VWVortex

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Diverter Valves

Vehicles
      mk1 Audi TT w/GT3076r Sold + mk4 2.8 VR6 Gli MINE 07 EOS 2.0t HERS
      03-12-2011 09:32 PM #36
      also how does the tial 50mm do?

03-13-2011 08:53 PM #37
      If you have to have one the aftermarket valves, the Synapse synchronic bov is the one to have nowadays.

It can be recirculated or vented to the atmosphere and be used in both pull or push orientation. Supposedly it's really fast and can hold BT pressure.

However, you can always go the madmax way, and have the same performance for a fraction of the cost.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 225 TTCQ
      03-16-2011 08:37 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by madmax199 View Post
      Omer, can you post a picture of the valve mounted. I'd like to see it on car without a dv relocation(if you don't have one). Thanks
      I'm not Omer but I did take some snap of My install. I,m installing a High flow manifold shortly, so I may do a more "clean" install afterward

03-16-2011 09:10 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Volksdude27 View Post
      I'm not Omer but I did take some snap of My install. I,m installing a High flow manifold shortly, so I may do a more "clean" install afterward

Cool, thanks!

I have afew questions?
      Did you get everything sorted out?
      How do like the Madmax valve in comparison to what you had before?

Vehicles
      Time Machine
      03-16-2011 10:58 PM #40
      Not that I have any facts to back it up, but I do enjoy my APR R1. It is just low profile, no springs to mess with. Kind of like a great upgrade from the OEM DV and guaranteed for life. I had a Forge 007 and messing with the springs was always a pain. And I was constantly relubing the piston with Mobil 1 syn grease. I just like the APR because its so easy and maintenance free.

Feels like it responds faster than the Forge did, but again only butt dyno data
      Hella4 | GermanPlates | Audi TT Bild | Freelance UI/Visual Designer

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 225 TTCQ
      03-17-2011 09:05 AM #41
      Cool, thanks!

I have afew questions?
      Did you get everything sorted out?
      How do like the Madmax valve in comparison to what you had before?
      Yeah, I did sort everything out, it has been a PITA tough to make everything fit as the valve needs to be placed opposite to a regular valve (boost on the bottom) and the overall, especially with the fittings makes the whole thing a lot bigger than a regular valve.

I'll say that the boost awnser is incredible compared to the forge valve I had before, you're right when you say pistons valves are lazy. The only thing I was afraid of was the "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound i was hearing that reminded me of a BOV I had on a previous car that was set too stiff and destroyed the turbo by sending back pressure to it. Other than that, this valve is awesomeness!!! I might develop one designed forr our cars that won't need all the fittings and will fit straight there

Quote Originally Posted by idwurks View Post
      Not that I have any facts to back it up, but I do enjoy my APR R1. It is just low profile, no springs to mess with. Kind of like a great upgrade from the OEM DV and guaranteed for life. I had a Forge 007 and messing with the springs was always a pain. And I was constantly relubing the piston with Mobil 1 syn grease. I just like the APR because its so easy and maintenance free.

The APR R1 works well, but personnaly, after I had to send him back the 3rd time for a defect, I quitted, Damn I had to buy a 710n to put one the car waiting for APR to redo the valve under warranty. Yeas there's a lifetime waranty on it, but hell, I had it on my car less time than it was being repaired....

03-17-2011 09:35 AM #42
      Yeah, I did sort everything out, it has been a PITA tough to make everything fit as the valve needs to be placed opposite to a regular valve (boost on the bottom) and the overall, especially with the fittings makes the whole thing a lot bigger than a regular valve.

I'll say that the boost awnser is incredible compared to the forge valve I had before, you're right when you say pistons valves are lazy. The only thing I was afraid of was the "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound i was hearing that reminded me of a BOV I had on a previous car that was set too stiff and destroyed the turbo by sending back pressure to it. Other than that, this valve is awesomeness!!! I might develop one designed forr our cars that won't need all the fittings and will fit straight there
      Good to hear it is working as intented.

The rapid "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound you are describing (we went trough this via PM but I'm posting the info so everyone knows) is typical of all diaphragm based valve. The reason you hear it more than a Bosh 710 is because this valve recirculate a lot more volume and is metallic. Plastic valves tend to be quieter but are not as heavy duty as their metallic counterparts.

As far as making the valve plug and play and fit better, I have all the required parts needed but the DIY guys like you have to come up with your own solutions.

03-17-2011 10:01 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by idwurks View Post

Any diaphragm valve(low mass) is going to respond faster than the piston types(heavy mass).

The problem with the aftermarket diaphragm valves designed for the 1.8t is:

1) They are not built for higher boost applications, anything over 15 psi they can not hold properly(soft springs)

2) They start to leak at early pressure(7-10 psi). Kind of like a wastegate, at a certain psi, they partially crack open, forcing the turbo to work extra hard to reach it's targeted boost(creating heat).

For a "stockish" car they are just fine, but the minute you get a tune they are weak at best .

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 225 TTCQ
      03-17-2011 11:01 AM #44
      As far as making the valve plug and play and fit better, I have all the required parts needed but the DIY guys like you have to come up with your own solutions.
      I mean build a valve from that design that would fit right there without adapters

I'll check what i can do and if the cost would be low enough to be a good solution

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 TTQ225, 2010 GTI DSG
      03-17-2011 01:00 PM #45
      Max - Sorry I havent posted pics, but in refreshing the suspension it seems like everything the shop took apart, subsequently broke and had to be replaced.

The DV kit Max sent me went in very easily. All the fittings and down sizing pieces were perfect and I would highly recommend anyone buying a DSM valve and sending it to Max for retrofit.

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 04:52 PM #46
      just wondering how do you know if your DV is not holding up?? what happens???

03-17-2011 05:02 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by bvgoosedd View Post
      just wondering how do you know if your DV is not holding up?? what happens???
      You don't know, and like most, probably assume the poor performance is the norm.

You'd have to test it, like I did (test for both spring holding pressure and recovery speed, especially at high psi)
      Or you can try a madmax valve and realize how much your previous valve was sucking at life .

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2011 05:32 PM #48
      You don't know, and like most, probably assume the poor performance is the norm.

You'd have to test it, like I did (test for both spring holding pressure and recovery speed, especially at high psi)
      Or you can try a madmax valve and realize how much your previous valve was sucking at life .

I am taking full credit for the "Madmax Valve" moniker.

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 05:43 PM #49
      can it cus your boost to like buzz. like 22-24-20-23-21-24psi type thing. also feel like crap at ideal?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2011 05:51 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by bvgoosedd View Post
      can it cus your boost to like buzz. like 22-24-20-23-21-24psi type thing. also feel like crap at ideal?

yes, those could all be symptoms of a DV issue. They could also be explained by a boost leak though. What kind of DV are you using now?

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 06:05 PM #51
      hyperboost but i am big turbo. if that makes a difference

03-17-2011 09:13 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by omerkm1 View Post
      I am taking full credit for the "Madmax Valve" moniker.
      I give credit where credit is due, you are the one that came up with the term "Madmax DV" for the TT, you can also give yourself credit to be the first one to rocking it(mine was the prototype) .

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2011 11:54 PM #53
      I give credit where credit is due, you are the one that came up with the term "Madmax DV" for the TT, you can also give yourself credit to be the first one to rocking it(mine was the prototype) .

you guys are starting to make me wish I lived on the other coast. Not much love for the TT and all its madness in the NW. I was supposed to be in upstate NY next month but that race got cancelled, now it maybe early summer next time I am out there.

Thanks for all the help.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2011 01:08 AM #54
      Omer, can you post a picture of the valve mounted. I'd like to see it on car without a dv relocation(if you don't have one). Thanks

here you go....

Photobucket

Photobucket

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 225 TTCQ
      03-19-2011 01:48 AM #55
      here you go....

Photobucket

Photobucket

how come that your pressure tube at the top of the valve is in front? mine is at the back and I had to extend the rubber tube a lot to make it fit (anyway, I'll take care of that with my SAI-N249 delete anyway)

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2011 11:47 AM #56
      how come that your pressure tube at the top of the valve is in front? mine is at the back and I had to extend the rubber tube a lot to make it fit (anyway, I'll take care of that with my SAI-N249 delete anyway)

I will let Max answer that, my install instructions were just to remove old DV and re-install new DV in a identical fashion. I think it looks pretty cool sitting up that high but it also means that the engine cover doesnt fit. It might have to do with already having a forge DV installed? I bought the car and have slowly found more and more parts that the original owner had swapped out.

03-19-2011 12:32 PM #57
      You have the wrong variation (for the TT) of the same valve.

Although identical in function, the valves designed for EVO 9 and MR have a different nipple orientation than the valves on the JDM evo and EVO X(mainly because of different piping location on the various motors).

I could have told you what type to get for the best fit, but Omer already had a patent on the Madmax valve .

Try opening and flipping the nipple 360 degrees, bang your head a little bit and rotate it another 180 .
      Last edited by madmax199; 03-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.

03-19-2011 12:38 PM #58
      Omer, thanks for the pics .
      The install looks clean.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2011 12:40 PM #59
      Omer, thanks for the pics .
      The install looks clean.
      Yeah, it was super easy. It will be fun to report back how 20+psi of boost makes the DV behave. Best thing so far is the improved throttle response and reduction in surging.

Vehicles
      '02 TT 225Q
      03-19-2011 03:34 PM #60
      Can anyone tell me how this compares to the Forge Splitter valve?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2011 03:47 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by tt_kcalb_nevar View Post

I had a 007 which is probably similar to your splitter valve. Its like night and day with the Madmax DV. No more surging and you hit boost much more quickly after shifting.

03-19-2011 04:17 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by tt_kcalb_nevar View Post
      Not in the same league .

Forge 007 ---------Slooooow
      Forge splitter ----Slooooow with a horn to remind you that it's slow
      Madmax dv-------Everything that these valves lack

Vehicles
      '02 TT 225Q
      03-19-2011 04:28 PM #63
      Not in the same league .

Forge 007 ---------Slooooow
      Forge splitter ----Slooooow with a horn to remind you that it's slow
      Madmax dv-------Everything that these valves lack

Hehe, Thanks Omer and Madmax, ok I guess the Splitter is going into the classifieds!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 225 TTCQ
      03-19-2011 04:40 PM #64
      Yeah, it was super easy. It will be fun to report back how 20+psi of boost makes the DV behave. Best thing so far is the improved throttle response and reduction in surging.

I can tell from 20+ psi, and it rooocks!!!

Damn if I had a camera...

03-19-2011 11:56 PM #65
      I can tell from 20+ psi, and it rooocks!!!

Damn if I had a camera...
      Yes, being able to hold 35+ psi without leaking a drop of boost- while keeping faster than stock response and recovery is the reason I built this valve.

High boost is where it really shined above the rest.

I tested the valve up to 45 psi(we stopped at 45 because we feared of blowing the worm clamps on the tester) and it held without cracking open. What is really amazing to me is that low boost and part throttle are not affected at all, if anything they improved over stock.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT-R 225Q, 2009 VW Tiguan SE, 2000 Passat GLS 30v V6 Wagon
      03-20-2011 08:43 AM #66
      still have more of these? The more I close up my system, get connections tighter and the more boost I hold....the more I've started hated my Strat valve each time. If this woud solve the problem...that'd be great.

Always have felt piston valves...while less prone to wear/tear and ripping vs. diaphrapm...and "look" good.....are SLOW and suck.

Options are nice.

Looking to do this and I actually have a DV relocation kit installed in the car.

Joe

03-20-2011 10:19 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by RabbitGTDguy View Post
      still have more of these? The more I close up my system, get connections tighter and the more boost I hold....the more I've started hated my Strat valve each time. If this woud solve the problem...that'd be great.

Always have felt piston valves...while less prone to wear/tear and ripping vs. diaphrapm...and "look" good.....are SLOW and suck.

Options are nice.

Looking to do this and I actually have a DV relocation kit installed in the car.

Joe
      Joe, you can buy the valve and DIY or pm me if you want me to build you one. I include all the necessary hardware to make it plug and play, and you have the peace of mind that it's done properly.

I have it working flawlessly, on 500 HP evos and a 800 HP Supra at insane psi. If you are looking for real throttle bypass for your TT, this is it.

Vehicles
      More than a man should.
      03-21-2011 05:47 PM #68
      Joe, you can buy the valve and DIY or pm me if you want me to build you one. I include all the necessary hardware to make it plug and play, and you have the peace of mind that it's done properly.

I have it working flawlessly, on 500 HP evos and a 800 HP Supra at insane psi. If you are looking for real throttle bypass for your TT, this is it.
      Can you message me how much you want for the plug and play setup from you please.

03-21-2011 08:12 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by 6T1 View Post
      Can you message me how much you want for the plug and play setup from you please.
      Will do sir

Vehicles
      '02 TT 225Q
      03-21-2011 10:35 PM #70
      Just ordered one, cant wait to get it!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast