Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: abs control module repair

Vehicles
      88 16v scirocco, 2000vw passat,2003 audi a6, 2001 vw jetta
      01-21-2011 06:00 PM #1
      Has anyone had any experience with abs control module repair. I found a few companies on the internet that say they can repair them. From what I understand they usually fault due to bad internal connections. Supposedly they can be fixed. Before I send mine out i was just wondering if anyone had a good experience with getting theirs repaired.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      01-21-2011 06:25 PM #2
      Almost everyone; it's become a standard process. The place I've heard the best feedback on is ModuleMaster, but there are a lot of shops. Even some who are eBay only, and incredibly cheap - not recommending them, personally.

3. 01-21-2011 07:23 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Almost everyone; it's become a standard process. The place I've heard the best feedback on is ModuleMaster, but there are a lot of shops. Even some who are eBay only, and incredibly cheap - not recommending them, personally.

^^ 2nd That ^^
      Modulemasters is the place. I've lost count of success stories and praise for the company's honesty when analyzing modules...if the module is good, they will tell you and send it back.

Vehicles
      01-22-2011 12:47 PM #4
      Module masters it is then. Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting the passat back on the road. I haven't been driving it because all those lights and buzzers are so annoying.

5. 01-22-2011 03:14 PM #5
      Take a look at the Module Master website - good info on how to diagnose and remove the module . I went for a year and got used to the three beep startup but the only difference in driving is - no ABS !
      Removal of the module is physically easy but awkward . I chose to unscrew the front of the fender liner and go in over the wheel ( turned full left for access ) . There are six torx fasteners but I can't recall what size .
      Nice thing about MM is their warranty . And their quick response !

Vehicles
      01-23-2011 02:59 AM #6
      This car has been a labor of love. I bought the car with a broken timing belt and 12 bent valves. The previous owner took the car apart to repair it but got frustrated and quit. When I bought the car it was in pieces. The head was off and in the trunk with the headlights. The core support and radiator were just sitting in the guys yard. The guy handed me a box of parts and a 5 gallon bucket containing all the nuts and bolts he had removed. It took a while but I eventually got the car back together and drove it until the abs module went out. The only reason I bought it was to see if i could put it back together. I wanted to learn and I figured it would be the perfect project. I don't think my wife really believed I could do it. You should have seen her face when my buddy and I trailered it home. Well anyway I need to get it up and running. I have been driving my 2 slow mk4 automatic jetta and it is not nearly as fun as my passat.

Vehicles
      2004 A4 Avant (sold), 20th AE Jazz Blue (sold)
      01-29-2011 11:57 PM #7
      having the same issues with my 20th AE, was looking at getting a new abs module, but would be way more cheaper to get it repaired!

Vehicles
      2013 jetta 2.5L auto 2000 2.8L V6 blue wagon
      01-31-2011 01:19 PM #8
      Hi, I have a recommendation, don't use BBA-REMAN.

At 130K i got the ABS / BRAKE FAILURE warnings and STOP thrown in for good measure. I removed the ABS controller and sent it out to BBA-REMAN to re-build. In a couple of days, they called to say they had fixed it and it would be shipped the next day. But 10 mins. later they called to say they were mistaken and they couldn't fix it. So i ended up buying one of their rebuilts off the shelf for $350. I was told it needed to be programmed after i installed it. Indeed, after i had received and installed it, all the same warnings were still there. Thinking it just needed a reprogram, I took the car over to my local indie shop to reprogram but they couldn’t. The warnings were still there and there was a 65535 error scanned by the VAG.

I called BBA-REMAN who sent me a warranty replacement unit. I installed it and it worked. I called and asked BBA-REMAN for a credit for the $115 i had to pay the indie shop trying to program the first module and they wouldn't do it. Their explanation was they don’t re-imburse for diagnostics. The diagnostic that was performed was troubleshooting a faulty BBA-REMAN unit so forget about diagnostics, how about warranty service on their faulty unit? I eventually began to suspect that they had packaged up my unrepairable unit by mistake and shipped it back to me.

I tried to reason with them that maybe the first unit was just not the right part for my car. She replied in a commanding tone that they only shipped me the part that I had ordered..? I had asked for a replacement for my original, I didn’t specify it by part #. She told me that the unit was passing tests on the bench. So did they ship me the wrong unit, or do their tests not work?

They also claimed that I had refused return of my unrepairable unit, when in fact it was never offered to me in the first place. If i had it to do over again I'd try MODULEMASTER.

Vehicles
      02-02-2011 01:27 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by rayj View Post
      Hi, I have a recommendation, don't use BBA-REMAN.

At 130K i got the ABS / BRAKE FAILURE warnings and STOP thrown in for good measure. I removed the ABS controller and sent it out to BBA-REMAN to re-build. In a couple of days, they called to say they had fixed it and it would be shipped the next day. But 10 mins. later they called to say they were mistaken and they couldn't fix it. So i ended up buying one of their rebuilts off the shelf for $350. I was told it needed to be programmed after i installed it. Indeed, after i had received and installed it, all the same warnings were still there. Thinking it just needed a reprogram, I took the car over to my local indie shop to reprogram but they couldn’t. The warnings were still there and there was a 65535 error scanned by the VAG.

I called BBA-REMAN who sent me a warranty replacement unit. I installed it and it worked. I called and asked BBA-REMAN for a credit for the $115 i had to pay the indie shop trying to program the first module and they wouldn't do it. Their explanation was they don’t re-imburse for diagnostics. The diagnostic that was performed was troubleshooting a faulty BBA-REMAN unit so forget about diagnostics, how about warranty service on their faulty unit? I eventually began to suspect that they had packaged up my unrepairable unit by mistake and shipped it back to me.

I tried to reason with them that maybe the first unit was just not the right part for my car. She replied in a commanding tone that they only shipped me the part that I had ordered..? I had asked for a replacement for my original, I didn’t specify it by part #. She told me that the unit was passing tests on the bench. So did they ship me the wrong unit, or do their tests not work?

They also claimed that I had refused return of my unrepairable unit, when in fact it was never offered to me in the first place. If i had it to do over again I'd try MODULEMASTER.

What do you suggest I should do? and where should I send mine. I live in Washington state...

10. 02-02-2011 12:20 PM #11
      'What do you suggest I should do? and where should I send mine. I live in Washington state...'

Module Master is in Idaho - shipping shouldn't cost much .

Vehicles
      02-10-2011 12:30 AM #12
      module masters said they would rebuild mine for 100 dollars, that beats buying a brand new abs module!!