VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

ESP On or Off?

18K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  GAJim 
#1 ·
With my B6 '09 wagon, when I turn off ESP by pressing the console button, the icon flashes on the dash display and then goes out. Is this working correctly? I would think it would flash when ESP is on and it has encountered slipping and corrected. With the button set to off, I would think the light would stay lit on the dash?

#2 ·
When u push the button hold it for a few secs and it would confirm on or off on mfd

#3 ·
What is this you speak of?
I've never hear of this. I thought on the 08.5 and above passats when you hit the esp button it just turned the traction control portion of esp off while still having the light flash annoyingly.

#4 ·
on my 08, the ESP light stays lit on the instrument cluster when I turn it off.

the Passat uses a TRW system for the ESP components, unlike the Golf/Jettas getting the ATE system.

#7 ·
Mine is a 2009 wagon with the TSI engine. I am trying to make sure ESP is working correctly because this weekend it did not seem too stable in light snow. I also noticed that the OEM Contis were down to 6/32 all around before the 20k rotation. Not my experience with the Michelins on my Jetta or other Contis I have had.

#17 ·
I am certainly going to have the dealer check it out. Those of you out there with '09s and newer, does the light stay on in the dash when you turn off ESP? Seems it does with '08s and earlier and it certainly does with my '06 Jetta.

Could be there is a problem with all the '09s and newer?

#18 ·
I'll check mine in a few hours

#24 ·
Nice try, but it's not explained that well. So I tried turning off ESP again after getting my car back from the dealership, it was a resistor (this one better last longer than 4 months!) and it did more this time around. When I press the ESP button the MFD displayed "TCS Off" and the light blinked and continued blinking while the system was off. The button did not illuminate or visually depress. When I press the ESP again the MFD display said "TCS On" and the light goes off. When I let loose in the snow with ESP off the light flashed vigorously, but the system did not engage...

Hope that helps.

#23 ·
Yup...not handled too well in there. Those of us with '09s and newer just want to know how the idiot light behaves when you turn off ESP. My wife makes the point, how do I know if it is on or off, if I turn it off and it flashes for about 10 seconds on the dash then stops illuminating? What becomes the difference there and ESP being on altogether?

#28 ·
Mine does and it's a 2010... My dash is also different btw

#30 ·
I don't think VW would make 09 an oddball

#32 ·
Yea... But it still isn't practical that VW would change it just for the 09 and then bring it back 2010.. I think something is up with yours. I also think that you're hoping for the .001% chance that 09's are different so u dont have to get your car checked out. You really have to look at tw facts here.

But if you wish... I will have my friend to check his 2008 and his dad's 2009. I really don't think it will be different

#33 ·
Plus if u have an 09 aren't u still covered under warranty?

And if u have a question call a dealer or vw and ask what its suppose to do specifically for an 09 you've gotten responses from 06-07 and a 2010 and u don't like any of them.

Are you questioning if something working now or just the notification

Sent from my EVO

#34 ·
Going to the dealer Friday. Just wanted to be prepared. And I do think there is a possiblity that only the '09 is behaving this way. Other than the fact that I haven't felt it has performed in the snow recently, I never recall the message in the MFD like the others have said. Maybe I have the MFD configured differently.

When I turn off ESP, my dash idiot light flashes for about 8 sec. then turns off. No change in the MFD. Likewise when I turn ESP back on, no change in the MFD. With ESP on and Off the idiot light will come on in wheel spinning.

Just wanted to know what I am talking about before visiting the dealer.

#36 ·
You could test urs out to see if its the button or the system by taking note of what happens when u press the button once then testing by driving in snow or wet road if wheels spin uncontrolled esp is off. If Ur RPMs get limited to try and regain grip then its on.

I would think if something was wrong with the esp your dash would be lit up and the system would be disabled bc its working incorrectly.

But I would just test it myself to see if my esp is working correctly or if it just isn't notifying me about what setting Ur in.

Oh and every time u turn Ur car off it will automatically turn esp back on if u had it off the last time u drove u car. So technically every time u start ur car Ur tcs should be on.

Sent from my EVO

#41 ·
The problem I see when I tested it was when ESP was off the light blinks every second or so and when the front tires lose grip with the system OFF the light blinks at a rapid rate, as if the system was on, but the revs are not limited. Very misleading if you're not paying attention or you don't know how that type of system works.

#38 ·
i think 09's have red.. 2010's have white which started selling in 09

#43 ·
Just back from the dealer and everything checked out fine with ESP. Quite a bit of snow here today, so I was able to test it out myself. Serious wheelspin when ESP off, and serious loss of power/rpms when ESP on and needed.

For those that doubted me that the '09s have different behavior, the technician confirmed that the '09 does not send a message to the MFD, TCS on/off. All you get is a few seconds of steady flash of the idiot light on the dash when you first turn ESP off. After that time, only the car's performance tells you where your at. It seems the '08s did tell you on the MFD, and the '10s did as well.

This is why I am looking for input from other '09s.

Oh...and it may be that the biggest problem I have is that the tread on the OEM Contis has gone down to 6/32 all around. Not good for a tire that had 11/32 new and only 2 years, 2 rotations later.

#44 ·
This is why I am looking for input from other '09s.

Oh...and it may be that the biggest problem I have is that the tread on the OEM Contis has gone down to 6/32 all around. Not good for a tire that had 11/32 new and only 2 years, 2 rotations later.
Good to hear that things are in good working order.

Not so good to hear about the OEM Contis... my new B6 has Contis! How many miles do you have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.