Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Great White

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      02-23-2012 11:17 AM #246

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      02-23-2012 11:27 AM #247
      What's the path to the RB caliper?

Will you be hanging on to your existing RB rotors? (he said, totally selfishly....)
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32 #108, 08' Mk5 Jetta
      02-23-2012 11:34 AM #248
      good to hear your keeping the R32!

I have been reading on the RB 2 piece they look good, I wonder if we could set up a GB?
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      02-23-2012 11:48 AM #249
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peach View Post

Will you be hanging on to your existing RB rotors? (he said, totally selfishly....)
      The new RB caliper will fit over the existing OEM 345 rotors or can also be used over the RB Two-Piece 345 rotors. So for those who have purchased the Two-Piece will be able to keep them and just upgrade the caliper when it becomes available.

This will be Progressive upgrade. You can also just get the caliper and if you feel like you need more you can get the Two-Piece RB rotor at a later time or you can get it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by rhcp4life View Post

I have been reading on the RB 2 piece they look good, I wonder if we could set up a GB?
      You'd have to keep an eye on their forums for any GB's.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-23-2012 02:29 PM #250

The last GB did not go over well, and barely happened. I did see someone selling their front and rear kit complete with pads for about $1500.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-23-2012 02:31 PM #251
      Also, win in keeping the car!

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32, 2003 1.8T GTI, 1974 2002 tii
      02-23-2012 02:42 PM #252

Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      Yes, my brutha'. . .

Quote Originally Posted by sixteen10 View Post
      Great News!!!!
      love it!

Quote Originally Posted by R3Drew View Post
      I think Lui covered it. I'll most likely not be selling them now since the calipers are on the way. I'll keep my eye open for a set at a good price for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peach View Post

Thanks man!

I think there will be one, if we look back every time they have put out a new product they do intro pricing. So it would make sense for them to provide intro pricing on the calipers and rotors individually or as a set.

Good point, I do have to say that not to many people knew of them at that time too, so that didn't help. I'll have to keep my eyes on the classifieds, we'll need to eventually find a used set for MR_P

Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      The last GB did not go over well, and barely happened. I did see someone selling their front and rear kit complete with pads for about $1500.
      Thanks Beta!

Also, win in keeping the car!
      Rigi Cola.

"The VR6 was an orchestra of well-tuned cylindrical delights." - jalopnik.com

Vehicles
      2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      02-23-2012 06:00 PM #253
      So glad you're keeping it.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 01:03 PM #254
      Cams shipped, the count down begins.
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      02-25-2012 01:36 PM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryan E. View Post
      Put me on the ride along list when you get this project completed.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-25-2012 01:37 PM #256
      Nice! what made choose those over the 272's?

Vehicles
      BMP R32
      02-25-2012 10:07 PM #257
      Great news Ryan

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 11:07 AM #258

can't wait for fastivus!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wiggley View Post
      Put me on the ride along list when you get this project completed.
      went for the 268/264's, they make more power than the 272's. The 272's leave the exhaust side open a little longer thus giving you less torque.

Nice! what made choose those over the 272's?
      How was AAA speedway? I was going to try and make it last minute but I noticed the event was so full there weren't even any transponders available. Gonna break these cams in @Buttonwillow in a few weeks.

Let me know when you do your next track session, we're way overdue for GTG...

Quote Originally Posted by armandobmx View Post
      Great news Ryan
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      02-26-2012 11:31 AM #259
      This is great news
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      02-26-2012 11:40 AM #260
      The new caliper in development weight will be 6.3 lbs.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-26-2012 01:16 PM #261
      Quote Originally Posted by nkgneto View Post
      The new caliper in development weight will be 6.3 lbs.
      OEM weight?

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 02:15 PM #262
      Not sure, having a hard time finding online...
      Rigi Cola.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      03-01-2012 02:37 AM #263
      Hey Ryan, awesome stuff, thanks for sharing so much info! I have a few questions if you have time:

On the cams - if I understand correctly the basic UM tune for the MKV R will work with these cams, so no need to get a separate "cam optimized" tune, right? Are you by chance going to do before / after dynos or have you seen any that others have done?

On the Mishimoto radiator - did you install that yourself? If so, how easy / difficult? If not, how many hours labor did your shop charge? Does it retain use of the oem fans and shroud? Also just curious - what do you run for coolant?

On the Setrab oil cooler - how many hours did you shop charge you for install? Did you get the same list of stuff that Nebby listed a few years back? There is a dead link in that thread but I think this is the current link: http://208.109.215.220/files/coolkit.pdf
      so kit option 7 from from the above pdf plus:
      Setrab M22-10 pushlock 90º fittings (2X)
      Setrab 9 Series Mounting Bracket Set
      Setrab 900 Series STD 20 Row Oil Cooler

Am I trying to clone your car??? Um...noooo...ish

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the cams!

Just curious - what are you thinking for FI options - C2, HPA or...? When I talked to Jeff @ UM over the summer I asked him if UM might do any kits and he mentioned they might be working on a SC kit - for MKIVs first, but if that turned out good, eventually for MKVs too (or something to that effect). When I called more recently I didn't get Jeff, but whoever I talked to said they had been too busy to work on it so not much progress yet. This may be covered elsewhere, or you may already have the inside scoop but mentioning in case you had not heard. Personally, I'm loving the idea of a SC, so REALLY hoping they do develop a MKV kit!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '06 Touareg
      03-01-2012 10:25 AM #264
      Rotiform <3
      Last edited by path0s; 03-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32 #108, 08' Mk5 Jetta
      03-01-2012 11:07 AM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      Hey Ryan, awesome stuff, thanks for sharing so much info! I have a few questions if you have time:

On the cams - if I understand correctly the basic UM tune for the MKV R will work with these cams, so no need to get a separate "cam optimized" tune, right? Are you by chance going to do before / after dynos or have you seen any that others have done?

On the Mishimoto radiator - did you install that yourself? If so, how easy / difficult? If not, how many hours labor did your shop charge? Does it retain use of the oem fans and shroud? Also just curious - what do you run for coolant?

On the Setrab oil cooler - how many hours did you shop charge you for install? Did you get the same list of stuff that Nebby listed a few years back? There is a dead link in that thread but I think this is the current link: http://208.109.215.220/files/coolkit.pdf

Just curious - what are you thinking for FI options - C2, HPA or...? When I talked to Jeff @ UM over the summer I asked him if UM might do any kits and he mentioned they might be working on a SC kit - for MKIVs first, but if that turned out good, eventually for MKVs too (or something to that effect). When I called more recently I didn't get Jeff, but whoever I talked to said they had been too busy to work on it so not much progress yet. This may be covered elsewhere, or you may already have the inside scoop but mentioning in case you had not heard. Personally, I'm loving the idea of a SC, so REALLY hoping they do develop a MKV kit!!
      SC
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      03-01-2012 02:04 PM #266
      The UM tune will adapt to the cams, so no extra flashing needed (confirmed with Echo). I'm so busy with work I don't think I can squeeze in a before dyno, I do plan on dynoing after. I get the cams installed Wednesday and track at Buttonwillow on Sunday, followed by a week vacation, woot! I'll make an appointment after my vacation with Eurosport and see how the numbers look.

Nebby put me in touch with Mishimoto after he sold his car, so I ended up being the final test mule for the first production batch. Gary handled all the test fitment so he could note any technical changes that needed to happen and document them. It's not terribly difficult but can take some time. I think a shop would charge 2-3 hours, if I did it, it would take 5-6 I bet.

They provide you with new hardware that goes into aluminum rather than plastic and the fans and everything bolts up proper. Dubnick and another Turbo R Owner both had to use 2 o-rings on the bottom to get it to seal properly (FYI). I use the G12+ OEM coolant.

That's the parts list, but the mocal sandwich kit comes with a few things you won't use, like the straight AN fittings and the bracket. I haven't spent the time to add it up, but it might be cheaper to buy the parts sepeartly, sandwhich kit, unions, AN fittings, hose, etc. The instal was $300.

more info: http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm

The cams should give me that extra top end I'm looking for at the track now that I have the bom UM Software.

If Jeff came out with a kit, I would probably do that, but I haven't finished all my research. I've been talking to Will a lot since he's already been down the HPA road with his kit. I am thinking about a HPA kit with no fueling and software, then run Jeff's fueling recommendations and software. I prefer UM tuning since Jeff makes himself available, from what it sounds like.

SC would be pretty cool, I'd want to use HPA's intake though.

Quote Originally Posted by path0s View Post
      Rotiform <3
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      03-01-2012 02:09 PM #267
      Cams arrived, scheduled to be installed Wednesday! Props to Ron @Denon, he did a great job getting them from Germany > Canada > California.

I have a track event a few days after the install followed by a dyno a few weeks later...

exhaust cam:
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2
      03-01-2012 03:04 PM #268
      Hmmm, those will go good with the fruit!

Vehicles
      03-01-2012 06:28 PM #269
      shricks

yummy.

Anxious to see your numbers on the dyno.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

25. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      03-02-2012 12:35 AM #270
      Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... I think I'm becoming a mod addict. Suddenly I'm finding 2K for those lovely cams (installed - rough guess on price) doesn't sound so bad. What!?!? I can quit whenever I want!!!

Thanks again for all the infos, Dr. Ryan. One other question - can you point to any threads or infos on this extra rad for hot climates? Thanks!!!!!

Vehicles
      03-02-2012 09:33 AM #271
      haha

Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      Hmmm, those will go good with the fruit!
      me too!

Quote Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
      shricks

yummy.

Anxious to see your numbers on the dyno.
      Sure, here you go: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117682

I also had forgot about the Polar Bear mod, this guy made a custom radiator shroud that supposdely helped a lot: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=29

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... I think I'm becoming a mod addict. Suddenly I'm finding 2K for those lovely cams (installed - rough guess on price) doesn't sound so bad. What!?!? I can quit whenever I want!!!

Thanks again for all the infos, Dr. Ryan. One other question - can you point to any threads or infos on this extra rad for hot climates? Thanks!!!!!
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      03-05-2012 02:52 PM #272
      Shawn @Pacific German said he can take the car tomorrow a day early, so the cams go in sooner. I'll let everyone know how they feel.
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      03-05-2012 04:02 PM #273
      Shawn @Pacific German said he can take the car tomorrow a day early, so the cams go in sooner. I'll let everyone know how they feel.
      Looking to go this route myself, so when you get your R back let me know. I can make a run up to get a ride and have some Q&A time. I Would appreciate it.

Vehicles
      03-05-2012 04:39 PM #274
      Will do, lookin forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wiggley View Post
      Looking to go this route myself, so when you get your R back let me know. I can make a run up to get a ride and have some Q&A time. I Would appreciate it.
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      03-05-2012 09:18 PM #275

Not a cheap install by any means, lol.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      2008 Golf V .:R32
      03-06-2012 01:24 AM #276
      Awesome updates , cams FTW
      Sixteen10's 4 Door .:R32 | Shawn's Speed Shop | gottiR32 Approved | Milltek Sport
      Quote Originally Posted by zevion View Post
      IMO the first major 'R' engine failure was they put that puny little 4 pot into it to begin with.

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 12:27 PM #277
      just left her off, hoping I pick it up by end of day, if not it might be on lunch tomorrow.

They mentioned I'll probably get featured on their updated site that's coming soon!
      Rigi Cola.

Vehicles
      2008 Golf V .:R32
      03-06-2012 12:33 PM #278
      just left her off, hoping I pick it up by end of day, if not it might be on lunch tomorrow.

They mentioned I'll probably get featured on their updated site that's coming soon!
      I'm Jelly
      Sixteen10's 4 Door .:R32 | Shawn's Speed Shop | gottiR32 Approved | Milltek Sport
      Quote Originally Posted by zevion View Post
      IMO the first major 'R' engine failure was they put that puny little 4 pot into it to begin with.

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      03-06-2012 12:35 PM #279
      I'm a bit confused by Mr. Polar Bear - the shroud is on the exterior of the radiator correct?

It just looks like it restricts airflow to the rad, but maybe I'm just dumb

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 02:27 PM #280
      It basically forces all the air coming to the radiator through it rather than escaping out the sides of the radiator thus creating better air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by R3Drew View Post
      I'm a bit confused by Mr. Polar Bear - the shroud is on the exterior of the radiator correct?

It just looks like it restricts airflow to the rad, but maybe I'm just dumb
      Rigi Cola.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast