Those are pretty cool little bags. Who is the manufacturer?
Another delievery from the UPS man, my tiny air ride parts:
Thats a regular size of spray paint in the pic for reference. The bags are 4" OD and go from 2.5" compressed to 8" fully expanded. Its a 1gal tank, and 1/4hp pump. I had to get the plates made up as no one I could find offers precut plates for the 4" bags.
Well finally got the the end links for the 4-link, also got a collection of precut tabs to make things a little easier and faster:
The larger links are for the bottom strait links, as they take the most load and are ~ 2 3/4" wide. The others are 1 1/2" wide and will be for the upper diagonal links. Links and some of the tabs came from Speedway, and the other brackets from BallisticFab
Got so more work done on the subframe. Figured out the angles and placement for the upper triangulated links and got those mounted up. As well welded on some mounting strips for both the air tank and air horns:
Also got some brackets bent up and welded on some ends caps for my lower link relocations:
Basically these will bolt into the stock front leaf mounts and then relocate the lower links towards the front of the caddy and lower them for better geometry. They also make the change from the stock leaf width to my end link width. The gold nut and bolts were to keep the opening the right size while I welded the back plates on. Obviously still needs several holes drilled in them and some nuts welded on. I was able to get the bag mount plates drilled out for the mounting bolts and air fitting. But the fitting hole still needs to be bigger, just waiting on the adaptor to show up to know the exact size.
Yeah... totally agree. Isolating the axle is certainly the best for road use for sure. I just wish the QA1's would give a little better range of motion for those with height adjustable suspensions. I have found that the Daystar Poly Flex Joints when combined with a full poly rod ends is fair compromise for road use and flexibility.
The QA1 should be a perfect fit for your performance oriented application for sure.
Finished up the cutting and drilling for the various fittings and the runners on the intake manifold and dropping it off tomorrow for welding. Also think I am going to revisit my control arm design for a V2.0. Put in a big order for a bunch of AN fittings and hardline, I am planing to do all the air and fuel lines in bent hardlines. Also made my plan for the brakes front and rear, going to order shiny bits tomorrow for those
Decided to go ahead and get the exh knocked out before pulling the subframe back out for final welding:
All 3 'red things' are CherryBomb glasspacks, 1 2.5" before the split then 2 2.25" units. Made up my own 2.5" to dual 2.25" Y for the set up to get the angles right and fit the space the best. Just need to weld up the glasspacks and fab up a couple of hangers
Yeah much like the lower links, pretty sure I went massive overkill with the axle. Its 2.5" S40 pipe so is 2.88" OD and has almost 1/4" walls. I have never cut up a stock Caddy axle but I doubt its even half that wall thickness. The nice thing is the S40 pipe is easy to find and relatively cheap.
Getting so close to putting it back on its own wheels again......
Got the rest of the bits to finish up the exhaust, the other hanger and downturn. Also got the alu upper swedged links and the tube adaptors for the lower links. Then I went ahead and put the bags and upper links in to make sure of the tube length for the lowers:
Tomorrow will weld up the lowers and put both the subframe and exhaust to finish weld it all up
I actually may be done welding
But really I got the axle finished up completely, added a gusset to the upper link mounts and welded on 2 nuts for the limit straps:
The straps are a whopping 10", which as it turns out are a specialty size in off road parts so they cost as much as 24"+ units, each
Also got the subframe all knocked out. Cleaned up the old air tank mounts and fully welded the upper bag mounts. Also added a 1" x1/8" strip to reinforce the edges that projected out beyond the subframe:
Pulled the exhaust out and finished welded it up with all the hangers so its 100% dont now as well:
Oh yeah also weighed up the final assemblies:
Subframe, bare : 73lbs
Axle, bare, 34lbs
I figure the axle is a wash with the stock, and with you take into account the leaf springs, larger and heavier gas tank, I would say I really have only added ~50lbs to the truck. When you add in the fact of the gas tank holding 4 gals less and the smaller lighter battery I will be running its almost dead even from before.
But I wont throwout any % guesses, I will also being willing to bet the front to rear weight bias will be much closer to 50/50 than it was before