how i feel inside when ever vw anounces something new about the golf r... i think when i finally see my R I'm going to drop a deuce

naa don't do that, you would mess up the interior.. drool

Vehicles
      98 AUDI A4 1.8TQM
      01-13-2011 09:23 PM #28
      naa don't do that, you would mess up the interior.. drool

LOL true I'll wear a diaper lol HHAHAHAH love the pic minus the DSG LOL

Vehicles
      01-13-2011 09:36 PM #29
      well it is Leather or cloth.. I like the cloth

And Rising Blue just makes it pop

Vehicles
      98 AUDI A4 1.8TQM
      01-13-2011 09:39 PM #30
      well it is Leather or cloth.. I like the cloth

And Rising Blue just makes it pop

WAIT HUH? i thought it was leather only?!?!?!? or amy i wrong?

Vehicles
      01-13-2011 09:44 PM #31
      Not sure what is is for the USA, here in OZ cloth is standard and you can upgrade to leather or the Recaro racing seats. The leather is heated and you can get a memory option.

Same way that DSG is an option but the base is a 6MT. You guys seem to have packages in cars, we have a base and then you start ticking the option boxes. The value proposition is always how much comes in the base for the base price before delivery and options

32. 01-13-2011 10:38 PM #32
      Correct me if I'm wrong but ours are simply loaded with navigation being the only option?

6spd only
      Leather only
      Climatronic only
      HID only

Maybe the electronic shocks are also optional?

33. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-13-2011 11:20 PM #33
      Correct me if I'm wrong but ours are simply loaded with navigation being the only option?

6spd only
      Leather only
      Climatronic only
      HID only

Maybe the electronic shocks are also optional?

All of our cars will have leather, with the "top sport" seats. All will have climatronic, 6MT, and HIDs. The only options will be a package that will have a sunroof, RNS310 navigation, and KESSY keyless entry and start.

We will not get the electronic shocks.

-Tim

34. 01-14-2011 06:57 AM #34
      My friend has a Mk6 GTI, I have the R.

GTI is a better car. Add LSD and a tune and it will be just as fast, but lighter and handle better. The R has stone age engine while the GTI has a next gen one with a lot less lag. The R will drive you mad around town with the lag.

So take it from the R owner... get the GTI.

Vehicles
      96 JETTA, 06 GLI, 06 JETTA 2.5, 07 4DR GTI, 07 TOUAREG. 07 RABBIT 4DR, 08 R32, 08 audi A3
      01-14-2011 01:34 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Trict GTi View Post

See finally, someone that gets it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast