Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recaro seat repair options.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      01-23-2011 04:17 AM #1
      Alright guys, first and foremost, I searched all over and came up with nothing. The FAQS don't have a write-up on this issue and I'd post this in the 337/20th/GLI forum but it doesn't move for ****. I figured you guys can provide me with some insight since the Recaros are commonly swapped into the non-special edition mk4's. Anyway, what have you guys done to repair the bottom bolster part? You know, the one that holds your ass in place. Mine is in need of replacement because I'm afraid that getting in and out of the car will wear the cloth since it's down to the metal portion of the seat. I looked into buying a replacement bolster (if I can even find one) and they're pretty expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative? Maybe mocking one up from a gti sport seat? I have no idea but any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks home-fries!
      Fs. Corrado Oettinger Side Skirts and Rear Valance. PM me!

Vehicles
      1999.5 Indigo Blue Golf 2 door 2.0 (Sold) 98 Jetta GL (Project)
      01-23-2011 09:51 AM #2
      So the foam is worn down, so that the cloth is rubbing on just metal? Or am I not understanding you correctly?
      Quote Originally Posted by die65cast View Post
      Hookers do make you lower, but tend to leave your car with rake when they're in the trunk.
      SHAKE WEIGHT STYLE!
      8V Society #304
      Nick

3. 01-23-2011 11:06 AM #3
      Just fixed the same problem last night with mine. The drivers side seat bolster was split and the metal support was poking through and I didn't want to cause more damage to the fabric. After I took it apart I found that the foam was just split so for now I went with an easy fix. I sprayed Loc-tite in between the split and pressed them back together. I then used long strips of duct tape that went around the bolster. Seems like it will hold up fine until I get replacement bottom foam.

Vehicles
      evo 8
      01-23-2011 11:59 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ahtimma3b View Post
      Just fixed the same problem last night with mine. The drivers side seat bolster was split and the metal support was poking through and I didn't want to cause more damage to the fabric. After I took it apart I found that the foam was just split so for now I went with an easy fix. I sprayed Loc-tite in between the split and pressed them back together. I then used long strips of duct tape that went around the bolster. Seems like it will hold up fine until I get replacement bottom foam.

my driver's seat is identical to that! is there a diy to removing/replacing the cover? or could you pm me with some advice? thanks

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      01-23-2011 12:17 PM #5
      ^^^
      yup, that's exactly what's happening. There used to be a write-up about it but I'm guessing it was removed or I may have overlooked it which I'm sure I didn't. Seems like a common problem with the recaro seats. How does the locktite and duct tape fix feel? Were you able to get it back into it's original shape?

6. 01-23-2011 12:42 PM #6
      You honestly cannot feel that much of a difference compared to the good side but in any case it is 100 times better than it was. You just want to make sure the duct tape goes the full length from the inner side of the bolster all the way around the top and then down the outside. Do this the entire length of the split to help reduce the possibility of the duct tape coming loose and the split happening again.
      Assuming you have the seat out of the vehicle you simply take off the recliner knob and seat height adjuster then continue to remove the lower plastic trim around the bottom of the seat. Take your time and see how things are fastened so you don't start breaking clips. After you have the bottom plastic trim off there is a plastic strip on the back edge of the fabric on the lower cushion that can be pulled down and out. Continue to pull this out all around the seat and you will be able to flip the fabric up to check out the damage. If you need some help lmk I can take some more pictures for a better understanding.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      01-23-2011 01:36 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ahtimma3b View Post
      You honestly cannot feel that much of a difference compared to the good side but in any case it is 100 times better than it was. You just want to make sure the duct tape goes the full length from the inner side of the bolster all the way around the top and then down the outside. Do this the entire length of the split to help reduce the possibility of the duct tape coming loose and the split happening again.
      Assuming you have the seat out of the vehicle you simply take off the recliner knob and seat height adjuster then continue to remove the lower plastic trim around the bottom of the seat. Take your time and see how things are fastened so you don't start breaking clips. After you have the bottom plastic trim off there is a plastic strip on the back edge of the fabric on the lower cushion that can be pulled down and out. Continue to pull this out all around the seat and you will be able to flip the fabric up to check out the damage. If you need some help lmk I can take some more pictures for a better understanding.
      Great, thanks for the contribution. Pictures would be cool for all of us.

Toronto, Ontario - Buffalo/Niagara Falls, New York
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8T TIP
      01-23-2011 01:53 PM #8
      just a thought, maybe check out the DIY about adding the heat elements to the mk4 NA recaro seats to see if that can give insight (pics i believe can be found in that thread) on removing the fabric

twitter: @dionsingh

looking for a house -----> http://www.househuntingintoronto.com...search_mls.htm <----- looking for a house

Vehicles
      evo 8
      01-23-2011 02:14 PM #9
      found this in the 3/2/g forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ht=recaro+foam

helpful, but pictures would still be awesome.
      On a side note, my driver's seat in my 20th is slightly turned right (i think) causing my bolster to rest on my parking brake handle. has this happened to anyone else?