VWVortex

Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: mfbmike's .:R32

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      03-17-2011 12:11 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by CWr32vdub View Post
      Right on man, nice to see you pulled the trigger

I'm still teetering between the tampavw mod, or Borla. Perhaps a video of yours will convince me otherwise

You really came through with the autoanything link. Their customer service proved to be a lot better than I might've expected. The price point was solid, very solid in fact and the fact that I was able to receive the product a week from the day I purchased it makes it all the sweeter.

And I promise I will provide videos and pics once it's installed. Camera kind of sucks for video recording but I'll see what I can do.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

03-17-2011 12:20 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post

Is that some Never-Dull or wax on the black trim around the exhaust tips? If it's been on there for awhile, or even if its not, the best stuff to get that off is peanut butter. Works wonders..... Otherwise, cars looking good
      Daily: '08 R32 -- Wifes: '08 Audi A3 -- Sunny Days: '90 Corrado

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 12:32 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by G60 dude View Post
      Is that some Never-Dull or wax on the black trim around the exhaust tips? If it's been on there for awhile, or even if its not, the best stuff to get that off is peanut butter. Works wonders..... Otherwise, cars looking good
      lol yes, it's actually nevr-dull that I got on the black trim by accident when polishing the stock pipes last week. I wiped it off that night, once I realized I had gotten some on there by accident.

Thanks bud.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 01:17 PM #144

So I got around to unpacking the borla exhaust and not 100% satisfied. There is a slight "dent" in the front pipe assembly (2nd pic). I'm not sure if this is a reason for concern considering I've never purchased an aftermarket exhaust and if it will affect performance and/or sound.

I'd hate to go through the hassle of having to ship this back, etc. Opinions?
      Last edited by mfbmike; 12-06-2011 at 11:47 PM.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 01:34 PM #145
      Scratch that, already called up autoanything and spoke to a customer representative about the dent. Emailed pictures of the issue and will likely be receiving a replacement upper pipe assembly. Fingers crossed.

This place is really impressing me with their customer service so far.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

6. Member
      03-17-2011 01:35 PM #146
      I definitely would want it taken care of. You just spend a ton of money, you don't want to put a damaged product on the car.

The baffle inside of the resonator could be damaged, who knows. It's easier to deal with it now rather then installing it and then noticing there is an issue.

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 01:41 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      I definitely would want it taken care of. You just spend a ton of money, you don't want to put a damaged product on the car.

The baffle inside of the resonator could be damaged, who knows. It's easier to deal with it now rather then installing it and then noticing there is an issue.
      Yeah, I'm just the kind of person that after looking at that, "Oh, a dent. Hmm, maybe it's not that bad. lol.

Told my wife about it and showed her the pics and she flipped out. "WTF THATS A HUGE DENT YOU BETTER CALL THOSE PEOPLE RIGHT NOW AND GET THAT TAKEN CARE OF"

Response from autoanything after sending the pictures:

Thank you Michael,

I will partner with Borla and let you know as soon as I have a response.
      Fingers crossed. Thanks Durty.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      03-17-2011 01:43 PM #148
      Scratch that, already called up autoanything and spoke to a customer representative about the dent. Emailed pictures of the issue and will likely be receiving a replacement upper pipe assembly. Fingers crossed.

This place is really impressing me with their customer service so far.
      Yeah, get it replaced. It is in the resonator so it should be as big of a deal but when you pay that much for anything you should be given the opportunity to be the one to mess it up! I felt like that about my rotors, lol. They came in a bit scratched up and I was like grrrrr but got over it quickly. Being an OCD perfectionist sucks.

¤ Posted via Tapatalk on my Samsung Vibrant ¤

Vehicles
      MkV DBP R32 #462
      03-17-2011 01:45 PM #149
      If I recall there was a similar issue with the Blue Flame exhaust group buy shipments, and those were taken care of by the retailer. I know it's a different exhaust, but I would hope you receive the same good service.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubnick32 View Post
      That guy shouldn't own an R32. I bet he goes out dancing at least twice a week.

Vehicles
      03-17-2011 01:54 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      Yeah, get it replaced. It is in the resonator so it should be as big of a deal but when you pay that much for anything you should be given the opportunity to be the one to mess it up! I felt like that about my rotors, lol. They came in a bit scratched up and I was like grrrrr but got over it quickly. Being an OCD perfectionist sucks.

¤ Posted via Tapatalk on my Samsung Vibrant ¤
      Quote Originally Posted by skaven-R32 View Post
      If I recall there was a similar issue with the Blue Flame exhaust group buy shipments, and those were taken care of by the retailer. I know it's a different exhaust, but I would hope you receive the same good service.
      Thanks guys.

I'm really starting to fiddle with the idea of heading up for SoWo '11 now.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      03-18-2011 06:35 PM #151
      Still no response from autoanything just yet.

On the brighter side of things, booyah!

Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      03-18-2011 11:06 PM #152

Mods are coming along nicely
      Official OG .:R32 Owners Club Member

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-18-2011 11:16 PM #153
      Sucks about the exhaust. As stated, people had similar problems with the Blue Flame exhausts.

Also, my grandmother just called and said my package (hockey puck) from UPS arrived at her house. (I get everything shipped there because I don't get in from work until after 5-6pm).

Vehicles
      03-18-2011 11:30 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkNeo View Post

Mods are coming along nicely

The exhaust issue is a bit of a bump in the road. But such is the way of life. I'm just anxious to get it (and the hockey puck) on asap. I'm anxious to feel and hear the change in the drive and sound of the R once both pieces are installed.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      03-18-2011 11:32 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by PSU View Post
      Sucks about the exhaust. As stated, people had similar problems with the Blue Flame exhausts.

Also, my grandmother just called and said my package (hockey puck) from UPS arrived at her house. (I get everything shipped there because I don't get in from work until after 5-6pm).
      Dope!

I'm about this close | | to booking a room at the quality inn for SoWo. lol.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-18-2011 11:46 PM #156
      Dude, do it!

You don't have to pay until you show up.

It's going to be epic, and that's an understatement.

We are going to have MKIVs, MKVs and MKVIs out the wahzoo.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      03-19-2011 12:10 AM #157
      Dope!

Do it or you'll be shunned!!

Vehicles
      03-21-2011 10:56 PM #158
      rofl Beta. I meant to book today as a matter of fact but decided to install the HPA Core Interlock Mount today.

Holy hell what a pain in the ass. Getting out the OEM mount was hell but finally it did come out and the HPA core went in.

First impressions:

- Had my friend start the car up, noticeable decrease in engine movement.

- Had friend rev engine pretty hard in park, VERY noticeable decrease in engine movement. In fact, I smiled from ear to ear when I saw how little the engine bucked in this situation.

- Vibrations are present, but hardly. Only time I feel them is when the car is in D or S and I let off the brake and allow the car to roll. The vibrations are hardly worth complaining about though, they don't bother me and the advantages of this product far outweigh that one.

- Shifts are much smoother, crisper, less "noticeable" if that makes any sense. The mount does a really amazing job of getting rid of a lot of the R's DSG herky-jerkiness when shifting. The best way I can describe it.

- Shortly after installing the mount, I figured I'd really try this thing out. Took off from a stop and had my head yanked back because of how quickly power was transferred to the wheels in comparison to before. I just laughed.

- I saw someone list this mod under their "suspension" category in their mod list in another thread. I can't recall who but I can see why they did this. The mount tightens everything up, engine wise. Paired with the H&R coilovers I run, I felt like their less engine movement in turns as well and I'm able to accelerate harder through them (probably a misconception, more than likely just power being transferred better through said turns). This part wouldn't be considered an upgrade to suspension but it certainly feels like one.

I really have nothing bad to say about the HPA mount at all. The vibrations were a concern of mine prior to install but after driving the car with the mount installed, I can say that the vibrations are minimal, at best.

The install was a HUGE pain in the ass though. At one point, I felt like the OEM mount was just not going to come out. lol.

Beta listed in his thread that a 22m socket worked for him. A 22mm wasn't snug enough for me, a 7/8 inch socket worked better for me. I know they are technically the same when converting metric to SAE but the 7/8 was much more snug and allowed me to take off the very tight bolt that holds the mount(s) in place much easier.

One question though, and I asked this in beta's build thread as well, I know the HPA mount is a bit thicker than the OEM mount. Even after putting the HPA mount in as far as I could, it still "peeked" out a bit from the housing it sits in. Essentially, a small portion of the bottom half of the mount isn't sitting inside the housing. I was able to tighten the large bolt just fine and everything was lined up as it should've been though.

Cliffs: HPA Core Interlock Mount is a pain in the ass to install but SO worth it. SoWo 2011 here I (we) come! Booking a room at the quality inn tomorrow, hopefully anyways. lol.
      Last edited by mfbmike; 03-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      03-21-2011 11:06 PM #159
      FWIW mine seems to sit just a *hair* further in than the stock mount, so . . .

Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn, Sold: 2008 .:R32 #2651
      03-22-2011 12:34 PM #160
      Oh man, I'm so living vicariously through you right now. I have both the puck and Borlas on the way...Thanks for keeping everyone (read: me) posted about the new parts and now I really am looking forward to the parts.
      Now: 2013 Jetta GLI Autobahn
      Sold: 2008 .:R32 #2651/5000

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-22-2011 12:36 PM #161
      Booking a room at the quality inn tomorrow, hopefully anyways. lol.
      Sadly, yesterday, a guy posted up saying he got the very last room.

I'd still try and call and see if Lisa can do anything for you though.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-22-2011 01:50 PM #162
      Hey Mike,

What caused you so much trouble with getting the old mount out? You didn't use the drill and pull method?

I plan on doing mine Thursday.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      03-22-2011 02:06 PM #163
      Hey Mike,

What caused you so much trouble with getting the old mount out? You didn't use the drill and pull method?

It's difficulty is compounded by not having a lift. It wasn't HARD for me on a lift, but time consuming. I can see it being a real pain in the @$$ doing it on jack stands.

Just focus on chipping away the plastic outer ring like I suggested [and may others] and it'll be fairly quick work.

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      03-22-2011 04:57 PM #164
      It's difficulty is compounded by not having a lift. It wasn't HARD for me on a lift, but time consuming. I can see it being a real pain in the @$$ doing it on jack stands.

Just focus on chipping away the plastic outer ring like I suggested [and may others] and it'll be fairly quick work.
      Did you cut the center piece out first?

Vehicles
      03-22-2011 07:00 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by R3Drew View Post
      FWIW mine seems to sit just a *hair* further in than the stock mount, so . . .
      Mine has worked itself in a bit more since I first installed it.

All is well. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jolivergraham View Post
      Oh man, I'm so living vicariously through you right now. I have both the puck and Borlas on the way...Thanks for keeping everyone (read: me) posted about the new parts and now I really am looking forward to the parts.
      No problem. I enjoy this. Keeping track of my progress as I go along. It's not crazy fast in terms of speed of adding mods and my pictures or overall knowledge aren't the best out there but it's all good. If you have any questions, feel free.

Sadly, yesterday, a guy posted up saying he got the very last room.

I'd still try and call and see if Lisa can do anything for you though.
      Called lisa up earlier and she told me she had one non smoking room left with 1 king size bed. I booked.

Hey Mike,

Did it at a friends house, with the car on jackstands. Drill wasn't charged at the time. Trying to chisel with a screwdriver hammer in the tight spot that we were in is what made it the hardest I suppose. I went up one side of the mount and removed a pretty large chunk of plastic but the sting still didn't want to budge. Then I worked on another side, then pried it out at that point. I should take a pic of the oem mount now. It's all busted up. rofl.

Once it started moving outward, I caught a second wind and just slowly worked it until it popped right out. It was an amazing moment for me once it did pop out. lol.

Belly pan and 22mm bolt removal parts of the install were pretty self explanatory.

Exactly. Like I think you mentioned in your build thread, trying to cut/drill into the rubber part of the mount will not help at all. Work on chiseling up into the plastic wall.

I did not.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

26. Banned
      03-22-2011 07:52 PM #166
      Good choice on the borla.

Vehicles
      03-22-2011 08:00 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Av. View Post
      Good choice on the borla.
      Speaking of which, I'm shipping it back.

I received the return label email from autoanything for fedex to come pick it up and then I suppose I'll be receiving a new one. Bit of a bump in the road as I was hoping to have it on sooner but oh well. Everything happens for a reason.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

28. Banned
      03-22-2011 08:07 PM #168
      Speaking of which, I'm shipping it back.

I received the return label email from autoanything for fedex to come pick it up and then I suppose I'll be receiving a new one. Bit of a bump in the road as I was hoping to have it on sooner but oh well. Everything happens for a reason.
      That's unfortunate... It will be worth the wait though, that exhaust is very nice sounding. Would be my choice for exhaust if I was looking for one.

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      03-22-2011 08:22 PM #169
      The Borla hat

Vehicles
      03-23-2011 11:45 AM #170
      The Borla hat
      **** yeah. I'll probably never wear it but still a cool piece to have.

I've got my return shipping label for the exhaust and headed to the Fedex building to have this thing shipped back. Here's to a speedy replacement.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-23-2011 12:22 PM #171
      Thanks for the install tidbits and good to hear you got your room at Quality Inn.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      03-23-2011 12:30 PM #172
      I started to cut the black rubber piece out, but this piece is actually your best friend as you can put a screwdriver in the center hole and use it to get some leverage near the back side and wiggle side to side to work it out. I recommend not removing the center portion as this may prove more difficult to remove once you do work your way through the plastic wall.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      03-23-2011 12:33 PM #173
      I started to cut the black rubber piece out, but this piece is actually your best friend as you can put a screwdriver in the center hole and use it to get some leverage near the back side and wiggle side to side to work it out. I recommend not removing the center portion as this may prove more difficult to remove once you do work your way through the plastic wall.

this is what I had to do.

car is coming along famously.

well done.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      03-23-2011 01:05 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      this is what I had to do.

car is coming along famously.

well done.
      So, are you guys going back to Costa Rica????

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      03-23-2011 01:37 PM #175
      Dunno
      They said it was a "tie" and now voting continues through 4/1
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast