Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask a stupid question thread

1. 04-12-2012 11:21 AM #561
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      Foot pushes brake pedal, which applies pressure through hydraulic lines from the master cylinder to the brake piston hence applying your brakes. Where does the booster fit into this? And why?
      The booster applies "boosts" the pressure that your foot gives without letting you feel it, making the effort to push all that fluid much easier. If you run without one, or are coasting with the car off, you will notice how freaking solid the pedal is and how much effort it takes to get any sort of braking power with just your limb.

The booster effectively takes the throw of your foot on the pedal and adds a bunch of force behind it, so the pedal moves easily and you don't really feel the strain of having to push a few liters of fluid through tiny lines around the car.

Think of it like a beer bong. If you just had a tube of beer and tried to drink it without using gravity (which is effectively a negative pressure sucking the beer into your gut from the bottom of the hose) you would be stuck drinking like you would out of a glass, but move it into a vertical plane and allow the pressure to do it's work, and you've got a beer in 2 seconds forcing it's way into your gut.

Manual brakes = normal drinking beer, takes time
      Power Assisted Brakes = Beer Bong, instant beer
      Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
      Long-story-short: Outie5000 is right on all accounts.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-12-2012 12:15 PM #562
      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      The booster applies "boosts" the pressure that your foot gives without letting you feel it, making the effort to push all that fluid much easier. If you run without one, or are coasting with the car off, you will notice how freaking solid the pedal is and how much effort it takes to get any sort of braking power with just your limb.

The booster effectively takes the throw of your foot on the pedal and adds a bunch of force behind it, so the pedal moves easily and you don't really feel the strain of having to push a few liters of fluid through tiny lines around the car.

Think of it like a beer bong. If you just had a tube of beer and tried to drink it without using gravity (which is effectively a negative pressure sucking the beer into your gut from the bottom of the hose) you would be stuck drinking like you would out of a glass, but move it into a vertical plane and allow the pressure to do it's work, and you've got a beer in 2 seconds forcing it's way into your gut.

Manual brakes = normal drinking beer, takes time
      Power Assisted Brakes = Beer Bong, instant beer
      You should teach at a University.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      '10 GTI DSG
      04-12-2012 12:20 PM #563
      So enter a stupid DSG question. So I understand that the diverter valve lets off the boost pressure when the throttle body is closed. But when you upshift in a DSG theoretically the throttle body is never closed (foot is always on the gas) but the gear changes. Is there any "venting" of boost pressure when a DSG upshifts? If there is, is this venting while upshifting the DSG Fart sound?

4. 04-12-2012 01:56 PM #564
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      You should teach at a University.
      I was trying to think of something that everyone would understand, and that was sadly the first thing that came to mind.

I guess I could have compared it to a power steering pump vs manual rack...

Vehicles
      2011 UG MK6 GTI
      04-12-2012 04:16 PM #565
      Quote Originally Posted by theharleyquin View Post
      So enter a stupid DSG question. So I understand that the diverter valve lets off the boost pressure when the throttle body is closed. But when you upshift in a DSG theoretically the throttle body is never closed (foot is always on the gas) but the gear changes. Is there any "venting" of boost pressure when a DSG upshifts? If there is, is this venting while upshifting the DSG Fart sound?
      I don't know if there is any venting when up shifting, I do know the farts are from the car shifting so fast it makes an air pocket and which results in the beautiful fart we all hear and love

Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE
      04-12-2012 04:21 PM #566
      For those of you who have done the OEM hid retrofit on a factory halogen car, what bulbs and ballasts are you using? I don't want to believe that everyone is using the expensive OEM parts after paying an arm and a leg for the lights themselves.

Vehicles
      2015 Autobahn GTI / 2010 GTI (Totaled) / 2007 GLI (Sold)
      04-12-2012 04:23 PM #567
      I was trying to think of something that everyone would understand, and that was sadly the first thing that came to mind.

I guess I could have compared it to a power steering pump vs manual rack...
      Pumps and racks??

Vehicles
      2011 MKVI DSG GTI
      04-12-2012 11:46 PM #568
      Why is that about 30 seconds after a cold start the rpm drops a little on the GTI, as if the engine has settled?

And does this apply to TDIs/Golfs too?
      2011 DEEP BLACK 4DR DSG AUTOBAHN GTI
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Most chicks that drive Escapes have a rug that needs trimming.
      Check this site out for free stuff!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      04-13-2012 12:45 AM #569
      Quote Originally Posted by wasim12 View Post
      Why is that about 30 seconds after a cold start the rpm drops a little on the GTI, as if the engine has settled?

Every car I've ever owned has done this.

10. 04-13-2012 09:44 AM #570
      I just bought a new set of wheels and tires for my 2012 Golf. My question is, if the tires and wheels come with the old TPMS sensors installed (metal valve stems) will it screw anything up if I keep them on there even though the TPMS sensor for mine is in the wheel well and doesn't use the stem sensors? Also, since I am upgrading from the 15" steelies with 195 tires to a 17 inch wheel with 225 tires how much will my speedometer be off? Is there anyway I can change it myself without a VAG COM? I know about the option in the MFI for snow tires but I am looking for a way to permanently calibrate without having to bring it to a dealer. Thanks.

11. 04-13-2012 11:14 AM #571
      Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Nuts View Post
      Pumps and racks??

Do not question my authrotah.

12. 04-27-2012 06:14 PM #572
      I am coming from the world of a lifted jeep so bear with me, on my TJ I had to pull up pretty far and hard on my hand brake handle to get it to not roll when I parked it (always left in gear as well). On my new gti from my testing it seems 3 to 4 clicks is normal and it just takes a light pull. About what is normal for these cars? Thank you for any clarification you may be able to provide.

13. 04-27-2012 06:18 PM #573
      Quote Originally Posted by 12VWGTI View Post
      I am coming from the world of a lifted jeep so bear with me, on my TJ I had to pull up pretty far and hard on my hand brake handle to get it to not roll when I parked it (always left in gear as well). On my new gti from my testing it seems 3 to 4 clicks is normal and it just takes a light pull. About what is normal for these cars? Thank you for any clarification you may be able to provide.
      Fresh from the factory, they come with the brake cable overtightened, to allow it to stretch with use over the first few months of ownership.

It's normal for it to be real easy to keep it from going anywhere, but it's still a good idea to pull it up somewhat to hold it in place and give that cable the stretch it is intended to experience, otherwise you might end up with rear pads that drag and you'll go through a set every 10k.

Vehicles
      11' GTI
      04-27-2012 06:52 PM #574
      What shocks should I get with my Neuspeed sport springs to achieve a nice and not so bumpy ride and have the same dropped ride height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      | MTechnica | GIAC | APR | AWE | Magnaflow | SouthBend | FK Automotive | Tyrol | BSH | ST Suspensions | OEM | ETC |

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      04-28-2012 01:05 AM #575
      Asking this for a friend that just got a 2012 GTI. Will 18x9.5 wheels fit on the fronts?
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      Torque is a motherf***er

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      04-28-2012 01:12 AM #576
      Fresh from the factory, they come with the brake cable overtightened, to allow it to stretch with use over the first few months of ownership.

It's normal for it to be real easy to keep it from going anywhere, but it's still a good idea to pull it up somewhat to hold it in place and give that cable the stretch it is intended to experience, otherwise you might end up with rear pads that drag and you'll go through a set every 10k.
      So I should be pulling harder? Rears are dragging.

17. 04-28-2012 01:29 AM #577
      Quote Originally Posted by resilientsoma View Post
      What shocks should I get with my Neuspeed sport springs to achieve a nice and not so bumpy ride and have the same dropped ride height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      what shocks does NS pair them with in the kit? Use those.

18. 04-28-2012 01:30 AM #578
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      So I should be pulling harder? Rears are dragging.
      Generally speaking, it's better to give it a nice firm tug to really put tension on the cable and hold the car. If you're on level ground, no worries, but if you're on a hill, it's smart. And as the cable stretches, you'll need to go higher and higher with the pull to keep it at a firm clamping force until it stretches to it's limit.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      04-28-2012 01:36 AM #579
      Generally speaking, it's better to give it a nice firm tug to really put tension on the cable and hold the car. If you're on level ground, no worries, but if you're on a hill, it's smart. And as the cable stretches, you'll need to go higher and higher with the pull to keep it at a firm clamping force until it stretches to it's limit.
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      CW MK6 | Guard Red 964
      04-28-2012 11:02 PM #580

Vehicles
      11' GTI
      04-29-2012 11:31 PM #581
      what's a good way to plant the power to the ground and not slip all the time? and yes I have new tires.
      | MTechnica | GIAC | APR | AWE | Magnaflow | SouthBend | FK Automotive | Tyrol | BSH | ST Suspensions | OEM | ETC |

22. 05-01-2012 01:21 PM #582
      Quote Originally Posted by resilientsoma View Post
      what's a good way to plant the power to the ground and not slip all the time? and yes I have new tires.
      I believe people have had good luck with the dogbone inserts and transmission mounts.

It's really just a matter of having the proper amount of flex in your drivetrain (that includes suspension) to deal with it.

But if you're slipping around in the middle of gears (other than 1-2 and not on wet pavement) then you should probably learn how to drive properly within the powerband.
      The throttle is not an on off switch.

Vehicles
      '10 GTI DSG, '11 GTI 6MT
      05-02-2012 01:25 PM #583
      Anyone know where to pick up a lug cap removal tool.

Not sure if you can use the factory one that comes with the car to get these off..

Thanks!

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:26 PM #584
      Not sure what the factory one looks like on the new GTI's but it should work.

25. Banned
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-02-2012 01:32 PM #585
      To those people with mk6 golf/gti with the RNS-315 satnav and steering wheel control buttons, do your steering wheel radio control buttons work when the car is off to change station/track on the stereo? I ask because mine do not, which isn't that big a deal unless they're supposed to.

Vehicles
      '10 GTI DSG, '11 GTI 6MT
      05-02-2012 01:40 PM #586
      Not sure what the factory one looks like on the new GTI's but it should work.
      The factory dust caps have the hole in the middle and the tool that comes with the GTI is the little coat hanger thing that you put inside and pull off. Since the above caps don't have a hole for the coat hanger, was wondering if there was a tweeter like tool to grab the cap? I didn't see anything on ECS.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:47 PM #587
      I know the new Audi's have these tweezer type things. Check under there.

Vehicles
      '10 GTI DSG, '11 GTI 6MT
      05-02-2012 03:11 PM #588
      I know the new Audi's have these tweezer type things. Check under there.
      FWIW, Found the tool and more importantly the part #..

8D0012244A

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 03:14 PM #589
      Quote Originally Posted by oviewankenobi View Post
      FWIW, Found the tool and more importantly the part #..

8D0012244A

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-02-2012 03:23 PM #590
      Quote Originally Posted by wasim12 View Post

If I had to guess I would say that is the run time of your secondary air injection system and there may be a larger electrical load on the system while that pump is running. Once it shuts off, the car like you said, "settles down".

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 03:31 PM #591
      I always wait for the RPM's to drop after a cold start. Necessary?

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-02-2012 03:32 PM #592
      I always wait for the RPM's to drop after a cold start. Necessary?
      Yes that is the motor building oil pressure.

However, when it is 90F I wait only a few seconds and then drive softly till it is up to temp.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 03:43 PM #593
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Yes that is the motor building oil pressure.

However, when it is 90F I wait only a few seconds and then drive softly till it is up to temp.
      I wait either way.

05-02-2012 03:45 PM #594
      Quote Originally Posted by Der_Igel View Post
      To those people with mk6 golf/gti with the RNS-315 satnav and steering wheel control buttons, do your steering wheel radio control buttons work when the car is off to change station/track on the stereo? I ask because mine do not, which isn't that big a deal unless they're supposed to.
      I've got RCD-510 with the MFSW and nothing works on the steering wheel when the car is off.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

35. Banned
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-02-2012 04:22 PM #595
      Quote Originally Posted by sfpegasus View Post
      I've got RCD-510 with the MFSW and nothing works on the steering wheel when the car is off.
      Thanks! You've put my mind at ease.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast