Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen To Run Two Super Bowl Commercials

1. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      02-02-2011 09:15 PM #1
      Over the past few weeks, we had heard from various places that Volkswagen was working with Lucasfilm on a commercial spot to be aired during the the Super Bowl this Sunday. Well, it turns out Lucasfilm seems to have licensed out the music from its Star Wars line of movies, as well as the likeness of everyone's favorite absentee father, Darth Vader...

FULL STORY...

Vehicles
      2005 Lexus SC430
      02-02-2011 10:03 PM #2
      They were alright....

Vehicles
      2013 Platinum Grey Passat TDI SE 6-spd, 2013 Denim Blue Beetle, 1991 Inka Blue Cabriolet
      02-02-2011 10:39 PM #3
      They were both neat. The beetle one is just plain cool. I am sure the car will not get my rocks off but the idea on the commercial was sweet.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      02-02-2011 10:48 PM #4
      Sorry Jamie, but that Lucasfilm spot really sucked! What was it supposed to be, an ad for the new Passat or that the remote can actually work like every other car built since 1985? Besides the kid isn't even old enough to know or care about some old 1970's movie villain.

Show us the car instead in a more humorous way. They could have at least had the kid shake off the helmet and run after Dad when he flips the remote... something other than just standing there like a dork!

The Beetle ad was way better. Cute. Let's hope the car can live up to all the hype.
      Last edited by VWRedux; 02-02-2011 at 11:39 PM.
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

5. 02-02-2011 11:06 PM #5
      So the new Passat is going back to the old flip key?? WTF VW WTF

6. Member
      02-02-2011 11:07 PM #6
      Yeah, the Lucasfilm spot looked like it was going be something cute an clever, and then it just wasn't.

The beetle commercial is definitely better.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      02-02-2011 11:12 PM #7
      Have to agree with others, the Passat advert was lame - so yeah, OK, it has a remote How much money did VW line Lucas' already solid gold pockets with for that one?

The new Beetle ad was better, at least it had some quirkiness to it - makes me have some interest in what the product may look like, how it will perform, etc.

8. 02-02-2011 11:28 PM #8
      Vader one was cute. I loved watching it. The bug one was meh. I've seen that concept before. Nothing fun about it. Some good CG.

But then like Hawc told me earlier today, it's hard to f-up vader.
      Last edited by Stupid-GTi; 02-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      02-03-2011 12:21 AM #9
      I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337 - 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      02-03-2011 12:26 AM #10
      Neither of them are the best commercials I've ever seen, but they're cute and mostly original. They are both better than 90% of car commercials I normally see on TV. As far as a young kid dressing up as Darth Vader goes, I think the ad is meant to appeal to the 20, 30 or even 40 something-year-old kids who might possibly buy the Passat and for whom Darth Vader is a bigger cultural icon than for an actual 5 year-old.

11. 02-03-2011 12:49 AM #11
      I really love the Darth Vader one... I guess I'm one of the targets in their demographic studies

02-03-2011 02:14 AM #12
      Kid Vader was really cool. I liked both commercials.
      TCL lurker with binge posting tendencies.

13. 02-03-2011 03:54 AM #13
      at the Vader one.

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      02-03-2011 08:45 AM #14
      I dislike Star Wars. I am not impressed with the new Passat. The commercial was utter rubbish and quite pointless. The circle is complete.

The Beetle commercial wasn't much better.

I truly hope that VW is not pinning their hopes of huge sales increases on these two commercials.
      Last edited by luckeydoug1; 02-03-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Vehicles
      Weissach 911
      02-03-2011 09:03 AM #15
      The people who hate the Star Wars/Passat commercial clearly don't have kids, let alone kids that are into Star Wars.

The folks at the ad agency, who created those commercials, have their jobs for a reason. They are brilliant.
      Armchair designers and keyboard heros can go back to their parents basement.

-Dan

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      02-03-2011 09:14 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by luckeydoug1 View Post
      I dislike Star Wars. I am not impressed with the new Passat. The commercial was utter rubbish and quite pointless. The circle is complete.

I truly hope that VW is not pinning their hopes of huge sales increases on these two commercials.
      I sense great fear in you... You have hate… you have anger… but you don’t use them.

I find YOUR lack of faith disturbing...

Vehicles
      2004 RS R32, 2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
      02-03-2011 09:44 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by luckeydoug1 View Post

soooo wait..you dont like the commercials?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GLI Autobahn
      02-03-2011 09:55 AM #18
      many people would be surprised how much kids are into Star Wars even though it was way before their time. Both commercials were good. There are tons of commercials that have little or even nothing to do with the actual product it sells.

19. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      02-03-2011 10:06 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post
      Sorry Jamie, but that Lucasfilm spot really sucked! What was it supposed to be, an ad for the new Passat or that the remote can actually work like every other car built since 1985? Besides the kid isn't even old enough to know or care about some old 1970's movie villain.

Show us the car instead in a more humorous way. They could have at least had the kid shake off the helmet and run after Dad when he flips the remote... something other than just standing there like a dork!

The Beetle ad was way better. Cute. Let's hope the car can live up to all the hype.
      Oh come on... lighten up. I'm guessing it is the remote start feature, not just that it has a remote. My kids are into the Star Wars stuff and I grew up with it, so I thought it was pretty amusing. Everyone said the Jetta sucks and look, it is selling well. I think VW will do OK with this Passat. They don't have to sell anywhere near Sonata, Accord or Camry numbers to do far better than where they are now - plus the car will be profitable for them.

The Beetle will be a little different this time around. It should still satisfy the people who want a Beetle and will find new appeal in the sport versions that are far more aggressive. It is still very much a niche car, but it is an icon for VW.

-jamie

Vehicles
      Converts, '77 super beetle and '07 Eos; '06 Odyssey
      02-03-2011 10:23 AM #20
      As a father of a 5 year old boy that is crazy about Star Wars, the ad made me . I could totally imagine my son in that costume. Since a family vehicle is what they are selling, that is one step closer to imagining myself in the vehicle.

Oh, and many 5 year old boys are crazy about Star Wars

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      02-03-2011 11:00 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by The Luscious View Post
      The people who hate the Star Wars/Passat commercial clearly don't have kids, let alone kids that are into Star Wars.

The folks at the ad agency, who created those commercials, have their jobs for a reason. They are brilliant.
      Armchair designers and keyboard heros can go back to their parents basement.

-Dan
      I have two kids (4 and 6) and used to love Star Wars (which I no longer due thanks to the various edits, horrible prequels, etc.) and I still think the ad was dumb. I mean, that could have been ANY car that pulls into the driveway at the end of the commercial, not just a VW. I mean, it's supposed to be an ad for the new Passat right? Yet the ad does pretty much nothing to showcase the vehicle besides the fact that it has a remote that locks/arms the alarm. It barely shows the vehicle, doesn't show the interior, etc. Generally, an ad for a car *usually* at least shows the car off and/or in action and shows it doing something, not just pulling into a driveway at the end of a commercial basically showing some kid pretending to be Darth Vader - has absolutely nothing to do with Volkswagen. Was it cute? Meh, as a parent, I guess so - but it does nothing for Volkswagen or its product(s). Maybe they should have actually showed the family driving around in the car, show off its spacious interior, handling, blah, blah. The kid could've still been dressed up as Dork Vader in the back seat or something, maybe they were driving to a costume party or something - at least tied it into the new car they are trying to market.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf GTI
      02-03-2011 11:11 AM #22
      There's plenty of time between now and when the Passat goes on sale for VW to produce more "informative" commercials highlighting the car's attributes. This was just a teaser ad made to entertain and have people talking about VW afterwards. This ad did that and got across that there's a new Passat coming starting at only $20k.

Remember the "the new VWs are coming" ads before the Mk4s come out? They didn't show any cars at all. But they got the ball rolling in having people think about VWs again.

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      02-03-2011 11:36 AM #23
      I mean, it's supposed to be an ad for the new Passat right? Yet the ad does pretty much nothing to showcase the vehicle besides the fact that it has a remote that locks/arms the alarm. It barely shows the vehicle, doesn't show the interior, etc. Generally, an ad for a car *usually* at least shows the car off and/or in action and shows it doing something, not just pulling into a driveway at the end of a commercial basically showing some kid pretending to be Darth Vader - has absolutely nothing to do with Volkswagen.
      Hey, Genius... it's a Super Bowl ad. It's three million dollars worth of short exposure in a medium where most of the watchers, if not grabbing a beer or going to the bathroom at the time it's shown, will remember nothing more than "a kid in a Star wars outfit" and (if VW is lucky) "a Volkswagen something." The real goal here is NOT to sell a specific car, or even a feature of a specific car... it's to implant "VW" in the minds of the masses. So Monday, they'll discuss the various cool commercials and remember, "Yes, I liked the Bud ones, and the Pepsi one, and I hated the GoDaddy one. But how about the VW ones!" And six, eight, fifty weeks from now, when he's looking for a replacement vehicle, he'll remember "VW" and consider shopping there.

I'm certain you're quite the expert at however you earn a living, and whatever it is you do, if I needed that product or service, I would seek your advice. But for you to opine on VW's advertising strategy, when it's obvious you're not on Madison Avenue, is laughable. For sure you're not a movie editor...

But guys like you are what make these forums so entertaining, so... party on, duuude...

02-03-2011 12:11 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Stupid-GTi View Post
      Like Hawc told me earlier today, it's hard to f-up vader.
      /QFT
      1989 GLX | 2002 GTI | 2005 Boxster | 2006 GTI | 2007 Cayman | 2014 991

02-03-2011 12:30 PM #25
      I love the Darth Vader spot. It just feels good. It's fun. It's enjoyable to watch.

Superbowl spots generally are 'brand' spots not 'tactical' hard-sell spots so it does a nice job balancing the entertainment with the sell.

When you watch a Bud spot on the Superbowl it's not 30 seconds of slow pour and sweaty glass - it's frogs in a swamp - and they're hilarious.

Who's their U.S. agency these days, is it Red Urban?

I still like Arnold's work the best from the late 90s, early 2000s, but I'm probably being sentimental.

Vehicles
      13 goRf
      02-03-2011 12:43 PM #26
      i liked the darth one more, but the beetle one was cool too. i liked them both alot

02-03-2011 01:11 PM #27
      VW got it all wrong, they should have hired this kid:

28. Member
      02-03-2011 01:31 PM #28
      Loved both! Im 32 and have a kid who loves star wars so Im in the demographics. Some people don´t get that these commercials not made to sell a car explicitly. They make brand awareness by making fun commercials that catch the attention to a certain (wide) demographics. If one notices, both have the same strategy, they are teasers, the beattle one a bit more, but they both want to make you go online, or visit a dealer to find out more....
      2012 VW Amarok TDI
      2011 Kia Sportage Revolution 2.0 TDI 177hp

29. 02-03-2011 01:38 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he started the car from the clicker, but what do I know I'm just a person with ears

02-03-2011 01:38 PM #30
      What do we know about the (new) New Beetle? With the racing stripes, obviously the commercial is suggesting a more sporty model. 2.0T option? Jetta platform?
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Vehicles
      .:R
      02-03-2011 01:46 PM #31
      They both sucked
      Illeststance

02-03-2011 02:10 PM #32
      I wonder if they got the idea from this picture:

33. 02-03-2011 02:26 PM #33
      deutsch is the american AOR.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby "hers"
      02-03-2011 02:51 PM #34
      so next year they're gunna have a commercial announcing the new Rocco right? They should have an older guy standing in a dealer lookin at a new Rocco with flash backs of the one he had in he 80's tearin it up just beating the piss outa it kinda like the one with the old lady and the mk3 bring it vwoa bring it **** would sell like hot cakes! Everytime I drive mine it seems like I have an older guy tell me I used to have one of them... Man was that a fun car!
      Old user "sweetrocco420"
      It's gunna flip http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Build-thread

02-03-2011 03:00 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by sweetrocco420 View Post
      so next year they're gunna have a commercial announcing the new Rocco right? They should have an older guy standing in a dealer lookin at a new Rocco with flash backs of the one he had in he 80's tearin it up just beating the piss outa it kinda like the one with the old lady and the mk3 bring it vwoa bring it **** would sell like hot cakes! Everytime I drive mine it seems like I have an older guy tell me I used to have one of them... Man was that a fun car!
      Except no one aside from a few VW fans remember the old Scirocco.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast