Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Color Nook is the best Android Tablet today

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      01-13-2011 11:31 PM #1

Samsung Galaxy Tablet (left) and B&N Color Nook (right)

I've tried out several Android tablets, hated them all. None of them had the right balance and properly executed designs.

I found the B&N Color Nook the best Android tablet. The device is locked to the Nook's software as the launcher but once it is rooted, you are granted near full access.

It is currently running Eclair or Android 2.1, but Froyo update should be arriving anytime soon.

Pros:

+ Quality materials, non-slip rubber back face. Front frame has a Metal finish has a solid finish.

+ Excellent non-glossy LG Vividview LCD with IPS technology. Imo, it is sharper than the iPad but not as bright. Color reproduction is excellent, perfect for magazine viewing.

+ Good size and weight, 7" and 16 ounces only! very good size for book reading. I have to admit the 9.7" iPad is not ideal for book reading over long durations. I can hold the Nook with one hand for hours.

+ Battery Life is amazing on this device, undoubtedly the lack of mobile antenna help save battery. On a full charge, I can use the device for 2-3 days without charging.

- Requires rooting to unlock the device from the Nook Software.
      - Even after rooting, you cannot run apps from SD Card, Froyo will fix that.
      - No Flash, need Froyo.
      - No Bluetooth
      - WiFi only, need a hotspot if you're outside.

Currently I have ADW Launcher as the Home screen, have the Kindle App, Market, and tons of my fav Android apps running great with just a 800mhz CPU.

This is my favorite reading tablet, while the iPad is still the best at doing just about everything except long text reading.

At $249 it is also cheap, why would anyone pay $500 for the Samsung Tablet with a bad glossy screen. Just carry your smartphone and turn on Wifi hotspot to enjoy using the Color Nook outside.

Non-slip rubberized backside.
      Last edited by Vision33r; 01-13-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 A4 P+ (Hers)
      01-14-2011 10:18 AM #2
      I wouldn't want to replace the classic Nook with the NookColor as my eReader, but where it falls down as a dedicated eReader vs something like a Nook or Kindle it stands right back up as a super cheap tablet once you hack it and competes with that "tablet as a consumption device" bracket quite well as you've shown.

XDAs got Ubuntu working on it now too, although the install is a bit complicated for your average user to undertake and some people take issue with the choice of window manager. I think that's very cool as that makes it break the line between the "tablet for consumption" bracket (iPad, Android, etc - the "mobile os" tablets) and "tablet for creation" (Windows, full-on Linux - the full desktop OS tablets) at a price point that nobody right now is able to beat.

From an appearance standpoint I think that the NookColor is a great looking piece of hardware too, for whatever that's worth.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-14-2011 11:30 AM #3
      So you're saying I can get a nookColor and...

• Still keep it as an ereader
      • Check email
      • Listen to music
      • Surf the web
      • Use any other app available on Android market (Final Fantasy Tactics via psx emu?!)

... and be satisfied it's not being done on a 4" phone screen?

Consider me sold.
      Misanthrope extraordinaire

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-14-2011 12:09 PM #4
      For once I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with Vision33r.

Yesterday my co-workers gave me a nook color as a going away present and I auto-nootered this morning, this thing is sooo badass.

You can:

Auto-Nooter - root and install missing android systems/apps including marketplace
      Full root - install Froyo (just stable in the past few days)
      Install Ubuntu

With the Froyo root you can even run the Froyo image off of an mini sd card if you just want to try it out before you install it.

The screen is gorgeous, vibrant and super sharp, it's a good size and it's only $250!

There are rumors that there might be a bluetooth chip built in, if so it won't be long before you can VoIP with it too.

As for the screen brightness- I don't know how bright the iPad gets but I have to leave my nook on the lowest brightness setting, otherwise it's way too bright.
      Last edited by Hostile; 01-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      01-14-2011 03:45 PM #5
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      01-14-2011 05:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      running great with just a 800mhz CPU.
      You should bump that thing to 950mhz:

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/14/nook...ked-to-950mhz/
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

01-14-2011 05:30 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GSTGuy View Post
      So you're saying I can get a nookColor and...

• Still keep it as an ereader
      • Check email
      • Listen to music
      • Surf the web
      • Use any other app available on Android market (Final Fantasy Tactics via psx emu?!)

... and be satisfied it's not being done on a 4" phone screen?

Consider me sold.
      x2
      PSN:Jae304

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      01-14-2011 05:46 PM #8
      There is also a Froyo build out. It doesn't all work, but 90% of it does.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      SVO
      01-14-2011 06:04 PM #9
      It is currently running Eclair or Android 2.1, but Froyo update should be arriving anytime soon.
      Are you saying that an official Froyo update is expected? Why? They're selling the device as a reader, so what incentive is there to update the entire OS? Froyo is a big performance bump, but surely Eclair can handle the core Nook features just fine...right?
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      01-14-2011 07:32 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Are you saying that an official Froyo update is expected? Why? They're selling the device as a reader, so what incentive is there to update the entire OS? Froyo is a big performance bump, but surely Eclair can handle the core Nook features just fine...right?
      Official Froyo update is coming at the end of this month. I'm not gonna waste my time using custom Froyo builds that are not based on OEM build, always issues.

My experience is always wait for custom builds based off official builds.

01-14-2011 08:40 PM #11
      This just pushed me over the edge, the wife is now getting a nook color for her b-day.
      If you love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high sided

Vehicles
      '09 E90 M3
      01-15-2011 01:12 AM #12
      I can't say I'm up on tablets at all because I never seriously considered one, but at $250, this thing is a genuine bargain. The Galaxy Tab is truly pathetic, made even more irrelevant by a device with far more functionality for 50% of the cost.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-15-2011 08:10 AM #13
      Im wondering if B&N know they have a hit on their hands with the general tablet community.

I've had my book color for a few days now and i can't get enough if it. Hell, im posting from it right now in the can with the dolphin hd browser.

Vehicles
      SVO
      01-15-2011 03:17 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Im wondering if B&N know they have a hit on their hands with the general tablet community.
      If they do, they probably don't like it. I doubt they make any profit with the reader device itself, so they are counting on book sales. People who root probably aren't using the B&N bookstore anymore, or at least, not as much.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

15. Member
      01-15-2011 06:35 PM #15
      Albiet that this is a book reader first before a droid tablet, does it have a usb port, and camera?
      I know it has the Micro SDHC port which is very good but I think the other two would make it perfect.

16. 01-15-2011 08:31 PM #16
      is there anyway to un-root and restore back to factory?

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-15-2011 08:41 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
      Albiet that this is a book reader first before a droid tablet, does it have a usb port, and camera?
      I know it has the Micro SDHC port which is very good but I think the other two would make it perfect.
      It has a micro usb port for pc/mac data transfer and charging.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-15-2011 08:43 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by HuDuVuDu View Post
      is there anyway to un-root and restore back to factory?
      Yup, you can factory reset.

19. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      01-15-2011 11:43 PM #19
      If they do, they probably don't like it. I doubt they make any profit with the reader device itself, so they are counting on book sales. People who root probably aren't using the B&N bookstore anymore, or at least, not as much.
      It's investors' money not theirs. They've been in the red and borrowing money to stay afloat for over a decade. They just recently won new financing after the Nook Color became their hottest seller.

I love holding the Nook Color next to a Kindle owner, the smell of interest or jealousy is epic.

It's almost as thin and light as the Kindle but has wonderful color and I'm also running the Kindle software and looks great in color.

Vehicles
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 2006 A4 2.0T Q S-Line 6MT, 98 K1200RS
      01-16-2011 09:38 PM #20
      Eclair and Froyo are designed for 4" smart phone screens.
      Stretching them out to 7" or 10" is not the proper way to build a tablet.
      Granted the Color nook is a nice piece of hardware, the overall finished product is slightly lacking.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-16-2011 11:34 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by reticulan View Post
      Eclair and Froyo are designed for 4" smart phone screens.
      Stretching them out to 7" or 10" is not the proper way to build a tablet.
      Granted the Color nook is a nice piece of hardware, the overall finished product is slightly lacking.
      What? I have yet to come across a problem with the OS being "stretched out".

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-17-2011 10:55 AM #22
      So I bought one Friday night, and the thing really delivers. As my first foray into the "tablet" world (yeah it's a faux one, but it does everything I'd expect one to do pretty much), I'm really enjoying it. Hacking it couldn't have been simpler, but I still need to read up on installing / reinstalling apps and such (YouTube won't work, and I don't know root commands / didn't buy Root Explorer).

I'm still playing and seeing if I really want to keep it passed the honeymoon phase. My only real complaints are that the speaker is lame, no bluetooth (for VoIP purposes, though I guess I could use a wired headset if that really mattered), reading in the dark at lowest brightness the screen still seems too bright, and there is a good amount of glare for reading during the day. A minor issue for me is that it seems touch buttons in the corners of the screen do not respond right / have to be pressed in a certain way (Android Marketplace search button, engadget drop down menu button come to mind).

