Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ****New *AND* long time users: READ THIS BEFORE YOUR NEXT POST, Please.****

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      01-15-2011 10:30 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by mkIIIVDUB View Post
      Perhaps making new users wait a month before creating a thread to ensure they searched and are somewhat familiar with the site layout and rules could be an easier option.
      The mustang forum i belong to does this. I believe you only wait a week, but during that long week of waiting to post you have time to get familiar with the forum.
      DIY harlequin
      VRT partout
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

Vehicles
      nothing worth mentioning
      01-15-2011 10:38 AM #37
      I'm fairly new to this site, and there are a few things I've noticed. Seems to me like everyone around here just wants to have some fun. A gif here, some sarcasm there. Most of the time, its all in good fun. Even from day 1, I can honestly say I've never been flamed, my posts don't get bashed, and the few threads I have made, weren't gif'd to the point of being locked. Why is this? Because I used my brain before I posted. I'm all for having fun, I'm all for poking fun at people without being overly hurtful. Sometimes it gets out of hand, but I can see where the vets are coming from. Seeing the same thread 5 times a day, its not even a matter of searching, its just a matter of going "hmm, maybe I should see whats on page 2." Seems to me that some people just need to sit back, take a deep breath, and see what all this forum has to offer.
      Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
      location says, NWO,.. what is that, new world order? are you a rockerfeller?
      Quote Originally Posted by DeathLens View Post
      I managed to destroy the car in 2 days...wait, did I say destroy? I meant make it awesome.

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      01-15-2011 12:19 PM #38
      Kudo's to trying to make this forum a better place. It sucks having someone PM you because they don't feel like dealing with some of the people in here. Even though i haven't owned a mk3 in years, i still come here to see if any of the new guys need help.

The biggest problem with this forum and most here on Vortex is this "Bad ass" internet persona. People feel the need to be someone they're not because it makes them look cool (in their eye's) when it's actually hurting the forum. Some will also say "It's just the internet" when they thenselves know it's more then that. I've been a member for almost 11 yrs and all of that has been in the mk2 forum and that forum is my home. And just like any other home, you have to get along with the people in it. You also take pride because you've been in the house longer then most.

You guys should sit back and look at the forum. It takes Tdogg and other mods to watch you guys like baby's. Whats crazy is that there are some long time mk3 vet's here that aren't doing anything. You don't need to be a mod to post a thread like this. I'm sure Tdogg wouldn't lock it. I've posted threads like this in the mk2 forum just to remind the guys (both old & new) of the rules, written & unwritten. I guess if you act like baby's, you get treated like one.

And please be open minded. Not everyone is into "Stance" and uber rare wheels. Some are actually into good ol' fashion horsepower. ..

Kudo's to Tdogg. This forum needs you ...BTW did i read this right..."Stink on poo"?
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife
      Kicks...Clothes...Cars...Ho's...THINGS I DO BEST!

4. 01-15-2011 01:43 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post

The biggest problem with this forum and most here on Vortex is this "Bad ass" internet persona. People feel the need to be someone they're not because it makes them look cool (in their eye's) when it's actually hurting the forum.
      And the simple solution to posts from people like this is to report their post. The little triangle with the exclamation point in it. Just report the post, and we'll take care of it.

Vehicles
      '94 Jetta 2.0 16v
      01-15-2011 02:09 PM #40
      I hope this helps.
      Pro Patria

Making power, 4 valves at a time.
      MkIII 16v Club.

Vehicles
      B5.5 Avant,B7 Passat
      01-15-2011 02:16 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
      And the simple solution to posts from people like this is to report their post. The little triangle with the exclamation point in it. Just report the post, and we'll take care of it.
      FYI I have reported posts in other forms that never got addressed. Mods in those forums must have just sucked.
      broke.status
      OSD
      NEK

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      01-15-2011 02:20 PM #42
      You're already on top of things. there's no need. I've never used that button BTW. I rather kindly ask the person not to do it weather in a PM or the post. I think the older reg's have a duty to make their forum a better place. You've been trying to make this a better place long before you became Mod or else they wouldn't have chosen you. Everybody has a part in making this forum and others like it better.
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      01-15-2011 02:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by thewhitsnpt View Post
      FYI I have reported posts in other forms that never got addressed. Mods in those forums must have just sucked.
      I've heard this too.

BTW, we got Andrew McD. for a new Mod in the mk2 forum.

9. 01-15-2011 02:35 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      You're already on top of things. there's no need. I've never used that button BTW. I rather kindly ask the person not to do it weather in a PM or the post. I think the older reg's have a duty to make their forum a better place. You've been trying to make this a better place long before you became Mod or else they wouldn't have chosen you. Everybody has a part in making this forum and others like it better.

But I have a life outside this place. I encourage people to report posts.

Don't worry, I see every post that gets reported. And if I dont get to it, someone else will get to it.

10. Banned
      Vehicles
      Jettas.. Dodge Cummins, 1985 Trans Am,
      01-15-2011 02:50 PM #45
      THIS.Photobucket

Posting something like this will earn you an infraction. Totally unnecessary. It's not contributing anything and isnt helping anyone.
      Sorry... it was my sad attempt to moderate a previously unmoderated forum.
      Great thought and consideration goes into awarding the Bag. It is not random.
      It's slung at only the hardened, repeat offenders, and is intended to do as you are now doing.
      Actually, I doubt it's effectiveness... (I hope that was the proper homonym)

Viva La Vortex

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      01-15-2011 05:17 PM #46
      The goal here is to enforce rules but allow freedom to have fun too. We will not be locking borderline threads here. If people can get along then these pic threads and such are more than welcome. Just show respect for all.

iPhone

Vehicles
      97 GTi VR6
      01-15-2011 05:40 PM #47
      i've moderated on other forums before but nothing this large so forgive ignorance on this..

if we report posts will that jeopardize the entire thread or im guessing you guys can just yank problem posts(the stance thread is a good example of this right now) 290-300 page thread that would suck to have locked because people are pms'ing that there is snow on the ground and they can't drive their junk

what is the whole 'infraction' thing? three strikes and you're out? of just the mk3 forum or vortex in general? I don't plan on abusing this but would be good to get it out there to cover the people that travis and the other moderators have talked to via pm or just so that its clear cut..telling me that im going to get an 'infraction' doesn't really tell me what that is

this place has turned around substantially in the past couple weeks. You guys are busting your asses to encourage positivity towards the n00bs and keeping the drama/bs to a minimum. Please keep up the good work and continue with the way you have this rolling. These cars are 20 years old yes but we are all still driving them for a reason

Thank you for doing what you do
      Jim- Owner of rustisnotacrime.com Like us on FB!
      Admin on Rival House. Like us on FB!
      SE Auto

Vehicles
      8v
      01-15-2011 05:49 PM #48
      I've been working on re-doing the MKIII DIY. I need to revive my Microsoft Werd so I can complete it. Not that you have to totally delete the old one, but yah. Complete with lists of parts websites (maintenance and aftermarket).
      VWfiends

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 06:57 PM #49
      Infraction system:
      Every infraction has points that "go away" (usually in a day) but the infraction itself (and reason) is kept forever with that username. Everything can be moved to new usernames as well.

It resolves the old system where it was never a "get your points back" deal. I think this system works better for everyone.

As for the DIY/FAQ: the format is excellent and is in line with all other forums. It's the links that are broken and pics that original posters have stopped hosting that are the problem.
      Some links within the FAQ never made the transition and need some attention.

No FAQ created by a non moderator can be stickied. So if you guys want to help, great. Help fix broken links, compile them, then get them to the mods and we will edit the FAQ.

iPhone

Vehicles
      '11 Grand Cherokee
      01-15-2011 07:10 PM #50
      To elaborate:

There is no "3 strikes and your out". We use infractions to track users with repeating issues.

I will not comment on the exact number, but too many infractions and a user is banned. Its also worth noting, however, that bans are not automated and need to be authorized by an administrator. Moderators cannot ban or restrict users - so there is some oversight there.

We also rarely ban users without a warning. If you're close to a ban, you'll know about it.

Feel free to pm with more questions.

Brad.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
      Current: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 2013 BMW 650GS Sertao, BMW 1150RT
      Gone: 2010 Audi S4; 2008 GTI; 2007 Audi A6; 2004 Audi allroad 2.7T; 2001 Audi A6 2.7T; 1999.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6; 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4

Vehicles
      97 GTi VR6
      01-15-2011 07:35 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      Infraction system:
      Every infraction has points that "go away" (usually in a day) but the infraction itself (and reason) is kept forever with that username. Everything can be moved to new usernames as well.

It resolves the old system where it was never a "get your points back" deal. I think this system works better for everyone.
      Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
      To elaborate:

There is no "3 strikes and your out". We use infractions to track users with repeating issues.

I will not comment on the exact number, but too many infractions and a user is banned. Its also worth noting, however, that bans are not automated and need to be authorized by an administrator. Moderators cannot ban or restrict users - so there is some oversight there.

We also rarely ban users without a warning. If you're close to a ban, you'll know about it.

Feel free to pm with more questions.

Brad.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
      thanks for the clarification guys

like I said to thank you and keep up the good work
      Jim- Owner of rustisnotacrime.com Like us on FB!
      Admin on Rival House. Like us on FB!
      SE Auto

Vehicles
      91 aba jetta, 89 gmc shortbed, 82 GPz550
      01-15-2011 07:58 PM #52
      So the next time I see a thread entitled " Rimz on my 98 Gti" with a link to some crappy multi lug junk wheels, you're saying that I should report it instead of flaming?
      I'd love to kick your poodle. I'd love to slig your cat. I'll bust your yanni cds with a baseball bat. I'd send your fat-mouth mama sailing like the flying nun. I'd like to shoot you in the a$$ with a bb gun.

Vehicles
      '11 Grand Cherokee
      01-15-2011 08:01 PM #53
      Well ... report it if its off topic. If its actually about "rimz" on a 98 GTI, then it seems like its on topic for the forum. If thats the case, ignore it rather than flaming.

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 08:39 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by dillweed983 View Post
      So the next time I see a thread entitled " Rimz on my 98 Gti" with a link to some crappy multi lug junk wheels, you're saying that I should report it instead of flaming?
      Usually option A will be better than option B if option B is "flaming". Flaming is against the rules and will get you banned if you do it continually. So yes, report "instead of flaming".

Vehicles
      nothing worth mentioning
      01-15-2011 09:09 PM #55
      From now on, posts in threads will simply be deleted and a warning/infraction given instead. :
      sooooo i guess this went out the window already since the stance thread got locked eh....
      I managed to destroy the car in 2 days...wait, did I say destroy? I meant make it awesome.

21. 01-15-2011 09:17 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by VW-G View Post
      sooooo i guess this went out the window already since the stance thread got locked eh....
      I'll let Nater field this one.

Vehicles
      98 porcelain jetta
      01-15-2011 09:18 PM #57
      so the report function is now working?
      Quote Originally Posted by mikey69
      NOW THATS SOME VORTEX FOR YOUR ASS

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 09:18 PM #58
      You guys were ALL warned a number of times to keep that thread on topic. We will NOT spend time continually cleaning up posts over and over. If you guys can't collectively keep a thread on topic (especially after being warned IN the thread) then you lose it. Period. Sorry guys.

iPhone

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 09:20 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
      so the report function is now working?
      It's been working. What in particular are you concerned about? PM me if needed....

iPhone

Vehicles
      98 porcelain jetta
      01-15-2011 09:21 PM #60
      It's been working. What in particular are you concerned about? PM me if needed....

iPhone
      i was talking with tdogg and he wasn't getting any threads that were reported
      Quote Originally Posted by mikey69
      NOW THATS SOME VORTEX FOR YOUR ASS

Vehicles
      nothing worth mentioning
      01-15-2011 09:21 PM #61
      You guys were ALL warned a number of times to keep that thread on topic. We will NOT spend time continually cleaning up posts over and over. If you guys can't collectively keep a thread on topic (especially after being warned IN the thread) then you lose it. Period. Sorry guys.

iPhone
      Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from. But letting these "repeat offenders" continue to post in these threads and get them locked, I just don't understand that. Obviously saying "guys, I'm going to lock the thread if you don't stop arguing" doesn't work... but yeah, keep doing what you gotta do I guess

Vehicles
      B5.5 Avant,B7 Passat
      01-15-2011 09:22 PM #62
      That ****s never worked.
      broke.status
      OSD
      NEK

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 09:23 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
      i was talking with tdogg and he wasn't getting any threads that were reported
      They all go to the "reported posts" forum. They are working.

iPhone

Vehicles
      01-15-2011 09:26 PM #64
      Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from. But letting these "repeat offenders" continue to post in these threads and get them locked, I just don't understand that. Obviously saying "guys, I'm going to lock the thread if you don't stop arguing" doesn't work... but yeah, keep doing what you gotta do I guess
      I'm not seeing your name on ANY of the thread reports. Normally, I'd take this as a valid gripe but you aren't expressing your opinion until too late.
      Report stuff instead of complaining when it's too late.

iPhone

Vehicles
      B5.5 Avant,B7 Passat
      01-15-2011 09:30 PM #65
      They all go to the "reported posts" forum. They are working.

iPhone

So it's better that they are being ingnored?
      broke.status
      OSD
      NEK

31. 01-15-2011 09:34 PM #66
      Nobody is ignoring anything, OMT. Mobius1 is refering to a conversation on the first day I started moderating the forum. No worries.

Vehicles
      nothing worth mentioning
      01-15-2011 09:35 PM #67
      I'm not seeing your name on ANY of the thread reports. Normally, I'd take this as a valid gripe but you aren't expressing your opinion until too late.
      Report stuff instead of complaining when it's too late.

iPhone
      i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way. i called you out because theres conflicting information. i'm not complaining i wanted an explanation. i'm done though. thanks for cleaning the place up

Vehicles
      B5.5 Avant,B7 Passat
      01-15-2011 09:45 PM #68
      Was more talking from my own experience Trav. All good tho.
      broke.status
      OSD
      NEK

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 red vr6 jetta
      01-15-2011 11:59 PM #69
      I agree that the stance thread was locked due to a few people constantly derailing the thread. Had i read this thread before the stance thread was locked, i would have reported some to save one of the best threads in this part of the forums. Unfortunately, i suppose that was the last straw for you guys so i understand the lock. Just an unfortunate situation where a few people ruined things to try and "be tough".

Good luck with the cleanup, i hope it works.
      **ABT A23's fs/ft** http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9#post72704839
      Quote Originally Posted by leViR6 View Post
      dam dude all i just wanted to show some support for the vw's but instead i get pelted with dicks
      www.wideopentuning.com

Vehicles
      Ford Superduty and a 85 GT
      01-16-2011 12:11 AM #70
      I completely understand the zero tolerance plan and giving out infractions to those who like to flame and what not. Maybe even ban a few of them for being extreme a**holes. I guess zero tolerance doesn't come into play on the stance thread. Instead of taking down BS posts and giving infractions it got locked. Thanks mk3 mod team.
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3_vws View Post
      ..you dont wanna know how much dick I had to suck for that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast