Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The Volkswagen XL1 Concept

1. 01-26-2011 09:49 AM #1
      Volkswagen is moving one-step closer to a production version of their "1-liter" car - a vehicle that can consume 1 liter of fuel per 100 km (235mpg) - with the debut of the XL1 at the Qatar Motor Show. The XL1 represents the third version of VW's ongoing goal to build a 1-liter consumption vehicle and is approaching near-production level fit, trim and finish. With gull-wing doors, Lamborghini height and Polo length and width, this eco-vehicle has a bit more "attitude" than you would expect from something that gets 235mpg+.

The XL1 is a plug-in hybrid consisting of a two-cyliner TDI engine (48 horsepower) and a 20kw electric motor providing an additional 27 horsepower. The 103 lb-ft of combined torque of both motors can accelerate the XL1 from 0-62mph (0-100km) in 11.9 seconds. Electricity is stored in a lithium-ion battery pack and power is routed through a 7-speed DSG transmission. Volkswagen claims they are able to achieve fuel consumption of only 0.9l per 100km (261 mpg) while only emitting 24 g/km of CO2. The XL1 can travel up to 21 miles in full electric zero emissions mode.

VWvortex Article and Photos

Do you think it will ever make it to production?

- Phillip @ Jack Daniels Motors
      Jack Daniels Motors, North Jersey
      Audi, Kia, Porsche, Volkswagen
      JackDanielsMotors.com
      Facebook
      Twitter

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      01-26-2011 10:09 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by JackDanielsMotors View Post
      Volkswagen has revised the 1L concept and created the XL1! This looks so nice in the renderings and has a greater mpg than the 1L (238 mpg vs 261 mpg). Check out this article from Wired.com!

Do you think it will ever make it to production?

- Phillip @ Jack Daniels Motors
      Sadly no. This car is old news. The car was developed to explore extreme mileage tests only.
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit & Lexus 3GS
      01-26-2011 12:16 PM #3
      Is that Dubai in the background, or somewhere in China?

4. Banned
      Vehicles
      some lms, and some rms
      01-26-2011 05:34 PM #4
      that car will never get made

5. 01-26-2011 05:53 PM #5
      VW and VWOA you spend MILLONS on developing these concepts, and here is an answer to the proposed $5.00/gallon issue. BUILD it!

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      01-27-2011 05:49 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post
      Sadly no. This car is old news. The car was developed to explore extreme mileage tests only.
      How is this car old news, exactly?

Sure, it will only be sold in limited numbers - but that is true of every single EV or RE-EV, today.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-27-2011 08:55 AM #7
      Maybe I missed it in the article, but will this be available in the U.S. and anyone have any price guesstimates?

8. 01-27-2011 09:24 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Maybe I missed it in the article, but will this be available in the U.S. and anyone have any price guesstimates?
      This is a revision of the 1L concept that VW made a few years ago, this is a slightly bigger (since it is a 2 seater) and sightly more efficient concept car called the XL1, so the news is it looks better and saves more, but i don't think it is close to becoming a production vehicle.

What do you guys think of the styling?
      JackDanielsMotors.com
      Facebook
      Twitter

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      01-27-2011 09:34 AM #9
      This car would be the ultimate commuter, though I'd worry about safety on the roads with all the SUVs and people in a hurry.

Since this is a highly efficient car that actually makes sense to build, it will never see the light of day.

10. 01-28-2011 10:16 AM #10
      I hope they carry out this plan, and hopefully they will keep roughly that timetable. That is very good news.
      JackDanielsMotors.com
      Facebook
      Twitter

Vehicles
      2000, VW Jetta now 2006 VW Jetta MKIV Soccer and 1992 Jetta CaratEdition
      01-28-2011 07:22 PM #11
      I think that Volkswagen AG found the correct path to realize that kind of car.
      The only problem is that car is oriented to a particular and exclusive market
      when the real problem is with the daily cars, not a fancy sport car.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      01-28-2011 10:54 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jvonn View Post
      that car will never get made
      "VW CEO Martin Winterkorn identified the XL1's first markets in an interview at the same event. "We will bring out the XL1 in Europe first, initially Germany. The U.S. and China will follow at a later date," he said.

Winterkorn said there were plans are initially for a "small production run,” while VW development chief Ulrich Hackenberg said up to 100 XL1 cars
      "

How is it they can make a limited run of 100 of these yet we can't get the Golf TDI Twin Drive?

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      01-29-2011 12:48 PM #13
      F%#K YES!

Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan 2000 Range Rover
      01-29-2011 02:54 PM #14
      I hope they do not produce this with that sheet metal.Remember this!!

Lets try to be a tad more original VW.

15. 01-29-2011 08:31 PM #15
      VW has been playing around with this concept for a long time, but I can see why they hadn't brought it to production. With the improved Tech that is currently available they can now create a bit more of a traditional car with more width allowing side-by-side seating while still achieving their efficiency goals.

At 100 units I see this as a publicity stunt to say "Ja, vee can do zis and sell it" to the rest of world, but I wouldn't be surprised if they up that number substantially as higher fuel prices in the years ahead spur interest in such vehicles.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      01-30-2011 12:08 AM #16
      I suspect that this is a car that VW is smartly using as a testbed to showcase all of their various fuel saving technologies with the goal of eventually integrating parts of it into their mainstream cars (or all the technologies in one package as a separate model like a Prius) at some point in the future once costs come down enough to make it viable (and not insanely expensive). As it stands, I'm sure the limited production run thing is because all of the cutting edge fuel saving tech they're cramming into this car doesn't come cheaply.

After a certain point (in price), the media loves to point out that you're spending more money on the car than you would save over the car's expected lifespan on gas, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the car to begin with. I feel like that's probably why VW has stayed away from hybrids until recently (and probably only caved in because hybrids are so darn popular). I mean, look at the price of a Touareg Hybrid ($60k), it costs $12k more than the TDI model ($48k) and gets 2 mpg better city and 3 mpg worse highway. I think most of us would rather just own the TDI.

I have no problem with VW deciding to wait to release a mainstream XL1 until the materials and production methods are cheap enough to justify an affordable price, because really who among us would buy this thing if it costs two to three times the price of a Passat? (Maybe famous people looking to up their eco-credentials, which would actually be kind of entertaining to see VW beat Toyota's Prius at its own "green image" game.) I think they've been taking their time developing this concept for a good reason. It might be a while before they produce something like this concept in significant numbers (like their standard models), but I bet it'll be worth the wait if it can perform even half as well as the concept does for a competitive entry price the normal consumer can afford.

Vehicles
      yellow 20th, 96 harlequin, jsw tdi
      01-30-2011 04:52 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 30th_edition View Post
      I hope they do not produce this with that sheet metal.Remember this!!

Lets try to be a tad more original VW.
      probably one of the ugliest cars ever produced
      CORNSTATUS | MKIII Magazine | #BurnAllTheMK3s | HARLEQUIN | IG: @eric_englot
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      You've never taken a satisfying dump until you've squatted down somewhere outside during a full moon night on top of a fresh snowfall, with the cool crisp winter air carressing your balls.
      Best dump I ever had!

18. 02-01-2011 12:57 PM #18
      This thing is beautiful, straight out of a sci-fi movie...I'm such a geek
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta GT, 2.0; 2002 T4 EuroVan GL 2.8 24v; 2004 New Beetle GL, 1.8T
      02-02-2011 08:43 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
      Is that Dubai in the background, or somewhere in China?

The skyline is actually the capital of Qatar: Doha.
      Pretty cool, eh....lots of Mid-East cities look that futuristic now (they thank you for buying their oil).
      Here is Dubai for comparison:

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 1990 Corrado G60, 1988 Jetta Coupé (Gone but not forgotten)
      02-04-2011 07:38 PM #20
      I like the look of this one much better than the L1. Don't get me wrong, the mpg is amazing, but I really don't care, since a car like this will only see the light of day when Jay Leno opens his garage. I'd still rather have the GX3 over this thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      They ended up buying my Corrado, I offered to sell them my Bentley. But they didn't want to spend the $40 I was selling it for. Poor bastards.
      SpoonfedTuningdubNationColorado Junk Yards

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      02-04-2011 08:43 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Mac n Cheez View Post
      probably one of the ugliest cars ever produced
      Eye-of-the-beholder stuff.

Respectfully disagree, as I've owned one for ten years, and in the flesh (I meant, in the aluminum alloy metal) it's much more handsome than in pictures. People come up to me often, or pull up while driving and roll their windows down, and compliment me on the looks (there's not that many of them out there, so even after almost twelve years, they're incredibly rare) and invariably ask about the gas mileage. When they learn I can easily commute at 70+ mpg, with the acceleration of a Civic, it becomes even more beautiful...

Which brings up another point: The XL1 will mostly "copy" the Insight design, not as a tribute or homage, but simply following by aerodynamic principles: A passenger cabin designed ergonomically (e.g., people sitting reclining or upright instead of prone, face first), with storage room and some accommodation for an engine and for wheels, will by necessity emphasize a smooth, reasonably-pointy front end to funnel the airstream around, under, and over the car; a smooth profile on the sides, with cut lines sealed or narrowed; covered wheel openings, at least in back; and a kammback tail to eliminate mileage-robbing buffeting when the separated airstreams rejoin behind the vehicle. The Insight is so cleverly smoothed, I can drive at 70mph with the windows down, and there is no buffeting inside the cockpit... and where on my other vehicles rain drops fly off the windshield at that speed (I'm a huge Rain-X fan), on the Insight, the water rolls off slowly even at high speeds, leading me to believe the airstream is better directed around the car than in other designs. One thing on the concept I don't see in a production version: It may or may not have a glass cockpit, but for sure it'll have a glass back window. There's just no way a production automobile will have that huge a blindspot behind it, not as long as liability lawyers draw breath...

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      02-05-2011 06:11 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      I feel like that's probably why VW has stayed away from hybrids until recently (and probably only caved in because hybrids are so darn popular).
      Popular - in the press, or in real life? VW TDIs sell at twice the rate than Honda hybrids, and are slowly getting almost comparable in magnitude to Prius sales. But besides the Prius, no hybrids sell, and the only ones manufacturers are making a profit on are hybrid SUVs.

Many of these cars, including EVs and RE-EVs are still not only subsidized by governments (mainly the US and Japan), but also by the manufacturers. Batteries are still really, really expensive - of course much more so for EVs than hybrids. The Leaf and Volt are basically unavailable because the manufacturers are delaying production and lowering output because of expenses. Sure, things will change, but at a snails pace. As much as I like the Volt, a $45,000 compact 4-seater with very little cargo space is not really in my budget.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      02-05-2011 03:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      Popular - in the press, or in real life? VW TDIs sell at twice the rate than Honda hybrids, and are slowly getting almost comparable in magnitude to Prius sales. But besides the Prius, no hybrids sell, and the only ones manufacturers are making a profit on are hybrid SUVs.

Many of these cars, including EVs and RE-EVs are still not only subsidized by governments (mainly the US and Japan), but also by the manufacturers. Batteries are still really, really expensive - of course much more so for EVs than hybrids. The Leaf and Volt are basically unavailable because the manufacturers are delaying production and lowering output because of expenses. Sure, things will change, but at a snails pace. As much as I like the Volt, a $45,000 compact 4-seater with very little cargo space is not really in my budget.
      In the press mostly and in public perception. I don't think they sell very well either and to be honest, I personally agree with you and don't see them as very practical, but c'est la vie. I think VW's research dollars would be better spent on producing more TDI's instead of caving in to peer pressure and offering slow selling hybrids (because all the other automakers are doing it). Prior to now, VW's old policy was that diesel was the smart way to go and to heck with hybrids. Not sure why that's changed.

24. 02-07-2011 03:08 AM #24
      In a world of $3.50/gal. gas hybids will be somewhat popular along with diesel, but consider a $5 or $6/gal price. In the last few years, diesel has tended to climb in price along with gas. If you can go 30 or 40 miles on electricity before you need to burn expensive liquid fuels, such as with a plug-in hybrid, then you have a product that many people could run with little or no expensive liquid fuel. Another benefit to electric only propultion is the decreased dependence on foreign oil products.

For this car, a 35-40 mile electric range would be preferable for the US since we tend to drive farther. In a few years a 8 or 9 kw battery pack could cost the same as the 5 kw pack that they are proposing today and may actually be of similar or lighter weight as power densities per a given size/weight increase.

As I see it, all major auto makers are hedging their bets against an unpredictable future by having various technological solutions either available or ready to go into production on short notice.

Vehicles
      2012 VW turbo Beetle
      02-13-2011 05:55 AM #25
      Kind of reminds me of GMs disaster electric car from the 90's
      Gino Lomeli

estudioG design + interiors
      http://estudiog.wordpress.com/

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      02-13-2011 03:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Back2Dubs View Post
      In a world of $3.50/gal. gas hybids will be somewhat popular along with diesel, but consider a $5 or $6/gal price. In the last few years, diesel has tended to climb in price along with gas. If you can go 30 or 40 miles on electricity before you need to burn expensive liquid fuels, such as with a plug-in hybrid, then you have a product that many people could run with little or no expensive liquid fuel. Another benefit to electric only propultion is the decreased dependence on foreign oil products.

For this car, a 35-40 mile electric range would be preferable for the US since we tend to drive farther. In a few years a 8 or 9 kw battery pack could cost the same as the 5 kw pack that they are proposing today and may actually be of similar or lighter weight as power densities per a given size/weight increase.

As I see it, all major auto makers are hedging their bets against an unpredictable future by having various technological solutions either available or ready to go into production on short notice.
      But still the cost of replacing the batteries every few years really hits on the amount that you are saving in gas.

27. 02-19-2011 05:09 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurotuner. View Post
      But still the cost of replacing the batteries every few years really hits on the amount that you are saving in gas.
      Replacing batteries due to deteriorating charge holding capacity is more of an an issue with pure EVs because of the already limited range. In a hybrid such as this, decreased battery range wouldn't be much of an issue since it just means that the range extender would start up a bit sooner.

Toyota Prius batteries are still functioning well with over 200K so the potential to have a really long lasting batery is there. Depends on battery management, quality and chemistry of the batteries used.

Vehicles
      2004 jetta 2.0..2003 gli
      02-19-2011 08:04 PM #28
      yikes
      Instagram - your_sh!ts_weak_bro