Other than that, the screen is amazingly clear, the software is responsive, and the thing just works well considering it wasn't meant to be much beyond a digital book shelf. I'd like a bit longer battery life, but perhaps I've just been playing with it too much.
      Misanthrope extraordinaire

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      01-17-2011 11:17 AM #23
      I believe is has bluetooth capabilities in there somewhere, but they haven't managed to unlock it yet.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      97 Olds 88
      01-17-2011 12:41 PM #24
      I really want one these now. Are there any updates in the near term that would be worth while to wait for? I know 2.2 is coming out soon, but that could be updated later if I was to purchase now. Also, any problems after doing the auto nooter?

Also, how is media on it, can I play movies from the micro sd card?
      - Muzo

Rally WRC | BTCC Racing.com - Works in progress

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      01-18-2011 10:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      I believe is has bluetooth capabilities in there somewhere, but they haven't managed to unlock it yet.
      It does - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897934

26. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      01-28-2011 10:45 PM #26
      http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/28/n...roid-3-0-hone/

Honeycomb on Nook Color. Sweeeet.

Vehicles
      01-28-2011 11:57 PM #27

Honeycomb relies heavily on pc memory (DDR2 RAM). Porting it over to these 2.1 and 2.2 devices makes it very unstable, and your basically wasting your time. There will always be those programmers that do it, just for the sake of doing it. Which is honorable, but a waste of time. Leave it to the pro's.

01-30-2011 06:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by reticulan View Post
      Honeycomb relies heavily on pc memory (DDR2 RAM). Porting it over to these 2.1 and 2.2 devices makes it very unstable, and your basically wasting your time. There will always be those programmers that do it, just for the sake of doing it. Which is honorable, but a waste of time. Leave it to the pro's.
      You keep bringing up all the negative about the hardware/ software how impossible it is to run this or that and XDA keeps proving you wrong
      I'm picking up a NC soon

29. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      01-31-2011 12:57 PM #29
      What he says has some truth in it because Google wants the Tablet experience to be great they want to discourage people from trying to get Honeycomb on last year's devices.

Honeycomb will run on many existing devices but that doesn't mean it will run Honeycomb optimized apps well.

I'm hoping that Honeycomb and general apps will run well on NC and that's about it.

Vehicles
      08' Jetta
      01-31-2011 01:34 PM #30
      got my wife one of these for christmas, took me about a week to convince her to let me "autonooter" it and get it rooted. for being android 2.1, this thing sure is quick. although the eclair and Froyo resolutions are for 480x854 max, the screen still looks very crisp and bright, nothing i have used on the device is stretched out or anything. you just get to see more of everything, and isn't that the point of a tablet.

this is probably the best $250 i have spent on any new product. not only do you get a great e-reader, you get a pretty sweet tablet as well.

i personally cannot wait to try honeycomb on this thing, wether the device be optimized for it or not.

Vehicles
      01-31-2011 07:07 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotion View Post
      You keep bringing up all the negative about the hardware/ software how impossible it is to run this or that and XDA keeps proving you wrong
      I'm picking up a NC soon

Funny, I don't ever remember mentioning that anything was impossible. I suspect that you post sometimes just for the sake of hearing yourself talk. And I can assure you that I have been an active member of XDA long before you even owned a smartphone.

01-31-2011 08:48 PM #32
      Got one for my wife yesterday after calling around. I had ordered it online, but they pushed back the ship date twice and I canceled. They were saying it may ship by Feb. 28. That is a full month after the first ship date I was given and I wanted her to have it for a trip mid Feb.

I let her play around with it for a bit, but rooted it easily after that. I have it set up so all the stock stuff is there for her, but all the android stuff is easy to get to. Really great product for the money. I love that the developers are going crazy with that thing.
      If you love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high sided

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      02-01-2011 08:55 AM #33
      The Honeycomb port is out for download. Most is working, but sound, for example, is not.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

34. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      02-01-2011 12:11 PM #34
      This port came from the emulator so it's not exactly a clean port, pretty amazing still. Shows how good the community is around this device while devices like the Galaxy Tab may not even see 2.3 at all and Samsung just admitted that they've only shipped 2million and not sold.

Vehicles
      337.sold 2.slow
      02-07-2011 01:31 PM #35
      do you have a compariosn to the viewsonic g tab
      CTS 3076 kit, CTS 750hp FMIC, CM FX400, 2L, AEB, RMR IM, Raxles, Eurodyne, 870's...

Vag Scans, pm me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast