Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wastegate Actuator Rod rattle - SOLVED

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 CC VR6 Sport 2008 Beetle Convertible
      02-16-2011 10:27 PM #1
      Having read a few posts about this issue finally having a solution, I booked my 2010 GTI into Brown's of Richmond, VA. Jeff Cooper my service writer is one of the best and only ever lets one tech work on my cars. I told him about the TSB and he got together with the tech. The TSB is #2024061. The ticket read:

Customer advises rattle on accel read attached TSB as per tech bulletin 2024061. INSTALLED a 2 oz wheel weight to wastegate actuator rod. test drove - no further problem.

Jeff said the tech said it was a fiddly b*t*h to do, but he felt it worked. Driving my car home there was absolutely no rattle and the car sounded great (has a stage one carbonio intake) - and to my ears slightly quieter. By the way, this is a great dealership with great service - our family currently drive five different VWs bought from them.
      Ted
      Midlothian, Virginia
      2010 VW Gti 4-door DSG Schwartz
      2008 VW Beetle Convertible Schwartz

2. 02-16-2011 11:15 PM #2

21 10 01 August 25, 2010 2024061
      Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System
      Customers may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust area while accelerating from 1800-3000
      RPM.
      In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the
      following procedure:
      1. Ensure that there is no physical internal or external damage to the turbocharger. If damage is observed,
      continue diagnosis and repair as necessary. If no damage is observed, proceed to step 2.
      2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by
      driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and
      accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic
      laws.
      3. Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the wastegate actuator rod and take the vehicle for another test drive. If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise is quieter or has changed in pitch, DO NOT replace the turbocharger. Remove the weight, create a VTA ticket in ElsaWeb and contact the Volkswagen Technical Helpline at 800-555-5555. If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise has not changed, remove the weight and continue diagnosis and repair as necessary.
      when you call the helpline they tell you if the weight is on there for any extended period of time things get jacked up. not saying i believe it, not saying i know what will happen, im just throwing it out there.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW 2.5 S 5sp
      02-16-2011 11:56 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by AgentAl View Post
      when you call the helpline they tell you if the weight is on there for any extended period of time things get jacked up. not saying i believe it, not saying i know what will happen, im just throwing it out there.
      Yeah, from what I remember reading, the bulletin said to put the weight on and if the noise goes away, call the techline to find out what to do next. It does not say to leave the weight on and do nothing else.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      02-17-2011 12:14 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
      Yeah, from what I remember reading, the bulletin said to put the weight on and if the noise goes away, call the techline to find out what to do next. It does not say to leave the weight on and do nothing else.
      Exactly. Did the tech leave it on? And then he drove it home with it on? It's only applied to help confirm that it is indeed the actuator rod on the wastegate, after that techline was supposed to initiate "further instructions". If that's the fix as well, then that sucks! We're all waiting for the "further instructions"!

Damn, if that was the fix all this time, we all would have raided Tires-R-Us for weights!
      Last edited by VWRedux; 02-17-2011 at 12:43 AM.
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CSG, GTI, DSG, Sunroof, Bi-Xenon
      02-17-2011 06:09 AM #5
      I have to agree. I am desperately waiting to hear what the "further instructions" entail. I could go out there and glue a weight on my car right now, but that doesn't sound like a real solution.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 MKVI GTI
      02-17-2011 08:32 AM #6
      I have a 2011 GTI. No wastegate rattle yet. But Just curious if their are reliable aftermarket products that can be installed while waiting VW to get a fix. Or is this just to much trouble. I searched around and found loads of different wastegates all different prices. Just wondering if that could be something to do until VW gets a hold of this.

7. 02-17-2011 11:58 AM #7
      I was wondering what that rattle noise was while under boost at low rpms. My immediate reaction was that the wastegate was flapping. But I only have 3000 miles on this GTI and figured it's normal. I had a rattle noise like this on my 93 rx7 with the sequential turbos. All I did was tighten up the actuator rod. So far I have 3 complaints on the GTI. Laggy response in S mode at a stop. Transmission free revs while in drive sometimes when bone cold. And the rattling wastegate.

8. 02-17-2011 02:11 PM #8
      just wait -- for some reason people are saying that '11s don't have this issue. I definitely do.

Odds are that I'll be taking mine to Thayer VW when I have the time because Scumburban Volkswagen in Troy SUCKS (though Stacey Milson in sales is great - she's the only reason I bought from them [that ... and they had the only blk manual 4-door autobahn in the state and I needed it same day]).

9. 02-17-2011 08:06 PM #9
      Mine is a 2011 too. And I thought it was the ****ty Arco gas I was using. Thought detonation, then wastegate rattle after I filled back up at 76. Maybe I should have bought a BMW and have twice as many problems.

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
      02-17-2011 08:10 PM #10
      I have a 2011 and don't hear any rattling. I have 2600 miles on my car. The wastegate is actually REALLY simple to get to.. put the car up on a lift or jackstands, and it's literally right-the-****-there.

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI/CW
      02-17-2011 08:12 PM #11
      i am wondering how this rattle sounds like
      any sound clip?

12. 02-17-2011 08:43 PM #12
      I'd much rather complain to the dealer about it. They can warranty it since I paid extra. I'd rather be wrenching on something else anyways, not my daily driver.
      -11 VW GTI - Carbon Steal, DSG, Autobahn package
      -93 FD - BNRs on Methanol - Red
      -93 FD - 20B gt42 - Black
      -70 Fitchel & Sachs km48 mowerbike 160cc
      -09 Yamaha R1 Raven

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      02-17-2011 09:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by oj1480 View Post
      i am wondering how this rattle sounds like
      any sound clip?

Usually happens between 2nd and 3rd gear, at lower RPM's while accelerating. If you have a wall near your passenger side and your passenger window down you will definitely be able to notice it. It will sound like a can of marbles rattling from the front passenger side of the engine bay.

Intake and exhaust is the ultimate cure for this issue.

Vehicles
      CSG GTI 2010
      02-17-2011 09:39 PM #14
      I have the issue and can always hear it when i'm in 2nd or 3rd accelerating from a low RPM.

Example would be getting on the highway every morning i turn onto the highway ramp which is a decently long hill in 3rd and start accelerating all the way up to 3500 rpm in 3rd. between 2 and 3k i hear the rattle. For those of you that don't have it try that.

15. 02-17-2011 11:30 PM #15
      I have to agree. I am desperately waiting to hear what the "further instructions" entail. I could go out there and glue a weight on my car right now, but that doesn't sound like a real solution.

'further instructions' is to remove the weight and tell the customer this is normal operation. this means that vw is NOT working on a solution.

basically deal with the noise or put the weight on there and deal with the consequences should they arise. me personally, i couldn't hear the noise if the a/c blower was on any speed higher than 0.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      02-17-2011 11:57 PM #16
      My 2011 has it. I noticed it within the first week of owning the car. I think the people with 2011's who are saying they don't have it are either playing their music too loud to notice or just don't know what to listen for. I think they all do it. When I told my dealer about it the tech said he couldn't replicate it, and afterward I told him he'd have to be deaf not to notice. He said next time I come in he would ride along with me so I could point it out to him, but this is pointless until there is an actual fix from VW.

Vehicles
      92' Corrado SLC 5MT, 06' Jetta 2.0T 6MT
      02-18-2011 12:05 AM #17
      At least u guys only have rattle noises...the K03 on my MK5 was replaced twice because the wastgate rod broke each time...with no apparent reason. There was a third time in which i had to fix it myself (Machine shop fix) due to Voided Warranty issue (GIAC). Wish i just had a rattle...lol
      VDUBBER from the Caribbean...Corrado & MK5 Owner/Enthusiast.

Visit our local Corrado Comunity here->RadoFahrer Forums/

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 CC VR6 Sport 2008 Beetle Convertible
      02-18-2011 12:47 AM #18
      Seems to me that all our cars have the noise - I guess alot depends on your dealer. Sound slike even though ther eis a TSB many techs can't diagnose or do not want to diagnose the problem. My car is under warranty and this was a warranty repair - if there is a problem I will go back to VW. I feel the tech at Brown's actually followed the directions of the TSB - I know that he spoke with the dealer service helpline. My car now drives flawlessly without the annoying rattle - I'm happy!
      Ted
      Midlothian, Virginia
      2010 VW Gti 4-door DSG Schwartz
      2008 VW Beetle Convertible Schwartz

19. 02-18-2011 01:07 AM #19
      I've said this in the last thread about this issue, so I'll quote for you guys.

"I have the same problem on my 2010 GTI. I work at the VW dealership and had them do the "fix" which really isn't a fix, it's more of a troubleshoot. My tech added the weight, and while it didn't fix it completely, if did subside a little bit. Of course the weight falls off, and it rattles again, but there really is no fix for it. It is inherent to the design. My tech told me the 1.8T's had a heavier wastegate arm and thats why they didn't rattle (which explains why adding weight to deaden the rattle works), the new one is lighter and resonates. It's annoying, but theres nothing to do about it. It's not broken, it's a quirk, and thats all. There are far worse things to be annoyed with imo.. Believe me, I am one of the most anal retentive ocd people I know, and every rattle drives me nuts until I fix it... Maybe this is just another good excuse to go BT!!!"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      02-18-2011 08:30 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MidloWolfsburg09 View Post
      Seems to me that all our cars have the noise - I guess alot depends on your dealer. Sound slike even though ther eis a TSB many techs can't diagnose or do not want to diagnose the problem. My car is under warranty and this was a warranty repair - if there is a problem I will go back to VW. I feel the tech at Brown's actually followed the directions of the TSB - I know that he spoke with the dealer service helpline. My car now drives flawlessly without the annoying rattle - I'm happy!

If the weight is still on there, your tech is wrong!

21. 02-19-2011 12:53 PM #21
      Hey guys,

I bought mine last year and have been dealing with the same rattle noise ever since day one. They added the weight, the noise went away, took it off and told me they are aware of the problem and to wait for a fix. Well, its been 9 months now. I've called VW and they are aware of the problem and "working on a fix." How long does this take to fix I ask? I'm tired of waiting and asking the dealer. This is my first VW. Other than this issue I luv my car. If they know what the problem is and there are many unhappy customers out there why not fix such an easy issue? Replace the rod with a heavier one and problem solved right? Sorry, just had to vent some and glad I found a thread that others can relate to with the same problem.

RG

22. 03-23-2011 09:37 PM #22
      hello all,

first time posting to this thread but i have been following along for months after purchasing my 2011 GTI.. i too have/had the annoying rattle, i am happy to report the noise is GONE!!!

after **numerous** complaints to VWoAmerica and my local dealership, i was called by the regional customer service representative indicating VW had a "fix" ready for install. they confirmed the noise was 100% coming from the actuator rod rattling around a bit as boost pressure built up and was released.

after scheduling my appointment, a regional technician arrived at my dealership with a "wastegate actuator retention clip". i did not witness the install but it was described to me as a "small metal clip that keeps the actuator rod in place as it revolves to releases pressure". after waiting 30 minutes for the install and test drive by the technician, i was infomed the issue was corrected. i skeptically drove the car home fully expecting the noise to be present. I had had the 2 oz weight TSB performed in the past which fixed the issue until the weight was removed...

i drove the car at various speeds and acceleration intensities, up and down hills vigorously awaiting for the rattling to return. IT IS GONE...

i know there are several posts on this site and elsewhere so please spread the word... CALL VWoA AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THE WASTEGATE ACTUATOR RODE RETENTION CLIP INSTALLED. the technician said if VW got enough feedback from the small group of people who had the clip installed, they would issue an official TSB for everyone to have the issue corrected. don't wait...call them and demand the fix!!

hope this helps... it certainly helped me.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      03-23-2011 10:45 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 2011GTI6spd View Post
      hello all,

first time posting to this thread but i have been following along for months after purchasing my 2011 GTI.. i too have/had the annoying rattle, i am happy to report the noise is GONE!!!

after **numerous** complaints to VWoAmerica and my local dealership, i was called by the regional customer service representative indicating VW had a "fix" ready for install. they confirmed the noise was 100% coming from the actuator rod rattling around a bit as boost pressure built up and was released.

after scheduling my appointment, a regional technician arrived at my dealership with a "wastegate actuator retention clip". i did not witness the install but it was described to me as a "small metal clip that keeps the actuator rod in place as it revolves to releases pressure". after waiting 30 minutes for the install and test drive by the technician, i was infomed the issue was corrected. i skeptically drove the car home fully expecting the noise to be present. I had had the 2 oz weight TSB performed in the past which fixed the issue until the weight was removed...

i drove the car at various speeds and acceleration intensities, up and down hills vigorously awaiting for the rattling to return. IT IS GONE...

i know there are several posts on this site and elsewhere so please spread the word... CALL VWoA AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THE WASTEGATE ACTUATOR RODE RETENTION CLIP INSTALLED. the technician said if VW got enough feedback from the small group of people who had the clip installed, they would issue an official TSB for everyone to have the issue corrected. don't wait...call them and demand the fix!!

hope this helps... it certainly helped me.
      Great first post! Okay we need names, especially the regional tech who brought you this mysterious "retention clip" for the waste gate actuator rod. If you cannot provide his name, then at least the *region* he manages. Plus the PART # of that clip would be helpful. That may be on your work order papers. (You do have paperwork on the dealer mod I hope?)

If none of this can be provided, then maybe your VWCC reference number so we could let our VW representative reference your data because no one in the call center will know anything about this *retention clip* guaranteed!

Thanks.

24. 03-23-2011 11:02 PM #24
      here is the info from my dealer invoice for the repairs:

SSA Q.T.M. INSTALLED MODIFIED WASTEGATE CLIP
      174WVW03

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      03-24-2011 11:58 AM #25
      I too have noticed that rattle since probably 3-4 days after I took delivery of my 2011. As long as it doesn't actually indicate any mechanical issue I think I am not too worried. Though I probably should start to keep a list of stuff to talk to the techs about for my 90 days.

Vehicles
      03-24-2011 01:31 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 2011GTI6spd View Post
      here is the info from my dealer invoice for the repairs:

SSA Q.T.M. INSTALLED MODIFIED WASTEGATE CLIP
      174WVW03
      Thanks!

27. 03-24-2011 01:32 PM #27
      I took the GTI to the dealer and the tech wrote back notes that the GTI doesn't have a wastage. lol
      This is Thousand Oaks VW too.

Dealerships are a scary place when the techs don't know what they are doing...
      -11 VW GTI - Carbon Steal, DSG, Autobahn package
      -93 FD - BNRs on Methanol - Red
      -93 FD - 20B gt42 - Black
      -70 Fitchel & Sachs km48 mowerbike 160cc
      -09 Yamaha R1 Raven

Vehicles
      03-24-2011 01:38 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by rez311 View Post
      I took the GTI to the dealer and the tech wrote back notes that the GTI doesn't have a wastage. lol
      This is Thousand Oaks VW too.

Dealerships are a scary place when the techs don't know what they are doing...
      Or they think that their customers are idiots... my major peev with VW... most techs are complete jerks... something they need to fix and soon IMHO.

29. Banned
      03-24-2011 01:54 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by zzachai View Post
      just wait -- for some reason people are saying that '11s don't have this issue. I definitely do.

Odds are that I'll be taking mine to Thayer VW when I have the time because Scumburban Volkswagen in Troy SUCKS (though Stacey Milson in sales is great - she's the only reason I bought from them [that ... and they had the only blk manual 4-door autobahn in the state and I needed it same day]).
      Suburban in Farm Hills isn't bad. Thayer is good too though.

Could someone describe the sound? Maybe a video?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      03-24-2011 01:59 PM #30
      Trying driving around with your radio off, usually happens when you accelerate away, part throttle(so you don't build your rev too fast and out of the "zone"), and between 2-3k you'll hear this metallic sounding "clank"...like someone mentioned, like marbles in a tin can kind of noise...

31. Banned
      03-24-2011 02:07 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Trying driving around with your radio off, usually happens when you accelerate away, part throttle(so you don't build your rev too fast and out of the "zone"), and between 2-3k you'll hear this metallic sounding "clank"...like someone mentioned, like marbles in a tin can kind of noise...
      I'll have to check it out. Thanks. If I haven't noticed in 14k miles, then either it isn't there or it isn't loud enough to matter.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      03-24-2011 02:13 PM #32
      I just want to put this out there
      "noise" on my GTi went away when i upgraded my down pipe, i was 99% sure, until i read about this new "clip fix", it was coming from the mesh that is on the flex part of the downpipe.

Vehicles
      03-24-2011 02:17 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      I just want to put this out there
      "noise" on my GTi went away when i upgraded my down pipe, i was 99% sure, until i read about this new "clip fix", it was coming from the mesh that is on the flex part of the downpipe.
      The mesh also makes a similar noise, but the waste-gate actuator rod rattle has been confirmed as the MAJOR culprit.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      03-24-2011 02:19 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post
      The mesh also makes a similar noise, but the waste-gate actuator rod rattle has been confirmed as the MAJOR culprit.
      In that case i might be one of the lucky few that do not have wast-gate actuator rattle.

35. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      03-24-2011 02:29 PM #35
      still dont know why this bothers people so much. i must be in the minority and absolutely do not care about this "problem"
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 03-24-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast