Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 77

    Thread: CEL Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor

    1. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2010
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      153
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Cabriolet 1.8 8v
      07-12-2011 02:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      Thanks for putting this out there. My Wife's CC just got this code yesterday. Unfortunately, she has over 40k on her 2009 2.0t So, no warranty.

      I may need to see what is involved in taking the intake man apart and repairing this as I am not keen on buying a new intake.. From what it looked like, there may be debris or lack of lubrication on the actuator shaft. If this is the case, I can see this being a very common occurrence for others down the road. I did try to spray some cleaner and lubrication on a whim yesterday and reset the code. Drove it for a bit, but the code when she took it back out today.

      I am gong to pull off the vacuum lines and check for "debris" in there or any other signs of bad vacuum lines, etc.

      First VW purchased new in a very long time and not really thrilled about this to be honest.

      it really isnt the debris that is the problem. in all honesty, its just the manufacturing of the electrical components. the fault is set off by the flap motor that sits on the right of the manifold. the new manifold comes with a new intake pressure sensor, and a new flap motor already installed. you just have to transfer the fuel lines, the pcv valve and another small sensor on the front of the manifold. I am a tech in the D.C. area and we have cars with these faults come in all the time. And very rarely do you see debris in the vacuum system related to this fault. Now that isnt to say that there isnt carbon build up in the intake ports on the head, but that is due to the fact that the fuel injectors are under the intake ports so the fuel doesnt get to clean the ports out, so that part you will sea alot of carbon build up. especially with 40k on the motor...which by the way is one of the most important maintenance procedures on our DUBs, so be mindful of that as well. anyway taking off the intake manifold isnt as bad as it looks. You only need a few tools and a lil bit of patience. you will need a T30 torx bit to remove the bolts from the manifold (there are 6 of them i believe, and also two 10mm bolts on the lower part of the manifold), you also need to take off the throttle body, it makes it alot easier to maneuver and finagle with the manifold once its off, you also will need a flat head screw driver. take off the intercooler piping from the throttle body, you will end up removing about a two foot section of plastic and rubber tubing. take the throttle body off after that, (dont forget to disconnect all the connectors) un bolt the manifold and be sure again to disconnect the connectors before you start pulling. once everything is disconnected, un bolted this is the part where you have to be very careful. you can go ahead and tug on the manifold untill it starts to back out. make sure you pull it straight from its point of mounting or you run the chance of bending a fuel injector and trust me....you dont want to sepnd the money on one of those. after a few tugs the manifold should come loose. you will need to replace the fuel injector seals at the point, (you need to everytime you remove the manifold). thats really all it takes to remove the manifold. and obviously do the steps in reverse order to reinstall the new manifold...which you will need to do in order to rid of that fault. gl

    2. Member BAD SNaCKY's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2004
      Location
      Eagleville, PA
      Posts
      3,742
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX
      07-24-2011 02:39 PM #27
      reported all the noted symptoms WELL before 50K....
      dealership says they can't help me unless there is a CEL, so oday i passed 55K and a CEL came on.
      I scanned it myself and what do you know....i got the 2015 code.

      I KNEW IT

      thank god my dealership is willing to work with me on this one.
      Last edited by BAD SNaCKY; 07-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.
      I still miss her </3

      Formerly ShippensburgGTI

    3. Member piperpilot964's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2009
      Location
      CT, USA
      Posts
      394
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, Candy White
      07-24-2011 10:34 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by dasdub89 View Post
      it really isnt the debris that is the problem. in all honesty, its just the manufacturing of the electrical components. the fault is set off by the flap motor that sits on the right of the manifold. the new manifold comes with a new intake pressure sensor, and a new flap motor already installed. you just have to transfer the fuel lines, the pcv valve and another small sensor on the front of the manifold. I am a tech in the D.C. area and we have cars with these faults come in all the time. And very rarely do you see debris in the vacuum system related to this fault. Now that isnt to say that there isnt carbon build up in the intake ports on the head, but that is due to the fact that the fuel injectors are under the intake ports so the fuel doesnt get to clean the ports out, so that part you will sea alot of carbon build up. especially with 40k on the motor...which by the way is one of the most important maintenance procedures on our DUBs, so be mindful of that as well. anyway taking off the intake manifold isnt as bad as it looks. You only need a few tools and a lil bit of patience. you will need a T30 torx bit to remove the bolts from the manifold (there are 6 of them i believe, and also two 10mm bolts on the lower part of the manifold), you also need to take off the throttle body, it makes it alot easier to maneuver and finagle with the manifold once its off, you also will need a flat head screw driver. take off the intercooler piping from the throttle body, you will end up removing about a two foot section of plastic and rubber tubing. take the throttle body off after that, (dont forget to disconnect all the connectors) un bolt the manifold and be sure again to disconnect the connectors before you start pulling. once everything is disconnected, un bolted this is the part where you have to be very careful. you can go ahead and tug on the manifold untill it starts to back out. make sure you pull it straight from its point of mounting or you run the chance of bending a fuel injector and trust me....you dont want to sepnd the money on one of those. after a few tugs the manifold should come loose. you will need to replace the fuel injector seals at the point, (you need to everytime you remove the manifold). thats really all it takes to remove the manifold. and obviously do the steps in reverse order to reinstall the new manifold...which you will need to do in order to rid of that fault. gl
      What is the recommended way to do this cleaning maintenance? Should it be removed and cleaned manually or does the B&G cleaning procedure/solution take care of it?

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2010
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      153
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Cabriolet 1.8 8v
      07-25-2011 11:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot964 View Post
      What is the recommended way to do this cleaning maintenance? Should it be removed and cleaned manually or does the B&G cleaning procedure/solution take care of it?
      the BG stuff is great. is cleans up alot of the carbon build up very well. The cleaning procedure if you were to do it urself, which unless u know VW, i wouldnt do it alone, is a very tedious and dirty job. there are little flaps that u pull out from the intake ports, those are generally a culprit in the CEL world. because of the fuel injection design like i said earlier, ther get very dirty. The best way to clean the intake ports tho, is once you remove the mani, cover up the injectors, actually cover up as much of the engine bay as possible. WEAR EYE protection. buy a can of throttle body or carb cleaner and spray the intake ports, if u have compressed air or something equivalent, blow out each port untill almost all of the carbon and debris is gone. it'll take a while to give it a good cleaning. but once ur done, and if its done right, ur kitty will purr like there is no tomorrow

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2009
      Location
      Columbus, Oh
      Posts
      599
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC
      03-02-2012 10:31 AM #30
      Got the P2015 code about four weeks ago. Reset it and on my way. A week later it came on again, reset it again. Then it started coming on within 20min of resetting it. Took it to the dealer (MAG in Dublin Ohio) and it is covered under the drive train warranty. They are replacing it today. I have 57000 miles on it so it came under the 5/60K mile drive train warranty. Best damn phone call I've had all week!
      2009 CC Lux, Iron Gray Metallic, Cornsilk/Beige, Dynaudio, Tint F35%, R20%, R pedals, Euro Switch, VAG
      2004 Nissan Quest SE, Dark Red, Gray Leather
      1987 GMC S-15 Jimmy, old SQ IASCA comp vehicle

    6. Junior Member zcar4me's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2011
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      78
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Sport & 1992 300ZX
      03-02-2012 11:31 AM #31
      I wish there was a mod where you could remove the flapper function altogether. I'll take the slight reduction in low end torque, if I don't ever have to worry about this.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2009
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      509
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey, Tinted Windows, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB, APR Stg I
      03-02-2012 02:52 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot964 View Post
      Had a chat with the service guys concerning what was really done when mine was replaced last month. Apparently the intake has been redesigned to strengthen the point where the flapper motor linkage connects to the actuating shaft. So they should be replacing the whole intake when the flapper acts up.
      When I had my intake manifold replaced at about 39k, the dealer told me essentially the same thing. There was a design issue with the old manifold and the part has been updated. I also had P2015 and then multiple misfires. For me the "adjustment lever" on the "intake runner" had completely broken off. Yikes! My dealer was great about the whole thing and included replacing all injectors and doing a carbon build up clean all under warranty.
      2009 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey Metallic, Tinted Windows, Blue Tooth, APR Stage I, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB
      Audio setup: Focal 165 KRX2 in the front (crossovers removed) powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (one channel per speaker); ARC Audio KAR 265 in the rear powered by Alpine PDX-4.100 (bridged); 8" 250W Powered Bazooka Sub; RF 360.2 Digital Signal Processor

    8. 06-11-2012 10:12 PM #33
      Been having the CEL come on and off, but yesterday it stayed on. Took it to the dealership this evening and yep..P2015 code. The light was off when they looked at it, but found it in the memory.
      The service writer shared with me that the part is $220,and the install is four hours at a total of $519.
      The problem was written up as a manifold runner position switch/sensor circuit range performance. Needs part #06J-133-201-AS.
      Thinking this should be a good rainy day project soon.

    9. Member MrRline's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix,Arizona
      Posts
      5,440
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      06-11-2012 10:54 PM #34
      Just out of curiosity how many of you are over 60k miles? Anything with p2015 should be covered under the power train warranty for the car and in the event like with mine last week with the flapper motor failing the entire intake manifold was replaced at no cost to me.
      2010 CC R-line. H&R, BSH
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH, CTS Turbo, ST Coilovers,AWE, VMR Wheels, GIAC, Milltek

    10. Member BAD SNaCKY's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2004
      Location
      Eagleville, PA
      Posts
      3,742
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX
      06-12-2012 03:51 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Just out of curiosity how many of you are over 60k miles? Anything with p2015 should be covered under the power train warranty for the car and in the event like with mine last week with the flapper motor failing the entire intake manifold was replaced at no cost to me.
      I was at 51K when i first started noticing 'symptoms'. My long trials and tribulations thread here:

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...103-TSI-owners...
      I still miss her </3

      Formerly ShippensburgGTI

    11. 06-12-2012 10:12 PM #36
      At 82,000

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2004
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      110
      Vehicles
      '10 CC 2.0T 6Spd, '07 Volvo XC90 3.2, '00 B5 1.8T 5 spd (ret.), '99 B5 1.8T 5 spd wagon (ret.)
      07-21-2012 06:58 PM #37
      Was coming back from Vegas today, MIL goes on. When I threw the Vag Com on the car (it's at about 26,700ish miles) I saw the following:

      1 Fault Found:
      008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
      P2015 - 000 - - - Intermittent - MIL ON

      I checked VW Vortex and saw that I went through this last time at 7900 miles. This is getting scary. Luckily, still under warranty. Can't wait to see what the dealership says since they already supposedly replaced the intake manifold with the updated part last time.

      Stay tuned, friends...

    13. Member Chutem16V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2004
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      401
      Vehicles
      1988 GTI 16v
      07-23-2012 08:16 AM #38
      I have a 2010 Passat with the 2.0 motor & the DSG. My car has always (since new) been very grabby & lurched at lower speeds - very annoying at low speeds. I had it to the the dealer many times ( the service manager actually drove the car himself for a few days). I really thought it was the DSG or the mechatronics unit. I learned to live with it, but did not always feel the love for the car. At 45k, a coil pack went & they replaced it N/C (I have the Platinum extended warranty to 100K - but they said it was factory warranteed). Last week (at 50K), another coil pack went. They replaced it N/C, but also replaced the entire intake manifold & flapper motor - THE CODE FINALLY SHOWED UP - (all N/C - not even the $100 deductible). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The car feels 99% better & light years better in the drivability category. The service manager said he never heard of this result from this recall - but he has done quite a few! Kudos to Reydel VW in Edison, NJ - WAY COOL!.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2009
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      509
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey, Tinted Windows, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB, APR Stg I
      07-23-2012 03:50 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Chutem16V View Post
      I have a 2010 Passat with the 2.0 motor & the DSG. My car has always (since new) been very grabby & lurched at lower speeds - very annoying at low speeds. I had it to the the dealer many times ( the service manager actually drove the car himself for a few days). I really thought it was the DSG or the mechatronics unit. I learned to live with it, but did not always feel the love for the car. At 45k, a coil pack went & they replaced it N/C (I have the Platinum extended warranty to 100K - but they said it was factory warranteed). Last week (at 50K), another coil pack went. They replaced it N/C, but also replaced the entire intake manifold & flapper motor - THE CODE FINALLY SHOWED UP - (all N/C - not even the $100 deductible). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The car feels 99% better & light years better in the drivability category. The service manager said he never heard of this result from this recall - but he has done quite a few! Kudos to Reydel VW in Edison, NJ - WAY COOL!.
      So they replaced the intake manifold bc a code showed up or is there some recall on the flapper motor?

      Also, could you explain in a bit more detail what sort of drivability issues you were having at low speeds? Would you describe them as "hesitations" or "hiccups"? Did they occur at specific rpms? Did hot temps make them worse?
      2009 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey Metallic, Tinted Windows, Blue Tooth, APR Stage I, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB
      Audio setup: Focal 165 KRX2 in the front (crossovers removed) powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (one channel per speaker); ARC Audio KAR 265 in the rear powered by Alpine PDX-4.100 (bridged); 8" 250W Powered Bazooka Sub; RF 360.2 Digital Signal Processor

    15. Member Chutem16V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2004
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      401
      Vehicles
      1988 GTI 16v
      07-23-2012 05:59 PM #40
      It pretty much happened at low speeds (crawling in traffic. start/stop in town, etc.). If I was at a stop in traffic on the hwy & took my foot off the brake, the car would surge forward, & get real grabby like the trans (or the clutch packs) were slipping. Turn a corner & when you put your foot on the gas it would grab kinda hard (very annoying). Hot or cold didn't matter. Sometimes (this is weird) when I put it in reverse, it would take a good few seconds before it would grab (now it goes it quite a bit quicker). Like I said it's not perfect, but I think that now it is fixed - this is how the car should be. I was thinking of trading it in before this (to sell on my own - I think if someone did a test drive, they would notice the jerkiness - my wife hated it), now I think I'll keep it. Hope the gas mileage improves also. I average 27 MPG with "spirited highway/local driving". Also wish the A/C got colder (it's been checked). This was not the greatest year for the Passat as it is a bit of a mishmosh of parts from previous years (there is no 2011) as they knew a big redesign was in the works for 2012. What can you do??!!

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2004
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      110
      Vehicles
      '10 CC 2.0T 6Spd, '07 Volvo XC90 3.2, '00 B5 1.8T 5 spd (ret.), '99 B5 1.8T 5 spd wagon (ret.)
      07-28-2012 07:18 PM #41
      UPDATE: Just back from dealer. The CEL was off but I told them it was probably in memory and that I had used my Vag-Com. They found the code. Same problem. Another new intake manifold. I told them of my displeasure. Am I going to need a new intake manifold every year? Anyway, they also did the 30K service. So let's see how long this intake manifold lasts...I hope this is not a recall type situation.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,223
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      07-29-2012 09:03 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by camarkim View Post
      UPDATE: Just back from dealer. The CEL was off but I told them it was probably in memory and that I had used my Vag-Com. They found the code. Same problem. Another new intake manifold. I told them of my displeasure. Am I going to need a new intake manifold every year? Anyway, they also did the 30K service. So let's see how long this intake manifold lasts...I hope this is not a recall type situation.
      When you had yours replaced before it might have been before the revised intake manifold came out.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2004
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      110
      Vehicles
      '10 CC 2.0T 6Spd, '07 Volvo XC90 3.2, '00 B5 1.8T 5 spd (ret.), '99 B5 1.8T 5 spd wagon (ret.)
      07-30-2012 09:46 AM #43
      Could be. First time they replaced part they used part number: 06J-133-201-AL. This time they used part number 06J-133-201-AS.

    19. Junior Member metaldisc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2012
      Location
      California
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC 2.0 TSI Automatic
      08-18-2012 02:29 AM #44
      2009 VW CC 2.0 TSI Auto 54,000k miles.

      Add me to the list of Intake Manifold failures. Engine would stutter and want to stall when stopped. It does not idle correctly. On the streets and freeway, it would go ok. Just not when it is stopped.

      I'm going to give the VW dealership a call tomorrow to see about a fix. Hopefully I can get this resolved.

      Are these intake manifolds generally in stock in their parts dept? This is showing as a 3.3 hour job for a technician in a repair manual. Is this accurate?

      These are my codes from a $30 USB OBD2 reader connected to my laptop:

      Code Type Description
      P2015 PowerTrain Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance
      P0300 PowerTrain Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
      P0304 PowerTrain Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
      P2015 PowerTrain Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance
      P2015 PowerTrain Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance
      P0300 PowerTrain Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
      P0304 PowerTrain Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
      P0302 PowerTrain Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
      P2015 PowerTrain Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance
      P0301 PowerTrain Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
      P0303 PowerTrain Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
      Last edited by metaldisc; 08-23-2012 at 02:45 AM.

    20. Junior Member metaldisc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2012
      Location
      California
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC 2.0 TSI Automatic
      08-18-2012 07:13 PM #45
      Just got a call from the dealership and it is the intake manifold. Pretty cool dealership because they told me right off the bat that if it's the intake manifold, warranty will take car of it. I didn't have to say anything about warranty or fight about it.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2004
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      110
      Vehicles
      '10 CC 2.0T 6Spd, '07 Volvo XC90 3.2, '00 B5 1.8T 5 spd (ret.), '99 B5 1.8T 5 spd wagon (ret.)
      08-26-2012 02:24 PM #46
      Check the part number after they replace it. See if it matches my first replacement intake or my second replaced intake part. I'm hoping it matches the second, which would give us both hope that that is the proper/updated part number.

    22. Junior Member metaldisc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2012
      Location
      California
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC 2.0 TSI Automatic
      08-26-2012 09:59 PM #47
      They put on the same manifold as your second one.

      This is what's on the service invoice:

      Replace the intake manifold, fuel injector seals and oil filter.


      06j115403j oil filter
      06j998907b repair kit
      06j133201as manifold

    23. Member GTI16VFAN2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Westfield
      Posts
      509
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI FSI
      12-17-2012 04:19 PM #48
      All this is making me think that this may not be TSI specific...... My horror story continuing :

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-GTI-Nightmare

    24. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,057
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      12-17-2012 04:36 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI16VFAN2 View Post
      All this is making me think that this may not be TSI specific...... My horror story continuing :

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-GTI-Nightmare
      After reading your post I think it's safe to say mechanic error may have played a part in your repairs.

      The FSI is known for flap failure as well as the tsi only difference is the Flapper on the FSi can be replaced without doing the whole manifold while the TSI requires the entire manifold to be replaced. I had to replace my TSI manifold once and when I got in there there was a good deal of residue from the PVC system. People will tell you a catch can will solve this but that is false; I've come accross plenty of people with catch cans who have the same issue. All direct injection cars will have carbon residue buil up on intake valves and parts with or without a catch can so do yourself a favor and don't spend the big $$ on a useless part. People will show you pictures of gunk and tell you it's worth every penny but your car burns those vapors off.

    25. Member GTI16VFAN2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Westfield
      Posts
      509
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI FSI
      12-17-2012 04:44 PM #50
      Yes I agree that the mechanic going "by the books" could have skipped some of this nonsense but now that all that is replaced ( two flapper motors, wiring harness, ecu) do you agree that the last thing to point at is the intake manifold?

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •