Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Best time of year to buy insulation?

01-17-2011 04:25 PM #1
      (the rolls of pink stuff)

I've never paid much attention to the price of insulation. Does the price generally fluctuate during the year? I expect demand is highest in late fall / early winter... do places generally jack up prices during this time? Lower the prices late in the winter when demand has gone down? I hear about sales at Home Depot every once in a while but don't know if that's the best time and place to get it.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
      91 GTI 8v - RIP - 192,511 mi. and dead
      00 Jetta 20v - 225,xxx mi. and counting
      97 volvo 850 wagon 20v - 191,xxx mi. and sold
      09 Jetta wagon 20v - 60,000 mi. and counting

Vehicles
      '91 Ford Ranger,'04 R32-sold, '92 500E-sold, '75 Honda CL360
      01-17-2011 05:14 PM #2
      I can't imagine the price of insulation is too variable. It's bought most during construction/renovation which is happening all year long (except maybe in the dead of winter depending on location). It's also used in hot climates to keep the cool in so I doubt there's really much of a down time for insulation sales. Just a guess.
      '92 500E, '91 Ranger
      Disney villa in Bahama Bay Resort & Spa - rent directly from me - 2bd/2bth - sleeps 6 - will beat rate from resort, orbitz, etc and you'll get my unit in BEST spot within resort. I use on-site mgmt company so pay upon check-in....easy peasy. IM for detailed pics.

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      01-17-2011 06:19 PM #3
      I work for a commercial wholesaler of insulation. Our prices stay constant through the year, even though "winter months" are slow due to a decrease in construction projects.

However, the actual insulation manufacturers (Knauf, OwensCorning, CertainTeed, JohnsManville, etc) do their own price increases, which require us to raise our prices in return. When this happens we buy a few hundred thousand square feet of product, and practice the LIFO accounting method.

On the other hand, you would probably be buying these rolls from Menards or somewhere, which is a retail store and can throw periodic sales on their insulation rolls. They might do this during winter when they can't sell it, but it isn't guaranteed.

The closest branch of my company is about 250 miles away from you, but I would also suggest calling around to insulation suppliers in your area or just walking in and asking if they have 16" wide rolls or extra cutoffs you could buy. A lot of times we get scrap that is 16-20" wide and up to 8" thick (R25) that is garbage and we can either throw away or sell for pure profit. We CAN give it away for free when we have it (which isn't all the time) and I have before. But we usually just do a discounted cash sale. Can't hurt to try though

01-18-2011 09:22 PM #4
      Thanks for the replies. That makes a lot of sense that home builders are the biggest consumers, not weekend DIY guys.

While we're on the subject, I'm not really sure how much I should get. The Owens Corning online calculator shows I should aim to get R-60. Right now it looks like I have two layers of insulation in the attic. Each is about 4" thick and the paper says R-19 on it. So is that together R-38? I can't really seem to figure that out by Googling. This page seems to indicate that I would have R-38: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2147528.

So I should try to get another R-22 on top of that, then I'm all set, right? The existing stuff looks to be in decent condition and not crushed or matted in many areas. Does my drywall count for anything? Google seems to think that's about R-0.45 if it's 1/2". Not sure if it is 1/2" but that's almost negligible either way.

For reference this is about a 1000 sqft single story ranch in southern new england. I used about 340 gallons of oil last year for my somewhat old boiler and tankless water coil. That was my first full year in the house. Decent windows, blown-in insulation in all exterior walls, old doors, probably some air leaks here and there.

Thanks!
      91 GTI 8v - RIP - 192,511 mi. and dead
      00 Jetta 20v - 225,xxx mi. and counting
      97 volvo 850 wagon 20v - 191,xxx mi. and sold
      09 Jetta wagon 20v - 60,000 mi. and counting

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      01-19-2011 01:01 AM #5
      yeah as long as its not compressed at the r value of the insulation you install can be added up... so r19 + r19 + r22 =r60(ish)

if you have a crawl space you might consider checking out what you have for floor (in joist) insulation. it might help you out to put in a 1st layer or another layer down there as well.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      01-19-2011 08:12 AM #6
      Certainly the best time to install insulation is when it is cold. Hot attics and insulation are my idea of hell.

7. 01-19-2011 09:42 AM #7
      Just as an FYI. I had a lot of insulation to install when I renovated my house. I priced out what it would cost buying through Lowes/HD vs paying a specialty insulation company to do the project labor/material. The cost differential was very minimal and I went ahead and just went with the pros.

May want to price out a few quotes from insulation contractors before you convince yourself to go the DIY route.

BRENT

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      01-19-2011 10:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by spookygeek View Post
      May want to price out a few quotes from insulation contractors before you convince yourself to go the DIY route.
      Anyone have advice on this? My brother is asking me to help him out on his old townhouse. The attic insulation is pretty thin (I think R20). We were going to get some of the pink and lay it on top ourselves. The "footprint" of the attic is about 6-700 sq ft.
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

Vehicles
      90 Miata, 13 Leaf
      01-19-2011 01:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Anyone have advice on this? My brother is asking me to help him out on his old townhouse. The attic insulation is pretty thin (I think R20). We were going to get some of the pink and lay it on top ourselves. The "footprint" of the attic is about 6-700 sq ft.
      Easy enough to do, especially in that situation. I'd look into the cost/ease difference between batting and blow-in.

10. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      01-20-2011 04:35 PM #10
      http://www.lowes.com/pl_Johns+Manvil...a-_-num1-_-num

not sure if that will work just got that in an email from lowes..