Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Abs asr light on...problem fixed!! (2001 vr6)

Vehicles
      86 1.8 Jetta Sold, 96 2.0 Jetta Sold, 97 2.0 Jetta Sold, 01 vr6 Jetta Sold, 01 Passat b5 cuurent
      01-25-2011 05:40 PM #1
      hey guys. for the last couple weeks my ABS and ASR light have been on. searching for solutions i found a lot of different problem areas and resoltuions along with a lot of people in general having this issue. I was able to fix the problem by simply sanding clean the contact points on the speed sensors/discs and just wanted to share my info for future searchers.

my light came on during the last snow fall in seattle. i didnt crash or anything but the ASR was kicking in a lot. seeing how it was working at first but the light stayed on afterwards i figured it wasnt the abs module. i went to my local shop and checked on here for things to check. this is a basic list.. speed sensors on wheel and thier contact points (check for solid wiring), fuses on top of battery, abs module itself possibly needing just a cleaning.

if you've done work on suspension you might have pulled the sensor loose
      or if you are using extended lug bolts that could possibly be contributing.

in my case i just took off my front wheels and checked the sensors to make sure they were clean and tight. they looked good but in between the sensor and the disc there was a decent amount of gunk/build up. possibly a layer of rust making for a bad connection? i folded a sheet of sand paper and lightly cleaned the sensor surface and thats all it took. problem solved and lights are off.

before i did any of this i called my local dealer with my vin# in hand and requested any "outstanding recalls" on this car. they are obligated to tell you. my car did not meet the year/model that they had the abs recall on and im not sure which ones do but it doesnt hurt to check.

Vehicles
      86 1.8 Jetta Sold, 96 2.0 Jetta Sold, 97 2.0 Jetta Sold, 01 vr6 Jetta Sold, 01 Passat b5 cuurent
      01-25-2011 06:40 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by GTINC View Post
      Not clear with your terminology, but the system at the wheel has two main parts.

The sensors (proximity) are mounted to the upright and are fixed (do not rotate with the wheels). They are electrical and have a harness to the car's control system.

The other part is a signal disc that is on the back side of the brake rotor and rotates with the wheel. It is a thin plate with a series of slots. The disc does not touch the sensor, of course.

As the slot passes in front of the sensor, it is counted. A change in rate of slots passing in front of the sensor indicates the wheel speed is different than the signals from the other wheels.

These slots must be kept clean of debris.
      yeah sorry about wording. but this is what i am talking about. in my case i only had to clean the sensor and not the disc. i figured it was something similar to counting the slots but hadnt actually gotten/searched into specifics about its workings since i was wishing for an easy fix.

this one was a freebee so im a little scared for the next incident.

Vehicles
      01-25-2011 06:42 PM #3
      All legitimate recalls are in the public record and available to anyone with access to the internet. Using the key words "recall" and "auto" will provide a number of direct links.
      well its good to know now. i have found some links just by searching google. i just figured the dealership would be a b!t#h about it since they have with my brother heater core and the tech i was speaking to was not to fond of the dealership he worked 10 years for.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat W8 6 speed
      01-25-2011 06:57 PM #4
      I just got this yesterday, then I cleared it and it stayed off until the drive home today when it would come on, then next time I'd start the car only the ABS light came on for like a min, then turned off, then both came back on, then next place I stopped they went off again.

Yesterday I got a " fault in circuit" and today it's "mechanical malfunction". Hopefully some cleaning will fix it like it did yours.
      \\_\__\___http://lowdownlabs.com/ ___/__/_//
      Passat W8 Sport 6 speed manual
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM
      SpeedTuning USA Stage 2 | B6 S4 calipers | S5 rotors | Stop Tech Pads

Vehicles
      01-25-2011 07:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sdavis872 View Post
      I just got this yesterday, then I cleared it and it stayed off until the drive home today when it would come on, then next time I'd start the car only the ABS light came on for like a min, then turned off, then both came back on, then next place I stopped they went off again.

Yesterday I got a " fault in circuit" and today it's "mechanical malfunction". Hopefully some cleaning will fix it like it did yours.

yeah i nkow i got off lucky. i would say start with the small stuff like cleaning. and then possibly replacing sensors since i think they right around $22.00

anyone feel free to correct me but if your getting different codes/ flashing then all parts in play should be good and a variable like loose wiring or dirt will probably be the problem.

Vehicles
      01-25-2011 07:55 PM #6
      I have just the opposite issue. The VW dealer keeps sending me reminders on recalls I have not brought the car in for and always ask me if i want them done when I have the car in for something.

No VW dealer is going to hassle the customer on a legitimate recall if the customer acts at all human-like.
      yeah i probably shouldnt assume. i have just heard multiple stories of bad dealership experiences. not to mention when me and my girl were looking at a car for her we were shown a trashed jetta, molding falling off, workers food wrapers in the car, and tried to sell me on the fact that it was that grey/green color that is a little more limited. i jsut took it as a sign of how they do business.