Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 VW Microbus Is Coming!

1. 03-15-2011 11:24 AM #36
      I think the vehicle isn't bad, but it just makes me so when manufacturers try to pass something off as something that it isn't. Call it the "Up! Plus!" or something like that, just don't call it a Bulli or Microbus when it's not even close to the size and layout.

I feel the same way about Mercedes and the CLS, etc. and these "4-door coupé" things. "Coupé" has more to do with two doors than a low-slug swoopy roofline. All fine cars (CLS, Passat CC, Sonata, etc.) but don't for a minute call them anything "coupé".

2. 03-16-2011 12:43 PM #37

Last edited by swags; 03-16-2011 at 04:40 PM.

3. 03-20-2011 01:25 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      I think the vehicle isn't bad, but it just makes me so ...flashing :
      I have seen this same opinion on different forums. Back in 2001, I was following the previous and larger design. I got a survey question, would you be willing to pay 32K (TEN YEARS AGO)? The answer was no. That is why it is what it is now. I think you might want to shift your thinking, how cool is it to have a retro smaller than the original?

4. 03-20-2011 11:03 PM #39
      $32K 10 years ago was "pricey" because at that price it still lacked leather, nav, DVD, etc. It was a $23K van at a sticker of $32K.

I am willing to bet the number one issue with the T4's pricing was the build location. Built a retro van in Mexico and probably it can still arrive in the US at a competitive price and with competitive features without being a Scion xD knockoff.

5. 01-19-2012 02:46 PM #40
      I wonder why VW can sell the T5 including the expensive Highline version in Australia but not think America will pay the same for these vans? Just assemble it here to avoid the tariffs and those that want the size and functionality over currently offered mini-vans will pay for it.

Vehicles
      '13 GTI Wolfsburg, '01 EuroVan MV, '91 Miata
      01-20-2012 09:04 AM #41
      @Doogie - from what I've read, VW's Hannover plant is running at (or near) capacity anyway. They can easily sell these in other markets, in most cases for more money.

Vehicles
      '88 Vanagon GL, '11 Suburban z71
      01-20-2012 03:25 PM #42
      I'm sorry, but that thing is ugly as can be Maybe it will look better in real life, but I'm not a fan of what I've seen so far. That has nothing in common with a microbus in any way They hit hit the mark dead on when they came out with the new beetle, but this is a failure IMO

8. 01-20-2012 09:37 PM #43
      The only thing this has in common with the Bulli is the name VW slapped on it. It is in no way any type of modern-day retro version. It's far too small and just doesn't have the right configuration.

01-30-2012 11:13 AM #44
      The only thing this has in common with the Bulli is the name VW slapped on it. It is in no way any type of modern-day retro version. It's far too small and just doesn't have the right configuration.
      Bingo!!!

When I think of the vw bus I think utility and camping, sleeping 4-5 people. The Bulli is not a bus but over sized hatch back. VW should just go back the T2 philosophy obiviously modernize however the core product line up. Transporter, Camper, Panel. With one chassis/body VW will be able to cover three different customers and segments. Use TDI so vw will have the most fuel efficient vans. The Bulli is not worthy of being called a bus.

10. Member
      01-30-2012 07:41 PM #45
      I actually like the Up! concept. The range of new small cars off the one tiny platform is a clever way to occupy a few niches at a time. The Bulli concept is just that - a concept. But an obvious one given the history of the VW brand. And they do need/want a mini MPV in the Euro market which the Bulli concept would satisfy perfectly well. The concept shown wasn't actually targeted directly at the US market...and given the less than wonderful reception from the US market I'd say that it won't show up there anytime soon.

As for the rest of it....VW have never lost the 'T2 concept'. It still exists in the brand in the form of the T5 and (arguably) the Caddy Life. It's just that North America doesn't figure in VW's aspirations for either model. Mainly because it doesn't have the capacity (or need) to do so. Spending millions (or tens/hundreds of millions) to chase a few thousand extra sales is not great business.

It might be frustrating but to suggest that VW has failed as a result of not servicing your personal needs is self centred in the extreme. You needn't take it personally that VW doesn't think the world revolves around you....

01-30-2012 09:25 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
      I actually like the Up! concept. The range of new small cars off the one tiny platform is a clever way to occupy a few niches at a time. The Bulli concept is just that - a concept. But an obvious one given the history of the VW brand. And they do need/want a mini MPV in the Euro market which the Bulli concept would satisfy perfectly well. The concept shown wasn't actually targeted directly at the US market...and given the less than wonderful reception from the US market I'd say that it won't show up there anytime soon.

As for the rest of it....VW have never lost the 'T2 concept'. It still exists in the brand in the form of the T5 and (arguably) the Caddy Life. It's just that North America doesn't figure in VW's aspirations for either model. Mainly because it doesn't have the capacity (or need) to do so. Spending millions (or tens/hundreds of millions) to chase a few thousand extra sales is not great business.

It might be frustrating but to suggest that VW has failed as a result of not servicing your personal needs is self centred in the extreme. You needn't take it personally that VW doesn't think the world revolves around you....
      I was coming from a marketing and cost perspective. Yes, the T5 is notably the modern T2, again no product offering. Secondly, Doesn't the touran or the golf plus cover that mini MPV segment already? again more market segments VW excuses themselves from. As for personal needs, If I was expecting that kind of service I'd move to europe, where VW offers a more diverse product offering and the volkswagen exculsive program. The mindset that the VW bus wouldn't sell is alittle short sighted. A properly priced and marketed vw bus that doesn't get killed by tariffs and import duties would sell fine.

12. Member
      01-31-2012 07:10 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_Hippie View Post
      I was coming from a marketing and cost perspective. Yes, the T5 is notably the modern T2, again no product offering. Secondly, Doesn't the touran or the golf plus cover that mini MPV segment already? again more market segments VW excuses themselves from. As for personal needs, If I was expecting that kind of service I'd move to europe, where VW offers a more diverse product offering and the volkswagen exculsive program. The mindset that the VW bus wouldn't sell is alittle short sighted. A properly priced and marketed vw bus that doesn't get killed by tariffs and import duties would sell fine.
      Touran, Golf wagon and Caddy Life are all one or more sizes up the range than the prospective Up based Bulli. The Up platform is smaller than that of the Polo. We are talking sub-mini. Think Fiat 500 size...

The mindset that the T5 wouldn't sell in the US is based on the price that they can get everywhere else for it (which is a lot more than North America is seemingly prepared to pay) even before the US punitive tariff and taxes come into it. Australia charges a flat 5% import tariff on the T5 and we still look at around $45K for the family passenger version of the T5 before the 10% GST and on road costs. And that's pretty similar to what the Germans pay in for the same thing. Why would VW sacrifice 10,000 euros per unit to get the T5 into the US market at a price point (US$30K) that you guys seem to want to pay?

It explains why VW have produced a cut-rate US version only Jetta/Passat based on a bitsa of various past and present models.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      01-31-2012 08:19 PM #48
      If it came with a pop up roof and an air mattress, I'd consider it. Especially if they throw a turbo diesel in it.

14. 01-31-2012 10:27 PM #49
      A properly priced and marketed vw bus that doesn't get killed by tariffs and import duties would sell fine.
      The tariff problem was never a significant problem with any of the T-series range in the US because it only applies to non-passenger vehicles. This kept out the cargo versions of the Transporters but passenger and camper versions weren't subjected to it and VW sold many of the passenger and camper versions here.

These are interpreted larges as minivans and that market here has been dwindling since the late 1990s though and the higher cost of vehicles built in Germany does however play into it. Simultaneously build the vans in the US or Mexico and that should help but VW I guess didn't want to tool up for that. I suppose VW could have built them exclusively in Mexico or the US and exported to the world but perhaps the capacity just wasn't there?

15. 01-31-2012 10:30 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
      The Bulli concept is just that - a concept.
      True, but it's very misleading to call it Bulli.

Secondly, Doesn't the touran or the golf plus cover that mini MPV segment already?
      Touran maybe but the Golf Plus is a tall Golf but it's not really any longer (well, not enough to cross over and up into any kind of mini-MPV realm).

16. Member
      02-01-2012 06:49 PM #51
      True, but it's very misleading to call it Bulli.
      You want honesty from an automotive manufacturer?

Actually I'm not entirely certain they actually called it the Bulli. Rather they referenced the Bulli of old in the sales pitch. Which is probably the same thing...

Besides, given the way VW have named the Up range to date I hardly think 'Bulli Up' is going to win over the marketing department.

Hmmmm...'Full Up'?

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      07-16-2012 02:38 PM #52
      First to market with a diesel (preferably) or hybrid (not so preferably) vehicle with a folding 3rd row gets my money.

I'm looking at you, 2014 Microbus or Ford C-Max.

If none of that works, I'd be perfectly happy with a diesel Sharan.

Anything but a Routan.

07-16-2012 03:27 PM #53
      In the end I hope VW captures the essence of the bus. The bulli concept is lacking. Maybe VW should go back to Ben Pon's original drawings and take some notes.
      Keep it German.

07-17-2012 05:50 PM #54
      unless it has 6-7 seater option, meh
      i really need a T5 size minivan with diesel and manual shifter, bring that over, i'll be the first in line to get it

07-17-2012 06:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by windhys View Post
      unless it has 6-7 seater option, meh
      i really need a T5 size minivan with diesel and manual shifter, bring that over, i'll be the first in line to get it
      I'll be right behind you for a California/Westfalia TDI with a stick. It be really cool if VW used the lines of the micro bus concept and pull on some that heritage. I hope VW keeps the build quality to german/euro spec and not corrolla-ize the whole brand.
      Keep it German.

07-17-2012 06:31 PM #56
      I have enough 5 seaters VW collection. I don't need another one. What I'm missing is a 6-7 seater with 30+MPG to take extra passengers for the weekend. Until VW brings in a proper minivan (not the routancrap), we just gonna keep driving 2 cars to haul an extra passenger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12