Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Journal Bearing Precision VRT guys - Are you running an oil restrictor

Vehicles
      93' Corrado SLC turbo, 96' Volvo 854 R
      04-18-2011 10:41 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      If you're seeing 150psi, you have problems.

The VR6 makes no more oil pressure than any other motor. The 4.6 DOHC's in the 03/04 Cobras have notoriously high oil pressures and there's guys running journal bearing turbos all day long with no restrictors.

Not that it matters much, but I have had my 6262 on for over a week now, no restrictor, no problems. Cold starts every morning and it got run hard yesterday up through the mountains.
      No problems here. 8-10 bar on cold mornings/cold motor. That's just under 150psi. Had 3 slc's and they've all done that.

Again. Restrictor and no issues.

Run what you want, but where are all the issues from the guys running restrictors on jb turbos? I haven't seen it. Usually the other way around.

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 10:43 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by V-dubbulyuh View Post
      That sounds pretty excessive, does your car run that high?

Each setup is unique but I have never seen a VR run oil pressure that high (not on initial cold start nor at high RPM). The stock oil pump is supposedly top-end governed (though I can't recall what its upper limit is). If people are regularly seeing that kind of oil pressure they might have some other issues at hand.
      You have a mk3 and mk4 in your sig. I have an oil pressure gauge in my car. Do you regularly monitor oil pressure on mk3's and 4's?

3. Member
      04-18-2011 11:23 PM #53
      You know. I think there is a oil pressure bypass on that pump. I was just looking at some pics of these pumps and it sure looks like one. Now I havent looked but if your hitting 150psi pressures I bet thats not working properly on your car.

4. Member
      04-19-2011 02:52 AM #54
      hes going of stock vw gauges.. like the temp gauge will stay in the center but could range from 180* to 220* but 150psi.. calling bs unless you have the time slips to prove other wise..
      Caddy ABA-t holset hx35 :-) GLX VR-T.... TDI daily

DCI

Vehicles
      Mk3 VRT, Mk4 VRT, Mk4 VRT, A3 VR, B5 1.8BT
      04-19-2011 07:05 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by slcturbo View Post
      You have a mk3 and mk4 in your sig. I have an oil pressure gauge in my car. Do you regularly monitor oil pressure on mk3's and 4's?
      Yep, monitor oil pressure on all my cars (vr or otherwise). Mk3 is daily driven and never sees in excess of 75-80 psi (due to external oil cooler and associated plumbing, ~6ft). Mk4 will read right around 100 psi initially on cold start but soon tapers back to a sane 75-80 psi. All other non-turbo vr applications, 80. Again, that pump is governed so I am not sure why people are getting oil pressure that high. It is a moot point though, if your setup is working for you and you are not blowing your turbo up then kudos to you.
      "OP sounds like a MKIV guy"

04-19-2011 07:33 AM #56
      No problems here. 8-10 bar on cold mornings/cold motor. That's just under 150psi.
      You have something wrong with your pump then.

7. Member
      04-19-2011 07:38 AM #57
      either that or hes using grease for motor oil and running it to redline on cold start.

Vehicles
      dirty jap slut
      04-19-2011 10:15 AM #58
      Precision 6265, -4 feed, -10 drain, no restrictor, no issues
      Block has 150+k miles, pushes 28psi

Vehicles
      Not Vortex Approved
      04-19-2011 12:18 PM #59
      24 valve
      6265 journal bearing
      -4 feed
      -? restrictor + 90º Elbow
      -10 return into oilpan

it's been mint.

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 12:39 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
      6265 journal bearing

it's been mint.
      Any idea what your oil pressure is?

11. Member
      04-19-2011 07:45 PM #61
      2 guys up there with 6262 12v got any vids ? i wanna see what my car will be like im dying to get it running

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 07:47 PM #62
      Incorrect.

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 07:49 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by V-dubbulyuh View Post
      Yep, monitor oil pressure on all my cars (vr or otherwise). Mk3 is daily driven and never sees in excess of 75-80 psi (due to external oil cooler and associated plumbing, ~6ft). Mk4 will read right around 100 psi initially on cold start but soon tapers back to a sane 75-80 psi. All other non-turbo vr applications, 80. Again, that pump is governed so I am not sure why people are getting oil pressure that high. It is a moot point though, if your setup is working for you and you are not blowing your turbo up then kudos to you.
      Really? So you drive around with an oil pressure gauge hooked up in all temps/conditions?

Can I ask why? I've been a tech for ~10 years and had to monitor oil pressure maybe 3x.

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 07:52 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGninja View Post
      either that or hes using grease for motor oil and running it to redline on cold start.
      Redline 10W-30. Cold start sees idle only. 8-10bar in colder weather settling to ~2bar at idle when fully warmed up. 100% normal.

All 3 of my slc's have done this

The car has been drag raced consistently for 4 years without issue. If there was a problem I would have know it by now

04-19-2011 08:39 PM #65
      Incorrect.

You realize that you can quote multiple posts in one reply right?

You should not be seeing 150 psi oil pressure under any circumstance, unless you pumped a tube of lithium grease into your crankcase and started it in the middle of winter. The pump has a bypass valve, apparently yours isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by optiks View Post
      2 guys up there with 6262 12v got any vids ? i wanna see what my car will be like im dying to get it running
      No vids but it runs pretty good on 10lbs. I'm running out of fuel at the very top on anything more - good ol' OBD1 limited tuning options. I have the .82 T3 hotside and it starts coming on around 3500, and really comes alive at 4000. No tire spin in 2nd gear like I had with the stock Kinetic turbo, and power comes on smooth and strong.
      Last edited by SVTDanny; 04-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Vehicles
      04-19-2011 09:04 PM #66
      Really? So you drive around with an oil pressure gauge hooked up in all temps/conditions?

Can I ask why? I've been a tech for ~10 years and had to monitor oil pressure maybe 3x.
      Answer: Yes

Explanation: Follows below -

Your post has me baffled. Let us start with the fact that oil pressure is the single most critical parameter upon engine start-up, fact. Let me challenge you as a tech by asking what other parameter can singly lead to engine failure other than lack of oil pressure (ie lubrication) on start-up?

Refer to just about any engine related industry other than automobile (aircraft, marine) and engine start procedure per checklist mandates that oil pressure be verified immediately upon start-up (oil temp being secondary) and if not acceptable the motor must be immediately shut down. Cars are no different and since you are a tech, you will know that most of the high end cars (see Jaguar, Porsche, etc) do also come with oil pressure gauges stock for the reasons I just mentioned.

VW went to the extent of fitting 2 independent oil pressure alerting systems (high dynamic and low pressure warnings) that not only have an idiot light but an aural buzzer if oil pressure requirements are not met. Why then would I not want to monitor oil pressure in all temps and conditions? The high and low pressure warning systems on your VW are not conditional, they function at all times. That being said, a lot of guys delete the stock oil pressure sender and replace it with the aftermarket one for the gauge (in this case it would be very unwise NOT to always run the oil pressure gauge as your idiot light is now eliminated). Beyond this, after going to the trouble to install an oil pressure sender why would you disconnect your gauge? I am not understanding your rationale here.

Vehicles
      04-20-2011 07:08 AM #67
      Who said I disconnected anything?

Again, 3 slc's and they've all behaved the same way. The engine has run flawless since the rebuild 15k ago and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I appreciate your concern, but I can't say I share your sentiments

Vehicles
      04-20-2011 07:10 AM #68
      You realize that you can quote multiple posts in one reply right?

You should not be seeing 150 psi oil pressure under any circumstance, unless you pumped a tube of lithium grease into your crankcase and started it in the middle of winter. The pump has a bypass valve, apparently yours isn't working.

1) I choose not to because you like it so much.

2) My car is fine, but thanks for the concern

Vehicles
      04-20-2011 07:32 AM #69
      Who said I disconnected anything?

Again, 3 slc's and they've all behaved the same way. The engine has run flawless since the rebuild 15k ago and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I appreciate your concern, but I can't say I share your sentiments
      Really not a concern. You asked a question and I provided valid answers. If you go back to an earlier post of mine I have stated that I'm happy that you have no issues. Ultimately I don't care what any of you guys do to your cars. I wish you continued success but to think that monitoring oil pressure is a temporary state especially with 150 psi then ... it's all on you.

04-20-2011 07:45 AM #70
      2) My car is fine, but thanks for the concern

Never said it wasn't, and I have no concern.

Vehicles
      dirty jap slut
      04-21-2011 10:13 AM #71
      Back on topic...

If my seals were blown due to excessive oil pressure; would the car be smoking all the time? My buddy says I don't smoke at all while in WOT and full boost it does smoke a little on warm up and decel

Vehicles
      04-21-2011 10:22 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by dub_slug View Post
      I don't smoke at all while in WOT and full boost it does smoke a little on warm up and decel

That's exactly what mine did when the seals were blown. James Bond all over the ****ing place.

It might be a function of EGT & flow, ie for the volume of oil leaking (volume being constant since this particular turbo had a restrictor), if the temp exceeds a certain level the rate of burn and gas flow is so rapid that you don't "see" the smoke plume (but oil is still being burned). When you slow down the oil burns slower and the overall rate of exhaust gas is less (the smoke stagnates and you see it).

Vehicles
      dirty jap slut
      04-21-2011 10:35 AM #73
      Hmm that's very interesting. Where would I go about getting an inline oil pressure gauge so that I can make sure I'm not doing something wrong?
      Or can I log oil pressure through VAG-COM?

Vehicles
      04-21-2011 10:47 AM #74
      If your oil pressure sender is tapped off the oil filter housing (which I assume is where you are running your oil feed line from) then the pressure will be identical (assuming no additional restriction in your oil line itself).

If your oil feed is from someplace other than the filter housing then your concern is valid and you might need to monitor pressure literally from the line itself (uncommon).

Never checked oil pressure in Vag-Com but who knows, might be possible?

Vehicles
      dirty jap slut
      04-22-2011 10:01 PM #75
      I'll be doing some logs via vag-com to see what pressures I'm running. But for now the gti will be back off the road since I stripped 3rd gear at 22psi...gonna save up for the aptuning gforce setup

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast