Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pump leak

02-07-2011 06:21 PM #1
      So one day you walk out move the car back run inside to get something and see an oil drop on the ground what could it be. A real comment sight to see is the vacuum pump leak. The vacuum pump for the brake booster is on the transaxle side. The seals go bad and there is no reseal kit. If you happen to have a manual tranaxle this is no big deal but on the auto transaxle side there is a nice short cut to get the pump out without taking the trans out.

Fist step is to get a few tools, sockets, xyz 12 point and a few ratchets.
      Next pull the battery and battery tray out, then remove holding bracket on starter 13mm hexnut.
      Then get under the car and take the torque converter nuts out, this will allow fow some free play. After that take the 16mm bolts for the trans-engine bolts and loosen them. Do not remove only loosen. Once all are loose disconnect the pendulam mount from the engine.
      Get a block of wood and a floor jack. Push the center where the engine and trans meet up. If you did not loosen the bolts for the trans enough you can loosen a little more but remember do not remove. This will allow the vacuum pump to be removed.
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      2010/VW/MKVI
      02-07-2011 06:36 PM #2

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-07-2011 06:53 PM #3
      when reading op's post i read it in ben stein's voice

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      02-07-2011 07:10 PM #4

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      02-07-2011 09:45 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mxkmster View Post
      So one day you walk out move the car back run inside to get something and see an oil drop on the ground what could it be. A real comment sight to see is the vacuum pump leak. The vacuum pump for the brake booster is on the transaxle side. The seals go bad and there is no reseal kit. If you happen to have a manual tranaxle this is no big deal but on the auto transaxle side there is a nice short cut to get the pump out without taking the trans out.

Next pull the battery and battery tray out, then remove holding bracket on starter 13mm hexnut.
      Then get under the car and take the torque converter nuts out, this will allow fow some free play. After that take the 16mm bolts for the trans-engine bolts and loosen them. Do not remove only loosen. Once all are loose disconnect the pendulam mount from the engine.
      Get a block of wood and a floor jack. Push the center where the engine and trans meet up. If you did not loosen the bolts for the trans enough you can loosen a little more but remember do not remove. This will allow the vacuum pump to be removed.
      I understand what you are talking about but I have seen this done though.

02-07-2011 11:19 PM #6
      Do we need pictures?
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      Candy White '10 GTI 6M
      02-08-2011 01:48 AM #7
      Whatever you do, don't shade tree your vacuum pump.
      EVE's Build Thread • APR Stage II / BSH RACE / B&B 3" / DG S6 / B&G RS2 / MOTUL / VMR

facebook twitter wheelflip • PM me for VAGCOM in NoVA

02-08-2011 10:29 PM #8
      Well its not shade tree it is a legit way to do it. I learned the trick from a master tech. If you were to do it the way the repair manual says you have to take the transmission out all the way. I have got the job down to roughly 2hrs. Its not hard it just sounds wierd. I though the same thing...I have to see it first. I took a few pics before my phone died of some stuff. What it comes down to is just doing half the steps. I've lost track of how many I've done. If anyone needs a full detail of every step I can explain in detail.
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      02-09-2011 01:08 AM #9
      What the hell is this thread about? Vacuum pump seal leak??? Do you have a MKIV?

Edit: Read through your posts, and I assume that you have a MKVI. Why didn't you go to the dealer? And what is up with the randomness/ lack of introduction?
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf TDI
      02-09-2011 02:42 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Edit: Read through your posts, and I assume that you have a MKVI. Why didn't you go to the dealer? And what is up with the randomness/ lack of introduction?
      x2

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      02-09-2011 04:43 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I thought he was talking about a MkIV...

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      02-09-2011 05:00 PM #12
      Well its not shade tree it is a legit way to do it.
      I'm sorry, maybe I'm getting old and tragically unhip, but what do you mean by shade tree? Is it doing something shoddily?

Edit: never mind, urban dictionary comes through again.
      Last edited by robkore; 02-09-2011 at 05:23 PM.

02-10-2011 12:02 AM #13
      Well long story short I actually do work at the dealer. This is a trade trick that might be use full to someone. Here the deal the pump cost 12 dollars. The labor is 700. So unless you would like to pay guy like me that can bang you for 2.5 hours of work and pocket the rest its an idea to keep in mind. I share to help out, I like the fact that if some one can help they should.
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      2011 GTI CSG 4d 6s
      02-10-2011 12:59 AM #14
      Well long story short I actually do work at the dealer. This is a trade trick that might be use full to someone. Here the deal the pump cost 12 dollars. The labor is 700. So unless you would like to pay guy like me that can bang you for 2.5 hours of work and pocket the rest its an idea to keep in mind. I share to help out, I like the fact that if some one can help they should.
      Why would I pay you to bang me for 2.5 hours?
      2011 GTI - Carbon Steel Grey, 4 door, 6 spd MT, 35% tint, OEM sunroof deflector, BSH Race Intake, Magnaflow CB, Uber-Stealth Orion 12" sub, Kenwood 1000 watt amp. GTI seat handle inserts, red footwell lighting, Koni coilovers, Ultimate Racing non-res/metal cat DP, APR Stage 2

Vehicles
      98 GTI VR6 S/C, 01 GTI VR6, 02 2.0L jetta wagon, 03 GTI VR6, Haro Mirra 540 Air
      02-23-2011 11:34 PM #15
      2.50 hours to replace a vacuum pump on a 5cylinder auto jetta...
      not to be condescending but that is terrible time for flat rate. i understand your description of removal of the pump by loosening the trans, however that souds like a terrible idea.
      if you would like to know how to remove the vacuum pump is 25 minutes (taking you time) PM me, ill walk you through.

02-25-2011 03:13 PM #16
      The time is for the pump replaced on warranty is over 4 hours. This action is due to the multi function range selector on the automatic transaxle. The selector shaft is in the way so it cant be taken out with out either doing it my way or doing as vw says and remove the transmission
      Dont shade tree it...

02-25-2011 03:15 PM #17
      Id love to see you try to do one on a automatic transaxle in 25 minutes
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      02-25-2011 09:57 PM #18
      The time is for the pump replaced on warranty is over 4 hours. This action is due to the multi function range selector on the automatic transaxle. The selector shaft is in the way so it cant be taken out with out either doing it my way or doing as vw says and remove the transmission
      i know the warranty time for pump replacement. i know what the procedure for pump replacement on a 5 cylinder automatic trans is.

Id love to see you try to do one on a automatic transaxle in 25 minutes
      ooohhh snaps.. a tech challenge. what dealer do you work for?

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-25-2011 10:41 PM #19
      Mxkmster, your posts trip me out

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      02-25-2011 10:52 PM #20
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-25-2011 10:58 PM #21

22. 05-02-2011 04:14 PM #22

Does this work around also apply to a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with auto? I assume it does but just want to make sure because my vacuum pump is leaking (weeping according to dealership). Still has powertrain warranty, but I dont think it will cover this.

Thanks...

Vehicles
      05-02-2011 07:24 PM #23
      yes it does. all mk5 jetta/golf with the 2.5L 09G auto trans.

however the way mxkmaster describes to perform this reapir is a little bit much.

24. 05-02-2011 10:28 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by vortexpert. View Post
      yes it does. all mk5 jetta/golf with the 2.5L 09G auto trans.

however the way mxkmaster describes to perform this reapir is a little bit much.
      So you recommend the Bentley instructions which call for complete removal of the Transmission? The dealership will want 750 to 1k to install this 9 dollar part assuming it is not covered by the powertrain warranty which I doubt it is.

Or is there an easier way?

Vehicles
      05-03-2011 08:25 PM #25
      are you replacing the metal gasket between the head and the vacuum pump?

26. 05-04-2011 12:22 AM #26
      are you replacing the metal gasket between the head and the vacuum pump?
      Both the vacuum pump and gasket are being replaced along with the rear main seal simply because the tranny will be out anyway (no labor charge for that, just the 30.00 seal).

The vacuum pump on my 06 has been superceded by a newer part that is used on 09 and later Jettas. The dealership would not let me use the older part which is now very inexpensive compared to the "improved part". None of it was covered under the powertrain warranty so I am having work done by a local shop that does all my non-warranty work. He is only charging me 4 hours of labor for the job and and I ordered the parts from our parts hookup here on the board. That saved me alot of money as-well. Looks like all told it will cost about 600 or so labor included, and I get the rear seal replaced as a bonus.
      Last edited by wooglins; 05-04-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      05-04-2011 12:26 AM #27
      This thread is full of...

New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

28. 05-04-2011 04:30 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      This thread is full of...

I dont get it?

29. 10-06-2011 01:28 AM #29
      i know the warranty time for pump replacement. i know what the procedure for pump replacement on a 5 cylinder automatic trans is.

ooohhh snaps.. a tech challenge. what dealer do you work for?
      Just so everyone knows... I contacted Vortexpert about his "25 minute" replacement of the pump. No response... Because it is not possible!!! Talk is what it is...

For everyone else hatin' on Mxkmster... This definitely helps. Did not need to pull the torque converter bolts, but not removing the tranny is a big deal. Props to Mxkmster

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 09:57 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtoplaywith View Post
      Just so everyone knows... I contacted Vortexpert about his "25 minute" replacement of the pump. No response... Because it is not possible!!! Talk is what it is...

For everyone else hatin' on Mxkmster... This definitely helps. Did not need to pull the torque converter bolts, but not removing the tranny is a big deal. Props to Mxkmster
      next chance i get ill provide a full step by step on pump replacement.
      it is possible.

10-31-2011 01:43 AM #31
      There is a way to remove the vacuum pump like vortexpert says in 25min. One is if you have manual transaxle. The other is you take the cover off of the pump and flip the pump upside down over the multi selector. I have heard about it. But it defeats the point of a new part.

If the cover is removed from the pump it fits over the multi selector, the down side is that the seal inside expands and becomes bigger. It does the same thing that fuel pump seal does.
      Dont shade tree it...

32. 11-18-2011 12:10 AM #32
      What time? If it is only 25 minutes, it should not be a long write up

I had to try it myself... Yes, it seems that it will eventually come out without sliding the trans, but IT WILL NOT!

If I was gonna remove the cover off a new pump to get it on, I would take the cover off the old pump and replace the seal!

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      11-18-2011 12:41 AM #33
      You bumped this for what reason?
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

34. 11-26-2012 12:36 PM #34
      Just did my first vacuum pump on an automatic. Thanks Mkmster. I was able to save a poor college student some money. Nevermind the haters, they will never understand.
      Chris

Vehicles
      09 Jetta TDI, 01 4DR Golf 1.8T, 01 Jetta 1.8T Wagon, 01 Cabrio, 91 Jetta Coupe, VR6T, 99 f350 7.3.
      12-22-2012 08:18 PM #35
      I just did my vacuum pump on an 06 beetle 2.5. You can do the change of the pump and or the pump gasket WITHOUT doing anything to separate transmission from the motor. I even left the battery tray with battery still in place. It was not nearly as bad as i had read. Next will be the water pump and t stat with housing. That looks like it will be fun.
      Last edited by VW NUTTS; 12-22-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast