Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My alignment specs, what do you think?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8t
      02-20-2011 06:20 PM #1
      So I got an alignment the other day on the jetta just to make sure everything was good (just bought the car). I snapped a picture of what the alignment shop was able to get everything to. It looks like the previous owner hit a pretty good pothole or something.

In my opinion its not too bad and can wait a little while to replace the rear beam. I just wanted to see what you all thought. Its out of spec on that right rear, but its not WAYYY out ya know? In my opinion my abnormal tire wear will be minimal if any. The car tracks straight, doesn't pull, and handles great.

so what do you guys think?

Vehicles
      2004.5 Jetta GLI, 1995 Golf III City
      02-20-2011 10:22 PM #2
      I agree with minimal wear on the rear. But what's up with the caster on the left front? I think the previous owner ran over something (possibly a curb). You probably have something bent up front as well.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8t
      02-20-2011 10:37 PM #3
      possibly, but eventually I will get some coilovers or a cup kit. Its not too far out and left caster isn't far off from the right side. Not too worried about the caster at this point. This car looks like it runs a decent amount of caster. Wont effect tire wear and the car goes straight

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      02-21-2011 01:16 AM #4
      The car isn't that far out in the front or the rear. Replacing the front LCAs and the strut mounts should correct the problem.

In the rear you can get shims to correct the toe and the camber without replacing the rear beam.

You need to correct the alignment problems before replacing springs or struts or going to coilovers so you know that any problems that appear with the suspension modifications are a result of the components changed and not a result of wear or pre-existing damage.
      Last edited by germancarnut51; 02-21-2011 at 01:19 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8t
      02-21-2011 02:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      The car isn't that far out in the front or the rear. Replacing the front LCAs and the strut mounts should correct the problem.

In the rear you can get shims to correct the toe and the camber without replacing the rear beam.

You need to correct the alignment problems before replacing springs or struts or going to coilovers so you know that any problems that appear with the suspension modifications are a result of the components changed and not a result of wear or pre-existing damage.
      Yeah it would be a good idea to get the alignment good before changing suspension. A suspension set up is a ways away from me so I will have to worry about it then.

6. 02-28-2011 07:14 PM #6
      Check your SAI for damage. You can also measure the length of your control arms from the ball joint to the front bushing and then from the ball joint to the rear bushing. compare them to each other.

The total toe in back is kinda scary and its throwing off your thrust angle.