Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 930

    Thread: The ask a stupid question thread

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 09:38 AM #1
      I hate to create a thread for a quick answer but I thought hey, maybe we can just have a catch-all for stupid questions asking for an easy answer. If you know the answer, just quote the question and bang it out.


      I'll start (sorry in advance). I have a 2011 JSW. What ****ing mirrors do I have? MK5 or MK6. MK5 right?

      xoxo
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    2. Member Feyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2002
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,852
      Vehicles
      (Prev: '97 Golf GL, '05.5 Jetta V, '03 BMW Z4, '08 BMW 135i), Curr: 2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Touareg TDI
      02-25-2011 09:42 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post
      I hate to create a thread for a quick answer but I thought hey, maybe we can just have a catch-all for stupid questions asking for an easy answer. If you know the answer, just quote the question and bang it out.


      I'll start (sorry in advance). I have a 2011 JSW. What ****ing mirrors do I have? MK5 or MK6. MK5 right?

      xoxo
      I'm gonna go with Mk6. It was my impression that the SW was a "Golf" up until the B pillar.



      I applaud the effort on the thread... I'm afraid the issue (as it's always been) is people coming to the realization that their question was stupid in the first place.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 09:53 AM #3
      haha thanks. The only reason I ask is that I ordered mirrors from parts4euro and they clearly don't fit. The only reason I ask is that my mirrors have blinkers on the bottom as opposed to the blinkers being in the middle on MK6's.
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2010
      Posts
      577
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      02-25-2011 09:56 AM #4
      The JSW has Mk5 mirrors.

      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      I am 100% correct. The "MK6 JSW" is still a MK5 with a new front end and dash. The mirrors are still MK5 not the newer style.

      JSW


      Golf

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 09:57 AM #5
      God bless you one and all. I shall go forth and order in confidence.

      *bald eagle flies in the distance
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    6. Member Feyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2002
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,852
      Vehicles
      (Prev: '97 Golf GL, '05.5 Jetta V, '03 BMW Z4, '08 BMW 135i), Curr: 2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Touareg TDI
      02-25-2011 10:10 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ArtieMacKinlay View Post
      The JSW has Mk5 mirrors.
      oh wow did I fail..

    7. Member 4ceFed4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      6,485
      Vehicles
      '10 JSW, '01 Golf, '08 MCS, '12 Fusion
      02-25-2011 10:15 AM #7
      Does having the MK6 dash means that it takes a MK6 euroswitch? Or is there no difference between the MK5/MK6 euroswitches?

    8. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 10:16 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post
      God bless you one and all. I shall go forth and order in confidence.

      *bald eagle flies in the distance
      I can already tell this thread is gonna be covered in Epic Sauce with a side of Epic Fries and maybe even Epic Soda with Epic Free Refills. To this I applaud you Joey, you have brought something amazing to us all.

      Now...lets get some more stupid questions goin on.

      I have a GTI. How many wheels does it come with? After how many miles do I need to refill my headlight fluid?

    9. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      19,125
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      02-25-2011 10:19 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post
      I hate to create a thread for a quick answer but I thought hey, maybe we can just have a catch-all for stupid questions asking for an easy answer. If you know the answer, just quote the question and bang it out.


      I'll start (sorry in advance). I have a 2011 JSW. What ****ing mirrors do I have? MK5 or MK6. MK5 right?

      xoxo
      You forgot to add the important disclaimer for those with low self esteem who like to make others feel retarded.


      No flaming in the stupid question thread.
      Last edited by Squirrel Nuts; 02-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.

    10. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 10:26 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      You forgot to add the important disclaimer for those with low self esteem who like to make others feel inadequate.


      No flaming in the stupid question thread.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 10:34 AM #11
      Here's a nice little tip for you JSW owners out there looking to install a euroswitch...

      After pulling apart my lower dash, pulling apart my CECM plug and finding no open spot for a trigger wire, I found out, hey! JSW's don't need that. Thanks to ECS and loads of DIY's in here, what could have been a 15 second installation, it turned into 20 minutes of my life I will never get back!
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    12. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 10:56 AM #12
      actually i do have a dumb question for you guys but kinda new for me.

      So new GTI is first new car I've had. I figure I'll wait till summer to chip it so I can break in engine first. make sense or does it really not matter at all if I chip it immediately?

    13. Senior Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      34,191
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      02-25-2011 10:56 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 4ceFed4 View Post
      Does having the MK6 dash means that it takes a MK6 euroswitch? Or is there no difference between the MK5/MK6 euroswitches?
      No difference. Just make sure that you get the US spec Euroswitch. Weird I know, but it is the one without the auto feature.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    14. Senior Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      34,191
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      02-25-2011 10:58 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by .panda. View Post
      actually i do have a dumb question for you guys but kinda new for me.

      So new GTI is first new car I've had. I figure I'll wait till summer to chip it so I can break in engine first. make sense or does it really not matter at all if I chip it immediately?
      Wait 1,000 miles. My .02

      If you are installing a supercharger it is best to install it ASAP or as low of miles as possible, so the motor can break in with the S/C.

      On a stock turbo, since you are just upping the boost and air/fuel etc, it is best to let the motor have an easy break in and then go from there.

      So again my .02 wait 1,000 miles to tune it.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    15. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 11:03 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Wait 1,000 miles. My .02

      If you are installing a supercharger it is best to install it ASAP or as low of miles as possible, so the motor can break in with the S/C.

      On a stock turbo, since you are just upping the boost and air/fuel etc, it is best to let the motor have an easy break in and then go from there.

      So again my .02 wait 1,000 miles to tune it.
      Yeah that's what I figured. My Jetta was a 2.slow so I never really did anything to it. Now that I have close to twice the hp I wanna take care of the engine.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2010
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      231
      Vehicles
      MKVI 2.5
      02-25-2011 11:04 AM #16
      Oh man where was this thread 2 days ago when I had a stupid question about reflex silver side markers???



      j/k I think this is a great idea I'm sure I'll be here a lot...since I'm vworthless.

    17. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 11:08 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by alexkball View Post
      Oh man where was this thread 2 days ago when I had a stupid question about reflex silver side markers???



      j/k I think this is a great idea I'm sure I'll be here a lot...since I'm vworthless.
      I just LOLed.

    18. 02-25-2011 11:18 AM #18
      I have a stupid question...

      let me start by saying this, the only automatic car i had was a g35x, so i was wondering do the auto gti's have paddle shifters next to the steering wheel or are they like the G and u just up shift on the gear changer???

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 11:23 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk6_Ef9 View Post
      I have a stupid question...

      let me start by saying this, the only automatic car i had was a g35x, so i was wondering do the auto gti's have paddle shifters next to the steering wheel or are they like the G and u just up shift on the gear changer???
      Paddle. They also sell neat paddle extensions which I would like to own if I had an auto.
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    20. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 11:26 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Joey Russo View Post
      Paddle. They also sell neat paddle extensions which I would like to own if I had an auto.
      Could you send me the link for these? And yeah they're paddles on the wheel itself.

    21. Member evosky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Location
      noVA / DE
      Posts
      7,487
      Vehicles
      a van
      02-25-2011 11:28 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk6_Ef9 View Post
      I have a stupid question...

      let me start by saying this, the only automatic car i had was a g35x, so i was wondering do the auto gti's have paddle shifters next to the steering wheel or are they like the G and u just up shift on the gear changer???
      DSG has both paddles and the gear shifter. however, VWAG likes to do up for + and down for - , which is counter-intuitive to me.

      here's my stupid question:
      where exactly are the jack/jackstand points? i know there are arrow indentations, but where to place the jackstands so that they don't bend the rails to all hell ? and yes i've seen the many pictures of mkVs ...
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      14,006
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      02-25-2011 11:33 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post

      here's my stupid question:
      where exactly are the jack/jackstand points? i know there are arrow indentations, but where to place the jackstands so that they don't bend the rails to all hell ? and yes i've seen the many pictures of mkVs ...
      Look in the obvious locations and there is a 4" wide section that is 1/8" lower than the pinch seam and visually thicker. It's safer to jack at those locations.

      If you are really anal about your seams, you can always jack at where the control arm hinges are
      Follow my Audi 100, (I mean MK1), (I mean MK3) build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    23. 02-25-2011 11:47 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      DSG has both paddles and the gear shifter. however, VWAG likes to do up for + and down for - , which is counter-intuitive to me.

      here's my stupid question:
      where exactly are the jack/jackstand points? i know there are arrow indentations, but where to place the jackstands so that they don't bend the rails to all hell ? and yes i've seen the many pictures of mkVs ...
      Thanks

    24. Member NUEPIC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2nd, 2003
      Location
      North of the City, NY
      Posts
      1,021
      Vehicles
      '10 gti
      02-25-2011 11:48 AM #24
      Thank god for this thread, now I can ask, when you guys talk about rolling your fenders I assume you mean the fronts only? because the rears don't have the inner lip that that fronts do.
      I'm sorry

    25. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      9,729
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      02-25-2011 11:57 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by NUEPIC View Post
      Thank god for this thread, now I can ask, when you guys talk about rolling your fenders I assume you mean the fronts only? because the rears don't have the inner lip that that fronts do.
      I'm sorry
      Correct
      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    26. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      Newport Coast, CA
      Posts
      35,824
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-25-2011 12:11 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by NUEPIC View Post
      Thank god for this thread, now I can ask, when you guys talk about rolling your fenders I assume you mean the fronts only? because the rears don't have the inner lip that that fronts do.
      I'm sorry
      yup, you can pull the rears slightly though

    27. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      19,125
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      02-25-2011 12:15 PM #27
      What does VW stand for??




    28. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 12:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      What does VW stand for??



      Verizon Wireless.


    29. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      19,125
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      02-25-2011 12:31 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by .panda. View Post
      Verizon Wireless.

      Doh.

    30. Banned .panda.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      4,008
      Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 4-Dr
      02-25-2011 01:32 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      Doh.
      I had to...

    31. 02-25-2011 01:36 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      No difference. Just make sure that you get the US spec Euroswitch. Weird I know, but it is the one without the auto feature.
      Isn't "US spec Euroswitch" an oxymoron?

    32. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      19,125
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      02-25-2011 01:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by .panda. View Post
      I had to...

    33. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2011
      Location
      MD
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI Autobahn 2dr DSG in CSG
      02-25-2011 01:54 PM #33
      Here's one i can't seem to find an answer too.

      i have a Motorola Droid and it sync'd with just fine and transfered my phone book with out issues.

      My problem is intermittent. Sometime I can make a call using the phone menu and selecting a contact and other time I can't. When it doesn't work I can still hear the dialing happening, and I see the connection being made, but the person I called or myself can't hear anything. I've tried pushing the mute button to make sure it was the issue. I've turned the volume up on the phone and the RNS-315. Still it doesn't work. Then I'll try to call the same person later that day or the next day and it works fine. I'm stumped and I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer if I don't have to make one.

      phone info: Motorola Droid Android ver 2.2.1 kernel ver 2.6.32.9-g68eeef5 (not rooted) build FRG83D

      Car: 2011 GTI Autobahn w/nav rns-315 9w7 bluetooth.

      thanks

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2010
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      231
      Vehicles
      MKVI 2.5
      02-25-2011 02:25 PM #34
      Everyone (it seems) on Vortex talks about lowering, dropping, bagging, etc. etc. etc. in an attempt to get nice and cozy with the ground.

      My stupid question is a two-parter:

      1. Has anyone ever attempted to lift their golf/gti, etc. Esp. an MKVI?

      2. Would I be allowed back to Vortex if I did such a thing?

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2001
      Location
      Chambersburg, PA
      Posts
      1,257
      Vehicles
      09 CC (gf's)
      02-25-2011 02:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by alexkball View Post
      1. Has anyone ever attempted to lift their golf/gti, etc. Esp. an MKVI?
      Yes, lifting is possible. I've seen MKI's, MKII's, and MKIV's lifted. Never a seen a MKV or MKVI done tho.
      "Have you guys SEEN my old lady's pu$$?" --> friend
      "Six"---> Ben G's Build-Up Thread

      Previous VW's: 10 GTI, 81 Caddy 1.6D, 06 GLI (gf's), 98 Jetta TDI, 92 Jetta 1.6TD, 08 R32, 05 GLI, 68 Bug, 02 Jetta TDI, 86 Jetta 1.6TD, 01 GTI

    Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •