Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 6 inch hunting barrel on glock 29?

1. 01-21-2011 11:59 PM #1
      I really want a glock 29...dunno why, I already have a 19.

Is it possible to stick a 6 inch hunting barrel on a glock 29? This way, I could hunt with the 29 with the long barrel and extended clip and concealed carry with the shorty.

Kind of like this, but with a 6 incher instead of this 4 incher:

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      01-22-2011 05:06 PM #2
      As long as the barrel is made for a glock and chambered in 10mm you should be good to go. With the 29 you are not necessarily limited to just 10mm you could get a swap barrel from lone wolf in a bunch of calibers, 9mm, 357sig, 40 s&w, even 400 cor-bon irrc. Lone wolf gives tons of options, can even get one ported if you want

Edit, just checked at lone wolf and for some reason they don't recommend the 6'' barrels in the sub compacts, might just be being over protective of their liabilities. They do offer an extended ported barrel in lots of calibers though
      Last edited by 1lojet1281; 01-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.

3. 01-22-2011 05:54 PM #3
      Any idea what kind of magazine is in that picture above?

And I emailed lone wolf, hopefully they can get back to me what kind of safety issues I would have. Basically I am only wondering whether the barrel (when it tilts) will rub against the slide. It does not seem like it should.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and of you that have shot a 29, worth it? I watched the Hickok45 videos on the glock 26 vs 29. The 26 seemed about 10 times easier to shoot than the 29. Shooting looked fun with the 26 and a task with the 29.

What do you think?

Just so you know, I am of the impression that the 9mm in its new black talonish garb is an adequate stopper. I am under the impression that the 10mm is a more than adequate stopper...meaning I am ok with my glock 19, but once you buy a glock, you have an itch for another...I want to shoot a wld hog with a glock 29!

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      01-22-2011 06:52 PM #4
      I would be tempted to get the 10mm in compact form (20, irrc) and then get the 6'' barrel in either 10mm, 40 super or 400 corbon for hunting. With the extra velocity from the barrel length I imagine it would be a great hog stopper! I think I would probably get the ported barrel though to help with recoil and follow up shots.

As far as the longer barrel binding on the subcompact, whether the barrel sticks out 1/16 (stock) or over 3'' the physics don't change, the only thing I can think of is that the pivot point (the end of the slide) being so far back on the barrel may cause cycling problems because of the extra weight from the longer barrel (similar to the problem with having a suppressor on the end of the barrel, it requires a neilson device to cycle) hopefully lone wolf can get you some answers though

5. 01-23-2011 12:56 AM #5
      I would get the 20. I was even thinking about getting it and chopping the frame down to subcompact size...then I could use subcompact magazines or use a full size mag with the bit of the frame I chopped attached to it, kind of like how the XD's work.

Though, it seemed complicated and the 20 is full size gun, not a compact (bigger than the 17 even. So, I would not have the short barrel like with the 29, just a short grip.

And I would have to buy a long barrel for it anyway.

Hopefully lone wolf will get back to me or I can find a local shop with the 6 inch barrel in stock.

Vehicles
      mk6 R, mk6 GLI
      01-31-2011 04:25 PM #6
      The barrel locking lugs between Full Size, Compact and SubCompact Glocks are different. IE, a 17 barrel will not work on 19 in a 19 slide. This is why LoneWolf makes 19L and 19XL barrels so you can use 17, 34, 17L lengh slides and have the barrel lugs match the correctly sized frame locking block. That being said, a 29 is not a true 'baby' glock but simply a compact glock in the wrong category -- so there may be other specs at play.

Most of the '6 inch' hunter barrels from LWD are designed to be used in 24 and 17L length slides on a G22 or identical frame. They do make lengthened barrels with the short-frame barrel lugs so you can do extended slides, but I haven't seen one in 10mm -- 9mm, 40sw and 357sig only. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=255

As said otherwise, if you want that extra bore length, you may want to start with a 20 and go from there -- easier to change calibers at that size frame too. Then again, if you do your own reloading, you can probably make a 10mm round with quite impressive ballistics for hunting.

7. 01-31-2011 09:02 PM #7
      Ya I played w the 29 and watched hickoks videos. Too much muzzle flip, not enough rounds.

The 26 tho. That one has my eye. I don't think I'd carry my 19 if I got the 26 tho, so I don't think ill be getting one. Plus 15 vs 10 rounds is a huge difference, especially w 9mm.

Definitely getting a 20 though. It'll be a good hunter and truck gun I think.

Csb.

Vehicles
      96 Windsor GLX, YELLOW B7 S4, RED MK2 VR, SURF 95 golf sport VR, RED 95 Jetta GLX, BLK 96 Jetta GLX,
      02-22-2011 03:55 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 1lojet1281 View Post
      As long as the barrel is made for a glock and chambered in 10mm you should be good to go. With the 29 you are not necessarily limited to just 10mm you could get a swap barrel from lone wolf in a bunch of calibers, 9mm, 357sig, 40 s&w, even 400 cor-bon irrc. Lone wolf gives tons of options, can even get one ported if you want

Edit, just checked at lone wolf and for some reason they don't recommend the 6'' barrels in the sub compacts, might just be being over protective of their liabilities. They do offer an extended ported barrel in lots of calibers though
      x2

but dont they also offer the conversion for .45 ACP too?

i know with the Glock 30, you can convert it to ANY of the other Glock calibers with the conversion kits (.22LR, 9mm, S&W.40, 10mm, .357 SIG).

plus the Glock 30 & Glock 29 are the EXACT size (like the G26 & G27) but are just different calibers.

Vehicles
      95 VW Getta GLS
      03-22-2011 02:52 AM #9
      The lugs will not allow you to put a G20 6" barrel in a G29.

The G20 is the platform for that 6" hunting barrel. Bought mine for deer.