VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Caddy V4.0 - glutton for punishment

63K views 419 replies 76 participants last post by  Rage In The Machines 
#1 ·
I just cant seem to leave well enough alone, so I have begun to rebuild the Caddy once again.

The day I got it:

For the history I traded a modded 84 GTI for this stock Caddy back in 08 even. My original build thread for V1.0 and part of V2.0 after the OG turbo bit the bullet:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4016243-Its-Alive!.......Caddy-turbo-project

Then about a yr later this is what lead to V3.0:

And thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4248073-Power-limit-for-stock-JH-rods

V3.0 Was a used G60 bottom end and a used OBD1 ABA head, along with a new small T25 SPA turbo. All that worked and ran beautifully for the past 2 yrs. Though the G60 block had over 160k and the ABA head almost 200k, the combo lead to more and more blow by. As well I had been adding bits, and wiring, and etc the whole time the and engine bay was a bit of a mess.

And thus was begun yet another rebuild, the aforementioned V4.0 which will address all the previous short comings as well as expanding the scope of the project. Main new points for the redo:

-hidden wiring
-bigger displacement
-bigger turbo
-semi-shaved bay
-cleaner layout of plumbing

As it was before I yanked the motor:

See less See more
#371 ·
So, since I wasnt going to make it to SOWO progress slowed abit as both work and life got in the way. But I am back on it:beer:

All the 'bodily' fluids are in it, and seem to be staying put thus far. After begining to make custom door cards I decided instead to modify some GLI cards instead:

I need to rework the lower speaker frame to cover up the old 4x6 hole, but the window latch clears the upper just fine. So all in all pretty happy, especially since I will have so much better sound than before.

#373 ·
Late response, but yes was good to see you as well :beer:

Progress has slowed once again, damn life and work getting in the way. But I have managed to get some little things done: door cards, rear brake lines, dash bezel, etc. Should have some new pics up soon.

I will drive it to H20i this year :peace:

#380 ·
Been distracted by my TDI project, but I did get some new parts for the Caddy. I got new alu body threaded shocks for the back. The air ride in the back was always planned for fin tuning the ride height and quality. With just the bags I needed to air them up to ~80psi to get to ride height, which wouldnt have been very comfy. So I will swap the rear shocks out for the new ones with some midget springs which will provide about half the spring rate and let me use the bags as I planned to from the begining

:beer:

#383 ·
Had some time this weekend to work on the Caddy, and pretty much came to the conclusion I have to get new carpet to replace the new carpet I already have. The Stock Interior just inst the look, or fit I want.

I did get the new rear shock/coil-over set up together and on the car, they were even Boris pre-approved:

#385 ·
So I am considering a bit of a change in plans. One that some will say I should have done since day one, running bumpers again....but I do really like the look of it without:

Anyone else thoughts?

It would be a real OEM Jetta front eurobumper and a custom made/modified rabbit euro rear.....

#387 ·
The rears are very different between Rabbit and Jetta, the fronts.....not so much. I am still not sure which direction I am going yet. Which is kind of whats going on with the Caddy in general.

I am not happy/satisfied with some of the choices/plans/executions on the interior which is why its been stagnant for awhile now. As long as its been down already I am def not going to rush up the last details.

:beer:

#394 ·
Sure, though most are going to disagree with me about it. I originally got a StockInterior set up, but I didnt like the fit or the style of carpet. It was cut pile, and just too fuzzy. A buddy picked up a truck that came with a TMI kit.

Yes, if you search everyone says how bad they suck. Well after looking at his and seeing it installed I am going to have to say fit is fine, if you know what you are doing and make sure to run the proper thickness padding. I actually like the multiple pcs, as well as the loop carpet itself. I got it with the cloth binding, not the standard yarn binding, and honestly its the exact look I wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.