VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

****New *AND* long time users: READ THIS BEFORE YOUR NEXT POST, Please.****

115K views 128 replies 53 participants last post by  BHB 
#1 ·
Folks,

It seems like every 2 years or so, a thread like this is needed.

It has come to our attention that there has been a lot of "noob bashing" and other general mayhem going on in here.

I would like to point out a few things, for your consideration.

1) ALL OF US were new at one point in time. Yes, it is annoying when new users join and ask questions about what exhaust to put on their car, but please keep the following in mind when replying to these types of threads:
a) automotive products change all the time, and sometimes new threads help uncover ideas that were not around a few years ago.

b) The Mk3 is pushing its 20th birthday. If we were to lock every question as a "repost", there would be zero discussion in this forum.

c) Posting thinks like "OMFG SEARCH YOU IDIOT", while not only earning you an infraction, also turn users away from our forums, which is a detriment to our entire community.

2) This forum has a set of rules, which you all agreed to when you joined. Please take a minute to remind yourselves of these rues, by clicking on the "FAQ" button, at the top right of the forum, of by clicking here.

3) This post is meant to advise all of our useers of the policies of this forum. If you're skimming, stop it, and read this:
a) Posing in a "noob thread" ANYTHING OTHER THAN ANSWERING THEIR QUESTION will cause you receive an infraction.

b) If you see such a thread, please report it to a moderator, and WE will decide if it needs to be locked.

c) Moderators have the sole discretion on if a thread should be locked or not. If a thread happens to be a repost, and we continue to let it run - for the sake of good discussion - do not fret - its our decision.

d) Making pointless posts, just for kicks, is also not allowed here. These type of threads will be immediately locked and an infraction given. Please think before posting.​

4) Please be advised that this thread serves as your warning. This is a zero tolerance issue. There are no more warnings, and too many infractions may result in not being able to participate in our forums.

5) Finally, if you have any issue with this, please feel free to post in this thread, or PM me personally for additional explanation.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, guys.

Best,
Brad and the Mk3 moderating team.

See less See more
#49 ·
Infraction system:
Every infraction has points that "go away" (usually in a day) but the infraction itself (and reason) is kept forever with that username. Everything can be moved to new usernames as well.

It resolves the old system where it was never a "get your points back" deal. I think this system works better for everyone.

As for the DIY/FAQ: the format is excellent and is in line with all other forums. It's the links that are broken and pics that original posters have stopped hosting that are the problem.
Some links within the FAQ never made the transition and need some attention.

No FAQ created by a non moderator can be stickied. So if you guys want to help, great. Help fix broken links, compile them, then get them to the mods and we will edit the FAQ.

iPhone

#51 ·
Infraction system:
Every infraction has points that "go away" (usually in a day) but the infraction itself (and reason) is kept forever with that username. Everything can be moved to new usernames as well.

It resolves the old system where it was never a "get your points back" deal. I think this system works better for everyone.
To elaborate:

There is no "3 strikes and your out". We use infractions to track users with repeating issues.

I will not comment on the exact number, but too many infractions and a user is banned. Its also worth noting, however, that bans are not automated and need to be authorized by an administrator. Moderators cannot ban or restrict users - so there is some oversight there.

We also rarely ban users without a warning. If you're close to a ban, you'll know about it.

Feel free to pm with more questions.

Brad.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
thanks for the clarification guys

like I said to thank you and keep up the good work:thumbup::thumbup:

#50 ·
To elaborate:

There is no "3 strikes and your out". We use infractions to track users with repeating issues.

I will not comment on the exact number, but too many infractions and a user is banned. Its also worth noting, however, that bans are not automated and need to be authorized by an administrator. Moderators cannot ban or restrict users - so there is some oversight there.

We also rarely ban users without a warning. If you're close to a ban, you'll know about it.

Feel free to pm with more questions.

Brad.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

#52 ·
So the next time I see a thread entitled " Rimz on my 98 Gti" with a link to some crappy multi lug junk wheels, you're saying that I should report it instead of flaming?

#69 ·
I agree that the stance thread was locked due to a few people constantly derailing the thread. Had i read this thread before the stance thread was locked, i would have reported some to save one of the best threads in this part of the forums. Unfortunately, i suppose that was the last straw for you guys so i understand the lock. Just an unfortunate situation where a few people ruined things to try and "be tough".

Good luck with the cleanup, i hope it works.

#70 ·
I completely understand the zero tolerance plan and giving out infractions to those who like to flame and what not. Maybe even ban a few of them for being extreme a**holes. I guess zero tolerance doesn't come into play on the stance thread. Instead of taking down BS posts and giving infractions it got locked. Thanks mk3 mod team. :thumbup:

#71 ·
It was a long time coming. They've warned people in that thread endless times. Someone even mentioned it will get locked if they kept it up on the last people. Don't get mad at the person who locked it, get mad at the people who caused it to get locked.

#78 ·
i gotta say i like the tex's raunchy humor and smackdowns, sometimes that is. other times its not so funny and people get hurt or embittered. then crap like this happens because things get out of control. but i will miss the smart ass remarks and the creative silliness that gives this place character. but i wont miss those who take it to a level it should not be.

#79 ·
Guys,

Do you want that stance thread cleaned up and re-opened?

Let me know. But there will be stipulations.

You guys will be held strictly accountable for reporting any shenanigans.

Contrary to the popular belief here, it is not the moderators job to consistently edit threads. When it becomes evident that nothing will change in a thread we lock it.

But some of you are asking that it be reopened.

What say you?

iPhone

#82 · (Edited)
i sent a message to u nater saying the same thing

i understand there are rules and i know i have a small history hear, but i follow the rules. i just see it as unfair to the individuals like myself who respect this fourm to get a lockout on such a popular thread. which i think brings a lot of users to this fourm everyday. i just feel that actions should be taken against individuals and not the entire community. this is just from my experience from other fourms. and how they handle things. if u will rely on members like myself to report abuse of the fourm. if thats what it takes.
yes bring back the stance thread.
and i am glad that moderators are trying to keep this fourm clean cause its been heading the wrong way.

#83 ·
Yeah im on here almost all day due to only working part time. I can see why their doing this, there is alot of people on here that need to change their ways about posting on someone else's thread. Were on here to talk about Volkswagen, and like the moderators have said, there is another forum for random non related stuff. I can understand a little bit of noob insulting, but their just looking for help so they can someday be where some of us are with knowledge :thumbup: ill gladly give out advice to noobs all day

#85 ·
Why not just simply ban the idiots that are causing the threads to get locked? Like mentioned above, the people that follow the rules have to deal with the consequences of these idiots :thumbdown:

#93 ·
Because they will just come back with a new username. And those who are the trouble makers know exactly what they're doing. Sadly this place won't change. There are people in here that don't give a crap and will continue to bring it down. No amount of reporting is gonna help. And even after the lock, threads still popped up mocking the Mod's for closing the Stance thread. People are looking in from other forums here laughing at the mk3 forum right now. Some of you guys are a joke and until you realize it, the sooner this forum can get back to the old days.

Good luck to all. :thumbup:

#87 ·
like someone said above if i would have known i was supposed to report posts i would have. after spending many hours adding pictures in the stance thread, i would like to see it reopened and i will do my part to help:thumbup:

#88 ·
Guys, not singling anyone in particular out, because I have had this said to my by multiple people, but reporting posts isn't a secret on here. In fact, it's clearly outlined in the forum rules about it...

from the FAQ link on the top of this page said:
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged use the “Report This Post to a Moderator” button. VWvortex has the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if determined that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.