Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Havok's Nugget Yellow eventually VR6T build thread

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      03-20-2011 09:12 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      They are nice in a proper car.... a mk1.
      This ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeerado View Post
      Some people just like rare things, vr6 and 1.8t is NOT rare in any way...
      ...and this ^^

And I wouldn't exactly call 1 bar, "boosting the hell out of it"
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      03-20-2011 01:17 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      I never understood why people "build" g60 C's, AND keep the g charger. Its a **** 8v to begin with, then add an unreliable supercharger & boost the hell out of it. Its a total waste of time, effort and $ imo. All for what, 220 whp on a good day w/ the gcharger wound the hell out?

For less $, you could swap in a oem 1.8t and have a more powerful motor with 1000% better potential. So many better options than wasting $ on a G60/PG setup. Not being a dick, I just honestly never understood it why people go through the hassle for hardly any power gain. Bang for your buck wise..it makes no sense.
      Hey we are all entitled to our opinion and as for the 1.8t platfor in my opinion is garbage. I like the classic g60, I am doing this for fun and the money isn't an issue.

The car was never intended to be a daily driver and I get bored very easily so this thing should keep me busy for a while and don't tell me the VR6 or 1.8T are any more reliable or this forum would have this or this as an optional emoticon.

Now back to the grind. Removed everything but the block this morning. Easy as pie when you have the proper tools and lift. Gonna hit the garage later today to pull the rest out but for now I have to go run errands with the old lady.

Cheers peeps
      Guru Motorsports / europeein

Vehicles
      03-20-2011 01:22 PM #73
      Oh and one more thing... I have two sets of rims coming in this week. Scored a set of 16" Ronal ACT's shipped for 500.00 from Kansas and I SCORED a set of Ronal Turbo's still in the original packaging from when they were purchased by a gentlemen back in the 80's for his Jaguar.

The price you ask? haha 405.00 shipped from Reno
      Last edited by HavokRuels; 04-05-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      03-20-2011 01:26 PM #74
      So why would you want to build a motor to only run 1 bar of boost? The stg4 kit is 16+ psi. Thats over 1 bar right there.

Also, the g60/pg isnt really rare, they are pretty common. Its just a very limited setup that most guys looking for power, don't use. Im not praising other motors, im simply stating that obviously if the guy is looking at building a motor and going with stg4 g60 setup, he wants to go fast. There are much better options to go fast for less $, with far better performamce. I don't wanna start a g60 vs "
      " argument...so I'll leave it at that i guess.

I understand the fact that some people want originality, and to keep the pg setup..but if thats the case, why not keep it oem+ and make it last longer by not pushing the limits of a bad design? either way, op. good luck in whatever you do. Just stating my opinion while trying to gain a little insight on the subject.

Vehicles
      03-20-2011 01:32 PM #75
      So why would you want to build a motor to only run 1 bar of boost? The stg4 kit is 16+ psi. Thats over 1 bar right there.

Also, the g60/pg isnt really rare, they are pretty common. Its just a very limited setup that most guys looking for power, don't use. Im not praising other motors, im simply stating that obviously if the guy is looking at building a motor and going with stg4 g60 setup, he wants to go fast. There are much better options to go fast for less $, with far better performamce. I don't wanna start a g60 vs "
      " argument...so I'll leave it at that i guess.

I understand the fact that some people want originality, and to keep the pg setup..but if thats the case, why not keep it oem+ and make it last longer by not pushing the limits of a bad design? either way, op. good luck in whatever you do. Just stating my opinion while trying to gain a little insight on the subject.
      Bro I didn't say it's rare and/or that I want to go fast, I just want to max out it's potential that's all. No big deal

The car is well above the stock HP levels anyway. Who knows, it may already have better internals??? I will find out when it gets disassembled.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      03-20-2011 02:02 PM #76
      I was responding to someone else, but do what you do man, no harm intended

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      03-20-2011 05:25 PM #77
      I was responding to someone else, but do what you do man, no harm intended
      He was responding to me

Ok 16 psi is like 1,1bar - still that's not "boosting to hell". A "stg 4" G60 is well within the motors/g-lader capabilites/tolerances and if regular maintened the s/charger could easily give you a lot carefree miles.

You're right tho, no point in threadjacking by starting an argument. Its all in personal preferences anyhow, personally I think a 200whp G60 in a FWD car is fun, especially for someone who's not really looking for crazy hp #

... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      03-20-2011 05:54 PM #78
      Yeah regardless of what motor is in the Rado....It's a fun little car to restore. And in all fairness, the 1.8T is a much more affordable platform for higher HP, I just don;t trust one unless it's been disassembled, inspected and upgraded internally.
      Last edited by HavokRuels; 03-20-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      03-20-2011 06:05 PM #79
      indeed, thats all I was saying...thought you were looking for good power, and 1.8 would be a better platform. regardless, its your car and you should do what makes you happy The G can be fun I suppose.

btw RYW, I didnt realize stg4 g60 was only 16psi when typed that, i thought it was upwards of 20psi, thats why I said the high boost comment.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      03-21-2011 03:15 AM #80
      I never understood why people "build" g60 C's, AND keep the g charger. Its a **** 8v to begin with, then add an unreliable supercharger & boost the hell out of it. Its a total waste of time, effort and $ imo. All for what, 220 whp on a good day w/ the gcharger wound the hell out?
      The same applies to us N/A nuts.

For less $, you could swap in a oem 1.8t and have a more powerful motor with 1000% better potential. So many better options than wasting $ on a G60/PG setup. Not being a dick, I just honestly never understood it why people go through the hassle for hardly any power gain. Bang for your buck wise..it makes no sense.
      We're speaking Corrados here, such an argument does not apply.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      03-21-2011 11:55 AM #81
      But N/A is just more reliable. Every one I know who has a turbo R is always in the shop.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      03-21-2011 12:48 PM #82
      F/I can be just as reliable, people just don't know how to care for it correctly. If you need a shop, then you shouldn't own a turbo car, its just gonna cost you a ton of $.
      Lets let this guy get back to his thread tho.

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 08:51 PM #83
      Back to the task at hand gents. Last night I went back to the shop and finished up the engine removal. Here are the pics.

Nothing exciting lol
      Today I removed the entire ac/heating unit, opened it up and cleaned everything out. Since I have deleted the AC, I removed the core from the box. I will also be using only window defrost so the rest of the vent tubing will not be going back in.

I re-assembled everything and siliconed in select areas for a tight seal. I have a new blower motor and ordered a new heater core and resistor.

Next up is disassembly of motor, send out block and head for cleaning and inspection.

Vehicles
      03-22-2011 10:00 PM #84
      UPS delivered my 16" Ronal ACT's in their original packaging. I was shocked to see that they look like they have never been mounted except for a tiny black ring around the outer edge from the tire bead. A steal for 350.00 shipped. I will post pics tomorrow

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-22-2011 10:13 PM #85
      For future reference, it is 100x's easier to take the engine and trans out at once. and it is 300x's easier to install them both at once Just remove the inner CV joint bolts.
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      03-22-2011 10:19 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      For future reference, it is 100x's easier to take the engine and trans out at once. and it is 300x's easier to install them both at once Just remove the inner CV joint bolts.
      Hey now, one thing at a time...

Vehicles
      03-23-2011 08:41 AM #87
      Pics of the 1st set. Got the Ronal Turbo's coming in this week too

Last edited by HavokRuels; 03-23-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro S-Line
      03-23-2011 01:21 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by iMD Autos View Post
      Hey we are all entitled to our opinion and as for the 1.8t platfor in my opinion is garbage. I like the classic g60, I am doing this for fun and the money isn't an issue.

The car was never intended to be a daily driver and I get bored very easily so this thing should keep me busy for a while and don't tell me the VR6 or 1.8T are any more reliable or this forum would have this or this as an optional emoticon.
      I respect your choice to stick with a G60 engine but your points made are amusing. Saying the 1.8t is garbage when it managed to stick around and be installed in a lot more cars than the G60 ever did and was never the reason a great car saw its early demise. In fact the 1.8t powered some great cars for VAG. Its far from perfect but what VW motor really is. Not like they are a true engine company.

The VR6 and 1.8T are more reliable than the G60. Hell even if you look them up on Wikipedia they don't say this > Contrary to expectations, Volkswagen's designs turned out to need relatively frequent repair in normal operation, which was one of the reasons why that manufacturer eventually abandoned this technology at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Lader

I don't care much for the 1.8t either and that's why I didn't buy a TT with one in it. I wouldn't waste the time putting one in a Corrado personally. I'd rather have a 16vt or a VR.

Its cool that you like the G60 and your rebuilding it. It would be sad if too many were swapped to other motors and I was guilty of doing that. I just couldn't stand the G60 anymore after 20 years of it. Hell I didn't like it that much after one year of it.
      Last edited by dogger; 03-24-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      03-23-2011 11:33 PM #89

Now back to the grind. Removed everything but the block this morning. Easy as pie when you have the proper tools and lift. Gonna hit the garage later today to pull the rest out but for now I have to go run errands with the old lady.

Cheers peeps
      The VR6 engine is more reliable than the G60 engine.

There, I said it. And it's true. Largely due to VW not telling dealers and their service departments that the G-charger required maintenance after about 30,000miles. As such, many blew up by 50k due to lack of knowledge on the part of the dealer network and the customer.

That said, the VR6 has been one of VW's most reliable motors over the decades - all it needs are oil changes for the first 100k. Major issues generally do not take place until after 100k when the chains need to be replaced along with all the plastic cooling bits and various sensors.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      03-24-2011 09:01 AM #90
      Gents I completely understand where you are coming from however in my case, I want simple and I want to keep the g60 platform for the vehicle.

Based on running a repair shop, I am not too enthusiastic about any VW/Audi engine however I love the freakin cars! Catch 22

Vehicles
      03-25-2011 03:47 PM #91
      Got my Ronal Turbo's in today. Never been mounted since originally purchased in the 80's

Vehicles
      03-25-2011 04:18 PM #92
      [QUOTE=iMD Autos;70648003]Pics of the 1st set.

and...

Got my Ronal Turbo's in today. Never been mounted since originally purchased in the 80's

Specs on both sets?
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup, 2005 Passat TDI wagon, 1990 Corrado
      03-25-2011 04:31 PM #93

I love these wheels, they look great on Corrados!!!!

Vehicles
      03-25-2011 08:45 PM #94
      Ronal Turbo:

7J x 15H2
      5 x 120
      ET23

Ronal ACT:

7.5J x 16H2
      5 x 114
      E35

Vehicles
      03-27-2011 01:00 PM #95
      What do you guys think about houndstooth for the center of my seats and the door cards?

26. 03-27-2011 01:43 PM #96
      assuming the rest of the seats will be black...
      1998 GTi Vr6 Turbo Tornado Red
      2008 Jetta I5 2.5L Campanella White

Vehicles
      03-28-2011 06:56 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by -:VW:- View Post
      assuming the rest of the seats will be black...
      Yep all black interior.

BTW I am replacing the wiring in my engine bay due to it all being dry and cracked in numerous areas and I have a question:

Doing a wire tuck and wanted to know if anyone has resources for purchasing pigtails for all of the lighting??

Vehicles
      03-29-2011 07:34 PM #98
      Got my Miele cross flow heater core, blower motor and my blower motor resistor in today from autohauaz.com today and I have to say I am very pleased with the site. The prices are amazing and even lower than I can get parts through my shop

Gonna install all of it tomorrow and then mount the heater box back in. Only using the defrost portion as it will not be a daily driver.

Next up, remove everything from the engine bay to start cleaning it out, shave and repaint.

Vehicles
      03-30-2011 08:08 PM #99
      All wiring is removed from the engine bay. I couldn't believe how much of it was just for the ABS system.

03-30-2011 08:18 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      Ronal Turbo:

7J x 15H2
      5 x 120
      ET23

Ronal ACT:

7.5J x 16H2
      5 x 114
      E35
      you realize those probably wont fit either, right?
      Raven
      92 Corrado VR6t | 93 Corrado SLC | 90 Miata (because racecar)
      DCC - Detroit Corrado Club

Vehicles
      03-30-2011 08:23 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      you realize those probably wont fit either, right?
      Those won't be going on the car. The Turbos will be put away and the ACT's are up for sale.

03-30-2011 08:38 PM #102
      ... oh. ok.
      Raven
      92 Corrado VR6t | 93 Corrado SLC | 90 Miata (because racecar)
      DCC - Detroit Corrado Club

Vehicles
      03-30-2011 08:44 PM #103
      More than likely I will go this route: 16x8 et32 front, 16x9 et28 rear

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      03-30-2011 09:59 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      More than likely I will go this route: 16x8 et32 front, 16x9 et28 rear
      With spacers right?
      SPOONFEDTUNING - For all of your carbon fiber Corrado needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.
      Is society really getting dumber or is it just this forum?

Vehicles
      03-30-2011 10:03 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      With spacers right?
      I've seen this set up in the mothers horoscope thread with no spacers. Fenders weren't rolled so if I roll my fenders, I am open to suggestions on exactly what I should buy for the perfect wheel stance

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast