Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Jetta GLS battery drain

1. 02-09-2011 10:58 PM #1
      Imagine this. Another problem with a 2001 Jetta (4-cylinder GLS) and a parasitic battery drain. Details below, and any insight you can provide would be helpful.

Condition and Tests

* car killed three batteries in two years (no problem starting in summer, but winter breaks them).

* charged existing battery to 12.4 volts, disconnected it, and then reconnected one week later to reveal 12.4 volts. (should be 12.6 at full charge, sure, but only got to 12.4)

* connected battery overnight, 12.4 volts dropped to 11.8, no start.

* same result as above with brand-new battery (including 12.4 volt limit on full charge and subsequent voltage drop).

* multimeter says alternator charging normally (steady reading of 14.5 with car running, tested on both batteries)

* set multimeter to 10 amps, and readings jumped around - 0.5, 0.85, 1.1 - then quit to 0.0 with 10-amp fuse blown (verified with continuity test on fuse pulled from multimeter).

* after three days with battery disconnected, placed a 12-volt test light (0.4-amp draw) in-line, and pulled everything I could think of one-by-one --- all fuses (battery fuses and interior panel), Monsoon audio (radio, amplifier, and CD), and alternator --- but test light (rather bright) would not go out.

Observations (some odd)

* radio retains presets, even with week-long battery disconnect. (unheard of, in my experience)

* CD player, a usual suspect, is factory but installed aftermarket (and removing it didn't make light go out)

* test light glimmered - brighter, dimmer, brighter - not a steady consistent light.

* with fuse 42 (radio, 25-amp) removed, test light would glimmer in sync with loud clicking in the dash behind the odometer: louder clicks = brighter light, quieter clicks = dimmer light.

* glove box, trunk, and interior lights go out when glove box or trunk closed and/or car turned off.

* all auto locks and windows work properly, but can hear what sounds like a window motor trying to wind when doors are unlocked.

Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 16v Audi A4 TQM
      03-14-2011 01:27 AM #2
      Going to bump this one. Found it in a search trying to find out if my 2001 golf gls will run fine on a 90 amp alternator (rather than a 120). Would like to see some ideas on the original post. Having some similar problems although mine might be fixed with a new alternator.

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      03-14-2011 01:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by sciroccosven View Post
      Going to bump this one. Found it in a search trying to find out if my 2001 golf gls will run fine on a 90 amp alternator (rather than a 120). Would like to see some ideas on the original post. Having some similar problems although mine might be fixed with a new alternator.
      90 amp is stock, only VRs have the 120 I thought, but you can install one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I read this in Samuel L. Jackson's voice to make it more interesting. That's all I got.
      2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T 4Motion 5M/T [Current]
      2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Q/MT [Sold]
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 16v Audi A4 TQM
      03-14-2011 03:13 AM #4
      OK, couldn't find anything to directly confirm that one but good to know.

Now so I am not hijacking this slightly older thread I will add this....
      To Jetta help needed. If you have an hour of your time to kill try yanking your alternator and have it tested (keep your pulley on, bentley will tell you it needs to come off but I think that is due to the lower bolt being covered by the belt. Your autoparts store needs the pulley in order to test the alternator. You can just remove the tensioner with the 3 13mm bolts if you have trouble getting to the lower alternator bracket bolt). This will at least let you know if your alternator is part of your problem.

I have had electrical problems and battery drain problems. Car would run and carry a charge. One day started having systems fail and finally the car died while driving (I am assuming that the car didn't have enough juice to properly supply the systems then ultimately couldnt keep the car running.) I recharged the battery at autozone and put it back in the car. Drove the car to autozone and had them test my charging system while the car was running. No power. Yanked the alternator and it failed. I think the alternator was on its way out for some time now and was causing some problems. I couldnt figure it out until it finally gave out completely on me but it explains a lot of symptoms I was having likely caused by too few amps to operate the electrical system.