Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 930

    Thread: The ask a stupid question thread

    1. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-10-2011 01:51 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by boobert View Post
      How does the mkvi horn compare to the mkiv horn?

      I like the horn in my mkiv. Makes the car sound bigger than it is. I forgot to try
      the horn on my test drive :-/
      Horn's fine. The little fart that it does when you lock the doors via the remote, sucks fried ass.

    2. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      9,586
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      03-10-2011 03:09 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      Horn's fine. The little fart that it does when you lock the doors via the remote, sucks fried ass.
      Turned it off on mine
      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    3. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-10-2011 03:28 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by RedRabidRabbit View Post
      Turned it off on mine
      I did too but I didn't like not being able to know when it locked

    4. Member Feyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2002
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,828
      Vehicles
      1997 Golf GL, 2005.5 Jetta V, 2003 BMW Z4 (RIP), 2008 BMW 135i, 2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Touareg TDI
      03-10-2011 03:48 PM #74
      Doing the audi chirp retrofit is on my list... parts are pretty expensive though. Plus it looks like a relatively involved DIY, so I want to wait for warmer weather.



      I too have my horn off, but I would like some audible chime as well.

    5. Member enrique145's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2006
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      497
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI w/sunroof
      03-11-2011 05:44 PM #75
      What are the best aftermarket xenon lights I can get for my GTI?

    6. Member O_loung1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2001
      Location
      407
      Posts
      1,905
      Vehicles
      14 s4
      03-11-2011 10:23 PM #76
      at 2500 rpms why does my 2.0t sound like a e46 m3 @ WOT?
      vortex folding thread.................. ............. ............... ...... ............ ........... .... ... ......... ..... ........ .... ..... ... intention

    7. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2010
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SportWagen SE
      03-12-2011 02:35 PM #77
      Finally, I can ask my totally n00b and stupid question:

      '11 JSW owner.

      What is the proper order for getting springs, spacers and new rims on my car. Do I need to install sport springs before I get the rims, or do I get the rims and base what springs I buy on them? And then spacers come last I imagine...

      Thanks in advance!

    8. Member acdelco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2nd, 2006
      Location
      GB WI
      Posts
      302
      Vehicles
      10' GTI, 03' GTI 24v VR6, 82' soft top Rabbit
      03-12-2011 02:52 PM #78
      I have always heard drop first, then wheels and spacers together

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2010
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      363
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      03-12-2011 04:04 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by enrique145 View Post
      What are the best aftermarket xenon lights I can get for my GTI?
      I have USP Motorsports 4300K HID's (same 'K' as stock):

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ories-and-LEDs

      Highly recommended, a PITA to install, but worth it...

    10. 03-13-2011 08:20 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by boobert View Post
      How does the mkvi horn compare to the mkiv horn?

      I like the horn in my mkiv. Makes the car sound bigger than it is. I forgot to try
      the horn on my test drive :-/
      I have both cars and I HATE the horn on my mk6. A girl said to me that my horn sounds cute. mk4 is a deeper tone than the mk6. Actually to be honest I just realized I never actually used the horn. I am going by the way the horn sounds when you lock the car, which I turned off cause it's "cute".

    11. 03-13-2011 08:26 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      What does VW stand for??



      I am guessing your joking but in case your not, it stands for "The people's car". VW was started from Hitler's concepts to create a new Germany.

    12. 03-13-2011 02:16 PM #82
      My stupid question:

      What is the "coming home" feature??? I hear it alot and have no clue wtf you guys are talking about.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      13,967
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      03-13-2011 04:07 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by coostov View Post
      Finally, I can ask my totally n00b and stupid question:

      '11 JSW owner.

      What is the proper order for getting springs, spacers and new rims on my car. Do I need to install sport springs before I get the rims, or do I get the rims and base what springs I buy on them? And then spacers come last I imagine...

      Thanks in advance!
      If you're getting just springs, you might as well get those first. Then wheels and then spacers if needed. With a spring drop, spacing out your car really won't do that much good due to you still having wheel gap but it helps a bit visually. Obviously, the best way to get wheels is to get ones that have the proper offset in the first place
      Follow my MK1 build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    14. 03-14-2011 09:59 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by SanJoseJetta View Post
      My stupid question:

      What is the "coming home" feature??? I hear it alot and have no clue wtf you guys are talking about.
      Bump for an answer! >>> here have a beer

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      13,967
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      03-14-2011 10:03 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by SanJoseJetta View Post
      Bump for an answer! >>> here have a beer
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awaNW...1&feature=fvwp
      Follow my MK1 build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    16. 03-15-2011 12:34 PM #86
      Thanks Joey!.......But that can't be a very good feature for those HID's. They take time to heat up....i wouldn't think you would want them turning on and off like that.

    17. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      9,586
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      03-15-2011 12:46 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      I did too but I didn't like not being able to know when it locked
      It still flashes the signals, and the red light flashes on the drivers door.
      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    18. Junior Member theharleyquin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      99
      Vehicles
      '10 GTI DSG
      03-15-2011 02:04 PM #88
      I've been reading the forums for a long time but have a question: What's the maximum torque limit for the MK6 DSG? I know APR has been running Stage 3 Kits on their cars for a while (Arin I'm looking in your direction) with ft/lbs around 320+. Just curious to know what the max limit is stock without upgrading clutch packs.

    19. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-15-2011 03:19 PM #89
      Remember, stupid question thread...

      What do bumpstops on coilovers do? Why do some cut em?

    20. Member Pete W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2005
      Location
      Festus, MO
      Posts
      768
      Vehicles
      2010 2.5 2 door Golf
      03-15-2011 03:32 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      Remember, stupid question thread...

      What do bumpstops on coilovers do? Why do some cut em?
      They stop the bumps. Some people like to feel the bumps. Duh that was a stupid question or was that a stupid answer you pick

      Okay I can't just leave it at that.

      The main reason for bump stops is to prevent the damper from bottoming out under full compression as it could destroy the dampers. If you use the factory stops and you put lowering springs in some cases the bumps top won't allow you to have any room for the springs to compress thus you would be riding on the bump stops or a rigid suspension.

      I personally remove them whenever I change springs.
      Last edited by Pete W.; 03-15-2011 at 03:36 PM.

    21. Member VE2ITAS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      205
      03-15-2011 03:35 PM #91
      Here is a question that i fear is too stupid for a thread of its own...

      Is there anyway (through VAGcom or something) to make it so the tacho, speedometer things, wind up entirely (speedometer, rpm, gas, temp...etc) at start up ...

      like they do on start up for example, the golf r....corvette, ferrari...etc

      sorry, i just dont know the actual term of what im trying to describe

    22. Member Pete W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2005
      Location
      Festus, MO
      Posts
      768
      Vehicles
      2010 2.5 2 door Golf
      03-15-2011 03:38 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by VE2ITAS View Post
      Here is a question that i fear is too stupid for a thread of its own...

      Is there anyway (through VAGcom or something) to make it so the tacho, speedometer things, wind up entirely (speedometer, rpm, gas, temp...etc) at start up ...

      like they do on start up for example, the golf r....corvette, ferrari...etc

      sorry, i just dont know the actual term of what im trying to describe
      I used to have a pontiac that did that. I want to know as well.

    23. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-15-2011 03:42 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by VE2ITAS View Post
      Here is a question that i fear is too stupid for a thread of its own...

      Is there anyway (through VAGcom or something) to make it so the tacho, speedometer things, wind up entirely (speedometer, rpm, gas, temp...etc) at start up ...

      like they do on start up for example, the golf r....corvette, ferrari...etc

      sorry, i just dont know the actual term of what im trying to describe
      You mean the gauge sweep?

      Yeah, there's the coding somewhere around here you'll just have to search for it.

    24. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-15-2011 03:43 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Pete W. View Post
      They stop the bumps. Some people like to feel the bumps. Duh that was a stupid question or was that a stupid answer you pick

      Okay I can't just leave it at that.

      The main reason for bump stops is to prevent the damper from bottoming out under full compression as it could destroy the dampers. If you use the factory stops and you put lowering springs in some cases the bumps top won't allow you to have any room for the springs to compress thus you would be riding on the bump stops or a rigid suspension.

      I personally remove them whenever I change springs.
      Ah okay. Thanks.

    25. Member VE2ITAS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2010
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      205
      03-15-2011 03:47 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      You mean the gauge sweep?

      Yeah, there's the coding somewhere around here you'll just have to search for it.
      thank you

      I will get to searching! GAUGE SWEEP FTW

    26. Member evosky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Location
      noVA / DE
      Posts
      7,320
      Vehicles
      a van
      03-15-2011 03:51 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by VE2ITAS View Post
      thank you

      I will get to searching! GAUGE SWEEP FTW
      yes, you need to have the specific control module/build date that supports that sort of thing (esp if you have a 2010 model). under VAGCOM it's called "instrument staging". it's so sweet to see it every time i start up the car
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

    27. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-15-2011 04:03 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      yes, you need to have the specific control module/build date that supports that sort of thing (esp if you have a 2010 model). under VAGCOM it's called "instrument staging". it's so sweet to see it every time i start up the car
      Yes, this too. I forgot. I have a 2010 and it worked thank God.

    28. Junior Member CheesyRider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      White Bear Lake, mn
      Posts
      65
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6MT
      03-18-2011 12:19 PM #98
      Will 16" wheels fit on a GTI or are the brakes too big?

      I'm just curious because my wife is thinking about getting a GTI and we have already have some 16" winter wheels that we purchased for her JSW TDI. If she does get the GTI, we are more likely to want to put them on that car and just stick with all season tires for the whole year on the JSW.

      On a side note, my wife loves her JSW, but feels it is too slow, hence the interest in the GTI. That's fine with me as I will get her JSW and get rid of my minivan if she makes the switch.

    29. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2011
      Location
      long valley, nj
      Posts
      11
      Vehicles
      2002 vw gti
      03-19-2011 08:22 PM #99
      is a 2.5 downpipe better then a 3 inch for a 2002 gti wih a 1.8T in it

    30. Junior Member CheesyRider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      White Bear Lake, mn
      Posts
      65
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6MT
      03-20-2011 10:28 AM #100
      This is the Alec Baldwin of stupid question threads. I actually had to resort to using Google to find the answer to my question. In retaliation for needing to use Google, here is a needlessly large photo showing 16" wheels on a MKVI GTI:

    31. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      18,952
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 Pressurized GTI
      03-20-2011 10:47 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
      This is the Alec Baldwin of stupid question threads. I actually had to resort to using Google to find the answer to my question. In retaliation for needing to use Google, here is a needlessly large photo showing 16" wheels on a MKVI GTI:
      Beeeeeefy.

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2011
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      162
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI
      03-20-2011 08:50 PM #102
      Here's my dumb question:

      Can the Jetta's rear hub brakes be swapped out with discs? What would be required? I realize the SEL and TDI's come with front/rear discs... so that's not the answer i'm looking for.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      DC
      Posts
      13,967
      Vehicles
      Too many to list here
      03-20-2011 09:01 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by snapon08 View Post
      is a 2.5 downpipe better then a 3 inch for a 2002 gti wih a 1.8T in it
      Depends what your future plans are. If you go 3" all the way back, sure, get a 3". Getting a 3" now and doing nothing later will just create a bottle neck for your exhaust flow when it mates to your OEM exhaust.

      Obviously, larger pipes and less restriction/back pressure is better for FI cars.
      Follow my MK1 build on Instagram. User name: jkrew or http://ink361.com/#/users/322773/photos

    34. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2011
      Location
      Alabama
      Posts
      25
      Vehicles
      11/VW/GTI MKVI
      03-20-2011 10:06 PM #104
      is there a auto dimming mirror for the MK6 that can be installed?

    35. Member s0l0ma's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2010
      Location
      Montreal,QC
      Posts
      102
      Vehicles
      '13 Jetta TDI Highline
      03-20-2011 11:05 PM #105
      is there a auto dimming mirror for the MK6 that can be installed?
      Yes, but you really do not want that...
      It's a HUGE PITA with windshield replacement and wiring
      Last edited by s0l0ma; 03-20-2011 at 11:09 PM.
      Тракторист

    Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •