Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask a stupid question thread

1. 05-07-2012 06:58 PM #596
      what does your car sound like when you shut it off.. mine seems like a crappy clank clank clank.. anyone else hear this sound

Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf 4dr 2.5l
      05-07-2012 07:06 PM #597
      Quote Originally Posted by CWmk6gti View Post
      what does your car sound like when you shut it off.. mine seems like a crappy clank clank clank.. anyone else hear this sound
      I always think it's about to transform and dance.

/// Brooklyn Auto Rennen
      -------------------------------------
      Finally took some photos.

3. 05-07-2012 09:20 PM #598
      no but it does sound like chit when i turn it off

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-08-2012 06:01 AM #599
      Metallic? You might be hearing the heat shields cooling of.

5. 05-08-2012 11:51 AM #600
      That is the sound of hot metal cooling off.
      Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
      Long-story-short: Outie5000 is right on all accounts.

Vehicles
      11' GTI
      05-08-2012 12:12 PM #601
      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      I believe people have had good luck with the dogbone inserts and transmission mounts.

It's really just a matter of having the proper amount of flex in your drivetrain (that includes suspension) to deal with it.

But if you're slipping around in the middle of gears (other than 1-2 and not on wet pavement) then you should probably learn how to drive properly within the powerband.
      The throttle is not an on off switch.
      I'm not an expert driver but I'm aware it's not an on off switch. Anybody use just one mount instead of all three? Do you get wheel hop from bouncy suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      | MTechnica | GIAC | APR | AWE | Magnaflow | SouthBend | FK Automotive | Tyrol | BSH | ST Suspensions | OEM | ETC |

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      05-08-2012 12:28 PM #602
      If you guys are calling yourselves geriatric posters with 10k posts since you've joined in 2010, then what am I? Scary question...

I have a 2011 GTI with 31k miles on it. Alright, so like an idiot yesterday, I pegged my tach at 8k RPM after messing up a shift (went 5-2 at maybe 60-65mph). Wheels didn't lock up, no real drama other than some pretty intense engine braking for about a quarter of a second before I slammed the clutch back in and continued driving like a normal person (I blame my new short-shift kit, which is hard to get used to).

The car drove fine the ~15mi home (and the 30mi to work today). Seems to have lost no power, no strange new noises (it sounded like a typewriter with the hood open but I think it did that before, anyways).

Am I likely okay, or should I pull the valve cover this weekend to make sure I didn't blow stuff up?

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      05-08-2012 01:11 PM #603
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      If you guys are calling yourselves geriatric posters with 10k posts since you've joined in 2010, then what am I? Scary question...

I have a 2011 GTI with 31k miles on it. Alright, so like an idiot yesterday, I pegged my tach at 8k RPM after messing up a shift (went 5-2 at maybe 60-65mph). Wheels didn't lock up, no real drama other than some pretty intense engine braking for about a quarter of a second before I slammed the clutch back in and continued driving like a normal person (I blame my new short-shift kit, which is hard to get used to).

The car drove fine the ~15mi home (and the 30mi to work today). Seems to have lost no power, no strange new noises (it sounded like a typewriter with the hood open but I think it did that before, anyways).

Am I likely okay, or should I pull the valve cover this weekend to make sure I didn't blow stuff up?
      You should be fine. You would notice if you bent a valve, rod, etc.

<---- Member since '01.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      05-08-2012 05:35 PM #604
      Cheap insurance, do a compression and leak down test.

2011 VW GTI DSG
      GIAC Stage 2, Ultimate Racing DP, Neuspeed P-Flo, DG Springs, RS-3 brake ducts, R20 tails, etc...

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-08-2012 07:01 PM #605
      Quote Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
      Cheap insurance, do a compression and leak down test.
      No need. If it's not throwing a code and revs freely, it's fine.

Consider yourself lucky
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

11. 05-08-2012 09:32 PM #606
      Outie5000 thanks for the brake answer

Here is a dumb one and honestly probably more paranoia on my part since I owned a i6 for years with zero issues hah. But I read about carbon build up on our engine due to DI, for right now I sit in minor stop and go traffic for a 1/4 of my commute will this produce more carbon build up in my valves? I am literately two weeks away from zero traffic to and from work and trying to just get through these two weeks without causing harm to the engine, love the car and happy with it from day one so I want to keep it running the best I can.

As I stated in the past I come from a world where I drove a 20 year old engine design and only worried about changing the oil ever 5 k, I am more knowledgeable about gears and suspensions when it comes to turbo motors I am left scratching my head so some insight be great!

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI. Prev owned: MKIII GLX VR6, B5 Audi S4, MKV 2.5 Jetta
      05-10-2012 12:47 PM #607
      Why is it that boost gauges read below the 0 mark on idle, then go up to 0 when it's actually getting boost? For instance in this video below from the boost gauge thread.

How do you read it?

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      05-10-2012 12:57 PM #608
      Quote Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post
      Why is it that boost gauges read below the 0 mark on idle, then go up to 0 when it's actually getting boost? For instance in this video below from the boost gauge thread.

How do you read it?
      Turbo engines produce vacuum at idle.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      05-10-2012 01:02 PM #609
      Quote Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post

How do you read it?
      I apologize for this reply, as I cannot see the video (firewall at work), but I will try to answer this.

Basically, cars pull vacuum at idle as they aren't producing boost- the turbo hasn't spooled up. inHG stands for "inches of mercury" and is a way of measuring pressure. Measuring vacuum/positive pressure are two different beasts, but that said, I believe it is more of a traditional thing- your ECU measures negative PSI, rather than inHg.

On a NA car (non-turbo, etc), you'll steadily pull between 15-20inHG at idle. WOT will drop the needle to 0inHG, and then it will again begin to slowly pull more vacuum. Turbo cars will pull vacuum at idle, but it will build PSI as engine speed increases.

Sorry I can't comment on specifics RE: this video, but I hope that helps.
      Last edited by FissionMailed; 05-10-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: corrected wording

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI. Prev owned: MKIII GLX VR6, B5 Audi S4, MKV 2.5 Jetta
      05-10-2012 03:26 PM #610
      I apologize for this reply, as I cannot see the video (firewall at work), but I will try to answer this.

Basically, cars pull vacuum at idle as they aren't producing boost- the turbo hasn't spooled up. inHG stands for "inches of mercury" and is a way of measuring pressure. Measuring vacuum/positive pressure are two different beasts, but that said, I believe it is more of a traditional thing- your ECU measures negative PSI, rather than inHg.

On a NA car (non-turbo, etc), you'll steadily pull between 15-20inHG at idle. WOT will drop the needle to 0inHG, and then it will again begin to slowly pull more vacuum. Turbo cars will pull vacuum at idle, but it will build PSI as engine speed increases.

Sorry I can't comment on specifics RE: this video, but I hope that helps.
      Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

05-10-2012 04:38 PM #611
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      Turbo engines produce vacuum at idle.
      Well, except for diesels.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

Vehicles
      2013 ST2, 2011 Touareg TDI
      05-10-2012 06:19 PM #612
      why dont diesels pull vaccum? What about how the work makes them different?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      05-10-2012 06:27 PM #613
      ^^Generally speaking, diesel engines use their gas pedal as an actual gas pedal. No real throttle to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by sfpegasus View Post
      Well, except for diesels.
      Or BMWs with Valvetronic, if we're going to play THAT game!
      Last edited by FissionMailed; 05-10-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: reply to guy above me

19. 05-10-2012 07:12 PM #614
      Quote Originally Posted by coneklr View Post
      why dont diesels pull vaccum? What about how the work makes them different?
      Diesels use compression to ignite the fuel, so instead of using a spark to ignite combustion, it uses high compression and Boyle's law to generate the combustion. Basically, it's a giant air pump, so air is always at atmospheric (0 psi) or higher (boost). If there was a vacuum, there wouldn't be a combustion, and then you wouldn't have a running motor.

The way they control this is by not having a throttle plate. In your gas motor, your throttle pedal opens and closes a valve that regulates the air. When you're at idle, that valve is closed, so your engine is not getting much fresh air to operate. In the diesel, there isn't that plate, so it's basically WOT (if we're comparing it to gas motors) which means that everything is at equal pressure until the turbo starts spinning.

Make sense?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      05-10-2012 10:55 PM #615
      What bulb type are the DRL's for a GTI with Halogen headlights?

I am looking for amber bulbs for these.. ...
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

21. 05-11-2012 12:17 AM #616
      Quote Originally Posted by Col-Buddy-Greenleaf View Post
      What bulb type are the DRL's for a GTI with Halogen headlights?

I am looking for amber bulbs for these.. ...
      I think they're h7's, but don't quote me on that.

22. 05-12-2012 06:47 PM #617
      My friend, a very nice guy, I'm starting to question on his advice on what I should do to my car. Got a 2012 gti 2 months ago, and starting to think upgrades.. Anyways, if I flash it (stage 1), and then put some konis on it later, will I need to reflash it?

Friend is trying to convince me they do the chip according to the specs of your car, I have no idea. What do you guys say on this?

Vehicles
      '12 GTI Autobahn,'04 Ram 4x4,'08 Harley Nightrod Special,'06 Yamaha Apex,'12 Arctic cat 1100 TURBO
      05-12-2012 06:49 PM #618
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
      My friend, a very nice guy, I'm starting to question on his advice on what I should do to my car. Got a 2012 gti 2 months ago, and starting to think upgrades.. Anyways, if I flash it (stage 1), and then put some konis on it later, will I need to reflash it?

Friend is trying to convince me they do the chip according to the specs of your car, I have no idea. What do you guys say on this?
      lol no
      '12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT
      Red Footwell lights | Rear View Camera | CIM Boost Gauge | VCDS Tweaks | EuroCupholder | SeatDrawers | Chrome Glovebox latch | CandyWhite Spoiler | 'R' LED Tails | Euro HL Switch | 35%-20%Tint | Hartmann HROC 19x8.5 ET47 | Conti DW 225/35-19 | H&R Super Sports
      My Mod-DIY-Build thread! | Pics!

24. 05-12-2012 06:51 PM #619
      Quote Originally Posted by rockerdan View Post
      lol no
      Thanks for the help, this is what I was thinking, didn't make much sense to me that I would have to rechip.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      05-12-2012 07:06 PM #620
      Flash, not chip. Chipping is ollllddd schooooll. Meaning you actually solder a chip on the board.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      05-12-2012 07:07 PM #621
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
      Thanks for the help, this is what I was thinking, didn't make much sense to me that I would have to rechip.
      Tell your friend he's an idiot. Why on earth....... Never mind

27. 05-12-2012 07:12 PM #622
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Flash, not chip. Chipping is ollllddd schooooll. Meaning you actually solder a chip on the board.
      The terms should really be used interchangeably now. It's annoying to see people correcting something that's essentially the same thing.

I guess they should really just say they got a tune.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf/1988 Cabby
      05-12-2012 07:22 PM #623
      Why have I ground going to third twice today
      Will Vag for Beer.

Vehicles
      '11 Gti
      05-12-2012 07:44 PM #624
      really quick and stupid question that i couldve looked up but decided to post here.

wat does the GTI Autobahn have that makes it different ?

Vehicles
      2011 MKVI DSG GTI
      05-12-2012 09:07 PM #625
      Quote Originally Posted by milfdoer View Post
      really quick and stupid question that i couldve looked up but decided to post here.

wat does the GTI Autobahn have that makes it different ?
      It's what VW calls the top trim or 'fully-loaded' model.

It comes with all the perks of the other trim levels + leather seats, KESSY (Keyless Entry Start System), Serron wheels on 2012s, a Dynaudio Premium sound system, and I think that's it...

Am I missing anything guys?
      2011 DEEP BLACK 4DR DSG AUTOBAHN GTI
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Most chicks that drive Escapes have a rug that needs trimming.
      Check this site out for free stuff!

31. 05-12-2012 09:22 PM #626
      Quote Originally Posted by wasim12 View Post
      It's what VW calls the top trim or 'fully-loaded' model.

It comes with all the perks of the other trim levels + leather seats, KESSY (Keyless Entry Start System), Serron wheels on 2012s, a Dynaudio Premium sound system, and I think that's it...

Am I missing anything guys?
      Sounds right to me.

It's basically a fully loaded car + leather. ( I don't think you can option the leather any other way)

Vehicles
      '11 Gti
      05-13-2012 03:00 AM #627
      ^^ ahh okay. thanks guys, that's been bugging me for some time now. hehe.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      05-13-2012 10:40 AM #628
      Quote Originally Posted by phish32786 View Post
      Why have I ground going to third twice today
      Happens to a lot of us. I'm convinced that something is wrong with the tranny since so many of us have issues with third. Strangely enough I haven't had any issues since swapping out the tranny fluid. Perhaps the lubricity of the OEM fluid wasn't allowing the synchros to engage properly. That's the closest conclusion I've been able to come up with.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-23-2012 02:31 PM #629
      Anyone have a pic of where the DV is located? I'm trying to figure out which version I have, but I have no clue where that f****r is.

35. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI Farenheit, 1998 Jetta GL
      06-23-2012 09:26 PM #630
      Hey Guys,

I am looking to do some performance upgrades to my GTI Farenheit. Before starting out, I am looking for some basic info on engines and specs. For example, if I want to add a bigger turbo, what is the boost range the 2.0 liter can handle?

Also, is there a part in the forum that goes over all the different systems, what they do, and how you can improve them? I know very little about cars but am trying to get better.

Lastly, when I am using the paddle shifters (DSG) and I am shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, if I take it too high (~5000 rpm) and shift into second, sometimes the car lurches and about bounces my face off the dash .

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am completely new to this and would like to get into it!

Thanks

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast