Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: repairing a replica rolex. is it possible?

Vehicles
      sti
      02-03-2011 09:31 PM #1
      last year i bought a replica rolex submariner off of your typical shadester on canal street in chinatown nyc.

i payed $40 and its actually the best replica rip off watch ive ever seen.
      its extremely high quality and it is so hard to tell the difference without opening it up.
      i think it might be an actual swiss made replica. if swiss made replicas even exist.
      iv read that replicas can hold the same quality as some 500 or 1000 dollar watches and that they use real swiss made movements.

well it worked good when i got it but lately it started loosing time over a day period and sometimes the watch will randomly stop all together.
      then i have to reset the time and date give it a shake and it starts back up.

i noticed sometimes when im setting the time when moving the minute hand over the other hands you can see all of them kind of move like there is contact between the hands when they pass over each other.

is it possible for a watch/jewlery repair place to fix my watch.
      what about a real rolex dealer?
      i would imagine they wouldnt touch a replica watch.

i know replica rolexes are cheesy but i always told myself if i ever went to chinatown i would have to buy a rollie off of a shadeball to get the full nyc experience
      Last edited by oo0afireinside; 02-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi - AMG
      02-03-2011 11:01 PM #2
      They will tell you get out if you take that into a Rolex store. Besides the principle of it, it's not a Rolex watch, they won't touch it.

Repair work for real high end Swiss watches get into hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Just buy another replica.
      VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

3. 02-06-2011 10:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      They will tell you get out if you take that into a Rolex store.
      You know...that might be kinda fun.

02-07-2011 10:57 PM #4
      A routine service of a mechanical watch is typically $200-$300 and if you own a real Rolex you might have this done every 2-4 years depending on use. In the case of your $40 fake you throw it away or give it to a homeless person and buy something else. If you have an interest in how watches work there is no harm in taking it apart and seeing if you're smart enough to get it working again and put back together properly.

Vehicles
      '08 R32, UG, #2469
      02-07-2011 11:38 PM #5
      If it cost you $40, it's not a Swiss fake. Most of the $50 and under mechanical fakes seem to use the same dirt cheap Chinese movements that are a complete pain in the butt to work on (I fixed a fake Panerai for a friend of mine once, and it was just a terrible experience).

Also, from what I've heard, Rolex will confiscate counterfeits that come across their counter.

As stated, it will probably cost you at least as much as you paid for the watch to get it straightened out, if you can find a place that will be willing to work on it. Best case, if it's just hand interference, it's a fairly quick fix, but would still probably cost you the $40. If you know any amateur watchmakers, you may be able to find one who will take a look at it for a 6 pack.

6. 02-08-2011 12:55 AM #6
      also.........you paid 35.00 dollars too much for the fake.....

7. Member
      02-08-2011 02:00 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
      Also, from what I've heard, Rolex will confiscate counterfeits that come across their counter.
      It may be urban legend, but I've heard Rolex will confiscate even genuine Rolex's if they find out they were sold through the gray market. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with flat out counterfeits.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

02-08-2011 11:59 AM #8
      Getting your watch serviced can be a tricky proposition. Rolex recommends you always take your watch to an authorized Rolex dealer, who in turn is supposed to send the watch to an authorized repair center. The reason for this is so your local watch maker doesn't screw anything up and also to ensure conformance with all performance standards and certifications.

However, Rolex (and other watch makers) have been known to swap certain components while the watch is being serviced. This destroys much of the originality in the process and can impact collector value. I've read about some Rolex collectors who wouldn't dream of ever sending their watch back to Rolex for servicing and instead would rather take it to their local trusted watchmaker.

9. 02-08-2011 03:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I've read about some Rolex collectors who wouldn't dream of ever sending their watch back to Rolex for servicing and instead would rather take it to their local trusted watchmaker.
      This is the prime reason my old man won't send his 1968 Dayjust ( awful Jubilee crap) to be serviced. At this point, his has probably reached the NLA parts status.

10. 02-08-2011 08:08 PM #10
      I used to work in the watch industry and went through the rolex seminar training program.
      they have all the serial numbers dating back quite a ways. If a serial number has been reported to them as stolen and it comes in for service it is confiscated, if you are dumb enough take the stolen watch personally to either the NYC, DALLAS OR L.A. repair/service center you will be arrrested (no joke) whether you stole it or not.
      as the rep put it "they all come home to momma eventually"
      I was shown solid gold/jeweled rolex knockoffs'.....fakes!.......confiscated from bigwigs that got them as gifts, etc.
      you cannot believe the lengths counterfieters will go to duplicate a rolex........the dealers may or may not do that sort of thing..........but as someone mentioned .....they all send them in to NYC , DALLAS OR L.A. for service
      in our store when someone came in with a knock off, we just sort of said "wow that's cool, its fake" C-U later"........

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q3 2.0T quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      02-09-2011 10:58 PM #11
      Post pics and we can tell you how bad it is.

Then you won't worry about "fixing" it.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Everything you could imagine basically
      02-10-2011 12:38 PM #12
      i can likely fix it, if not i have a guy that can fix reps. i had a ton of reps until i got my genuine ones recently.

frankly, i like reps, it allows you to have lots of different ones. but, i just dropped a ton of coin on a new watch, so no more buying for me anytime soon.

pm sent.
      Turbos, Timepieces and Firearms.

02-12-2011 12:46 PM #13
      I don't know if they would do it in the US, but here in Italy, if you take a fake watch to the official store, they can get the police involved and make the situation quite serious.

Anyways, I would never think of bringing a fake watch to an official service/store...
      "Non è baciare il muro che mi preoccupa. E' farci l'amore che mi spaventa un pò" M. Alboreto

O|||||||O

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2011 10:42 AM #14
      very true, but if you know people who will work on reps, getting them fixed is cheap, easy, and pretty fast. there are quite a few people in the US that make a living SOLELY servicing reps.

i know these people and am happy to share via PM should anyone want to know.

for the first 10 years of my watch obsession, i wore nothing BUT reps, and i was pleased with them. then i got my first real tag, and this DSSD, and i'll probably be buying reps again soon cause [i lost my job, and] my addiction to watches runs deep

having real watches and gens at the same time is kinda fun, throws everyone off

15. 02-13-2011 07:51 PM #15
      where the watch companies really get bummed out about the 'replica' market is that there are unsespecting people that go into what they think is a nice shop and pay big bucks for a knock off watch, (that is a watch that has a brand logo trademark on it and is being sold as real".......

and they find out it's a five dollar watch...............its' one thing buying what you know is a fake/prirated/illegal watch and another thinking you got a great deal on a rolex only to find out it's not genuine..........

sort of like yugo reopening their factory and selling "replica volkswagens" or a cell store selling "real Iphones at 1/4 of the price".........
      or going to a doctor that says he is an M.D. but finding out he took an online course in brain surgery but is opreating as a 'doctor

Vehicles
      sti
      02-13-2011 09:32 PM #16

actually im going to take it apart myself to see if i can learn how a watch movement works.

no sense to take it to get repaired when i could just buy another one for cheap.
      and im not really even into watches to begin with so its not a big issue with me.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q3 2.0T quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      02-14-2011 11:54 AM #17
      I wouldn't put much money in fixing that watch, it's not a "good" fake or anything.

Open it up and learn about the movement, I'm all for that.

Vehicles
      sti
      02-15-2011 01:59 AM #18
      thats the plan

i wouldnt say its a bad watch.

my friend has a rep submariner and its terrible
      its about double the dimensions of mine and looks like it came out of a coin op machine
      he sports it with pride

19. 02-27-2011 04:28 PM #19
      I have that exact same fake! Bought it in Qatar. Still works three years later.
      Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-07-2011 01:56 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      I wouldn't put much money in fixing that watch, it's not a "good" fake or anything.

Open it up and learn about the movement, I'm all for that.
      i have had ~ 5 replica subs, and that one pictured is not what i would call "accurate"

BUT, if it is an automatic, it is likely an asian 21j which is EASY AS HELL to fix.

get a ball of duct tape, stick it to the back of the watch, and use that to unscrew the caseback (works like a charm if you don't have the REAL case opener)

trust me, try it.

then, you will see (likely) a neat little 21j movement that are a dime a dozen. if you need help repairing or replacing it let me know, i have been working on them for years.

21. 04-20-2011 01:26 PM #21
      I have an excellent sup rep, fairly expensive, mechanical, needs hand repair. Anyone have a suggestion? Ran great with hard use for 5 years until the hand disaster. Movement is likely fine.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2011 11:12 AM #22
      I am pretty backed up right now but I can easily fix it for ya. I have 7 jobs in front of you so we are talking 5-6 weeks, but if your patient, I can repair it for ya for little or no charge. I it is JUST the hands having fallen off, that takes 15 minutes and can be done in between jobs, so I could likely bang it out while I'm waiting for part for other customers.

I have a tag I have been waiting for a new movement for that takes priority over all, but I was supposed to have the movement in my hands like 1-1.5 weeks ago!!! Ugh!

But yeah, I can easily fix it.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      04-21-2011 12:54 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
      It may be urban legend, but I've heard Rolex will confiscate even genuine Rolex's if they find out they were sold through the gray market. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with flat out counterfeits.
      I know Mont Blanc does that with Pens so I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex does it with watches.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

24. 04-21-2011 07:21 PM #24
      It is a nice watch, not cheap, and has been resting in my desk drawer at work for over a year. Second hand came loose and jammed it, and I am pretty sure the hands issue is the only one. (on the other hand, I can't imagine fixing a watch)

I have several Oris watches I really like, a real Datejust, and some antiques, but I really loved this one, and I would be more than happy to pay you to fix it. I hate seeing it sitting there broken, and it has been long enough. Can't throw it away, can't use it. Let me know what to do. Whatever is fair for watch repair is OK by me.

25. 04-21-2011 07:23 PM #25
      BTW I am pretty sure it is a European (maybe Swiss) standard mechanical movement like (low end) ETA, but......not positive. Could be asian mech.

26. 05-09-2011 12:08 PM #26
      So, Noobercorn, did you get my last message? I may have missed a response. Can you tell me how to get this watch fixed? Hands back on?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2011 02:39 AM #27
      I replied that I could easily fix it. Email me bro I am never on here.

Mikepmcnair@gmail.com

08-10-2012 06:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
      Most of the $50 and under mechanical fakes seem to use the same dirt cheap Chinese movements that are a complete pain in the butt to work on (I fixed a fake Panerai for a friend of mine once, and it was just a terrible experience).
      My impression is that all "fakes" use movement that came from China, wether or not they advertise Swiss movement and a bigger price tag.

OP, please, don't get any more replicas.
      x

08-10-2012 06:26 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by oo0afireinside View Post

actually im going to take it apart myself to see if i can learn how a watch movement works.
      That is a great idea
      x

30. 08-27-2012 09:47 PM #30
      i have the same rolex but i have two problems first i cant ajust the time i spin the crown but nothing happens and i cant spin the bezel how do i fix that

31. Member
      Vehicles
      10-26-2012 12:52 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Lily8899 View Post
      Mädchen zu tun braucht, breitling replica uhren wenn sie etwas, replica uhren was sie ganz glücklich werde mit zu bekommen hofft. replicas de relojes Und, Junge, kann den Kauf pre geliebt Designer-Taschen sicher hart sein, vor allem, wenn wir über Online-Shopping zu reden!
      Vereinbart! aber Frauen nicht kaufen, Männer zur Selbsthilfe. 3-4 Beiträge vor, bitte mailen Sie mir.

As for repairing homage and replicas I typically walk people theough it over the phone or Skype etc, as I don't mess with watches anymore/

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      11-07-2012 12:55 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      I know Mont Blanc does that with Pens so I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex does it with watches.
      All urban legends. Thats called theft. Regardless of how people think it can be justified because they couldn't control their distribution.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      11-12-2012 09:21 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by oo0afireinside View Post
      -its actually the best replica rip off watch ive ever seen
      -its extremely high quality

-it worked good when i got it but lately it started loosing time over a day
      -sometimes the watch will randomly stop all together.
      -i have to reset the time and date give it a shake and it starts back up
      -when im setting the time when moving the minute hand over the other hands you can see all of them kind of move like there is contact between the hands when they pass over each other
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

34. Member
      Vehicles
      11-13-2012 02:56 AM #34
      Look at the pic in second post here.....

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/reg...ng-245217.html

Might help timing issues without tools.

Cheers.

35. 11-13-2012 06:05 AM #35
      Hi folks, I'm a member of a rep watch forum where Mike used to have a section for his watch repairs and modding.
      You can access his old (now closed) section here (may require a sign up):
      http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showforum=199

I would strongly recommend you do not take up his offer of 'skype tutorials' or send him anything at all for repair as he has let a lot of people down in the past.
      Watches were being returned after repair in a much worse state than they were sent and that's if they were returned at all.
      As far as I know there are still members at our forum that are still waiting for their watches back from Mike over a year after they were sent to him.
      In the end he was banned from the forum for abusing members of staff via PM.

Although it's probably obvious I would also have very strong reservations about trusting someone who behaves like this with the repair and restoration of my vintage mercedes or ferrari.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast