Mmm High Life. That is what my projects are sponsered with.
Looking good so far.
Ever wonder what the 'guts' of a MK1 control arm look like? Well here you go:
Cut them apart for the front and rear bushing portions to use in some new arms I had an idea for the other day. Here is the frame work of the first arm, and I used the wood table and screws to outline a jig for the 2nd arm to match:
And with both arms near done, one more than the other:
Still have to make up the bottom plate for the ball joint on both arms and weld that one.
Why?, you might ask did I do all this?
Well its hard to tell from the pics but the ball joint mounting location is angled a fair amount. And will position the ball joint parallel to the ground with the end of the arm 2.25" higher than the bushing mounts. Bascially this will set the ball joints parallel to the ground with the stance of my Caddy, vs with the stock arms the ball joints were fully maxed out at the end of their travel/movement. My hope and plan is that this will help out with the bump steer and twitchy handling due to the large static drop of the caddy. As a side note they weight about 2lbs less ea than the stock arms.
Man... those arms look awesome.
When I was working on my "Z'd" arms I noticed something very interesting. All of the measurements I took showed that the ball joint mount is parallel but not perpendicular to the inner control arm mounts. It seems to be slightly forward of the front/inner control arm mount. Your new ones look to be perpendicular to the inner mounts. This may cause your front wheels to be moved back in the wells a little.
Just an observation... nothing more! Keep up the great work!
I think that is the pic angle and the nature of not being able to see the arms 'stock', as all the points line up exactly with a stock arm.
Also spent yet another day sanding, filling, sanding, touch up, sanding, spot filling..........
Its amazing how long it takes to get this done right, I have so much more respect for those body guys and shops that do this all the time
yes firewall and front core support are next, just wanted to get the sides where all the time was spent in color finally for some kind of payoff. The paint is single stage factory Mojave Beige and I cant express too much how happy I am with the color and flatness of it.
And Nash, I got your number son....and your Mom's
loving all the custom work
CADDY SUPPORT GROUPS http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caddy-...0827989?ref=hl http://www.caddypan.com/
Well new pics wouldnt show much, in detail mode at this point. Back to sand,fill, prime repeat mode on the last few holes in the firewall. I did decide to ditch the heater core hoses, and associated holes in the firewall. The final call to remove the heater core was sealed when I found a near perfect set of rado leather seats w/heat.
Engine is a little more compelte as well with some more details, basically the hold up now is finding a decent 02a/j to finish the assembly and get it in the bay to move forward with plumbing and wiring.
Cut up a stock upper trans mount to get the 'ring' to use for making my 02a trans mount bracket. Also made some progress on my version of a crossmember support, its a piece of 1/8" SS:
Still need to add a few holes on top for the rad mount and to bolt the support in on the top, as well as fine tune the vertical portion and front mount holes.
hadn't been online in a while and glad i peeked in...good stuff adam...
can't wait to shower you with love and affection in 2 weeks...