Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wastegate Actuator Rod rattle - SOLVED

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      07-12-2011 01:17 AM #101
      If your service rep doesn't know what you're talking about, ask to speak with one of the techs and give them the TSB number so they can look it up. When I called the first time they acted like I was retarded. After I got transferred back to the tech and he had the TSB pulled up, he was like "oh, sounds like your information is correct." And if they claim they can't duplicate it, make them go on a ride-a-long.

Vehicles
      11/DB/4DR/6MAN/SUN/NAV/BIX/
      07-13-2011 10:04 PM #102
      Whhhheeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz....back to life for some related feedback though I guess it has not been gone that long...

Had the work performed today by the shop foreman after an initial mix up that required a second visit in one day. I will check for thorough comprehension before leaving in the future. There was some confusion between this TSB and some other warranty work and a complicated definition of what contitutes a "clip" ect and some other....I will let it go at that.

At the end of the day the work was performed by the shop foreman who had a hell of a time and it took many hours with lots of fans just to be able for him to stick his hand under there. The TSB has been completed and here are my impressions:

The distinct "rattle" is gone, replaced by a related but different mettalic sounding hum/whine in the exact same rev range where the "rattle" used to be. It almost seems like the clip has changed the frequency somehow and there is a new sort of resonation there along with turbo sounds. As crazy as it seems, it reminds me of musicians in harmony, related yet distinct. I cannot truthfully state whether this is a valid "fix", but at least it does not sound like something broken anymore in the undercarriage and I can live peacefully with this sound that is different yet present. I suspect however, total elimination might be preferable and a solo turbo note might do the job a bit better

It is interesting to read many of the comments here so far. I personally remember taking it to the dealership long before I ever saw a thread on the issue because I suspected something was wrong with the transmission. The very same shop foreman who repaired it also rode with me over six months ago and indicated it was a normal characteristic of the TSI engine and explained some of the differences as I had previously been in possession of a FSI equipped MKV. At that time there was no "solution" so I simply accepted it and moved on. Glad to see VW is at least working to address the issue and even if it does not solve the problem entirely, there is a noticeable improvement in the nature of the sound and the intrusion of the overall sound into the cabin has been greatly reduced. Overall it is worth getting done If you have the "rattle" though I would not race in just for the TSB. Get it done at the next service as it is not earth shattering. If you do not know whether you have it, you don't. It would be quite obvious if you did.

Hope this helps

Vehicles
      '90 GLI, '99 Passat, '80 Caddy 16V
      07-14-2011 02:30 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by VEGASVWGTI View Post
      who had a hell of a time and it took many hours with lots of fans just to be able for him to stick his hand under there.
      One piece of advice, anyone going to do this, use the night drop at your dealer so the car is cool for them to repair. We did one last week and it took less then 15 minutes to complete. I know it isn't easy for everyone to leave their car overnight however...
      Volkswagen of Salem Parts
      /\/\/\ Ask me about 20% off all VW parts and accessories to Vortex members /\/\/\
      Flashover!!

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      07-19-2011 11:28 AM #104
      Contacted my dealer (Cambridge VW), asked about getting this done. They found the TSB and the info, but said they have to verify that it's the actual issue before they can sign off on installing the clip. Should be good, so far the guys here have been pretty decent.
      ------ 2010 GTI 4dr DSG
      ------ Carbon Steel Metallic
      ------ Detroits

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 2.0T
      07-19-2011 11:55 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Null Actor View Post
      Contacted my dealer (Cambridge VW), asked about getting this done. They found the TSB and the info, but said they have to verify that it's the actual issue before they can sign off on installing the clip. Should be good, so far the guys here have been pretty decent.
      I took the same steps last week. Hopefully this can be taken care of soon
      Penn State :: Virginia Tech

APR Stage I | ST coilovers

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      07-19-2011 03:02 PM #106
      Mine was real bad when new... now it's gone. Rust can do great things if given a chance.
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

7. 07-19-2011 08:10 PM #107
      I set up an appointment for Thursday, 7/21. It's just two days but I can't wait! The local VW service department can't wait to get this over with an me out of their hair. I truely hope to report good news by the end of the week.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI Autobahn
      07-20-2011 10:15 AM #108
      Just an update everyone - had the TSB performed at my local dealer and the rattle is gone!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      11 GTI
      07-20-2011 11:41 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by almirb20 View Post
      Just an update everyone - had the TSB performed at my local dealer and the rattle is gone!
      Good to hear, I need to get mine done.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4dr / 1966 VW Beetle / 2012 Passat SE
      07-20-2011 01:46 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by almirb20 View Post
      I had this done over the weekend also and am very satisfied with the results. Was in and out of dealership in less than 90 minutes including cool down time.

11. 07-22-2011 08:32 PM #111
      It's been 1 day since I had the clip installed. I'd say it's about an 80% improvement. The noise isn't completely gone but is much less noticeable. At this point, I think it's a vast improvement over what was going on before. I’m sure I'll notice the dampened rattle less with time. I’m guessing that my car’s original “rattle” was a severe case. It was a long, aggravating road to get here but man it all seems worth it now. It’s like a new car.
      Last edited by astrokat; 07-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      07-25-2011 12:31 AM #112
      Got mine done on Friday finally. No more noise!
      APR Stage I // S3IC // AWE CBE // OEM LED's

13. 07-25-2011 11:32 AM #113
      So, I’ve lived with the fix over the weekend and I can honestly say that I don’t notice the noise anymore. I was a little concerned at first because right after the clip was installed I could still hear a similar sound at the same RPM. After 1.5 yrs of listening for that god-awful rattle, I believe that I just became super sensitive to the sound. If you haven’t started the process of working with your dealership on the clip install and the noise bugs you, I believe you should call soon. It’s well worth your time. If you can time it with a service check up even better. They may look at you like you’re crazy, but don’t give up.
      Last edited by astrokat; 07-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      08-02-2011 03:02 PM #114
      If anyone is looking for a DYI:

Looks pretty simple.

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      08-02-2011 04:16 PM #115
      I have an appointment for Thurs to get this done, along with a few other things.. Looking forward to it!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      11 GTI
      08-08-2011 03:34 PM #116
      Thanks for the DIY, I'm going to show this to my mechanic.
      EG

Vehicles
      a van
      08-08-2011 03:55 PM #117
      i asked for this at my dealer when i went in for my 20K. they said nope.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

18. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      08-08-2011 03:57 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      i asked for this at my dealer when i went in for my 20K. they said nope.

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      08-08-2011 04:02 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
      I have an appointment for Thurs to get this done, along with a few other things.. Looking forward to it!
      Update - I got it done on 8/4. Now instead of rattling between 2K-3K RPM, it rattles from around 2200-2500 RPM, which is a huge improvement. My service advisor said that the part that they had was a little older design, and that they ordered one of the latest revision and will install it sometime this week.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      11 GTI
      08-08-2011 04:06 PM #120
      Update - I got it done on 8/4. Now instead of rattling between 2K-3K RPM, it rattles from around 2200-2500 RPM, which is a huge improvement. My service advisor said that the part that they had was a little older design, and that they ordered one of the latest revision and will install it sometime this week.
      I would much rather 300 RPMs of noise vs 1000 RPMs of noise, I would agree that is a vast improvement.

I just contacted my mechanic, who happens to work at a local VW dealership, he said he will get the part in.

Hopefully I'll get this done this week.

edit: Apparently the part is on a massive back order (go figure), he told me that there isn't 1 in the US currently....

At least we are makin progress
      Last edited by niix; 08-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.
      EG

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 2.0T
      08-09-2011 08:54 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by niix View Post
      edit: Apparently the part is on a massive back order (go figure), he told me that there isn't 1 in the US currently....

At least we are makin progress
      yikes good thing I just got mine this weekend lol
      Penn State :: Virginia Tech

APR Stage I | ST coilovers

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      08-09-2011 10:17 AM #122
      My dealer ordered the part last week and I think they got it in already.. If you can find the part number I might be able to check with a contact of mine that is a manager for the VAG parts distribution centers.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      11 GTI
      08-09-2011 10:18 AM #123
      My dealer ordered the part last week and I think they got it in already.. If you can find the part number I might be able to check with a contact of mine that is a manager for the VAG parts distribution centers.
      I put in my order, hopefully it will be here soon. I'll my car so much more when it doesn't make that ****ing noise.
      EG

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      08-29-2011 02:56 PM #124
      Got my clip, rattle's gone, dealer didn't charge my for the part or installation.

------ 2010 GTI 4dr DSG
      ------ Carbon Steel Metallic
      ------ Detroits

25. Member
      Vehicles
      11 GTI
      08-29-2011 03:08 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Null Actor View Post
      Got my clip, rattle's gone, dealer didn't charge my for the part or installation.

Good news.

They should not be charging anyone for this.
      EG

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast