Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: repairing a replica rolex. is it possible?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      11-13-2012 03:03 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Badger View Post
      Hi folks, I'm a member of a rep watch forum where Mike used to have a section for his watch repairs and modding.
      You can access his old (now closed) section here (may require a sign up):
      http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showforum=199

I would strongly recommend you do not take up his offer of 'skype tutorials' or send him anything at all for repair as he has let a lot of people down in the past.
      Watches were being returned after repair in a much worse state than they were sent and that's if they were returned at all.
      As far as I know there are still members at our forum that are still waiting for their watches back from Mike over a year after they were sent to him.
      In the end he was banned from the forum for abusing members of staff via PM.

Although it's probably obvious I would also have very strong reservations about trusting someone who behaves like this with the repair and restoration of my vintage mercedes or ferrari.
      LOL. How the **** do you get banned from a forum for ripping people off, when the whole purpose of the site is discussing how to make better fakes to rip people off ? You should welcome him back and give him an award or something.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

2. 11-14-2012 10:01 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      LOL. How the **** do you get banned from a forum for ripping people off, when the whole purpose of the site is discussing how to make better fakes to rip people off ? You should welcome him back and give him an award or something.
      If you took the time to look at the forum you would see that it's purpose is the complete opposite of what you assume.
      The forum helps new members avoid getting scammed or ripped off.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Everything you could imagine basically
      11-15-2012 12:11 AM #38
      If you took the time to look at the forum you would see that it's purpose is the complete opposite of what you assume.
      Trevor, I will absolutely agree with you on a few things;

1) I actually ASKED to be banned, thus stoping the influx of watches that I was receiving.

2) that site is indeed a great place so peopl don't drop a grand on a 300 dollar rep! It's amazing what information is on the web!

3) I have repaired properly more watches that you have ever seen in your life; in fact I was doing 20-40 a WEEK, and my turn around time was 3-6 weeks (which is perfect for the industry)

4) I had a scumbag say I didn't deliver, yer he tried to sell the watch I send him on 1/31/12 on RWG. This was odd as he had it, said he didn't to PayPal, and was selling it? Weird! I lost $792 dollars from that ordeal. Thank you.

5) I was given "trusted dealer" status not from my lack of quality work, in fact, it was offered to me by those that run the site! So check your facts.

6) I am NO LONGER taking jobs on, but guess what...... I know more than you, AND have walked quite a few people through a repair they were afraid to do... Why? Because I know almost every watch movement like the back of my hand (the TOURBIES are still a little odd to me, but can you repair a Valjioux 7750 without a thought? No, but I can!)

Sure, when I got screwed outa a ton of money, I stopped my "biz", asked mods to close my site, and frankly have been welcomed back IF I were to take it on, which I will not.

Once burnt, bad taste, not trying to get back into that.

The only watches I repair are for very loyal customers, friends, or family.

I'm not looking for anyone's trust: I'm better than any human on this forum at Luming, Timing, Repairing, and Diagnosing a timepiece.... From the late 1800's until now, I know just about every movement, have fixed it, and will not accept some small time punk saying I don't know them.

So stop.

I'm not taking on work, but will help someone if I can. Period!

-Michael
      Turbos, Timepieces and Firearms.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      11-15-2012 12:20 PM #39
      Ha. Yeah, people who want to learn if their watch is fake end up there. But 90% of the topics are about making better fakes.

A quote from the first thread in the "omega" section -
      Angus has said the LM PO 42mm will be coming out before the new Ceramic PO. Hopefully Noob will get the Liquid metal very similar to the real thing, at least to look at, and with the correct pearl, HEV, crown, AR and lume, as we will expect it to have from Noob now after the AP Diver and JLC, this should be the best PO rep made yet and certainly the most stunning

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      11-15-2012 02:46 PM #40
      MAC, I think you and Trevor are experiencing a miscommunication at a very basic level. Your starting position is one that any replica watch is a ripoff to the consumer, and Trevor's is that one can purchase a replica from a reliable source or an unreliable source.

MAC, if I understand your position correctly, you believe that the RWG board exists for the purpose of refining replicas, so they will pass as genuine articles, and fool consumers into purchasing them, at some point. Or that any replica purchased by a consumer is inherently a ripoff to that consumer, because it isn't a genuine article.

Trevor, if I understand your position correctly, you say that the RWG board exists for the purpose of helping purchasers get the best replica that they can, from the most reliable sources without getting cheated (as I am guessing could happen often when purchasing replica watches), either by sending money and receiving nothing, or by being sent a replica that isn't as it was described.

Put another way, into car terms, MAC is basically saying that purchasing a Shelby Cobra replica, no matter how accurate, is still a ripoff to the person buying it, because it isn't a genuine Cobra. Trevor would be the guy who says, "Just as long as you know what you're getting isn't a genuine Shelby Cobra, you might as well get it from a shop that's not going to take your money and run."

Am I close?
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

6. 11-15-2012 03:44 PM #41
      then there is the matter of logo/trademark usage on products not manufactured/contracted/endorsed by the trademark owners......

bulova has been making 'rolex' and many other 'look alike' watches for years, I had a bulova that was mistaken for a rolex gold sub at quick look, but it did not say 'rolex' on it anywhere, it said bulova........
      so although the watched was a 'replica' of a rolex submariner the brand name on the watch was bulova........no mis representation there.
      I paid the bulova price for the watch

7. Member
      11-17-2012 09:07 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by mauslick View Post
      then there is the matter of logo/trademark usage on products not manufactured/contracted/endorsed by the trademark owners......

bulova has been making 'rolex' and many other 'look alike' watches for years, I had a bulova that was mistaken for a rolex gold sub at quick look, but it did not say 'rolex' on it anywhere, it said bulova........
      so although the watched was a 'replica' of a rolex submariner the brand name on the watch was bulova........no mis representation there.
      I paid the bulova price for the watch
      I'm with you.

Although, it would be hilarious to have a fake Rolex sub with Indiglo.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

8. 11-30-2012 06:16 PM #43
      I just bought a replica Rolex Submariner, auto movement (Japanese Miyota). I can still return it for refund or exchange, but, thought I'd try fixing it myself. The crystal isn't centered properly and the date sits high in the window. Now, I know a watch repair guy can easily fix these two items. I'm fairly certain I can do the work if I knew what to do. Anyone familiar enough to give me some pointers?

9. 11-30-2012 06:21 PM #44
      Haha even if Rolex did fix the watch for you it would be at least $600 as that is the normal TuneUp cost.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Everything you could imagine basically
      12-04-2012 01:12 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by SigVicious View Post
      I just bought a replica Rolex Submariner, auto movement (Japanese Miyota). I can still return it for refund or exchange, but, thought I'd try fixing it myself. The crystal isn't centered properly and the date sits high in the window. Now, I know a watch repair guy can easily fix these two items. I'm fairly certain I can do the work if I knew what to do. Anyone familiar enough to give me some pointers?
      eff the elitists, i have more "real" watches than they do. i've also repaired watches thatcost more than their HOUSE, not car, not line of equity, their WHOLE HOUSE.

that being said, check your PM. i typed FULL detailed instructions, and YOU CAN repair it.

i DO NOT condone trademark infringement, nor passing a rep off as gen ( i got in a situation where i bought a "gen" as i thought, then found it to be a rep, i was pissed, mutilated on the forum, and felt like a total douche!!! i had paper, and it was a trusted source too!!)

anywho, if you read your PM, you should be able to fully repair your timepiece with little to no "specialized" tools.

Best,

Michael
      Turbos, Timepieces and Firearms.

12-04-2012 04:35 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Noobercorn View Post
      eff the elitists, i have more "real" watches than they do. i've also repaired watches thatcost more than their HOUSE, not car, not line of equity, their WHOLE HOUSE.

that being said, check your PM. i typed FULL detailed instructions, and YOU CAN repair it.

i DO NOT condone trademark infringement, nor passing a rep off as gen ( i got in a situation where i bought a "gen" as i thought, then found it to be a rep, i was pissed, mutilated on the forum, and felt like a total douche!!! i had paper, and it was a trusted source too!!)

anywho, if you read your PM, you should be able to fully repair your timepiece with little to no "specialized" tools.

Best,

Michael
      You sound cool, however if you advocate the repair of fakes, then you are patronizing the **** stain of the market.
      x

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      12-12-2012 02:49 PM #47
      Reps are ****ing gay. I didn't work half my life to wear some chinese piece of **** on my wrist. Don't know why anybody would. And saying reps are ok because "you like the design" is like saying that a photocopy of a picasso is cool.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      12-14-2012 08:29 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Reps are ****ing gay. I didn't work half my life to wear some chinese piece of **** on my wrist. Don't know why anybody would. And saying reps are ok because "you like the design" is like saying that a photocopy of a picasso is cool.
      While I get what you're saying to some degree, it's also a kind of a douchy thing to say. Plenty of people buy prints of much more expensive original paintings. Nothing really gay about that at all. Not everyone can afford the real thing (watch or painting) and a print is perfectly way to have something visually pleasing in your life without having to take out a mortgage.

If you someone wants a rep, that's cool. I personally wouldn't buy one, but again, whatever floats your boat. Actual reps always have imprecise details that would REALLY annoy me, even if 98% of the watch looked like the real thing. I know a guy who has a watch that looks almost example like my seamaster 300m. I almost thought it was a real seamaster, but the details were terrible. Granted it wasn't branded as a fake (I think it was a bulova) but the band, bezel, and several other details looked VERY similar.

12-14-2012 08:45 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      While I get what you're saying to some degree, it's also a kind of a douchy thing to say. Plenty of people buy prints of much more expensive original paintings. Nothing really gay about that at all. Not everyone can afford the real thing (watch or painting) and a print is perfectly way to have something visually pleasing in your life without having to take out a mortgage.

If you someone wants a rep, that's cool. I personally wouldn't buy one, but again, whatever floats your boat. Actual reps always have imprecise details that would REALLY annoy me, even if 98% of the watch looked like the real thing. I know a guy who has a watch that looks almost example like my seamaster 300m. I almost thought it was a real seamaster, but the details were terrible. Granted it wasn't branded as a fake (I think it was a bulova) but the band, bezel, and several other details looked VERY similar.
      One key flaw in your argument though, which kinda proves the other guys point.

A reprint of art LOOKS like the original, which is all its meant to do
      A replica watch looks like the original, but does NOT WORK to the level of the original.

All my Rolexes are 30-50 years old, and work. I can't imagine a fake doing the same.
      x

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      12-14-2012 08:56 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      One key flaw in your argument though, which kinda proves the other guys point.

A reprint of art LOOKS like the original, which is all its meant to do
      A replica watch looks like the original, but does NOT WORK to the level of the original.

All my Rolexes are 30-50 years old, and work. I can't imagine a fake doing the same.
      Very few people buy anything to last 30-50 years. And yeah, my comparison with art is quite apt for the situation. Using your example---people don't buy prints to own or display for 30-50 years while the same can't necessariyl be said about someone who owns an original.

12-14-2012 09:35 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Very few people buy anything to last 30-50 years. .
      That's the damn problem!!

For me, it's about performance, so that's why I didn't get the "art" comparison.
      I would compare replica watches to kit cars. Granted, some can be nice, but most are just a watered down version of the copy.

I do have an issues with posers though. Why not just buy a used version, or a different brand that you can afford. Obviously this is not a question I can answer for others...
      x

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      04-08-2014 05:27 AM #52
      What's with this practice (in the posts above) of calling counterfeit merchandise 'replicas' or 'reps'?

If I go out and get myself some $100 dollar bills that were made overseas, rather than by the US Treasury, and I call them 'replica' bills, does that mean I won't have to go to jail for possession of counterfeit money?
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-15-2014 08:34 PM #53
      Michael,

You bumped a 1.5 y/o thread for that?
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

19. 06-02-2014 05:17 PM #54
      I am in N.C. bought a replica Rolex The second hand will move when you tap on the watch the minute hand moves around ok I think second hand could be blocking hour hand from moving properly can you recommend some one to repair this watch?

20. 07-22-2014 10:47 PM #55
      Repairing a fake.

The Poortex lives to it's reputation.

21. 07-22-2014 10:50 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by bobbuck View Post
      I am in N.C. bought a replica Rolex The second hand will move when you tap on the watch the minute hand moves around ok I think second hand could be blocking hour hand from moving properly can you recommend some one to repair this watch?
      Best place for it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12