Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Results 251 to 275 of 420

    Thread: Caddy V4.0 - glutton for punishment

    1. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-23-2011 04:37 PM #251
      And now all together and finished welded:



      Compared to a stock MK1 arm and ball joint:



      And here with the arms parallel and as they would sit compared to each other mounted up, you can see I managed to raise the balljoint position almost 3/4":


    2. Member vwovw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2004
      Location
      IOWA
      Posts
      3,512
      12-23-2011 08:43 PM #252
      very nice work!

    3. Member R32peterb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Cocoa, Fl
      Posts
      4,915
      Vehicles
      Supercharged R32, 81 Caddy 2.1L ABA Supercharged, 2012 Jetta TDI Daily Driver
      12-23-2011 09:52 PM #253
      wow thats is just awesome!!!

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2011
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      MKI unicorn/ MKIII unicorn
      12-24-2011 12:00 AM #254
      Ever thought of running the fan push style out front? It would reallllly clean up the bay. Great build, I always wonder why it's so silent in here.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      1,636
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 4dr 6spd, 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero, 1971 BMW 2002
      12-24-2011 06:39 AM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Duchamp View Post
      Ever thought of running the fan push style out front? It would reallllly clean up the bay. Great build, I always wonder why it's so silent in here.
      Because every available inch in front of the radiator is stuffed full of intercooler.

    6. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-24-2011 10:29 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by melmer View Post
      Because every available inch in front of the radiator is stuffed full of intercooler.

      He is correct, no room for anything between the IC and the rad....well except for some nuts bolts a certain someone keeps dropping down there......

    7. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-24-2011 11:53 AM #257
      Well got them mocked up in the car to make the rear mounts and here they are:





      Just need to finish weld up the rear mounts. I cycled the front suspension through as much movement as possible without pushing it off the lift and everything seems to work as planned.

      There is def more height to the balljoint mount, resulting in more axle to arm clearance as well. When I pull the arms out to send off for plating I will take a pic for comparisons to the stock arm and balljoint.

    8. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-24-2011 05:44 PM #258
      Also made up my version of the 16v Rocco brace:



      Got it nice and high up, its actually higher than the oil pan and the bottom of the diff on the trans:



      Still need to add the drivers side 2nd point of attachment, but overall very happy with how it came out.

    9. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-25-2011 04:51 PM #259
      Finished up the 4th 'point' on the lower tie bar. As well got the rear control arm mounts finished welded and painted up. Put the arms in, with the tie bar, and with them adjusted to match the stock dimensions I still have plenty of room to adjust either way from stock:





      And here you can see the added hieght of the balljoint mount on my arms, and notice the extr clearance between the arm and the axle:


    10. Member Darrsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2002
      Location
      Lorton, VA
      Posts
      3,695
      Vehicles
      94 Rado, 04 R1
      12-27-2011 02:56 PM #260
      Corrado VS. Rice Burner

      "Corrado Wins"

      I get a buzz out of the combination of design and sport.
      Adrian Newey

    11. Member tobiwonkonobi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2002
      Location
      PVD
      Posts
      7,743
      Vehicles
      mk1 coupe mk2 coupe
      12-27-2011 04:19 PM #261
      Nice work Adam
      VW Fiends German Speed Society Banchwerks PVW 4/08 & 7/12
      Nothing leaves Stock Creep Customz Brokestatus Get Low Unix Performance Gengstout

    12. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-27-2011 07:38 PM #262
      Well the carpet showed up today, got it from Stock Interiors, and have to say out of the car looks pretty good.:



      I am letting it un-curl from its shipping box for a few days before I try and fit it. I also got an extra roll of padding with heatshield on one side for additional padding underneath. Bit worried about heat gain in the cabin with the closeness of the exhaust and the fact I had to remove the factory tunnel heat shield.

      Also pulled the tires off the ole RM's to begin their re-working;


    13. Banned vento86's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2008
      Posts
      10,613
      12-27-2011 07:43 PM #263
      that carpet looks good. i might have to pick one up

    14. Member MicroCADDY's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2008
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      9,864
      Vehicles
      ALL VW garage. mk1 slammed CADDY, mk1 slammed JETTA, slammed THING & mk6 JETTA
      12-27-2011 08:45 PM #264
      Got my carpet from them. Not to shabby. good price.

      Did you get the mass back ?

      under $200.oo shipped for color you want, Mass back & specific mold for each car. Caddy as well
      Last edited by MicroCADDY; 12-27-2011 at 08:48 PM.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Edmonton, Canada
      Posts
      492
      Vehicles
      Too many
      12-27-2011 10:06 PM #265
      lookin good, been lurking this build for a while

    16. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-27-2011 10:50 PM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by MicroCADDY View Post
      Got my carpet from them. Not to shabby. good price.

      Did you get the mass back ?

      under $200.oo shipped for color you want, Mass back & specific mold for each car. Caddy as well
      I got the standard kit for a Caddy in black. It has attached padding in the flat areas of the floor.

    17. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-28-2011 07:42 PM #267
      Got the RM's broken down, now just have to decide on which of the 2 options for the new version I am going with:


    18. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2011
      Location
      bellingham, WA
      Posts
      243
      Vehicles
      1980 rabbit caddy
      12-28-2011 11:10 PM #268


      I'm in love with your exhaust that is what I wanted to do with mine but have both go through the side panels but I have a gas tank in the way So for now I'll stick with one

    19. 12-29-2011 01:01 AM #269
      Penny for your thoughts.

      As I was doing the final assembly of my control arms on my bench I was running the arm through the range of motion and noticed how much the rear strut rod heim joint articulates-



      Now I completely understand that your truck will likely not be running through the same range of motion that mine will with air ride but do you think there will be any issues with the rear poly rod end binding?


    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2011
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      MKI unicorn/ MKIII unicorn
      12-29-2011 01:34 AM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyone View Post
      Got the RM's broken down, now just have to decide on which of the 2 options for the new version I am going with

      Do one of the options involve the olive drab from your bay? I like that one if so

    21. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-29-2011 10:35 AM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by kyleromero View Post


      I'm in love with your exhaust that is what I wanted to do with mine but have both go through the side panels but I have a gas tank in the way So for now I'll stick with one

      Mine would actually fit with the stock gas tank still in, though it would be very close to the stock fuel pump so maybe not the best idea

    22. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-29-2011 10:41 AM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mk1 View Post
      Penny for your thoughts.

      As I was doing the final assembly of my control arms on my bench I was running the arm through the range of motion and noticed how much the rear strut rod heim joint articulates-



      Now I completely understand that your truck will likely not be running through the same range of motion that mine will with air ride but do you think there will be any issues with the rear poly rod end binding?

      If I was planning to use it more like the so called 'normal' air ride kits, that is dropping it when people look and keeping it jacked up when they arent , yes I would worry about the poly binding. But I set mine up at ride height, so thats the zero point so to say. I only expect it to see a couple of inches movement above or below that and I have ran it through that range or motion by hand. That I can do that with very little effort leads me to believe for my use it will be fine.

      Honestly I am more worried about the poly's binding on the front arms in the rear position. And am thinking about putting them on my Coupe to drive around on them for a bit while I finish the Caddy.

    23. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-29-2011 10:44 AM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by Duchamp View Post
      Do one of the options involve the olive drab from your bay? I like that one if so
      Yes both ideas will have the centers in the flat OD

    24. 12-29-2011 10:55 AM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyone View Post
      Also got the G60 TB front housing back from welding. I cut off the ISV/G60 re-circ set up off the bottom and had a flange welded on for the BOV, Its on in the pic above and here is a side shot for a better view:



      It will be pretty invisable in the final set up

      Is the BOV after the throttle plate? If it is you are going to have some issues. When the throttle plate closes the engine is in vacuum, this is what the BOV needs to see to open up. Since the throttle plate will be closed, there will be no boost where I believe you have it. Typically you would like it to be as close to the throttle body, however somwhere in between it and the turbo.

    25. Member grizzlyone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      your mom
      12-29-2011 11:08 AM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by 400HPA4 View Post
      Is the BOV after the throttle plate? If it is you are going to have some issues. When the throttle plate closes the engine is in vacuum, this is what the BOV needs to see to open up. Since the throttle plate will be closed, there will be no boost where I believe you have it. Typically you would like it to be as close to the throttle body, however somwhere in between it and the turbo.

      No its in front as it should be, you must not be familar with G60 TB's, the front portion unbolts from the actual TB.

    Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •