Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 VW Microbus Is Coming!

Vehicles
      12' JSW Tdi (wife) & 13' Turbo Beetle (me)
      02-24-2011 06:41 AM #1
      Just got my Car & Driver mag yesterday & the Microbus is featured as one of twenty-five cars to hold out for if looking to buy. I told my wife I'm cleaning out the garage this weekend to make room Like most of you I have been waiting a loooooong time for this! Here is the link..http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...ed-future_cars

Vehicles
      1991 VW Vanagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback wagon, 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
      02-24-2011 09:25 AM #2
      I'm a VW van guy. I love them. But, knowing VW, especially VWoA, I'll believe this when I see a flock of pigs streaking across the sky.

EDIT - Also, just clicked the link. That looks less like what I'd call a rendering, and more like someone photoshopped the original 2001 concept photos.

So, once again... when the air traffic controllers see bacon on their radar screens.
      Last edited by MagicBus; 02-24-2011 at 09:29 AM.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      84ur-q, 01 s4, 84 vanagon, 99.5 a4 avant, 97 landcruiser, 98 a4, 67 P/E dune buggy 01 E/V MV
      02-24-2011 09:47 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
      I'm a VW van guy. I love them. But, knowing VW, especially VWoA, I'll believe this when I see a flock of pigs streaking across the sky.

EDIT - Also, just clicked the link. That looks less like what I'd call a rendering, and more like someone photoshopped the original 2001 concept photos.

So, once again... when the air traffic controllers see bacon on their radar screens.
      BACON!!!!! They did also say that the 2014 van was loosely based off the previous concept van released a few years ago. Although VWoA does have a habit of hampering the development of anything cool. Although VAG has been swayed by public outcry in regards to thins like the Golf R and the TTRS both coming with some help from the facebook population. so maybe it could actually could get here!!!!

But I do agree it would probably require a whole armada worth of airborn bacon

Vehicles
      2003 EVWK, 2001 EVC
      02-24-2011 09:59 AM #4
      Microbus based on Touran -> Touran based on Golf.

Mighty small Camper. Don't see that happening.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Tiguan S
      02-24-2011 10:43 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by chendermi View Post
      Microbus based on Touran -> Touran based on Golf.

Mighty small Camper. Don't see that happening.
      From the article:
      Production of the Microbus will coincide with the launch of another new, bigger van, a replacement for the Chrysler-supplied Routan to be built in Tennessee on VW's own platform.

6. 02-24-2011 11:52 AM #6
      Hmmm I'm guessing that Tennessee platform would be the 2012 Passat platform then? Pretty decent size.

7. 02-24-2011 11:58 AM #7
      Also, VW better not fuc this up by not offering a diesel in the thing. The US doesn't need another 4000 lb vehicle with a no-more-than-23mpg V6 on premium fuel.

Vehicles
      '01 EVW (sold), '03 EVW (sold); Two '10 Prius; '06 Element; '04 Quest (the new EVW)
      02-24-2011 01:10 PM #8
      LMAO...I second gti_matt's comment - I was thinking the same thing. I look on ebay-UK and just drool at those manual trans diesel pop-ups (04-current).

This is why I keep my EVW going. All I want is a utility-type vehicle (NOT an SUV) with plenty of space that gets decent mileage. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable here. VW sells them in Europe (T5's). Toyota sells them in Japan (not pop-ups obviously). Not all Americans want a giant SUV. Give me space...and affordability. Duh!!
      Last edited by VW_Enthu1; 02-24-2011 at 05:00 PM.

9. 02-24-2011 01:30 PM #9
      If VWoA brought it here with a TDI but with only an auto, I would understand but with mild disappointment.

If they bring it with nothing but pig V(R)6s, that's just dumb. If VW is to succeed in the US, the vehicle needs to have a unique "hook" that the competition doesn't have.

VWoA's product has not topped their respective classes in sales since the early 1970s. In the 1960s it was pretty much THE imported car in the US. Through the 1970s and early 1980s they did pretty well, just not tops. After the mid 1980s, it was mostly downhill. The Jetta has managed to be their #1 volume seller fairly consistently but it was never top of the sales charts. FOUR DECADES and VWoA hasn't been able to replicate the success it had in the US since the late 1960s and early 1970s with the Beetle, as around 1972 or so the Japanese came in with a vengeance and never left nor never let VWoA top them. The late 1990s and early 2000s saw a brief surge but VWoA fell behind again. Yeah we on this board love the German engineering and whatnot but we aren't the majority of US consumers.

I am willing to bet that if the upcoming Passat TDI proves popular and garners at least 40% of Mk7 Passat sales here, then the prospects are good for a TDI van in the US.

VWoA won't do it on fuel economy alone. They certainly won't do it on customer service either. Nor will they do it on reputation for reliability (this will take years to rectify). They have to have product with a unique hook. It's all they have left.

10. 02-24-2011 04:46 PM #10
      Well, good luck to the bacon lovers waiting for the New Microbus to come along. I can appreciate wanting something special and waiting a long time for it to show up.

I'm w/ Matt on the diesel transporter. I'm waaaay beyond anything 'cute' or retro that VWAG could ever dream up, but I have the (un)fortune of living close by to VWUS' electronics lab and they've had a T5 TDI over there for going on something like 5 years now. It makes me want to cry every time I ride by there and peruse the vehicles we can't get in this country. Obviously the people in VWUS marketing are NOT addressing people in my demographic. VW's probably lost their way in the US.

Vehicles
      '01 EVW (sold), '03 EVW (sold); Two '10 Prius; '06 Element; '04 Quest (the new EVW)
      02-24-2011 06:18 PM #11
      I too am very curious regarding VW's approach on this. Obviously, rebadged Chryslers are and were a short-term fix just so they would have a van offering.

I agree they cant stress just mileage - that will help, but there has to be more to it (make a diesel version an option - thats obvious...maybe hybrid/diesel? hybrid/diesel/poptop option?) They can't pin their hopes on quality reputation - thats for sure. Why don't they go ahead and try to create the market? They have nothing to lose. A generic van won't get them anywhere quickly. Make a Microbus of some sort that will pull in van buyers as well as SUV buyers.

Oh well. What do I know?

12. Member
      02-24-2011 06:51 PM #12
      2014 is the approximate due date for the next Multivan that people in Europe and Oz might well call the T6. We've just received what we are calling the T5.2 with the twin turbo 2.0L 4cyl diesel engines so 2014 for the all new version looks about right.

So for VW to also throw in a smaller Touran based Microbus with a range of 1.4 or 2.0L BTDi engines is not an unlikely prospect.

After all, manufacturers are already wrestling with the idea of a desirable MPV.....

Question is.......will North America consumers be amenable to small capacity petrol and diesel engines in 'vans' by then?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 B4V TDI 5-SPD was auto VR6, '97 B4V GLX, '89 T3 Syncro 16" Doka, etc. etc
      02-24-2011 10:07 PM #13
      The real question VW is asking is will enough of you/us buy a new Transporter with a $35k-$40k price tag? The present T5 in full trim came in at about $38k at the present exchange rates. VW did not think you/we would or the T5 would have made it here.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Tiguan S
      02-25-2011 10:01 AM #14
      If they build it in Chattanooga, the price may be lower, if only because it avoids import taxes.

Also, it wouldn't matter if the whole rest of the world got a van with a 45mpg diesel engine, 6-speed manual, and AWD, VWoA would still find a way to stick us with a 15mpg, FWD, auto gasser.

Vehicles
      02-25-2011 12:14 PM #15
      It goes without saying that Americans will never pay an inflated cost for an imported van - we have to clear up that thought right now; the T5 would NEVER have flew here at that price. The vans are inflated because of the import tax and the fact the VW prices the vans too high overseas to begin with. Why would Americans buy an overpriced van? Siennas and Odysseys (sp?) are affordable (kinda) and much more dependable.

Yes, the new vans/utilities that will be built here will be more affordable. If VW can come up with a trend-setting design, keep it affordable, and fix the quality issues, they're set. I've said this before: it doesn't matter WHAT VW does if they can't fix their quality problems. I dont care how cool the new van/utility/whatever is...

16. 02-25-2011 01:30 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by BenT Syncro View Post
      The real question VW is asking is will enough of you/us buy a new Transporter with a $35k-$40k price tag? The present T5 in full trim came in at about $38k at the present exchange rates. VW did not think you/we would or the T5 would have made it here.
      At the auto show two years ago I swear I saw a Routan that might IIRC was priced in the high 30Ks, maybe even 40K...I do remember my jaw dropping a bit at that. Yeah it was probably loaded but if VW thinks we'd pay that for a Routan, then why not for a T5?

17. 02-25-2011 11:41 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      At the auto show two years ago I swear I saw a Routan that might IIRC was priced in the high 30Ks, maybe even 40K...I do remember my jaw dropping a bit at that. Yeah it was probably loaded but if VW thinks we'd pay that for a Routan, then why not for a T5?
      I took a look at a fully loaded Routan at the auto show when it first came out. It was well into the $30K range, maybe even 40K, so yeah, it was pretty damn expensive. And all I could think was, I'd never pay that for a Chrysler product...

So, I'd like to know, why does Mexico get the T5? Why can't TN crank out product for the NA market? Wouldn't it be cheaper? Of course, if quality/support is ****e, this is all a moot exercise, anyway.

Vehicles
      03 BMP20AE
      02-26-2011 02:31 AM #18
      omg i would totally buy one of those. bad ass

19. 02-27-2011 12:54 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by miguel indurain View Post
      I took a look at a fully loaded Routan at the auto show when it first came out. It was well into the $30K range, maybe even 40K, so yeah, it was pretty damn expensive. And all I could think was, I'd never pay that for a Chrysler product...

So, I'd like to know, why does Mexico get the T5? Why can't TN crank out product for the NA market? Wouldn't it be cheaper? Of course, if quality/support is ****e, this is all a moot exercise, anyway.
      Mexico's T5s though I believe are pretty low-end models (cheap) and also they might not have import taxes like we have, so the business case for a cheap one is probably OK there. They're also not really sold that much as minivans for families but more commercially-oriented. Every one I"ve seen in the US ("visiting") with MX plates has been very commercial looking, usually panel vans.

But yeah I don't understand that, since the T4 was expensive, why Mexico or (now) the US wasn't tooled up for some T5 or other MPV production. Why must MPVs only come from Europe?

20. Member
      02-27-2011 07:25 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Because a fully loaded T5 Multivan would set you back closer to 60K.....have you noticed the value of the US against the Euro recently? Even the Pacific Peso (Oz dollar) is at parity with the US dollar at the moment.

And T5.2 Multivan Comfortlines are coming in to Oz from mid AU$55K with a 2.0L BTDI engine ....full of fruit Highlines are closer to AU$70K. Even RRP on a Trasporter with seating for 5 is around AU$45K!! Hard to imagine that North America could get them $20K cheaper.....

And yet....Mexico almost does....(but with a much inferior engine & gearbox)

Have you looked at how much VW Mexico are selling those 'basic' Transporters for? According to today's exchange rates, the window van people mover 2.0L TDi (102 hp/183 lbft) version is close to US$30K
      http://mx.volkswagen.com/vwcms/maste..._paquetes.html

Even so I'm not sure that they are as 'cheap' as you might think....
      Last edited by Seano; 02-27-2011 at 07:34 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf
      02-28-2011 05:37 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by BenT Syncro View Post
      Most NICELY loaded vans from any manufacturer are pushing that and some upwards of that... I would drop it in a heart beat and have started the Bus piggy bank already!

22. Semi-n00b
      02-28-2011 11:18 AM #22
      No it's probably not coming here anytime soon, the Mexicans will get a synchro tdi westfalia for $25k but it will never happen here.

Vehicles
      1991 VW Vanagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback wagon, 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
      02-28-2011 08:15 PM #23
      I checked the weather forecast, and the meteorologists are predicting no swine for this week.

24. 03-01-2011 12:42 AM #24
      OK, guys, per the main page at this site, what do we think?.....

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      03-01-2011 04:57 AM #25
      20 bucks says this will be made to compete with the cube and box and rat trap or whatever the hell the new wave of mini mini boxy van car things are that kia, scion and whoever else is making now.

26. Member
      03-01-2011 04:28 PM #26
      I love it.

It captures enough look of the original to be easily identifiable, and yet it has a modern VAG look about it too.
      If/when it does make it to production i'm sure it will be alot more um, .....mainstream simplistic(as per Jetta mk6), and probably more conventionally powered, but the style and functionality should still work.
      If nothing else it looks far better than the Kia, Scion, Nissan alternatives, and i'm sure the quality will easily be better too.

I thinks a far better attempt at a modern recreation of a legend than the Beetle has been, soon to updated Beetle included.

The iPad thing is cool from a concept PoV, but again, I doubt would be included for mainstream production.

My biggest disappointment is that it most likely won't be 2.0t powered, and even worse, won't be rear engine rear drive.

I'm lookin to maybe get a Tiguan in the future, but if the mini-bus is available with the right powertrain options and price then i'd easily consider it.

27. Member
      03-01-2011 06:03 PM #27
      It's essentially a long wheel base Up hatchback. It is certainly not a successor to the old air cooled Microbus - heck it is even shorter than the 'original'.

Almost certainly it'll have engines that are no bigger than today's Polo engines (no bigger than 1.4) and with that bonnet it is a front engined front wheel drive.

Certainly a cool little car......but not a van.

Vehicles
      90 g6660 Corrado (sold), 07 Rabbit
      03-01-2011 10:39 PM #28
      I'm sorry, but that's superbadass. Like I really want one. plus its electric!? awesome.
      My sold old build, thread

-"I need a new hobby"

29. 03-02-2011 12:57 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
      It's essentially a long wheel base Up hatchback. It is certainly not a successor to the old air cooled Microbus - heck it is even shorter than the 'original'.

Almost certainly it'll have engines that are no bigger than today's Polo engines (no bigger than 1.4) and with that bonnet it is a front engined front wheel drive.

Certainly a cool little car......but not a van.
      Agreed on all counts. This is no modern-day Microbus.

Look at that (with a person in the pic for reference as to size)...it's barely bigger than a Scion xB.

Also:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110301/...to_show_vw_bus

"Volkswagen hasn't confirmed that the concept van will go into production."

Don't hold your breath. Anything that compares this to the hippie Microbus of yore is speaking in error.
      Last edited by gti_matt; 03-02-2011 at 12:59 AM.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf
      03-02-2011 06:40 AM #30
      Looks GREAT but will be upset if they stick to the SMALL platform... In the pic with the guy cleaning it, it looks like a matchbox car

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      03-02-2011 10:00 AM #31
      I like this new concept, but as has been said, it looks like it's competing with the mini-minivans, like the Cube and the Soul. That's great, good for VW, I think it would be a hit. Especially with the TDI from the Golf/Jetta.

However, I want to see a proper, 3 rows of seating, VW bus. Rework that original concept from 10 years ago, give it a gas option and a diesel option, and available all wheel drive, then we have a winner. Especially when the Westy version and the Doka comes out. Oooh, would a new Doka be awesome or what?
      93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      09 VW Tiguan SE, 02 VW Eurovan MV, 84 VW Rabbit GTI, 72 VW Super Beetle
      03-03-2011 05:16 PM #32
      here are some images from miami herald. it is growing on me, and if they could price them them with the competition I might consider one.

33. 03-03-2011 08:17 PM #33
      Whoa, that thing is tiny! Too small for my family. The comments about the Cube and other "box" cars is spot on. Cool design but the chances of it being brought here or even made are slim.

34. 03-03-2011 09:23 PM #34
      I could be wrong, but I guess there's no point in trying a .82g turn in this thing? Or maybe I could, from somewhere other than the driver's seat, hanging on for dear life?...

OTOH, somebody could make a bunch of $$ by bringing back the 0-60 mph in 30 minutes bumper sticker, again.

35. 03-14-2011 08:23 PM #35
      Please, please, please tell me this is not the replacement for the 2001 Microbus concept! If so I AM SADDLY DISAPPOINTED. The Bulli is far from a cool Hippie Bus or super functional Vanagon Syncro Westfalia!! Volkswagen, you’ve missed the mark again if you think that former Bus, Vanagon, and Eurovan buyers will look at this as an evolution of the freedom and versatilty that these Bus inspired vehicles brought to market. Shame on you for pushing a VW badged electric version of something that looks as pathetic and uninspiring as a cross between a Nissan Cube and a Mini Cooper!! VW, please go back to your roots creating automobiles for people not automobiles just to move people! Please, take a day, week, or month off from your work to go to a music show, go camping, transport a surfboard/kayak/mountain bike, or go on a Route 66 inspired roadtrip! … Then, and only then, will you understand how to create the 2014 Micro Bus that The People want. Thank you for your consideration and enjoy your “thinking outside of the box (with 4-wheels)” adventure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast