Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: battery disconnected, do i need to reprogram ecu?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS VR6
      02-09-2011 04:38 PM #1
      just bought a 2000 vr6 and the battery was disconnected when i bought it. after driving it 50 miles, i parked it and let it run for 5 minutes, and a check engine code came on. called dealer, they said it needs to be reprogramed with vag com after the battery is disconnected. located a guy in my area with a vag com set up, and he says he knows nothing about reprogramming, just running codes.
      my car runs rough at idle, and thats what my haynes manual says to expect after a battery disconnect. anyone know what/how to reprogram after a battery disconnect? 2000 Jetta GLS VR6.

Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta TDI, 02 GTI VR6, 00 Golf 1.8T
      02-09-2011 04:40 PM #2
      No.

Your car probably has some fault. Get it scanned, and post back with the codes.

3. 02-09-2011 04:41 PM #3
      after the battery is unplugged it doesn't need to be reprogrammed at all, seems to me as if the dealer cleared the code before you bought and may have ripped you off
      Virgin OEM Parts = a hard tug and a mess.. Dont be afraid..

Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 03 Sentra SE-R
      02-09-2011 04:41 PM #4
      i dont think you need to reprogram it after it has been disconnected from the battery
      it will forget all the parameters that are unique to the driver, but will learn it as you drive it
      run the CEL, see what comes up, maybe it will give you a clue to whats wrong with the car , why its idling rough

oh and welcome to the forum
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Dubbing_Lopez View Post
      Wrecked mk4 turns into a mk5, Wrecked mk5 turns into.....a Honda!

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburry
      02-09-2011 04:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bprz09 View Post
      after the battery is unplugged it doesn't need to be reprogrammed at all, seems to me as if the dealer cleared the code before you bought and may have ripped you off
      this. an ecu doesnt just reset. u need to pull some codes
      Quote Originally Posted by cosman25 View Post
      looks like I fell victim to dubbinbeans dead thread bumping.
      Quote Originally Posted by bobbyk94 View Post
      wish i was as cool as dubbinbeans
      Steeze ftw

Vehicles
      '05 BMP GLI
      02-09-2011 04:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by bprz09 View Post
      This... To the best of my knowledge, when you disconnect the battery it clears whatever codes were being thrown. When you reconnect the battery, your car will pick up the same codes after being driven for a while since the problems weren't fixed, the computer was just reset temporarily.

I'm thinking your got ripped off

Vehicles
      02-09-2011 05:48 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GTINC View Post
      In the 11 1/2 years of owning my GTI, I have had only two CEL that did not auto reset in a day or two.
      There is two CEL's???

Some of the codes will go away after fixing the problem without erasing them once the ECU goes thru the failed test again. Common practice is to fix the problem, and erase codes.

Vehicles
      02-09-2011 06:20 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GTINC View Post
      As you likely know, there can be transient errors recorded that give a CEL, but are not a legitimate fault. If the car operates normally and you have a CEL, there is likely nothing wrong and the CEL will auto reset in a few days.
      You should always scan it IMO. Sometimes there is "intermittent" problems that can come back to bite you in the buttocks.

Usually the ECU will clear the CEL after X amount of engine restarts without the fault for most things.\

Or you can delete all the emissions (not saying you should )

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t GTI (dead) 337 (being built)
      02-09-2011 08:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ Gonzo View Post
      Usually the ECU will clear the CEL after X amount of engine restarts without the fault for most things.)
      I can see him sitting in his driveway just starting his car and turning it off continuously hoping it hoes away.

OP, as stated...it sounds like they cleared the code so you didn't see it. I'd get it scanned somewhere and go from there. If you have any kind of warranty, go back.

Vehicles
      02-09-2011 09:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by zrau17 View Post
      I can see him sitting in his driveway just starting his car and turning it off continuously hoping it hoes away.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS VR6
      02-09-2011 09:35 PM #11
      fairly certain that the battery was disconnected so i wouldnt see the code, and i'm almost certain the code is something relating to air/fuel mix or egr........car runs and drives great but idles rough and the lights kinda flicker a little at idle (i'm guessing due to the constant change in engine speed). heater hardly gets got, will be checking thermostat and heater core tomorrow.....but getting a vr6 with no leaks and no damage for 3k, you expect there to be SOMETHING wrong with the car..........

Vehicles
      E46 M, 2500HD, GSXR 750, '91 GTI, '59 Ragtop
      02-09-2011 10:04 PM #12
      Sometimes you need to do a throttle body adapt (basic settings block 060) after the battery is disconnected.

Could be it but sounds like the dealer cleared something the way you said the cel came on.
      pm for air freshener installs. master certified, high rates.